If you become incontinent suddenly, what was your firsts thoughts when introduced to nappies/diapers?

bobbilly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
For the first time? Do you think they looked bulky/big? Was you embarrassed about wearing them for the first time and did it effect your self esteem.?

Yes to everything. But eventually I got past it.

Reactions: Jim100
At First a premium diaper looks huge but as time goes by and you get use to being diapered 24/7 they stop looking and feeling big
also your self confidence will go up as you begin to trust your diaper to do its job and you realize no one notices your wearing.

Reactions: Jim100, NotTheAverageMan and Jonnythepony
My incontinence is the result of a post-surgical mishap when I was 14 years old. I was not incontinent before the surgery and became incontinent very soon afterward. So my incontinence came about rather suddenly. Going to high school in diapers was pretty tough. However, I recognized from the beginning that wearing a diaper was much better than visibly wet pants and leaving puddles on the floor. In the 1950s when my incontinence came about, the only diapers available were cloth, which were harder to manage than modern disposables. But I managed to hang in there. As the old saying goes, whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger; and that was certainly the case for me.

Reactions: Jim100, lilshelly, Carnifex and 2 others
My IC has been on and off (as it’s neurological and it depends how I’m doing neurologically rather than physically) but I figured out pretty quick once I wet myself in a college classroom I should probably just suck it up and wear. I’ve been 24/7 for a couple months now and everything’s been fine. Nobody has ever said anything to me. I do still feel a sting to my self esteem though.

Reactions: Jim100
My incontinence was originally just part of being deathly ill a couple of years ago and family was fighting with nurses to get me retrained. Eventually they tried to take the nighttime diapers away but my aunt eventually caved. Now nobody cares anymore and I wear 24/7.

Reactions: Tommypickles
DanielW said:
The whole situation sounds frightening and surreal. Of course nurses don't have the authority to restrain patients at all...and I can see why they wouldn't if someone was "deathly ill" already.

I think memorychick was referring to bladder / toilet training… but at risk of hijacking the thread, I felt it was important to point out (based on personal experience) that having authority to restrain someone is irrelevant (at least in the U.S.); they can just do it anyway and then strike it from the record later. If it "never happened" then you have no legal recourse. If you want to be safe from restraint (especially if you are very ill, since the consequences can be life-threatening), you basically need to be sure that you are accompanied by a bodyguard for the duration of your stay.

Sapphyre is correct about what I was referring to - being retrained to use toilet instead of diapers. Was kept in diapers 24/7 longer than family wanted and they would not do it til I said hey guys can we try it please? Tried using commode but it was way too big, so I used a bed pan instead....at least for poop. Pee would leak everywhere so I continued to pee in diapers, at least until rehab where their commode was, thankfully, the right size as they would have needed me to use it regardless.

Last edited:
I felt with it if and on my while childhood, more than embarrassment was dealing with my frustrated and disappointed father. The doctors basically told my parents there was nothing wrong with me and was most likely being lazy. You can guess how well that went for me. Diapers at that point we a severe punishment and a last resort for my parents. I liked and wanted diapers, but I hated the way I was punished and yelled at because I was just being "lazy".

When I started wetting the bed off and on again in highschool, I decided to deal with it on my own, that sucked. Later in college, it happened again, it wasn't so bad then, I had the means and support to deal with it. Thankfully it was only a few months.

10 years ago it started again and it has ebbed and flowed in severety ever since. The hardest part was having to deal with this in front of my wife. As I've said in the past, she deals with it but doesn't like it. Prefers a diaper over a wet bed, but not by much.

bobbilly said:
For the first time? Do you think they looked bulky/big? Was you embarrassed about wearing them for the first time and did it effect your self esteem.?
I needed them after age 2 1/2 because I had wet the bed too many times. I was afraid that the bulge would be noticed. I wear them as little as possible now. Sometimes I get a full bladder and wish that I had one.

pgfdp said:
My IC has been on and off (as it’s neurological and it depends how I’m doing neurologically rather than physically) but I figured out pretty quick once I wet myself in a college classroom I should probably just suck it up and wear. I’ve been 24/7 for a couple months now and everything’s been fine. Nobody has ever said anything to me. I do still feel a sting to my self esteem though.
You shouldn't feel bad it's ok to wear diapers if you need or want it is not important the only people who have a problem with it might need to wear diapers as well but are to scared to actually do it just keep your head up and do what you need to do

I cried a lot. It took a long time to overcome this.

srmousse said:
The hardest part was having to deal with this in front of my wife. As I've said in the past, she deals with it but doesn't like it. Prefers a diaper over a wet bed, but not by much.

Same with my wife, she accepts it. But that's it. She want nothing to do with it.

heatherreynolds said:
I cried a lot. It took a long time to overcome this.

I just sucked it up. Sure it was a tuff one getting accustomed to, but I managed. Life went on

Reactions: Tommypickles
It was my wife that suggested adult nappies as my incontinence worsened. At first I was paranoid people would notice . Soon I realised no one cared if they did notice. Then soon I realised actually I quite like being in nappies and soon became DL as a result. Now after wearing 24/7 for over 7 years I just couldn't imaging not being dependant on them.

Mortified and humiliated. Paranoid in the public, feeling everyone knows. Dirty at home. Usually showered at least twice a day, to keep myself clean.
Know I know that a) noone can tell and b) even if they can, I can't really help it, so that's what I have as an undeerware.

People see what they want to see so nobody will really notice that you are wearing diapers and if they do most of them would not even mention it the only time I have had it pointed out was at a doctors appointment after everything was done and I put a dry diaper on she told me that my diapers are showing other than that not a single person knew as far as I can tell

It was horrible at first but with everything else in life I just grew to accept its a part of my life. It is what it is

Back