Diapers, dissociation, plurality, and trauma (our story)

LittleLynn

Little/DL/US Current fav diaper: LittleKings
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
For my first-ever official post on this site, I'd like to do a bit of a deeper dive into what got me interested in diapers in the first place, my related trauma history, my/our plurality as a result of said trauma, and why I've made diapers a part of who I am as a human; as well as my disorders I've been struggling with for the majority of my life but have only been made aware of some of them recently...like, last month recently.

Here's the part where I should probably mention that I'll be using I/my/me/we/our interchangably. We're newly "diagnosed" with OSDD and am still discovering our plurality and how it affects us as a system. "Diagnosed" is in quotations due to the fact that our therapist, for some reason, refuses to officially diagnose us with OSDD even though he has acknowledged the fact that we are, in fact, plural. So I guess that makes it a 99% certain self diagosis where the remaining 1% would come from his official diagnosis. Anyways...

Trigger warning: topics discussed henceforth relate to suicide (lacking significant detail), gender dysphoria, struggles with self-acceptance, psych ward visits, and trauma in general.

To preface the story, my diagnoses are ADHD, anxiety, MDD, gender dysphoria (not a disorder but still worth mentioning), C-PTSD, BPD, and OSDD. The first few go way back, the dysphoria as of 2017, and the latter 3 as of last month.

I guess it all started back when I was 6 or 7; when I finally was fully potty trained. At first I was pretty proud of myself but then it felt like something went missing as soon as my parents threw out the last remaining diapers since I wouldn't be needing them anymore. (Joke's on them, I'm back in diapers!! lol) Ever since, over the years I found myself stealing diapers from relatives when they would come spend a weekend at the house for the holidays or special family gatherings. A handful of times, my mom had found my stash (she loved invading my and my siblings privacy but she would mainly target me with her neglect and abuse) and each time she would ask me about them I would plead ignorance or just not answer any of her questions. It wasn't until 2018 when she had found my stash again (this time with ABDL diapers and goodnites instead of pampers that clearly couldn't fit me) that I finally stuck up for myself for the first time and told her "No mom, you don't get an answer to any of your questions this time. You're not allowed to have answers. You invaded my privacy...again...now get out of my room before I put another hole through my wall!" And for the first time in my life, she turned and left the room, clearly taken by surprise, without a word. I was trembling...

Countless times, I would split on her (BPD) and say the absolute nastiest things a kid could ever say to their parent. And the messed up part about it is after I had calmed down, I wouldn't remember much of the interaction. I would instead have to learn about how I had acted after the fact when the punishments started flying in my direction. I had no idea what was happening with me and didn't know what help to ask for from my mom, leaving me feeling completely isolated and alone...and I lived in the same damn house as my other two siblings (I'm the youngest of a triplet) and neither one of them seemed to be experiencing the level of emotional pain I was suffering as a result of how my mom neglected and abused me emotionally and sometimes even physically. This pain was and is a result of MANY things my mom has said and done to me over the years has led to multiple suicide attempts, psych ward visits for 10 days each, and copious ammounts of weed to say the least.

All of this confusion had led me to really look inward at myself and try to figure myself out on my own. My mom got me a therapist when I was 17 but it wasn't a good fit and I wasn't getting anywhere; especially when she and my step mom would attend some of my sessions which usually ended up with me storming out of the room and leaving to go to someplace other than home. 8 years later and after a ton of therapy and introspection, I finally decided to come out as trans and it went surprisingly well. After that, I moved out of the house (well...actually kicked out but that's a separate story)

Fast forward to now, I'm turning 29 tomorrow, and have been wearing diapers whenever and wherever I can for 12 years. I didn't realize until recently that my initial draw to diapers was not out of necessity at first but moreso out of the smooth crotch (don't know how else to say it), the feel of them against my skin, how the scented ones smell (scent is a huge little space trigger for me), and quite the reminder of simpler more innocent times in my life, before all the trauma started...or at least when I can remember it starting.

I didn't realize until last month, when I was officially diagnosed with C-PTSD and unofficially diganosed with BPD and OSDD, that diapers have actually been my way of coping with the symptoms of such disorders and the processing of the trauma associated with each. My therapist and I actually did an evaluation called the MID (Multidimensional Inventory of Dissociation) that tests for everything under the sun aside from schizoaffective disorders and it pinged those three disorders but he's only officially diagnosed me with one for some reason. Anyways, once I began to do some extensive research into all of them, and especially OSDD since I had never heard of it before, my alters started creeping out of the woodwork. So far there are 6 of us and 2 of us are littles (age 4 and 9). We didn't really put two and two together until now but we have a sneaking suspicion that their existence within our system might actually have been the "infancy" of our interest in diapers.

And ever since we were made aware of these disorders, it was like our entire life's experience up to now had been flipped on its head and we can finally see it for what it really is and was. So much so that we actually took the time to hyperfocus on writing a letter to our mom about all of this that later turned out to be a 37 page thesis on what these disorders are, how we were diagnosed both officially and unofficially, their diagnostic criteria, specific behaviors and symptoms of each that we experience and exhibit, specific traumatic events we can recall that likely led to these disorders manifesting, as well as support strategies. Once the essay was finished, chapters and citations and all, we emailed it to my mom.

About a week later, we get a call from her asking to grab dinner and discuss it. We meet up, and as we/I walk into the restaurant I notice she had printed the thing out in its entirety and even had things highlighted and notes in the margins. I was even impressed with just how much paper was sitting there! Anyways, we discuss some minor details and some specifics on the disorders as a whole. Then once we were finished with dinner, we headed out to her car and she asked us to hop in so we could talk in private.

What happened next blew our friggin mind. After 28 years of emotional abuse and neglect and a few instances of physical abuse, we finally got an honest and genuine apology out of her. It was quite an emotional moment to say the least. We talked for the next hour and a half about the nitty gritty details and specific traumatic events we had pointed out in that 8 page section.

Now, it feels like she's an entirely different mother. Because we think what really got to her was the fact that she pointed out that the reason things went the way they did for all those years was because she didn't know what was happening with me either or how to help us. But after I had explained to her that we didn't know what help to ask for because we were just as confused, if not moreso, and that we finally have answers.

After all of that and some more introspection about wether or not we would like to persue fusion of our alters into a single identity, we have made the decision to forego fusion and allow us to coexist, no matter how turbulent it may be to get used to at first. Because wether we like it or not, each of us fragmented for a reason and we've always been there, we just weren't aware that it wasn't "normal" until last month.

So, all of that being said, we are where we are because of one another. And we wouldn't want to get rid of that just for the sake of having the "normal" title.

Anyway, that's my/our story. What's yours?

~Lynn <3

• Wow
  • Thinking
Reactions: GabyinPurple, DylanLewis, Blekyss and 10 others
Wow that’s incredible you got an apology.
I am also PTSD, Dissociative and DID my therapist had me diagnosed with DID for years but didn’t tell us for 2 years.

It can be rough and glad you shard what you did. If you need to chat I am around. I still use third person references just not as much. More so when talking to another dissociative person if that makes sense?

Again thank you for posting this and sharing as much as you did.

Reactions: Blekyss, PassiveRenegade, KBoy and 2 others
Rusher said:
Wow that’s incredible you got an apology.
I am also PTSD, Dissociative and DID my therapist had me diagnosed with DID for years but didn’t tell us for 2 years.

It can be rough and glad you shard what you did. If you need to chat I am around. I still use third person references just not as much. More so when talking to another dissociative person if that makes sense?

Again thank you for posting this and sharing as much as you did.
Thank you for taking the time to read that diatribe, truly. It means a ton to me to get that side of the story out to others who may relate in some way. Shoot me a DM if you'd like and we can chat and I can answer any questions you may have or give you some more detailed info. Plus, I'd like a friend to chat with on here :)

Reactions: KBoy, Rusher and Edgewater
LittleLynn said:
Thank you for taking the time to read that diatribe, truly. It means a ton to me to get that side of the story out to others who may relate in some way. Shoot me a DM if you'd like and we can chat and I can answer any questions you may have or give you some more detailed info. Plus, I'd like a friend to chat with on here :)
I will and again thanks. This was the only place I ever admitted my diagnosis after someone else posted their story. No one said anything mean and everyone was very positive. Again thank you

• Love
Reactions: KBoy, Edgewater and LittleLynn
I will admit I did skip some of what you said. I'm not in a great place to handle nitty gritty details at the moment but I will come back.

Like you I have depression, severe socal anxiety, BPD, OSDD, PTSD and potentially autism though I'm still waiting to be tested for than and refuses to say I am before hand. And various other mild learning difficulties. I'm a bit of a mess.

Also like you it is because I have a baby alter or other I call them. She was late showing up and was extremely distressed. So I had to quickly research how to look after a baby and make it work. It was my mistress i suggested I try dipers after a bottle worked but not for long. Dipers worked amazing and I found they helped some other littles I have who are 4 and 8 but they get comfort from them to. And my abdl stuff expanded from there to the point even I find comfort because a lot of the others do. Also mistress loves it as an added bonus.
Just a quick run down of why my littles helped me discover abdl. There are 9 of us all together, roughly.

Reactions: Edgewater and LittleLynn
PassiveRenegrade,
I’ll be honest with you, the hardest part was accepting little alters. Then my therapist told me I had to be the parents they never had. I won’t repeat what we said but it wasn’t nice. In fact I hated them for awhile. It seemed every session more alters would appear.

After accepting them youngest is 3. I spoke with someone who had a lot of kid alters. She suggested bottles, pacifiers and diapers. So we tried and it worked greatly. It also either helped kick in our ABDL or that’s how it started.

Reactions: Blekyss, KBoy and Edgewater
PassiveRenegade said:
I will admit I did skip some of what you said. I'm not in a great place to handle nitty gritty details at the moment but I will come back.

Like you I have depression, severe socal anxiety, BPD, OSDD, PTSD and potentially autism though I'm still waiting to be tested for than and refuses to say I am before hand. And various other mild learning difficulties. I'm a bit of a mess.

Also like you it is because I have a baby alter or other I call them. She was late showing up and was extremely distressed. So I had to quickly research how to look after a baby and make it work. It was my mistress i suggested I try dipers after a bottle worked but not for long. Dipers worked amazing and I found they helped some other littles I have who are 4 and 8 but they get comfort from them to. And my abdl stuff expanded from there to the point even I find comfort because a lot of the others do. Also mistress loves it as an added bonus.
Just a quick run down of why my littles helped me discover abdl. There are 9 of us all together, roughly.
I'm glad you could relate to what you were able to read. I admit it is kind of a heavy story. But one I felt needed to be told here since it's the only online place I feel comfortable doing so. If you ever need to chat, DM me :)

Reactions: KBoy and Edgewater
Rusher said:
PassiveRenegrade,
I’ll be honest with you, the hardest part was accepting little alters. Then my therapist told me I had to be the parents they never had. I won’t repeat what we said but it wasn’t nice. In fact I hated them for awhile. It seemed every session more alters would appear.

After accepting them youngest is 3. I spoke with someone who had a lot of kid alters. She suggested bottles, pacifiers and diapers. So we tried and it worked greatly. It also either helped kick in our ABDL or that’s how it started.
I relate similarly to that but for me it was the other way around. I had known I was interested in ABDL long before I discovered we were plural. But now it makes a hell of a lot more sense. I'm hesitant to talk about our plurality further with my therapist because he's of the assumption that I'm pushing for a diagnosis or label just for the sake of racking up more labels but that couldn't be further from the truth. Hell, I was the one who mentioned OSDD to him since I only experience mild and infrequent amnesia and he didn't even know OSDD existed even though it's mentioned in the DSM under it's previous name. I have to educate him more on this it seems. But even so, it doesn't seem like he's actually taking the time outside of our sessions to educate himself on it (he doesn't specialize in it at all) in order to even attempt to help us with communication between alters. So far, only I (host) can communicate with the others but they can't necessarily communicate amongst themselves yet. They know they're there, they just can't communicate yet. Like I said, pandora's box is still freshly opened so I'm just waiting for the shit storm to die down and see how many alters there are in the system before actually diving in and trying to do anything about it. My 9yo alter is the carefree and bubbly one but the 4 year old is completely nonverbal so I don't know her name yet (don't think I ever will at this rate) and she's very timid and frightened. Typically she only fronts when I have a hell of an emotional flashback but I'm only ever made aware of that after the fact when my roommate tells me about it.

Reactions: DylanLewis, Edgewater and Rusher
Rusher said:
PassiveRenegrade,

Yeh I left out a lot of details. I tried finding ways to kill the child alters, that's how against them I was. Yeh ya can't kill a part of yourself and it did more harm than good, some of the kids were already traumatised. But a lot of hard work and the usal stuff, I have a couple of kids to look after.

Given how common littles are though, I am shocked how little info there is out there to handle them. I read documents that treated them like other alters and that just isn't possible. I even came across some papers that read about forcing littles to grow up to speed up healing.

I really don’t know if the ABDL was first or not. I was lucky my female therapist knew so much about it. We could walk in and she soon learned who was out. Our fragmentation is very bad. It’s still a struggle but it gets better. You might want to look for a therapist that deals with it?

LittleLynn said:
I relate similarly to that but for me it was the other way around. I had known I was interested in ABDL long before I discovered we were plural. But now it makes a hell of a lot more sense. I'm hesitant to talk about our plurality further with my therapist because he's of the assumption that I'm pushing for a diagnosis or label just for the sake of racking up more labels but that couldn't be further from the truth. Hell, I was the one who mentioned OSDD to him since I only experience mild and infrequent amnesia and he didn't even know OSDD existed even though it's mentioned in the DSM under it's previous name. I have to educate him more on this it seems. But even so, it doesn't seem like he's actually taking the time outside of our sessions to educate himself on it (he doesn't specialize in it at all) in order to even attempt to help us with communication between alters. So far, only I (host) can communicate with the others but they can't necessarily communicate amongst themselves yet. They know they're there, they just can't communicate yet. Like I said, pandora's box is still freshly opened so I'm just waiting for the shit storm to die down and see how many alters there are in the system before actually diving in and trying to do anything about it. My 9yo alter is the carefree and bubbly one but the 4 year old is completely nonverbal so I don't know her name yet (don't think I ever will at this rate) and she's very timid and frightened. Typically she only fronts when I have a hell of an emotional flashback but I'm only ever made aware of that after the fact when my roommate tells me about it.
Like wise if you ever need to talk just send a pm.

Take things slow and gently, you never know what your find and try not to force anything.
I also have a non verbal little but she can talk to another other I have. Unfortunately most of my alters don't talk to me directly I find things out as info is passed along.

I've only known about the OSDD/DID world for 4 ish years and only because someone else suggested it because I had an other who as always there and I could talk to him n he could talk to others. I never though he was related to a mental illness. Pissed him off when we learnt the truth.

Rusher said:
I really don’t know if the ABDL was first or not. I was lucky my female therapist knew so much about it. We could walk in and she soon learned who was out. Our fragmentation is very bad. It’s still a struggle but it gets better. You might want to look for a therapist that deals with it?
I've had to many problems with therapists in the past all who made the situations worse. I gave up looking for help and researched like crazy and try and sort myself out.

Reactions: KBoy, Edgewater and Rusher
Rusher said:
I've actually been considering that but it's just difficult because I already have two therapists and I recently lost my insurance. One for traditional talk therapy and one for BPD related stuff. But yeah, I'll look on psychology today's database and try to find one who specializes in plurality. I actually retook the MID on my own without my primary therapist's knowledge because my roommate had the xcel file and sure enough, it pinged OSDD specifically and the readings for awareness of alters was equal to, if not more than, what was indicated for OSDD but not quite DID. Which makes sense since we don't experience complete amnesia. Just bits and pieces mostly.

PassiveRenegade said:
Like wise if you ever need to talk just send a pm.

Take things slow and gently, you never know what your find and try not to force anything.
I also have a non verbal little but she can talk to another other I have. Unfortunately most of my alters don't talk to me directly I find things out as info is passed along.

I've only known about the OSDD/DID world for 4 ish years and only because someone else suggested it because I had an other who as always there and I could talk to him n he could talk to others. I never though he was related to a mental illness. Pissed him off when we learnt the truth.
Only some of my alters talk to me directly but occasionally I have to get downloads from my protector, who is actually co-con or blended or cofronting most of the time. He's cool I like him a lot. One of them, though, can fuck all the way off. He likes to tell me to do bad things to myself and verbally abuses me a bunch. Thankfully though he doesn't front hardly at all.

How would you suggest I go about at least attempting to start a dialogue between certain alters? Like, I don't even know where to begin. I feel like it would help with the confusion and self-doubt a lot. And speaking of that, I've read on the DID subreddit that it's actually quite common to doubt yourself and your plurality when you're first made aware of it and to feel like you're faking without even trying to. Is that actually common? Have you dealt with that at all when you were first made aware of your plurality? I'm still just trying to get a grip on all of this cuz there's so much misinformation and misrepresentation out there.

Reactions: DylanLewis and Edgewater
Oh god yes! Every system has a difficult or more then 1 that loves to create issues. Glad you found a guide like alter you probably have more then 1 but again most systems are different. Privately we can talk about this. I remember taking the 660 questioner for personality test. They made me take it 3 times because it came out inconclusive. “Duh” I also don’t want to overwhelm you in any way.

Yes self doubt or saying this isn’t real is very natural. No wants it if they did something else is wrong with them.

Sometimes taking charge is good. Good for you retaking the test. Sounds like you have a good support system? 🤗

If you want more dialogue between the alters set up a safe place no fighting no lying just a place you create in your mind. Invite all that feel comfortable to come out. It may take a few times but it works

Last edited:
LittleLynn said:
Only some of my alters talk to me directly but occasionally I have to get downloads from my protector, who is actually co-con or blended or cofronting most of the time. He's cool I like him a lot. One of them, though, can fuck all the way off. He likes to tell me to do bad things to myself and verbally abuses me a bunch. Thankfully though he doesn't front hardly at all.

How would you suggest I go about at least attempting to start a dialogue between certain alters? Like, I don't even know where to begin. I feel like it would help with the confusion and self-doubt a lot. And speaking of that, I've read on the DID subreddit that it's actually quite common to doubt yourself and your plurality when you're first made aware of it and to feel like you're faking without even trying to. Is that actually common? Have you dealt with that at all when you were first made aware of your plurality? I'm still just trying to get a grip on all of this cuz there's so much misinformation and misrepresentation out there.
I still doupt and think I'm faking particularly on bad days after a lot of stress and I start questioning reality in general. Unfortunately my line of thinking also falls into "Your faking it for attention" which has been said to me to many times in the past about abuse I received and its become default. Also, bair in mind that dissociative disorders are there to keep you safe, they aren't ment to be seen because it's your brains way of trying to camouflage into the world. I've read from other who have did/osdd that alters will even try convincing you it's nit real because they are staying to stay safe.

Trying to talk to alters is a tricky one. Try looking for patterns in behavour, you mentioned memory loss when an alter fronts, maybe try and see what that alter does while fronting. Try and find connections or links to things irl which give you a glimps of what they like. Look up positive triggers if your not already aware of it. It's a way of bringing alters forward though their likes and interests. May not work for all or any but I managed to meet a few of mine that way. But I'm not an expert so take it with a grain of salt. As you said try looking for an expert in the feild.

Reactions: Edgewater
Rusher said:
Oh god yes! Every system has a difficult or more then 1 that loves to create issues. Glad you found a guide like alter you probably have more then 1 but again most systems are different. Privately we can talk about this. I remember taking the 660 questioner for personality test. They made me take it 3 times because it came out inconclusive. “Duh” I also don’t want to overwhelm you in any way.

Yes self doubt or saying this isn’t real is very natural. No wants it if they did something else is wrong with them.

Sometimes taking charge is good. Good for you retaking the test. Sounds like you have a good support system? 🤗

If you want more dialogue between the alters set up a safe place no fighting no lying just a place you create in your mind. Invite all that feel comfortable to come out. It may take a few times but it works
DM me and we can talk details about this further. I’d love your insight.

About your last comment though, I do have a headspace that reflects my “happy place” pretty well. Didn’t even really need to think it up, it was kinda already there. A brief description: a small clearing in the woods with just pine needles and dirt on the ground, next to a small body of water with mountains peaking over the trees. So far only our protector and 9yo are “visibly” there. The others are hiding still but I know they’re there somewhere in the forest.

Reactions: Edgewater and Rusher
PassiveRenegade said:
I still doupt and think I'm faking particularly on bad days after a lot of stress and I start questioning reality in general. Unfortunately my line of thinking also falls into "Your faking it for attention" which has been said to me to many times in the past about abuse I received and its become default. Also, bair in mind that dissociative disorders are there to keep you safe, they aren't ment to be seen because it's your brains way of trying to camouflage into the world. I've read from other who have did/osdd that alters will even try convincing you it's nit real because they are staying to stay safe.

Trying to talk to alters is a tricky one. Try looking for patterns in behavour, you mentioned memory loss when an alter fronts, maybe try and see what that alter does while fronting. Try and find connections or links to things irl which give you a glimps of what they like. Look up positive triggers if your not already aware of it. It's a way of bringing alters forward though their likes and interests. May not work for all or any but I managed to meet a few of mine that way. But I'm not an expert so take it with a grain of salt. As you said try looking for an expert in the feild.
Omg I relate HEAVILY to the “faking it for attention” comment. Geez it’s like ya’ll read my mind haha.

LittleLynn said:
DM me and we can talk details about this further. I’d love your insight.

About your last comment though, I do have a headspace that reflects my “happy place” pretty well. Didn’t even really need to think it up, it was kinda already there. A brief description: a small clearing in the woods with just pine needles and dirt on the ground, next to a small body of water with mountains peaking over the trees. So far only our protector and 9yo are “visibly” there. The others are hiding still but I know they’re there somewhere in the forest.
Mines a cabin cool. Can you be DM’ed yet?
I think it unlocks when you get contributor status. I also have discord?

Reactions: Edgewater
Rusher said:
Mines a cabin cool. Can you be DM’ed yet?
I think it unlocks when you get contributor status. I also have discord?
I do have contributor status. I just can’t send DM’s yet but can receive them I assume. I have discord as well if you’d rather

Reactions: Rusher and Edgewater
Back