Gardening.

First image is a Kaffir lime tree which did not bode well to my watering schemes and had a scale attack this winter. He's recovering in full force now though.
Second and third image are my chili pepper plants (Cayenne, Numex Sandia, Nambe Supreme, Aji Amarillo and Yatsufusa) as well as red bell peppers and san marzano tomatoes.
Have bought a new Key Lime since the previous one died, I must tone down my watering :p

Just did 1 hour digging up blackberry starts and weeds.

My question is how in the &*() can you set down a pair of clippers and have them "Brigadoon".

egor said:

My question is how in the &*() can you set down a pair of clippers and have them "Brigadoon".

1) Shoulda used copious amounts of fire and poison
2) I tend to stick tools into the earth so that they don't disappear.
3) Get bigger clippers, giant chrome ones with streamers.

egor said:

Make sure you get every little piece of root! I had a running battle with them at my Dad's house for close to 10 years. He finally used industrial strength poison. Nothing could grow in his yard for 3 years after. He has a nice green lawn with no Blackberry plants. 😁

Llayden said:
1) Shoulda used copious amounts of fire and poison
2) I tend to stick tools into the earth so that they don't disappear.
3) Get bigger clippers, giant chrome ones with streamers.

I still can sett those down and loose them. Its a skill I have had for years, thus my dads comments all the time.

PapaBear001 said:
Make sure you get every little piece of root! I had a running battle with them at my Dad's house for close to 10 years. He finally used industrial strength poison. Nothing could grow in his yard for 3 years after. He has a nice green lawn with no Blackberry plants. 😁
I have been attempting to kill blackberries since 1969. I love cross bow, but that does not kill the seeds.

The digging part is what I was doing but it is easier to dig the crowns without the canes in the way.

There was a great article in the "Capital Press" several years ago about the hypocrisy of farmers in that they spend 50 weeks a year doing everything to kill blackberries. Then for the other 2 weeks they send their kids out to pick the fruit for pies, cobblers, jam, etc..

egor said:
I still can sett those down and loose them. Its a skill I have had for years, thus my dads comments all the time.
if you plant enough may-be they will start to grow, but I have planted so many tools and nothing yet! LOL

toddlerja said:
if you plant enough may-be they will start to grow, but I have planted so many tools and nothing yet! LOL

When I was 10, my fathers "sex talk" was simple. "if you ever get a girl knocked up, I will cut your nuts off with a rusty can opener"
About three months later I was working up an old compost pit, to make my "own garden" and the first thing that turned up was a rusty can opener.

• Haha
Reactions: PapaBear001
egor said:
When I was 10, my fathers "sex talk" was simple. "if you ever get a girl knocked up, I will cut your nuts off with a rusty can opener"
About three months later I was working up an old compost pit, to make my "own garden" and the first thing that turned up was a rusty can opener.
LOL; Yes that is the way it is. I do turn up some of the rusty old tools I planted as a youngster even now. I do live on the old home farm.

Finally finished getting the blackberry row finished training and cleaned up. All I have left to do is put down fresh bark dust.

Oh ya. I found the clippers I lost. I sat on them.

Next Thursday they're coming to place my new greenhouse, then i can repot everything to big pots and the real maintenance work can begin.

Pepper and tomato plants are here. I got one box prepped then had to go do some family time.

Tomorrow I will get the three boxes of peppers and tomatoes planted and if my back allows one or two boxes of Hopi Corn planted.

Pepper season is so short here in Central Oregon. I just prepped my seeds. Hopefully they'll germinate soon and I'll transplant to a small indoor plot until I'm comfortable the nighttime lows aren't too low.

Llayden said:
Pepper season is so short here in Central Oregon. I just prepped my seeds. Hopefully they'll germinate soon and I'll transplant to a small indoor plot until I'm comfortable the nighttime lows aren't too low.
It's short here too in Europe. Heating mat and grow light allow me to seed indoors in February or march so i can harvest from August till October.

5 Boxes planted with room for 4 more tomatoes in the 5th, and 3 other boxes second turned. Will let them set for 3 or 4 days then prep and plant corn. The other 4 boxes need soil added to them. So busy times for the next couple of weeks, but I should have the garden in by May 31.

Finally got to pruning the grapes. I got 100lbs last year with sure neglect. This year I need to get the clutter/deadwood out and hopefully will have 30 to 40 lbs. of premium size stuff.

My grapes all got eaten by the deer, along with all my garden, including the raised bed that was just outside my brother's window.

toddlerja said:
My grapes all got eaten by the deer, along with all my garden, including the raised bed that was just outside my brother's window.
But did you eat the deer?

got the grapes finished this evening and cleaned up the bar b que pit area.

egor said:
got the grapes finished this evening and cleaned up the bar b que pit area.

I should add a little info.

I went to urgent care this morning and got antibiotics for the cut on my foot from stepping on (wait for it) a temperature probe to a weber bar b q, that was in the grass next to the wall of the raised area the grapes are planted in.

Back