If you become incontinent suddenly, what was your firsts thoughts when introduced to nappies/diapers?

I was in an accident at 17 that started my incontinence, it was supposed to be full bladder and bowel incontinence but shortly after the accident I was only wearing at night and during times when I didn't trust myself to make it to the potty. Over the years I started having more and more back problems and started wetting during the day and went from maxi pads to man pads to pull ups to diapers 24/7 and I have been diapered 24/7 for over 9 years now. Diapers just seemed like the most logical choice for me, medicine, catheters, peter clamps, painful tests and doctor visits did not appeal to me at all and maybe that's because I wet the bed til age 14 and couldn't sleep without a goodnite on until I was 15 nearly 16. Even after that I would not sleep away from home without a goodnite because I was worried I would start wetting again. So yeah when I was thrown back into needing diapers I was pretty much like " oh boy this again yaay!" (Cue extreme sarcasm) now I love my diapers and own the fact that I have to wear them.

I adapted almost immediately. Neither bedwetting nor diapers affected my self esteem at all. I knew that I was damn smart, damn mature and a damn good athlete. Bedwetting didn't negate that in the least.

When I was a teenager, I suddenly went from wetting a small amount a few times a year to wetting heavily every night. My doctor strongly recommended diapers as a way to get a good night's sleep. We all assumed that the change was temporary reaction to something, and I'd go back to a few wet beds a year. After it became clear that it wasn't temporary, I

I tried the disposables that were available then, and they were useless. My mother made me diapers and bought me plastic pants. I was disgusted with it the first night, but waking up in a (mostly) dry bed (and wet diaper) convinced me it was a good idea. Until we worked out how much diaper I needed (a lot!), I had wet spots from leaks.

Initially, the bulk between my legs on my sides was uncomfortable.

It only took me one wet night to decide that diapers were OK, and a week or two to get used to sleeping in a big diaper. A very wet diaper is much better than a very wet bed. I could sleep through a wet diaper, but not a wet bed. And washing a wet diaper is a lot easier than stripping and washing wet sheets and remaking a bed.

By the time it became clear that the condition wasn't temporary, I was resigned to wearing a diaper.

initially I resisted wearing protective products. My urge incontinence became worse over time. I have had kidney issues and traumatic injuries that compounded my incontinence issue. I tried pads, commercial incontinence products, cheap drugstore adult diapers, expensive disposables, and finally cloth diapers. I have tried to deny my need for diapers, and failed. Acceptance is a slow process and eventually the need for diapers become a difficult but necessary part of my life. I am working through this issue with a therapist, and I feel safe exploring this dynamic. I am a very private person and tried to own the need but acceptance is still difficult. I was a registered nurse, and looked into the diagnostic testing and have decided that I will not be a "lab rat" that have no definite result.

Personally, i was involved in an ied attack in iraq, it damaged my lower spine. I was adamant this was temporary, but it just got worse the paon and spasms, nowaday its xaused by spasm. It ended muly career at 15 years. Byt today im ok it is what it is.

armydipr said:
Personally, i was involved in an ied attack in iraq, it damaged my lower spine. I was adamant this was temporary, but it just got worse the paon and spasms, nowaday its xaused by spasm. It ended muly career at 15 years. Byt today im ok it is what it is.

Thank you for your service

Reactions: Carnifex, KitsuneFox and armydipr
It was more along the line of ... "I better do something about these wet spots in my pants and bed, they are getting larger as time goes on".
Self esteem went up a bit after I no longer had to wear dark pants, nor did I have to wash my bedding so much .

Reactions: Biker666
Back