How many of you guys in the US even know about restroom access cards?

Diaperman95

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I am Sharing this link because I think this is a great law, that I have a feeling few people know exist. I wish it was a federal law and not just a state to state law. Basically if you have IBS, Crohn's, a ostomy or real medical condition like incontinence then you have the right to use a private employee restroom and a business can not tell you NO! There is rules to it and the size of the business in most states they need have to employee 3 or more people. If you read the Article you can see the ALLY's Law is named after a girl with Crohn's that her and her mother fought to get this right for people like us.

Check it out and tell me if you knew of this. I had not until tonight. Sadly I really wish Oklahoma would pass this same law too. If you have a restroom card and live in one of theses states let me know how it works and if nit people treat you fair when you use it.

Reactions: izzywop, Finny, dogboy and 1 other person
I'm in Canada, but in my opinion a law like that being followed is likely spotty. If a place outright refuses, what are you going to do about it? Call the police? Take them to court? It's great for those places that do, however.

Reactions: fleckothefennec
Diaperman95 said:
I am Sharing this link because I think this is a great law, that I have a feeling few people know exist. I wish it was a federal law and not just a state to state law. Basically if you have IBS, Crohn's, a ostomy or real medical condition like incontinence then you have the right to use a private employee restroom and a business can not tell you NO! There is rules to it and the size of the business in most states they need have to employee 3 or more people. If you read the Article you can see the ALLY's Law is named after a girl with Crohn's that her and her mother fought to get this right for people like us.

Check it out and tell me if you knew of this. I had not until tonight. Sadly I really wish Oklahoma would pass this same law too. If you have a restroom card and live in one of theses states let me know how it works and if nit people treat you fair when you use it.

Thanks for posting this. I was aware a while backof the push to get these laws signed, but I hadn't heard much about them actually getting passed.

Is a shame that the list of states that have passed the law is so limited. My state is not among them, though some neighboring states are.

The article suggests calling law enforcement if a business denied you the use of their restroom facilities, and getting in touch with elected representatives if law enforcement isn't seeking to do anything. I have to wonder how many cops are even aware of these laws and would be willing to write any sort of report or citation for a business that didn't follow the law. It seems like contacting a state legislator might be the more productive way forward.

Reactions: CptKirk
Interesting. I have used my fair share of employee restrooms while out shopping and cannot recall being denied if they had one. But I’ll bet the ones I asked who said “no we don’t have a restroom”, really did, they just did not want me to use it. Question. Are all retail businesses required to have restrooms for their employees? Might depend on the state.

My state doesn’t have this law because they are grossly pro-business, and we get so many tourists, many businesses will not let you use the restroom unless you are purchasing something from them. This topic is starting to get my blood boiling.

Reactions: Diaperman95
ltaluv said:
Thanks for posting this. I was aware a while backof the push to get these laws signed, but I hadn't heard much about them actually getting passed.

Is a shame that the list of states that have passed the law is so limited. My state is not among them, though some neighboring states are.

The article suggests calling law enforcement if a business denied you the use of their restroom facilities, and getting in touch with elected representatives if law enforcement isn't seeking to do anything. I have to wonder how many cops are even aware of these laws and would be willing to write any sort of report or citation for a business that didn't follow the law. It seems like contacting a state legislator might be the more productive way forward.
I bet most cops are not aware of the law. Or are not interested in enforcing it. Hell chicago PD just made a announcement that do to the defund them BS they are no longer investigating misdemeanor crime or burglary theft unless their is proof of Id of the suspect. They wont even look into it. Illinois is on the list. So they are not even going to show up if you tell them what it is for.
I have a feeling many of the cops would be pissed you even called them. But if they are not the ones living this life they will never understand. I think it is a good start to solve a real problem.
Eclectic said:
Interesting. I have used my fair share of employee restrooms while out shopping and cannot recall being denied if they had one. But I’ll bet the ones I asked who said “no we don’t have a restroom”, really did, they just did not want me to use it. Question. Are all retail businesses required to have restrooms for their employees? Might depend on the state.

My state doesn’t have this law because they are grossly pro-business, and we get so many tourists, many businesses will not let you use the restroom unless you are purchasing something from them. This topic is starting to get my blood boiling.
I would say most all place have a restroom. Maybe not all places like in a mall or something that has several central restrooms but employees have to pee too. So I would say most have lied to you.
I am starting to see signs popup in store every where that say no bags allowed. We have a gas station that we be going to for years in a small town and they told my wife the other day to leave her bag at the front door. I told her to go to the car that there are other places to shop. I mean I have traded at this place since 1997 and they know us well. Sad to because they have a employees only restroom that they have let me use several times in the past. Dollar General in our town says the same thing to leave all bags at the door. I mean some of us carry a bag for real reasons. My wife and I both are incontinent and she has a ostomy.

This is a good start and I am glad to see some states supporting this. I wish Oklahoma was one of them.

Reactions: Seasblewin
slimjiminy said:
I'm in Canada, but in my opinion a law like that being followed is likely spotty. If a place outright refuses, what are you going to do about it? Call the police? Take them to court? It's great for those places that do, however.
That's the problem with the US not having a left party, no law enforcement on companies. I don't want to get to politics, so this is the last thing I will say about this

• Love
Reactions: Diaperman95
littly said:
That's the problem with the US not having a left party, no law enforcement on companies. I don't want to get to politics, so this is the last thing I will say about this
It's just a practical reality. The same would be true in Canada or any free country. If there is no enforcement of that law, it is lame by default.

slimjiminy said:
It's just a practical reality. The same would be true in Canada or any free country.

A country cannot be free without a functioning democracy.

But we can't discuss things like laws and rights for disabled people on ADISC, as politics is banned.

littly said:
You are safe from me I will not report you for speaking the truth.

tiny said:
A country cannot be free without a functioning democracy.

But we can't discuss things like laws and rights for disabled people on ADISC, as politics is banned.
Yeah we best stop the subject now because someone is going to get you moderated if not. FREE SPEECH is dead online.

As much as I would love to have easier access to restrooms and avoid needing Diapers, realistically I don’t want to be in the position to have to advocate for myself whilst struggling to hold it. Just because something is a law, doesn’t mean your average place will know it or adhere to it. Having a diaper on is far more manageable than arguing with a store clerk and risking an accident.

I totally agree that things should be different, that places should be more accommodating for those of us who need easier access to restrooms.

I don't think the law is good.

I can quite imagine being alone in a shop, with a few people in it, and one of them having to use my toilet. How am I supposed to supervise the stock in the back and the store?

I think this sort of thing should be voluntary to some extent. And doing outreach would be good rather than mandating it.

I personally would probably be embarrassed anyway. Personally I don't have a bowel problem, only a bladder problem, unfortunately I've had a few instances where I've involuntarily filled my diaper, but since I'm wearing a diaper it's not that big a deal. I leave as soon as possible and go to the toilet to change, I don't want to be bothered by the smell.

Here in Europe quite a few countries have a handicapped toilet, universal key. Which is great, and where there isn't a universal key, but for example to pick up somewhere, I've never had a problem picking it up, only rarely have they even asked to see my card (disability certificate).

jaja said:
I don't think the law is good.

I can quite imagine being alone in a shop, with a few people in it, and one of them having to use my toilet. How am I supposed to supervise the stock in the back and the store?

I think this sort of thing should be voluntary to some extent. And doing outreach would be good rather than mandating it.

I personally would probably be embarrassed anyway. Personally I don't have a bowel problem, only a bladder problem, unfortunately I've had a few instances where I've involuntarily filled my diaper, but since I'm wearing a diaper it's not that big a deal. I leave as soon as possible and go to the toilet to change, I don't want to be bothered by the smell.

Here in Europe quite a few countries have a handicapped toilet, universal key. Which is great, and where there isn't a universal key, but for example to pick up somewhere, I've never had a problem picking it up, only rarely have they even asked to see my card (disability certificate).
If you read it you would know that businesses with less than 3 employees are not subject to it for that very reason and for leaving the store for theft. It does have restrictions but I myself am all for it. Most anyone who has ever worried about making it to a restroom can understand. Especially if bowel incontinent. I don't mind using my diaper to pee ever but I would rather make it to a toilet in time than have to shit myself and bomb the entire space I am in and then have to clean up and change. especially in public.

I don't know what type of incontinence you have. Maybe you are bowl incontinent too. But if you read all the finer print it might not sound as bad. Thanks for your reply though. It is a good point to bring up and sadly I could see a couple crooks trying to use it as a scam to be honest.

Diaperman95 said:
If you read it you would know that businesses with less than 3 employees are not subject to it for that very reason and for leaving the store for theft. It does have restrictions but I myself am all for it. Most anyone who has ever worried about making it to a restroom can understand. Especially if bowel incontinent. I don't mind using my diaper to pee ever but I would rather make it to a toilet in time than have to shit myself and bomb the entire space I am in and then have to clean up and change. especially in public.

I don't know what type of incontinence you have. Maybe you are bowl incontinent too. But if you read all the finer print it might not sound as bad. Thanks for your reply though. It is a good point to bring up and sadly I could see a couple crooks trying to use it as a scam to be honest.
I'm so sorry I didn't read it very thoroughly.
It makes sense that way. And it's probably not a bad solution.
But I stand by the fact that I don't like regulations, but rather voluntarism and education.
As for me being incontinent, I have UI, my bowels are under control, but there have been occasional mistakes here too.

jaja said:
I'm so sorry I didn't read it very thoroughly.
It makes sense that way. And it's probably not a bad solution.
But I stand by the fact that I don't like regulations, but rather voluntarism and education.
As for me being incontinent, I have UI, my bowels are under control, but there have been occasional mistakes here too.
Thank you but no need to apologize to me. I figured you missed that part. I hate regulations too . But the fact is if good hearted people existed that are willing to volunteer and do the right thing then this young person with Crohn's named Allie would not of had to poop herself in the middle of a Illinois retail store. I am all for everyone doing the right thing but some people need to be told what is the right thing and have a fine ready for them when it slips their mind to do the right thing.

I had bladder issues all my adult life and most my childhood. I am 46 now and but the last 3 to 4 years the Fecal IC started and went from once every 3 to 6 months to once or twice every 2 or 3 months. Now it is as much as 2 to 3 times a week. Sometimes even 2 or 3 times in one day and that has happened 2 times now.

I hope you never have to experience Fecal IC in any real amounts or very often...

Bathroom access in the USA is a well documented and under funded issue, and not just for those with different needs. The unhoused also have terrible options when it comes to bathroom access, to the point of criminalizing having to pee and poop because your human but not having any appropriate place to do it... IMHO, public facilities should be the norm, not the exception - and then it shouldn't be necessary to have laws forcing private businesses to also provide public accommodation to their employee facilities.

Interesting to know...with so many Starbucks with single occupancy bathrooms, it's like having a Key access on nearly every city corner.

Diaperman95 said:
Yeah we best stop the subject now because someone is going to get you moderated if not. FREE SPEECH is dead online.
If you want to go talk about politics it's OK just not here. It was a single comment, sorry for starting this.

Diaperman95 said:
Thank you but no need to apologize to me. I figured you missed that part. I hate regulations too . But the fact is if good hearted people existed that are willing to volunteer and do the right thing then this young person with Crohn's named Allie would not of had to poop herself in the middle of a Illinois retail store. I am all for everyone doing the right thing but some people need to be told what is the right thing and have a fine ready for them when it slips their mind to do the right thing.

I had bladder issues all my adult life and most my childhood. I am 46 now and but the last 3 to 4 years the Fecal IC started and went from once every 3 to 6 months to once or twice every 2 or 3 months. Now it is as much as 2 to 3 times a week. Sometimes even 2 or 3 times in one day and that has happened 2 times now.

I hope you never have to experience Fecal IC in any real amounts or very often...
It sucks, sorry to hear your story. I don't have any kind of IC, only IBS-D. And it sucks. But it's not the worst. Plus, I have an excuse to use diapers occasionally 😜

Diaperman95 said:
I am 46 now
By the way have you got checked out by a doctor? Could be cancer at this age, though I wouldn't be sure.

Back