How is everybody amongst all this Coronavirus stuff going on?

I heard on the news yesterday that the virus cannot survive on a cardboard box more than 24 hours. It's people you have to worry about.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
dogboy said:
I heard on the news yesterday that the virus cannot survive on a cardboard box more than 24 hours. It's people you have to worry about.
That's one of those annoying statments that 'experts' come out with which are based on laboratory experiments rather than real world experience.
There's loads of different types of cardboard, each with own porosity and ' breathing rate' (that comes from practical experience of pushing the envelope of stacking heights of palletized goods) and most cardboard which is handled, is usually covered in printing ink or plastic laminate.
It's like the revised advice for taking antibiotics where there was once the blanket statement of 'avoid dairy products', then revised to 'oh, you can take them with coffee or tea, that amount of milk won't affect absorption too much' to which was added 'but you shouldn't take them with hot drinks'.
😖🤬
(We really need the 'banging your head against a brick wall' emoji back)

I try to add a bit to whatever lengths of time are stated, just to be sure.

On Libera, I've not listened to their most recent stuff, but they've usually uplifting, aren't they? They became a bit too over-produced for my liking, so I mostly prefer the early stuff.

Cheesy vid warning (why do they bother ruining it with video? Just let the music speak for itself!)
That's the song which soothes my savage beast. And yep, I do sing it 🤫

Last edited:
The repeated emphasis on the importance of thorough and frequent hand washing tells me the experts must believe that viruses on surfaces is a significant mode of transmission for the virus. It's not the only way we get the virus but, obviously, it is one of the major concerns.

Well, I'm so used to staying at home due to the virus, but now I just can't feel safe at a job even if the economy does reopen. I'm sorry. :(

I'm prone to respiratory infections. Couple years ago I got pnemoniaiaiaiaiaia so bad I was coughing up blood. So in early February I stocked up on food lots of rice, meats, and beans. It's been awful on my digestive system.

it's been a vacation from work 😴

Reactions: Lyokodl
Distressed. The grandgirls' school packets came in...one of their assignments: "My COVID Time Capsule"...

And we were doing so well. 🙄

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: YbboB and tiny
The people in the article below had a bit of a shock. They were at sea, just as Covid-19 was spreading in China, having told friends they were getting away from it all and didn't want to hear any bad news.

And then they tried to find somewhere to dock and were puzzled to find the ports and borders closed...

Drifter said:
The repeated emphasis on the importance of thorough and frequent hand washing tells me the experts must believe that viruses on surfaces is a significant mode of transmission for the virus. It's not the only way we get the virus but, obviously, it is one of the major concerns.

As I understand it, coronaviruses are protected by a protein layer that is easily broken down with soap. This seems to be something that all the experts agree on.

The specific details, as to how long Covid-19 can survive on a particular surface, and how far infectious airborne particles are likely to spread are (from what I've read) still a bit uncertain, and based on educated guesses from similar viruses.

As I said the other day, I am doing okay so far here in Derry, New Hampshire.
This morning I used my rollator walker frame to walk up to the Derry Convenience store for a loaf of bread an a 2-liter bottle of Diet Pepsi Soda Pop.
Otherwise, I have been staying indoors.

I went hiking today with a couple/friends but we stayed 6 feet apart and we took separate cars to the trail. It was so nice to have someone to talk with and to get outdoors and into the woods and mountains. I had praise band rehearsal tonight which we recorded for the Sunday service. We were spread out on our stage so not breaking our state's rules.

Reactions: YbboB and BobbiSueEllen
tiny said:
As I understand it, coronaviruses are protected by a protein layer that is easily broken down with soap. This seems to be something that all the experts agree on.

The specific details, as to how long Covid-19 can survive on a particular surface, and how far infectious airborne particles are likely to spread are (from what I've read) still a bit uncertain, and based on educated guesses from similar viruses.
The soap solution doesn't seem to work on covid19 and covid19 also seems to be much hardier in the environment than normal coronaviruses. It's novelness seems to be in more than just it's emergence.
At the moment, as far as I've read, the only confirmed deadly solution is alcohol of the dilutions currently advised. I've been trying to find info on chloride based disinfectants of the likes of Dettol, bleach and Hibiscrub, but the virus hasn't yet been released for commercial testing. As far as can reasonably determined, chloride based products should destroy the virus, but 'dwell' times (the length of time needed for good effect) need to be adhered to, as they do with any disinfecting products.

The handwashing advice given out is about removing the virus and harbouring dirt (including bodily secretions).

Obviously, you'd think that 'they' would've tested other products, but I think that there may be a conscious effort to draw on local resources, such as breweries and distilleries, to produce a known disinfectant in good time rather than relying upon lumbering, centralized manufacturing and distribution, given the lockdown restrictions.

On social distancing, I recall an expert recommending ten feet distance, in the early days of advisories. Then somebody else said two metres and governments have run with that.

If it all seems like a struggle (and I'm mostly talking to you, Yankee Doodles, since you seem to be the only ones kicking up a fuss over lockdown restrictions), take a look at the Spanish Flu pandemic. What we have today is in no way unprecedented, and the virus will likely live on for years (especially since we didn't clamp down on it when it first reared it's head).

PBS is also running a documentary on Spanish Flu.

Last edited:
Reactions: tiny and BobbiSueEllen
At least 60% isopropyl alcohol will kill COVID. All I ever see marketed are the 50%, 70% and 85% varieties. Don't use the dollar store stuff, it almost always ends up being 50%.

BobbiSueEllen said:
At least 60% isopropyl alcohol will kill COVID
I made do with a pale ale with my curry:
IMG_20200422_161638960~3.jpg

I did an Asda big shop, this week.
I didn't flinch when I saw the snaking queue outside, but my heart sank when I saw the total: £90 😭
Add £15 for taxis 🤢

The good news is that the fresh pizzas are being made!
Got pies....and pies 🍽️
Got milk without having to beg (although my 4 cartons was queried).
No homebaking stuff, though. I think that we may have the last bag of flour in the village.

Spent the rest of the day stoked up on codiene 👽

• Wow
I am okay I guess, I'm just upset that I can't get my license because all the places are closed, and I was ready when I turned 18 (my parents are toxic and wouldn't take me when I was younger when able) Also my birthday passed and couldn't go celebrate properly. None of the people who support me have lost there jobs and I am really privileged and grateful for that. It just sucks because I am a student and have to do online schooling, and learning CAL on the computer is not ideal, but I am holding up.

🧚‍♀️ 🐤thanks for asking, hope anyone in a much worse predicament comes out of this okay.

also please people in the streets of the U.S .protesting quarantine, because they can't get a haircut GO HOME (facepalms) haha ;p
not the nurses protesting for gear 6ft apart the people with guns and sighns...go homeeeee.

Blathers said:
I am okay I guess, I'm just upset that I can't get my license because all the places are closed, and I was ready when I turned 18 (my parents are toxic and wouldn't take me when I was younger when able) Also my birthday passed and couldn't go celebrate properly. None of the people who support me have lost there jobs and I am really privileged and grateful for that. It just sucks because I am a student and have to do online schooling, and learning CAL on the computer is not ideal, but I am holding up.

🧚‍♀️ 🐤thanks for asking, hope anyone in a much worse predicament comes out of this okay.

also please people in the streets of the U.S .protesting quarantine, because they can't get a haircut GO HOME (facepalms) haha ;p
not the nurses protesting for gear 6ft apart the people with guns and sighns...go homeeeee.
Im sorry to hear you are struggling to be able to get your license because the DMV drivers license division offices aren’t open. I remember what a big deal that was for me, even though it was many years ago.

Reactions: YbboB, Blathers and BobbiSueEllen
Well, I am a bit blue today, maybe that might make me look a little bit like Bedtime Bear of the Care Bears

1588136330260.jpeg
But the truth is that my smile is missing and being blue is a sad thing, not just a color to indicate it is beddy bye bye nighttime.

Currently feeling the weight of many things in my own life, as well as the tough and depressing things of COVID-19 (I fortunately don’t have it, but just feeling the weight of its impact upon all of us), and the political game it is rather than managing it as a national (and global) emergency. It is hard not to be depressed at times from this alone.

I know that tomorrow may bring a new day of sunshine and brighter things, but currently this teddy bear🧸 is in need of getting hugs as it is hard right now to be soft and cuddly and give the love and cuddles that I usually do as part of being teddy bear.

If an ABDL diaper could talk, I would imagine they feel the same way. They are loved at first and people adore them when they are new, and have a great fondness for them, but after they get old, and are used and have had to take others crap for so long, they are then thought of as worthless, thrown out in the trash and forgotten.

I never thought an ABDL diaper could be used in an analogy of ones life, but right now that is very much how I feel. :cry:

just sad...

(I’ll be back to my happy teddy bear self soon, but right now just needing to let go).

1588136645795.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: YbboB, ade and BobbiSueEllen
TeddyBearCowboy said:
Im sorry to hear you are struggling to be able to get your license because the DMV drivers license division offices aren’t open. I remember what a big deal that was for me, even though it was many years ago.

Thank you for the kind words :3

I am sorry you too feel some strain. hopefully we can all feel better soon

Reactions: YbboB and BobbiSueEllen
TeddyBearCowboy said:
Currently feeling the weight of many things in my own life, as well as the tough and depressing things of COVID-19 (I fortunately don’t have it, but just feeling the weight of its impact upon all of us), and the political game it is rather than managing it as a national (and global) emergency. It is hard not to be depressed at times from this alone.
You started this thread with the idea of helping others cope with this, so you have that going for you. Thank you!

It is a depressing situation. Our nation is at the beginning of a serious pandemic and is facing economic collapse. Many people are experiencing personal financial crises. On top of that we have political instability and faulty or nonexistent leadership. Our already too large national debt has gotten significantly larger. We have grave concerns for the health of ourselves and our families, friends, and neighbors. None of this is going away anytime soon.

Have I cheered you up yet? :D:D:D

For me, one of the ways to approach the overwhelming problems we are facing is to try to maintain a sense of humor, or develop a sense of humor if we don't already have one. Being less serious emotionally may help us to be more serious in dealing with all these practical problems. It may seem impossible to force ourselves to see any humor in this, but it won't kill us to try, right? (Oh yeah, maybe it will! :D)

I think my sense of humor really helps me get through the day. The problem is that one usually uses humor when they're with someone else and most of the time I'm home alone. It brings a whole new meaning to the word alone. There is some promising news on the horizon where the virus is concerned. It looks good both for an effective treatment and for a flu vaccine. I'm sure it will take months to get enough of these into the market and to people, but it's coming. The stock market has been rebounding with the expectation that these two medicines are close. I guess we are weathering a storm. Sooner or later, all storms pass.

Reactions: Blathers, YbboB and Drifter
Back