Corona, anxiety, dissociation and identity

NinaAlex

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
[CW: Discussion of corona, anxiety, dissociation and depression]

This whole Corona situation is really getting to me.
I've done quite well in the past, the first lockdown I was scared, but it gave me confidence that something is being done. Then came the summer, and we where doing well here.
The second winter showed that our politicians care less about reducing infections rates and deaths, and more about keeping the part of the economy that has a large lobby going.
Still, while measures where late, and not quite enough, they barely managed to avoid disaster. But now, with numbers rising, as intensive care doctors warn that they will be at capacity soon, as scientists warn that numbers are getting out of control, and as vaccinations are proceeding at a crawl, whole regions and cities are opening completely, all you need is a more or less recent negative test result, while politicians use the post Easter numbers, that are low since there was no testing at all during Easter, to give the illusion that everything is all right, while ignoring that adjusted numbers trying to compensate in this lack of testing are telling a different story.

Where before Corona has caused a mild fear, that only really surged when people refusing to wear masks insisted to come close, now the fear of being infected has grown into a crippling anxiety that causes extensive dissociation. I am at risk, in late 2019 I would have died from the aftermath of the influenza if I had not been hospitalized.

In recent weeks everything has gotten worse. I've started having flashbacks again, old traumatic memories bubbling to the surface. I've had to bear extra responsibilities at work, do things that I can't really do, that I don't know how to do, and get shouted at by our customer with demands that I have no clue how to satisfy. I've dissociated at work, writing one sentence, and seemingly moments later surprised by my screen locking, unlocking it, writing another sentence, and the screen locks again. This happened a few times, and suddenly it wasn't late morning, but mid afternoon, and I realized that with every locking of the screen, I must have just gone away, stared at the screen without perceiving it, just gone, until 15 totally inactive minutes later the lock-screens different picture gave me a kick start again.

I struggle with knowing who is currently fronting, being a plural system, having different identities at the controls of my body is kind of normal, in the time since I realized this, I've usually been able to identify who is currently at the controls, been able to communicate well with each other. Recently this has gotten difficult, it's my suspicion that at times control is sometimes passed back and forth, nobody wanting it, or different alters trying to give away control, but only managing to pass it on partially. Communication has gotten more difficult, and some alters sometimes just pull away completely, only to push to the front suddenly, taking partial control, and doing their best to try and get away from it all in their own way.

Our little, who is usually quite shy, and doesn't usually push to the front, has partially pushed partially to the front several times, and needed attention, and calming. She has regressed a lot recently, usually she has the reasoning of a 12y old, and in the past she occasionally regressed to be three years old, now she seems deep in regression, not wanting to have anything to do with the world out there. Nowadays she isn't the happy bubbly child that plays little pranks and loves our new life, but a little traumatized girl who we struggle to care for.

At the same time something seems to be wrong with our hormones, we've been trying to compensate, with moderate success. Depression is back, for the first time since we transitioned. I would call it mild, because it's not as bad as the flirting with the black hole I remember from our past. It's more a hopelessness, because we can't currently see a way to resolve this situation without disaster in some way or another.

I'm so sorry you feel this way, and I'm sorry that I can't think of anything to say that might help, besides that your uncertainties and fears will pass in time, and I think all you can do is find something to hold on to - be that a person (or group of people), a hobby or something else, until this storm passes.

I know it's difficult, but try to take things as easy as you can, don't burden yourself if you can help it, and do what you need to do to heal. Find a good therapist if you can.

I hope this does something to help, and if you need to talk I'm here.

I hope everyone in your system starts to feel better soon.
Honestly, what helped me the most is refusing to look at the news. I know it seems counterproductive, but it seriously has helped me a lot. And, whatever happens in the future, the virus wont stay forever, and the vaccine only became public on the 5th, so things are bound to look up right?
As for the system thing, I cant say from personal experience, because the only dissociative disorder I have is caused by body dysmorphia and gender dysphoria, but I have had a few friends in the past with systems, and actually my fav artist has DID and they write about it a lot, so I do know a bit.
Maybe set some time out during the day to have a bit of like... A group meeting..?
Like, a daily plan to prepare everyone for what would happen that day.

Alexis39 said:
I'm so sorry you feel this way, and I'm sorry that I can't think of anything to say that might help, besides that your uncertainties and fears will pass in time, and I think all you can do is find something to hold on to - be that a person (or group of people), a hobby or something else, until this storm passes.

I know it's difficult, but try to take things as easy as you can, don't burden yourself if you can help it, and do what you need to do to heal. Find a good therapist if you can.

I hope this does something to help, and if you need to talk I'm here.

I know, but holding on like that to someone I love, but who doesn't love me anymore, would be cruel to them. I use them for as little support as I can, because I know the situation, and my transition has been very hard on her. She lost her husband when I transitioned. We're still friends, but I'm aware her mental health isn't the best, so I try to lean on her as little as I can.

I've got a good therapist, unfortunately she specializes in the area that I need to continue in my transition, but not in the areas that would be useful to deal with the shit in my past. Unfortunately insurance will only pay for one therapist at a time. My only other option they'd pay for is a psych ward, and even though there are a lot of fears associated with that idea, I'm actually considering it. But I plan to talk to my therapist first.

its 100% okay to not always be aware of whos fronting, in fact id say its a lot more common than knowing all the time. personally im almost never co-conscious and i lose massive amounts of time, something that i do that has really helped us communicate is keep a journal around to write things down, that way we can just look at stuff later and theres not so much pressure to try and figure it out in our brain

i hope this is helpful advice and i hope you get some peace soon ❤️

LimeBloodedNoir said:
I hope everyone in your system starts to feel better soon.
Honestly, what helped me the most is refusing to look at the news. I know it seems counterproductive, but it seriously has helped me a lot. And, whatever happens in the future, the virus wont stay forever, and the vaccine only became public on the 5th, so things are bound to look up right?
As for the system thing, I cant say from personal experience, because the only dissociative disorder I have is caused by body dysmorphia and gender dysphoria, but I have had a few friends in the past with systems, and actually my fav artist has DID and they write about it a lot, so I do know a bit.
Maybe set some time out during the day to have a bit of like... A group meeting..?
Like, a daily plan to prepare everyone for what would happen that day.

I've not looked at the news in weeks, I've resisted the urge to refresh on the incidence rates, and only look at them once a week, at most.
I've just about completely stopped my interaction with Twitter, I only have a bunch of ppl I PM on there now.
I'm not in the US, around here, I won't be in line for the vaccine (and I'm in the second medical priority group) until mid summer to early autumn.
Group meeting sounds nice. One big complication, I can only reliably speak to one of us when we pull him to the front to drive.
I'm currently not even sure who's depressive and who isn't so much, because it turns out some of us seem to be effected by all this to differing degrees.
Currently though, switches are more chaotic than usual, and sometimes I simply have no clue who I am. I know I'm someone else, but not who, or is it's just someone else who's at the controls with me. Communication has gotten more difficult, and when I could freely talk to the others two months ago, now I've lost contact to one alter (we're not allowed to drive for another 10d, so no reliable way to talk to him), one has regressed to about 3y old, and is better off in headspace, or co-fronting a bit when we have time to relax, and the other two of us seem to switch back and forth a few times a day, making it hard to get to grips who we are at the moment.

The nice thing about a shared memory is usually that as soon as one of us tries to decide something, there usually was either consent, or discussion immediately. But barriers seem higher than usual, and communication isn't reliable, so the way we usually organize and work together just doesn't work.

I'm hoping when this is all over and I'm vaccinated, I still have my job, and that my workplace is still as relaxed with the idea of me being sick for about 2 months past GRS as they seemed to be when I first brought it up.

chaochai said:
its 100% okay to not always be aware of whos fronting, in fact id say its a lot more common than knowing all the time. personally im almost never co-conscious and i lose massive amounts of time, something that i do that has really helped us communicate is keep a journal around to write things down, that way we can just look at stuff later and theres not so much pressure to try and figure it out in our brain

i hope this is helpful advice and i hope you get some peace soon ❤️

I know. Up until about a month ago, we had regular communication, and a fully shared memory. We simply pushed thoughts into the mind of whoever is fronting, and they'd know our opinions on things or our needs, or seamlessly co-front, or sometimes simply take control of typing. Barriers where very low, cooperation worked incredibly well, and while one of us preferred to hide away most of the time, we could still pull him out while driving somewhere (he loves to drive) to discuss important matters.

As things got worse, barriers seemed to rise, and now communication had become a lot more difficult. While we still share memories, they are now less clear, less substantial, and not as detailed as they used to be unless they are the own memories. I actually mostly detect switches at the moment by noticing sudden mood changes and some memory problems.

I guess if this state persists we'll have to find a new equilibrium, a new way to talk to each other that works for us.

I've been a friendless introvert for a couple of years. 5 weeks ago, I moved into my own place, and it's given me an overwhelming urge to fix that situation. Thanks to covid, I'm very limited when it comes to meeting people face to face.

I'm trying my best to reach out online (like on this website) but it's hard. My social skills have rusted, and my anxieties are high which are limiting me. I'm desperate to make friends, but I feel like I'm failing and that theres no hope, and it's making me really unhappy. Having crushing low self-esteem doesn't help, either. I feel like I'm bothering everyone by putting myself out there.

I've been posting more frequently on reddit, but I'm already sick of the constant aggression. I'm finally back to posting on adisc regularly, and it's refreshing to see everyone being so friendly to eachother on here.

Reactions: NinaAlex
I'm fortunate in that I'm part of my church praise band and the band that is an outgrowth of the praise band. That gets me out of the house and with other people. It's the days that I'm home that I'm lonely and have more depression. I try to take one day at a time and find things to do. Because I'm a musician, much of my home alone time is spent playing piano and watching Youtube vids on playing piano as well as a few others. I sometimes write and I need to make myself start writing again.

So my point is that there may be some out and about activities you could do. The secret is to stay busy and occupied with something you might enjoy.

I am not going to deny it friends, but the ongoing COVID-19 Virus Pandemic has been playing havoc with my own cognitive/emotional equilibrium.
You are not alone, NinaAlex.
My own social contacts are through my church which is "Open & Affirming", and accepting of us LGBT persons.
I know, my profile says I am ASEXUAL, but for real, I am Gay.
My being busy right now is via getting my yard cleanup accomplished, despite my having Cerebral Palsy.
Yes!
A lot of crutching around my yard.
Yesterday I placed 5 bags of bark mulch around the base of one of my (2) oak trees in the front yard.
I need another 11 bags for the other oak tree and the flagpole.

caitianx said:
I am not going to deny it friends, but the ongoing COVID-19 Virus Pandemic has been playing havoc with my own cognitive/emotional equilibrium.
You are not alone, NinaAlex.
My own social contacts are through my church which is "Open & Affirming", and accepting of us LGBT persons.
I know, my profile says I am ASEXUAL, but for real, I am Gay.
My being busy right now is via getting my yard cleanup accomplished, despite my having Cerebral Palsy.
Yes!
A lot of crutching around my yard.
Yesterday I placed 5 bags of bark mulch around the base of one of my (2) oak trees in the front yard.
I need another 11 bags for the other oak tree and the flagpole.

Yep, I know it's been hard on a lot of people.
My RL contacts where my wife, two old friends from university, and work really.
Well, my wife is just my friend now (one of the biggest losses due to transition), and home office means she's usually the only person I see.
I try not to lean on her too much, because she's struggling as well, with my transition as well as the pandemic hitting just as she realized that she's not attracted to me anymore.

I went from seemingly being (ace) cishet male, to being a visible trans lesbian late in 2019. People staring isn't fun.
I just started passing consistently when the pandemic hit, I also realized I'm more extroverted than I thought.
Turns out people barely care about two women doing things together, they just assume we're friends, and unfortunately they're right about that.
But someone who still looks kind of male and dresses female, you get so many stares, some just curious, but others, let's say I'm happy others where around, because some stared implied violence it it wasn't for witnesses.

I wish I had a yard. I live in an apartment, on the 4th floor.
None of my disabilities really limit my mobility, so I only have a very limited idea.
We've got oaks in front of the apartment building, and they are still leafless, although they seem to be coming in again. We had a late frost, to trees seem to hesitate a bit growing leafs this year.

Why not try to get the one of the vaccines, as it seems it might help with a little of the anxiety you seem to have about the pandemic? It won't help with the work related stress, but at least you won't have to worry about people bringing it to you if they are still doing face to face things. Also, if people are refusing to wear a mask in your presence, be polite but firm, and inform them that 'You are high risk, and a mask must be work for your safety.' Not sure where you are from, but in the US OSHA has made it clear that you are allowed to remove yourself from any situation that present a danger or health risk, and must inform your employer about it. Assuming you are from the US, a talk/letter/email with management and HR should clear things up to provide you with better protection. Also, the ADA would consider making masking mandatory in your presence, a job reassignment, and/or low physical contact within social distance guidelines reasonable accommodations. I would seriously check into your nation's safety regulations and worker rights at this point.

As for work stress, you might want to consider taking advantage of any employee assistance program, PTO/Vacation, and just chilling a bit. It sounds like you need an extended weekend or work get-a-way. Right now, the stress of the pandemic is getting to a lot of people, especially when added responsibilities and isolation have multiplied the stress level of the average worker. I find myself needing to regress quite a bit more recently, and can't imagine how hard it would be in your situation.

On a good note, I am glad your transition is going well, and you have blossomed into the beautiful girl you are. Keep your chin up, I am rooting for you, and quite frankly, a unicorn believing in you is magical!

Azie said:
Why not try to get the one of the vaccines, as it seems it might help with a little of the anxiety you seem to have about the pandemic?

I'd love to, but I will likely have to wait until summer to late summer, depending on how well vaccination continues, but if anyone offers, I'd be game, just give me a vial, I've got everything else in my emergency kit anyways.

Azie said:
Also, if people are refusing to wear a mask in your presence, be polite but firm, and inform them that 'You are high risk, and a mask must be work for your safety.'

Its one of our customers, he completely denies COVID is a thing, and will refuse to wear a mask, unfortunately he's very influential at our customers.
Also social anxiety makes trying to be firm to a customer who is know to be at least mildly choleric even more difficult.
Currently I just try not being in the same room as him, if I really have to be at the office.

Azie said:
Not sure where you are from

Germany, unfortunately our politics has decided to play fast and loose with the virus recently, hence all the anxiety.

Azie said:
As for work stress, you might want to consider taking advantage of any employee assistance program, PTO/Vacation, and just chilling a bit. It sounds like you need an extended weekend or work get-a-way.

I know. I've been off work from the Wednesday before Easter, until last Friday. I was on sick leave, because I simply couldn't take it anymore. However I have the feeling my doctor just doesn't understand the extend of the problem when I say: "I've got big problems concentrating at work."
I've got ADHD, I currently don't have access to medication for that, I'm used to having problems concentrating, that's my normal baseline. I am WAY beyond that into a very interesting trying to figure out what to do, and switching, wondering what happened, and then re-figuring out what to do, because I don't remember much but the rough goal, then switching again. Once we actually start to do anything, imagine three different programmers, who just know the rough goal, have different approaches, and can't talk to each other, trying to make changes to a piece of code, and that piece of code is handed on randomly every 10-20 min. That's us at work at the moment.
Unfortunately we're not diagnosed with any dissociation disorder (although we clearly have one), so trying to convince anyone but a professional who knows their shit that this is really what is happening is tricky. Mental health is really under financed here, and getting help for anything that isn't critical usually has months long waiting lists.
Currently all this is triggering old trauma routines of survival, and yes, they do protect me from simply melting/breaking down, and going into all out crisis, they are big warning signs that I need to change things. Currently the barriers between alters are rising, and this is why communication is bad. Previously we switched here and there, but we had the full memories, and plans of what the other alter was trying and planning to do, and while each one may bring in their own unique solution to certain problems, that was a strength back then, because someone who knew a better way to solve a problem would just switch in. Now with seemingly random switches, and bigger memory barriers, it's stopping me from getting work done.

Azie said:
On a good note, I am glad your transition is going well, and you have blossomed into the beautiful girl you are. Keep your chin up, I am rooting for you, and quite frankly, a unicorn believing in you is magical!

Thank you. I doubt I could have managed this situation pre-transition. It's an incredible ride I'm on, and with each step, I'm getting closer to fully be myself, and closer to actually liking the body I live in. There isn't much that I'm planning to do left, but managing that in parallel isn't easy either, and needing to wait for months for no good reason, other than to satisfy some bureaucrats, is hard, especially since I've got a big birthday that seems to imply we're at least 10y older than any of us feel, looming next year.

My current plan is to speak frankly to work, tell them what parts are the worst problems, and explain to them that I've been working on fumes for most of the year already.
Hopefully that will help until I get vaccinated sometime in summer.
Then, at some point I think I really need to get at the root of all of this, all the various sources of trauma of over three and a half decades, and do some intense therapy to help me better integrate that, and better deal with the mental scars left by it.

Back