Cloth Diapers?

ballyhooser said:
I’m also going to put up an outside line for drying. These darn thick prefolds take way too long and too much energy in the dryer.
I love you avatar. My dad flew a Genny bi-plane. I have a picture of him with his leather flying helmet and leaning on the plane.

I hope the line works for you. As a kid, I remember all those clothes lines as everyone had one and I also remember all the diapers hanging on them if someone had a baby or toddler.

There is lots of excellent advice here. I am a practical soul and I make my own terry nappies. They are shaped to fit me, have a layer of terry, a brushed cotton layer that sits next to the skin with a soaker strip of terry down the middle. I make a few every year as they typically last about three/four years. I have made extra strips of terry that I can put inside if the nappy is getting a bit thin.
I change them probably 3/4 times a day (Ic only) and wear them with Suprima 1312 pants or 1205. I find them much cooler in the summer, only slightly bulkier than disposables and super comfortable. I use velcro as the closing tabs.
I have a sewing machine and an overlocking machine (I think it is called a surger in the US). They take little time to make and are not nearly as expensive as disposables. I buy a whole roll of cotton terry towelling (about 25/30 metres) which lasts ages, always buy the heaviest grade as they last longer and are more absorbent. If you cannot make your own I suppose you could always find a local seamstress to do it for you. They get rinsed in the shower every morning and the washing machine is on every three days. I add a little ‘Napisan’ to the washing powder. A quick run in the dryer then hang them up in my boiler room or outside if the weather is good. The sun is very good at neutralising any odours, but I wash at 60degrees Celcius and every so often I wash them at 90 degrees (I think it is called ‘stripping’) just to make sure they are clean.
Yes, they are less convenient than disposables which I do wear often, but I know that I am saving a whole bunch of money as well as feeling smug with my ‘green’ credentials.

Last edited:
Nice.
I sew as well. Comes in handy for sure and often you just can’t find exactly what you want/need and hiring a seamstress is expensive.
Think buying a sewing machine is a wise investment for anyone as it’s not hard to learn to sew. Lots of sewing stores have classes as well. Often free with getting a machine.

But yes great advice on getting the best materials you can. I say that is good advice on any sewing project you can

Also as you get comfortable with sewing you can make pajamas and other clothes without much more effort beyond sewing diapers. There is a lot of patterns out there for just about everything you can think of or at least close.

Glad you enjoy the green movements or yellow or brown :)

Reactions: Teddy02
Back