Disabled toilets in the US

Minih

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I'm heading off to the US for the first time next week and going to Colorado for skiing. I've got a few questions about disabled toilets out there:
  1. What are the disabled toilets like out there - are there many, or are they rare and hard to find?
  2. Do you normally/never need a key to get (and if so, are they like the UK's Radar keys)?
Any other tips for travelling in the US as someone who's incontinent much appreciated!

Thanks.

They're not too common around here... If you see a handicap symbol on a bathroom, most of the time it means that a wheelchair can get into and navigate a normal, multiple person bathroom.

Instead what to look for is a unisex/family bathroom. Those are single occupancy and lock.

Reactions: sport1 and Angelapinks
Honestly they aren’t really a here thing. Businesses over a certain size has to have a accessible stall. Which is just a larger stall with hand rails. Anyone can use the accessible stall so they can get pretty nasty. The stalls i the US also not great and you can sometimes see thought the cracks…

Reactions: swirrll and Angelapinks
Minih said:
I'm heading off to the US for the first time next week and going to Colorado for skiing. I've got a few questions about disabled toilets out there:
  1. What are the disabled toilets like out there - are there many, or are they rare and hard to find?
  2. Do you normally/never need a key to get (and if so, are they like the UK's Radar keys)?
Any other tips for travelling in the US as someone who's incontinent much appreciated!

Thanks.
they are also at a handycap height 18 onches

Looking for a place to change in public is a challenge. The best, most consistent, place is Starbucks as they have single occupant bathrooms, and they are easy to find in many cities and towns.

Reactions: Diaperman95 and Angelapinks
One thing to be aware of is the big gap under the door and the potential gap on the sides of the door. The lack of privacy may be shocking. I usually hang my jacket on the door hinges, if possible.
Public toilets in the United States are uniformly bad. The Handicapped stall just permits the entry of a wheelchair, but often has the same gaps. There are newer Family Bathrooms, that may offer larger changing tables and working locks, but they are not instituted everywhere.
For changing briefs, it might be worth getting into a routine of doing standing changes. You will not want to touch the floors with any bare skin.
I am sorry if this sounds shocking, but it it better to be over prepared than to be lacking.

Reactions: puravidadip
The US does not require special keys to enter handicap accessible stalls, but as has been stated it is largely because they generally are only wheelchair accessible with handrails - nothing else is different.

Reactions: swirrll
Thanks all. Standing changes aren't ideal, but they're fine - not everywhere in the UK has Changing Places toilets yet. Sounds like the situation in France, which is also surprisingly bad.

daylight said:
Looking for a place to change in public is a challenge. The best, most consistent, place is Starbucks as they have single occupant bathrooms, and they are easy to find in many cities and towns.
Starbucks both in the U.S. and Canada are about the best bathrooms around. Most of the time they are large and clean but you sometimes need to ask for supplies like towels and toilet paper. Oh and yes they lock and provide privacy but there are usually only two per coffee shop, so when it is busy there may be a wait time

Angelapinks said:
Starbucks both in the U.S. and Canada are about the best bathrooms around. Most of the time they are large and clean but you sometimes need to ask for supplies like towels and toilet paper. Oh and yes they lock and provide privacy but there are usually only two per coffee shop, so when it is busy there may be a wait time
And you may be expected to buy something …. I have had them locked and you have to ask for key in Canada or signs that say for customers only and make you feel guilty …. I’m a sales rep and sometimes didn’t WANT to buy something and had a long ride where I had to pee! And ladies dress pants do NOT hide even a goodnite. Tim hortons up here were nicer about useage but dirtier …

Reactions: ARBBB2 and Angelapinks
In addition to single use bathrooms, You can find family restrooms in shopping malls, and some bix box stores (e.g., Home Depot). I would not imagine these would top your list of what to visit hence, Starbucks would be your best option. Though in big cities, population pressure, I can see it create cleaning challenges and a customer use policy. Though I recall some backlash against Starbucks for denying access to a bathroom which, caused them to change their policy.

Edit: In 2018 incident occurred.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angelapinks
We are not the most private when it comes to rest rooms. A handicap assessable restroom just means you have the room and hand rails you need to transfer to a toilet. Not that you are private to do so. Our little stall doors are only meant to show the stall is occupied not private. I hear a lot of people from other countries complain. I just do my thing and carry the dirty one to the trash can even if I have to ask someone to move from the trash can. . No one has ever said one negative thing. I did that in the Fortworth train station last month. I tossed it right between 2 people. Most restrooms do not even have a can next to the toilet unless it is a female then they sometimes have a place for disposal of female products.

hoimi said:
One thing to be aware of is the big gap under the door and the potential gap on the sides of the door. The lack of privacy may be shocking. I usually hang my jacket on the door hinges, if possible.
Public toilets in the United States are uniformly bad. The Handicapped stall just permits the entry of a wheelchair, but often has the same gaps. There are newer Family Bathrooms, that may offer larger changing tables and working locks, but they are not instituted everywhere.
For changing briefs, it might be worth getting into a routine of doing standing changes. You will not want to touch the floors with any bare skin.
I am sorry if this sounds shocking, but it it better to be over prepared than to be lacking.
Agreed. I was at a major league game at a stadium and noticed how anyone could obviously see if you were changing from the angle. The doors all had two hinges with 3 cm gaps on either side, plus a foot or more at the bottom. Hanging your jacket over the hinge is brilliant! Bring an S hook or two to do this!

Reactions: hoimi, Diaperman95 and Angelapinks
Typical disabled toilets are a legal requirement in the United States. All public buildings after 199. . .2? I believe. . . are required to have them. No radar keys, because not every disability is visible, and at the end of the day, everyone needs to go.

There's a difference between a typical disabled toilet, though, and a Changing Place Toilet. Those are rare. You usually see them at airports.

puravidadip said:
Agreed. I was at a major league game at a stadium and noticed how anyone could obviously see if you were changing from the angle. The doors all had two hinges with 3 cm gaps on either side, plus a foot or more at the bottom. Hanging your jacket over the hinge is brilliant! Bring an S hook or two to do this!
I have a little hook I carry that hangs my bag and or coat over the door so I don't have to place it on the nasty floor.

Reactions: CLPP, hoimi, Angelapinks and 1 other person
Diaperman95 said:
I have a little hook I carry that hangs my bag and or coat over the door so I don't have to place it on the nasty floor.

Birds of a feather….I also use (carry) a hook to hang my bag on the door. Often the hook on stall doors are broken or missing, no way I am setting my bag on the floor.

Reactions: CLPP, Diaperman95, hoimi and 1 other person
After the comments about US toilets on here, I was expecting them to be awful, but generally they were pretty decent. Not changing places style toilets, but all had bins, hooks, most had a little basket for putting wipes etc, and a reasonable degree of privacy.

@Minih glad to hear your visit‘s run in with US restrooms was a wash. It does vary from city to city, and if you were staying in/near the high end ski resort towns, I would expect things are a bit cleaner and kept up.

I hope your vacation was relaxing and enjoyable.

Here in Derry, New Hampshire, the nicest disability toilets are in the Derry town Municipal Center.
No crap, no garbage.
Just very clean and tidy.

Reactions: Angelapinks and Diaperman95
Back