For the British: how will Brexit affect supply?

PCS

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
It occurs to me that my favourite nappies are all manufactured in the EU (Drylife XPlus and Super, Formacare, Molicare, Betterdry/Crinklz).

Up to now trade has been free and unrestricted but it looks like we’re heading for no deal at the end of the transition period.

Does anyone with knowledge of these things know if it means things are just going to get expensive or difficult to get?

Also, is it correct that the UK doesn’t have any adult nappies that are manufactured here? I once thought Drylife Slip Super might be but was corrected.

I hope Tena is not effected

I have no idea and I live in Canada, but I would like to think that medical supplies would be exempt from new tariffs and taxes, especially if they are only accessible/manufactured out-of-country.

This might be a good excuse to tell the girlfriend i need to do a bulk buy however, my go to brands are ABU, Tykables and Rearz so doubt it would have any impact?

I thought Tenas are made in the UK (if they're not) ...anyway Brexit isn't exactly happening currently, maybe the only upside of the pandemic.
-
GISW

Last edited:
I don’t imagine it should be an issue. Worst case scenario they cost a little more. Or maybe less, depends what happens with VAT.

Whether there’s a deal or not, there will almost certainly be customs delays and disruption, which is likely to affect supplies for a while at least. Ports are already being overloaded due to Brexit, Covid and Christmas. Although I suspect food and medical products (probably including things like adult nappies) are likely to be prioritised in the case of major issues. I guess one risk is that firms withdraw from the UK market if it becomes too much hassle to import, which could mean we have to buy certain brands through expensive third-party sellers.

Also there’s a chance of substantial stocking up by care homes etc. ahead of the year end, which could affect availability to the general public.

The main specific impact of no trade deal is likely to be tariffs, and therefore higher prices - no idea of the WTO rate on nappies/incontinence products though.

They all are made in China and imported so probably not an issue

PCS said:
is it correct that the UK doesn’t have any adult nappies that are manufactured here?
I'm not sure; I know that several of our old cotton mills began production of incontinence pads/nappies and wipes in the nineties, but I'm not sure how many are still manufacturing or still have the olden machines stashed away.
But, it's probably all irrelevant given that materials and energy are all now imported, and with a big question mark hanging over the issue of workers (to import or not?) and their wages.
Things like this always come back to 'free' materials and energy, as with how we built ourselves up in the first place and much the same way that China is doing.
Otherwise, costs will soar; if you remember the thread about 'green' stuff and I gave the comparison of the basic Indian car against Morgan's most basic car, that cost increase is our future (unless we reopen the pits and ditch the pollution 'treaty' with the Scandinavian countries).

As for the EU and import taxes issues, the theory is/was that costs across the board would even themselves out, as we pay less to support EU countries and policies.
What's the betting, though, that the scrotes 'in London' are just going to pocket the profits leaving us to see no benefit, at best, and most likely be worse off?

N
evertonshorts said:
They all are made in China and imported so probably not an issue
Not quite. All the printed ABDL ones apart from Crinklz are, but of the others:

Molicare - France and Germany
Abena- Denmark
Tena - Sweden
BetterDry & Crinklz- Germany
Tender (do they even still exist?) Cyprus

Anyone know where European Attends are made?

PCS said:
N

Not quite. All the printed ABDL ones apart from Crinklz are, but of the others:

Molicare - France and Germany
Abena- Denmark
Tena - Sweden
BetterDry & Crinklz- Germany
Tender (do they even still exist?) Cyprus

Anyone know where European Attends are made?
The EU Attends are actually manufactured in Aneby, Sweden according to the packages.

GO3SBOTHWAY5 said:
Brexit isn't exactly happening currently, maybe the only upside of the pandemic.
-
GISW

Brexit is still happening and alas still very much on course regardless of the pandemic.

The transition period ends on December 31st and basically we still do not at the moment of writing this have a deal in place hopefully we get one but it’s getting a bit too close now.

i believe that Tena are made in The Netherlands too

Last edited:
nappies will be fine as they medically needed

I am a senior director of a logistics company here in Europe and let me assure you that supply chains are going to absolutely crumble if they’re supplying the UK from overseas - I’ve spent about £5000 stocking up on my favourite nappies over the last 3 months in preparation for Brexit.
To put it in perspective, DFDS are about to start a daily Dunkirk-Ireland ferry service from the start of January to avoid the UK “Landbridge”.

antte91 from the US here would like to try attends from the EU sometime the attends here in the states suck when P&G sold them off they went to hell in a hand basket i see samples on e bay here claim to be from EU but do not trust them to be from there and the price they want is down right stupid

Reactions: antte91
Slip92 said:
I am a senior director of a logistics company here in Europe and let me assure you that supply chains are going to absolutely crumble if they’re supplying the UK from overseas - I’ve spent about £5000 stocking up on my favourite nappies over the last 3 months in preparation for Brexit.
To put it in perspective, DFDS are about to start a daily Dunkirk-Ireland ferry service from the start of January to avoid the UK “Landbridge”.
That’s a serious stash you must have - £5k’s worth of nappies!! Would love to see a pic?

I must confess I’ve bought more than normal lately. I’ve now got about ten unopened packs in the loft as well as my stash in the wardrobe.

Five grand’s worth must fill a whole garage!!

Last edited:
337 packets of Betterdry, Crinklz, Tena Slips, ABU’s and Abena M4 Plastics. My basement is full and fully dehumidified!

• Love
Reactions: winterheart01
Back