"Diaper" vs. "ADULT Diaper"

pugglesmuggles

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Sorry to be a wordsmith about it, but I am just curious if, in your regular everyday conversations in-person or virtually (at least, when the topic comes up...), you refer to your diapers as just "diapers," or specifically "adult diapers," including the modifier? Or maybe for some people it's totally interchangeable?
I've worn diapers for 3 years, and as you can clearly tell by reading this, I typically only use the one word ("diaper"), even within my own head. I definitely started out referring to them as adult diapers, and all the medical professionals I've spoken to about my UIC issues try to stay away from the "d-word" if at all possible (but when they do say it, I've always heard them say the full "adult diapers." But over the years I just dropped the "adult" because (for one) it's obvious I am an adult, (two) a diaper is just a product used by anyone (babies, kids, adults) who cannot control their bladders/bowels, and (three) it's just less words to say/type and I'm lazy LOL.

So how do you all say it? And any particular or specific reasons why?

Reactions: TigerDL, Edgewater and Diprs2
I almost always just say diaper. I will use adult diaper if I am talking about baby diapers and adult diapers in the same conversation.

Reactions: TigerDL, Edgewater, Diprs2 and 1 other person
BabyDenise said:
I almost always just say diaper. I will use adult diaper if I am talking about baby diapers and adult diapers in the same conversation.
Same here. Unless I need to be specific, I just say diapers.

LOL: This made me think of the episode from "The Middle" -The Diaper Incident (S2-E3)

• Haha
It's just diaper, I don't like the term "Adult Diaper". Adult diaper makes diapers sound too adultish and not fun to wear. Also makes diaper sound like a necessity and not a want. Like I want to wear diapers, not I need to wear Adult Diapers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2, 12srepaid and 1 other person
To me, "Adult diapers" have the connotation of boring and low quality incontinence products in hospitals and for people with medical disabilities. My "diapers" have fun spaceships, lions, tigers, and bears on them... and they just happen to fit adults. 😜 ABDL may have the word adult in it, but as they say...."You have to get older, but you don't have to grow up."

Reactions: TigerDL, PooMinara, Edgewater and 1 other person
Living in the UK I use the word ‘nappy’ rather than diaper, but I don’t differentiate with the term adult. When I feel the need to do it I just wear nappies!

Reactions: Jorelaxed, Edgewater, NappiedTruckDriver and 3 others
If I’m talking to a medical professional I will say “adult diaper“ the first time. Then if I reference it later in the conversation I will just say “diaper.”

If I’m typing it out, say here or elsewhere, I just say diaper. I guess it all depends on the audience I’m speaking to at that moment.

• Love
Reactions: TigerDL, Jorelaxed, Edgewater and 2 others
An adult diaper is obviously a diaper who has grown-up. Just like an adult male is just another name for a grown-up male.

• Haha
Nowididit said:
It's just diaper, I don't like the term "Adult Diaper". Adult diaper makes diapers sound too adultish and not fun to wear. Also makes diaper sound like a necessity and not a want. Like I want to wear diapers, not I need to wear Adult Diapers.
I'm not a fan of the term "Baby Diaper" either. And that's why I don't care for the whole Adult Baby shebang.
Just because a kid or even an adult wears diapers, that doesn't make then a baby.

Reactions: Jorelaxed, Edgewater and Diprs2
Most of the time its just Diaper or Nappy for us . Abbie does have a few cute names for them !
It still diapers when I have appointment with my doctor !

I always just say diaper, or diapers in my size if I really need the clarification. Outside of like formal context I find it uncomfortable to refer to myself as an adult more than necessary, and that extends to the things I wear or use.

I've always called mine diapers. Can't ever recall using or even thinking of the term adult diaper. On the other hand I usually call my plastic pants rubber pants or plastic panties or baby panties.

Reactions: Edgewater
Nappy/Diaper no matter what the size or age range still does the same job of absorbing pee and holding poop in
Be it a new born pampers or an Xl North shore or Better dry
Or a 12” terry or cloth square or a 54” terry or cloth square
ITS STILL JUST A NAPPY/DIAPER !

Reactions: Jorelaxed and Edgewater
Being 24/7, U-IC, and whether at the doctors' office, the regional office, with clients, at social gathering or at home, they are a diaper. Or when differencing between type, they are a cloth diaper or a disposable diaper. The diaper Cover is a plastic pant regardless of the material, as that was what was common thru my life.

When I am visiting my office in England, they are Nappy.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerDL, PaddedRita, Jorelaxed and 2 others
I think it's helpful to call a nappy / diaper what it is, in order to normalise the term and help overcome social stigma over time. When it comes to my underwear, the word 'adult' is redundant.

A lot of gay people feel the same when it comes to the term 'gay marriage', since for them it's simply a marriage with the person they are in love with. There's no need to make someone feel different by using specific terminology just because their partner is the same sex or gender. But I can also understand if a gay person wants to specifically emphasize that part of themselves, or if someone feels more comfortable with terms like 'adult diapers' or even bowdlerisms such as 'incontinence briefs' or 'absorbent pads'.

Reactions: TigerDL, Rakvirsza, Edgewater and 1 other person
DLmikey said:
Living in the UK I use the word ‘nappy’ rather than diaper, but I don’t differentiate with the term adult. When I feel the need to do it I just wear nappies!
I think in the UK (although this may be changing slowly), nappy means a baby nappy to most people. Pad or slip, but mostly pad, is used for adult nappies. I think there is an effort to reclaim "nappy" for adults to try and normalise it to reduce embarrassment.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaddedRita, Jorelaxed and Edgewater
Back