How actively common is toddler resistance to potty training?

PurpleScorpion

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Other
Obviously, because of our focus, we can be blinded to the actual true statistics and reality of the world.

So, for anyone with experience with toddlers-your children, younger siblings, siblings of friends, nieces and nephews, kids of friends, working in a preschool/daycare, etc. how actively often did you encounter kids who were anti-potty? Not forgetful, straight-up tantrum-throwing at potty visits, the whole deal.

And if you have, what changed that eventually led to them getting potty trained? Their temper mellowing out via aging out of the Terrible Twos phase, change in perspective, bribery via chocolate, etc?

Reactions: Hell2DaNaw, oldskool and KittyninjaW
I have a cousin who actively resisted the “#2” portion of toilet training to the point where until he was almost age seven (about six and three quarters) he would go into to the corner of the room or find a hiding place in the back yard to “do his thing”. He usually did “#1” on toilet without complaint but even at age six he would throw a full-blown temper tantrum almost any time that anyone suggested that he use a toilet for “#2”. From what I have been told he even did this in preschool and in kindergarten.

He only stopped doing this after over three years of being put in timeout when he deliberately “went” in the wrong place. In addition he would be rewarded with chocolate or other sweets on the very rare occasions when he “went” where he was supposed to. Before his parents started with any punishments they took him to a number of doctors and made sure there were no physical or developmental conditions that would explain his behavior. After a full battery of tests (including (but not limited to) X-Rays and neurological tests) it was determined that he just liked the attention associated with his actions.

He eventually outgrew the behavior mentioned above through a combination of rewards, punishments, the passage of time, and some fairly mild teasing from both relatives and peers including a nickname that at least three or four relatives still call him as an adult decades later to this very day (despite outgrowing the behavior that led to his nickname).

He is the only example I have seen firsthand of someone this resistant to toilet training.

Last edited:
AJFan2020 said:
I have a cousin who actively resisted the “#2” portion of toilet training to the point where until he was almost age seven (about six and three quarters) he would go into to the corner of the room or find a hiding place in the back yard to “do his thing”. He usually did “#1” on toilet without complaint but even at age six he would throw a full-blown temper tantrum almost any time that anyone suggested that he use a toilet for “#2”. From what I have been told he even did this in preschool and in kindergarten.

He only stopped doing this after over three years of being put in timeout when he deliberately “went” in the wrong place. In addition he would be rewarded with chocolate or other sweets on the very rare occasions when he “went” where he was supposed to. Before his parents started with any punishments they took him to a number of doctors and made sure there were no physical or developmental conditions that would explain his behavior. After a full battery of tests (including (but not limited to) X-Rays and neurological tests) it was determined that he just liked the attention associated with his actions.

He eventually outgrew the behavior mentioned above through a combination of rewards, punishments, the passage of time, and some fairly mild teasing from both relatives and peers including a nickname that at least three or four relatives still call him as an adult decades later to this very day (despite outgrowing the behavior that led to his nickname).

He is the only example I have seen firsthand of someone this resistant to toilet training.
I would love to be potty trained. I find the idea amazing. Wearing full baby girl outfit. Dress, bonnet, tights, bib and placed on the potty for as long as my mistress or Nanny decides
usually until I pee or poo into the potty
I am then made to sit there on the potty after I have done my business for another hour in full humiliation.
The potty is placed in a very visible, public area so everyone can see me on it

Working in early education I can tell you that it is actually quite common for children to fight against potty training to begin with.

There are many who want it and will try very hard right from the start and there are those who just don't really care either way, they will go along with it when reminded and taken but there are just as many who actively refuse and will kick and scream to not have to go to the potty.

I've seen everything from simply not even trying to remember to outright tantrums, stubborn refusal to holding it in when on a potty and then immediately going as soon as their nappy/pants are back on.

Another thing that is very common is children who will go along with training just fine and become successful, able to stay clean and dry all day for several months and then get lazy and revert and start having daily accidents after realising this is permenant and they'd prefer to keep playing than use a toilet and then have someone change them.

From my experience too girls tend to be more willing to train than boys and usually get the hang of it mostly faster than boys. Boys often take longer to get started training and can take longer with it (especially number 2), however after being trained boys may have a few wet accidents because they are busy playing more physical/movement games and get lazy because they don't want to stop, while girls seem to have more accidents that they seem more surprised by, like they just couldn't tell they needed to go rather than didn't want to.

Reactions: CookieMonstah, enigmatic and KittyninjaW
AJFan2020 said:

Was he wearing diapers or pull-ups during all this or simply going #2 in his pants?

Belarin said:
Working in early education I can tell you that it is actually quite common for children to fight against potty training to begin with.

There are many who want it and will try very hard right from the start and there are those who just don't really care either way, they will go along with it when reminded and taken but there are just as many who actively refuse and will kick and scream to not have to go to the potty.

I've seen everything from simply not even trying to remember to outright tantrums, stubborn refusal to holding it in when on a potty and then immediately going as soon as their nappy/pants are back on.

Another thing that is very common is children who will go along with training just fine and become successful, able to stay clean and dry all day for several months and then get lazy and revert and start having daily accidents after realising this is permenant and they'd prefer to keep playing than use a toilet and then have someone change them.

From my experience too girls tend to be more willing to train than boys and usually get the hang of it mostly faster than boys. Boys often take longer to get started training and can take longer with it (especially number 2), however after being trained boys may have a few wet accidents because they are busy playing more physical/movement games and get lazy because they don't want to stop, while girls seem to have more accidents that they seem more surprised by, like they just couldn't tell they needed to go rather than didn't want to.
How common is resistance, as a percentage or fraction, would you say? 3/5ths, 60%?

How long does it usually last? A few weeks, a month?

I have a couple cousins who are still resisting potty training. I saw them today. They will refuse to use the potty and just go in their pull-ups.
They don't want to use the potty and they don't mind getting their diapers changed. They have actually used the potty, but they prefer to lay down and get changed.

I would say that they resist 75% of the time it usually lasts a couple weeks.

PurpleScorpion said:
How common is resistance, as a percentage or fraction, would you say? 3/5ths, 60%?

How long does it usually last? A few weeks, a month?
Kinda varies a bit depending on home life, background, type/amount of support and encouragement etc.

Probably between about 30-40% of children will really resist it maybe another 20-30% on top of that will not be interested in trying or happy about it but won't actively fight/argue it.

As for duration it can last a few weeks to 2-3 years. I've seen parents try to start at 2 years and the child is still refusing and fighting to be kept in nappies at 4 and a half to 5 years.

It tends to end pretty quick if they get to school and other children are not so kind about it as the ones in their nursery/preschool setting.

Also in the UK while schools are not allowed to refuse admission to a child still in nappies individual staff can (and often do) refuse to change a child, so there may be a staff member who is responsible for this or quite often the teacher will support but expect the child to change themselves, since many of them are used to nursery/preschool staff and parents doing it they quickly learn it's difficult and yucky and stop fighting the training, except in cases of medical need of course.

It is becoming more common every year for children to start school in nappies still and the number is growing.

I'm quite sure I was one of these children. I don't know why I did not want to go in the potty. I was in undies by the time I have memory of all of this and my mom taught me how to plop the mess into the toilet and then soak my undies in the toilet after I flushed.

I wasn't changed like a baby at this point. And they were accidents....Until they weren't.👀

Reactions: perlFerret
yeah, my ex's was not wanting to train, we didnt force him at all, and when he was like 5 was ready and didnt take too long. Yeah was frustrating being literally next to the bathroom and him going in his pullup, but everall not worth getting worked up over. He wa slike 7-8 before dry at night. He also had something about pooping too, he would not want to ever sit on the toilet to poop till he was like 5, would then hold it in and get constipated overall not goo for his little body.

Hell2DaNaw said:
Was he wearing diapers or pull-ups during all this or simply going #2 in his pants?
By then he was just going in his underwear. This was back in the 1980s before pull-ups and Goodnites existed. The last time I saw him do this was around age six-and-three-quarters by the back fence at my parents’ house on the Fourth of July. I heard rumors that he was still doing this for another three to five months (after he turned seven).

It's a big damn deal. Super common. If you run into it, back off, or risk messing the kid up.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
It's a big damn deal. Super common. If you run into it, back off, or risk messing the kid up.
True it is a tricky thing to deal with and pushing too hard can cause further problems, however I do think that a certain level of support and encouragement needs to be maintained otherwise it get's a whole lot harder and more emotionally damaging later on when the child really needs to be trained but has already decided they are not going to be.

I knew a child recently who really fought against it, not by tantrum or arguments but simple refusal. mum tried training at around 2 years, she and the nursery kept trying to no avail they just weren't interested. Mum's opinion was "Oh well maybe he's not ready".

They moved on to preschool who continued trying and still no effort made by the child, mum tried putting them in pants and throwing out nappies 6 times, the shortest period of this was for 2 weeks and probably averaging 5-6 weeks each time, Every time she ended up going back to pullups/nappies because it wasn't working, they would just go in their pants. Still her opinion was "I don't want to push them too hard and upset them"

It reached a point where the preschool would regularly take them to the potty, and they would sit there and not go, after the staff decide they weren't going to go and pulled their pull ups up they would go within minutes in the nappy. It reached a point where by the end of preschool they were still in nappies, able to hold it for a short time when sat on a potty but still going in their nappy rather than a toilet/potty.

At their first school the child was teased so hard about still being in pull ups they began after just about 5 months really fighting going to school and this just in a reception class. Mum moved schools, Still in a pull up and still not wanting to "pressure them" and the bullying continued there.

Mum then finally put her foot down and told them that she wouldn't keep changing schools, if they wanted the bullying to stop they had to potty train, the child finally agreed to it and began trying to potty train, They were just past their 5th birthday before they were completely day trained and still wearing at night, so a whole year to train rather than a few weeks to a couple of months because his body had gotten used to nappies, his bladder hadn't been stretched enough and muscles exercised.

That child was traumatised the whole of reception and the first year of school (a very important time) and missed so much educational opportunity and probably now still lives with the stigma of being in nappies that late from the other children, Last I heard when they were 7 they were still wearing to bed but were getting better and having more dry nights, all because mum "backed off" and didn't want to pressure the child too much.

I would say that messed the kid up more than if the nursery had been able to convince mum to put her foot down sooner and push training a bit harder.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Hell2DaNaw and abdl86
I was not fully #2 potty trained until sometime in 3rd grade!

According to Google, for bowel, it's about 5% Doesn't seem quite high enough.
Belarin said:
True it is a tricky thing to deal with and pushing too hard can cause further problems, however I do think that a certain level of support and encouragement needs to be maintained otherwise it get's a whole lot harder and more emotionally damaging later on when the child really needs to be trained but has already decided they are not going to be.

I knew a child recently who really fought against it, not by tantrum or arguments but simple refusal. mum tried training at around 2 years, she and the nursery kept trying to no avail they just weren't interested. Mum's opinion was "Oh well maybe he's not ready".

They moved on to preschool who continued trying and still no effort made by the child, mum tried putting them in pants and throwing out nappies 6 times, the shortest period of this was for 2 weeks and probably averaging 5-6 weeks each time, Every time she ended up going back to pullups/nappies because it wasn't working, they would just go in their pants. Still her opinion was "I don't want to push them too hard and upset them"

It reached a point where the preschool would regularly take them to the potty, and they would sit there and not go, after the staff decide they weren't going to go and pulled their pull ups up they would go within minutes in the nappy. It reached a point where by the end of preschool they were still in nappies, able to hold it for a short time when sat on a potty but still going in their nappy rather than a toilet/potty.

At their first school the child was teased so hard about still being in pull ups they began after just about 5 months really fighting going to school and this just in a reception class. Mum moved schools, Still in a pull up and still not wanting to "pressure them" and the bullying continued there.

Mum then finally put her foot down and told them that she wouldn't keep changing schools, if they wanted the bullying to stop they had to potty train, the child finally agreed to it and began trying to potty train, They were just past their 5th birthday before they were completely day trained and still wearing at night, so a whole year to train rather than a few weeks to a couple of months because his body had gotten used to nappies, his bladder hadn't been stretched enough and muscles exercised.

That child was traumatised the whole of reception and the first year of school (a very important time) and missed so much educational opportunity and probably now still lives with the stigma of being in nappies that late from the other children, Last I heard when they were 7 they were still wearing to bed but were getting better and having more dry nights, all because mum "backed off" and didn't want to pressure the child too much.

I would say that messed the kid up more than if the nursery had been able to convince mum to put her foot down sooner and push training a bit harder.
In America, that kid would have had a whole extra year. The AAP doesn't worry 'til 5. Here's the thing. Parents who wait, are waiting for something. What?

The ability to understand, "years from now," have the language for the conversation, and the memory to retain the conversation.

The problem isn't stupid kids, or lazy parents. The problem is, kids are smart, and new to being alive.

The moment you teach them to hold it, they will. They don't know there's such a thing as too long, and they can damage things inside. They can't think that far ahead. They only know if they hold it, they can play longer, and mom and dad do things that hurt, if they don't hold it.

Dr. Hodges, pediatric urologist, wrote about a boy, trained with Booty Camp method, eeeeeeew!

Trained by 2, hellishly constipated, and leaking poop and pee, by 3. They didn't know he was constipated, until they did imaging, because he'd poop every day. He wasn't completing them. Parents assume, once a child is trained, they'll listen to their bodies. Will not! They'll try not to piss off the angry giants, and they'll play as long as possible. Trained your kid? Congrats? Now you have to watch them like a hawk.

Doctor Hodges says: Teach any child who is ready, understanding that means 4 for some perfectly normal kids.
Send kids to school in training pants, if necessary, because some teachers are dumb about how long a small child should wait.
If we want toilet use, it must be safe, available without having to ask, and clean. In early childhood education, ideally, this means a restroom attached to the classroom.

Last edited:
Reactions: enigmatic, TheGazelle and Belarin
I recently read an interview with comedian/actress Rachel Bloom in which she related her personal story of refusing to use the potty for number 2s until she was four years old. It is very funny and informative. She remembers feeling like pooping in her diapers was the highlight of her days.

TenaciousDL said:
I recently read an interview with comedian/actress Rachel Bloom in which she related her personal story of refusing to use the potty for number 2s until she was four years old. It is very funny and informative. She remembers feeling like pooping in her diapers was the highlight of her days.
I heard about her. She was WNL, developmentally, according to the AAP.

Belarin said:

That requires a conversation with the class.

Show up, and ask the class full of 4-year-olds to stand on one foot, for 10 seconds. That's more appropriate at 6 to 7 yeas old, but don't tell them that, until you've asked. When the vast majority can't, point out, that if you wanted to be mean about it, you could laugh, point, and call names, but you won't. Then, tell the truth.

"It's normal to be learning at 2, bit early, and dangerous, if done wrong, but normal. It's also normal, to still be learning at 3. The only reason we insist on 4, is because we start school at 4. It's about what bodies can do, not how smart someone is."

Voila, the children's version of, "You're the asshole; stop it!"

Changing schools might not have been necessary.

Things potty learners call nagging:
Reminding
Lecturing
Because I said so.

Way to beg to be resisted and refused. That's literally what causes it.

https://www.janetlansbury.com/2014/...-need-toilet-training-and-what-to-do-instead/

https://www.mother.ly/child/child-m...from diapers to being,so your child can learn.

Last edited:
Reactions: enigmatic
Remember potty training is the first time we need the kid to work with the adults in achieving a result. Prior to that the adults were completely (almost) in control. For many kids this is a unique and exhilarating experience and they may want to keep it going as long as possible. Like most of us getting parental attention (even for being 'bad') is a very good thing.

For boys with their more closed system, using a diaper or pull-up doesn't have any negative consequences (except parental attention -- see above) that they can recognize (diaper rash is a delayed experience and for a toddler correlating the rash with the diaper use isn't obvious).

For girls they may get negative feedback from their more open systems. This is maybe why girls usually train faster. Another reason may be that boys usually have shorter attention spans than girls and can more easily ignore the messages their body is sending.

It seems that more and more kids are delaying potty training (either all or number 2) until they get shamed into doing it by their peers. Peer pressure starts almost as soon as kids start interacting with other kids in their age range.

I also wonder if having an older sibling who is trained is an incentive to a kid to emulate their older brothers and/or sisters. I wonder if there are studies comparing potty training age to sibling age and position in the kid hierarchy of ages, would be interesting.

I am ignoring bed-wetting since that is often genetic and based on immature or small bladders and very deep sleep patterns. Of course that doesn't include people of our persuasion who think waking up wet is a positive.

• Thinking
Reactions: MiddleJacob and Sidewinder
I don't have stats. However, considering that there seem to be a lot of people who are trying to make money off the refusal issue, I'd say it's probably pretty common.

Reactions: Hell2DaNaw and AJFan2020
Back