Cloth Diapers?

PastelPadding

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Carer
  4. Other
Seeing how much this is costing me, I'm wanting to look into cloth diapers as an alternative. Does anyone here use them? Does anyone know if there's a good guide online somewhere? In the research I've done, I should expect to need a pail to keep soiled ones in until I can launder them, but I see some places saying to use a wet pail and others saying to let them air out. Most of the stuff I've found is for infants, but I'm not that small. Does normal laundry detergent work or do I need to be more thorough? Should I tumble dry or line dry to make them last longer? What's up with vinegar? Does it need to be white vinegar or apple cider?

Disposables seem to be relatively easy, but I would like to save some money if I can. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: paul484819, Diprs2, EcoIncon and 1 other person
Adult cloth diaper and Ecoables have tutorials. I use Ecoables pockets, fitted diapers and covers. I have ADC prefolds which I mostly use as stuffers for the pockets. I also use prefolds with abz fasteners and the Ecoables snap covers. I use a pul liner in the diaper pail, we wash once a day. Cold rinse and spin, then a hot wash with a presoak and extra rinse. The wash is Charlie’s soap and oxo brite and white vinegar in the middle cup on the top load washer for the rinse. The Ecoables diaper cover really supports the prefolds and keeps them compressed which is necessary for wicking and leak prevention. Much more comfortable than pull on covers. If you look at modern cloth diapering tutorials it all applies to adults.

Reactions: Diprs2, EcoIncon and PastelPadding
I’ve been using cloth (not exclusively) for nearly 40 years. The best thing I’ve found - and I think I’ve tried about everything - are Rearz Velcro-closing covers with one of their XS adult prefold diapers inside.

I started with a couple of large flat baby diapers sewn together, spent many years using Edley Enterprises prefolds, and spent about a decade using Snap-EZ pocket diapers. I’ve also used Gary orefods ad the Omutsu diapers Rearz sells. The stuffed-cover approach is both the most convenient and the least work. It’s not the cheapest approach, but it works very well.

I have two Diaper Dekor diaper pails, and I use one of those with their wet bag for cloth diapers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and PastelPadding
I use alot of babykins products myself been very happy with them

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and PastelPadding
I use Leakmaster night weight cloth diapers and Leakmaster plastic pants. Rather than use a pail of water, I just rinse mine out when I take my shower and then hang them up on a line in my basement. I also rinse my plastic pants in the shower being sure to pull the elastic out while under the shower water. Those I hang up on a plastic hanger on the line. When I accumulate enough diapers, I wash them in the washing machine and then they go into the dryer.

Don't use soap on plastic pants as it will harden the plastic though I've put plastic pants in the washing machine and had good results. For the diapers, I just use All Clear and I'll give them a second smaller cycle with no soap. This seems to work well.

Reactions: Diprs2, tiron101, diaperdude and 2 others
rothpirate said:
I use Ecoables pockets, fitted diapers and covers.
Typically I use disposable diapers (daytime and sleeping) but I do use the Ecoable pocket diaper for athletic sports (like golf, cycling, tennis and softball). As for an insert I usually use NorthShore Eternadry contour booster (2 XL 27" x 10.5" - flow-through liquid). I prefer this booster because I might have a BM accident and I don't like washing dirty cloth diaper. If I'm going out for playing a sport, the Ecoable diaper can be added another booster if I'm unable to change. All disposable. They are comfortable and quiet. They might be thinner or thicker depending what you add for inserts. My cleaning lady washes them so I'm not sure how she does that.

Reactions: Diprs2, tiron101, PastelPadding and 2 others
The article called out above is well worth reading!!

Always check with the diaper manufacturer on 'their' recombination regarding washing. Just remember, that anything with moisturizer will build-up in your diaper!! Also, check your water supply for the mineral load (hardness) of your water. I am very lucky, as I have very soft water. If you have hard water, you will need to treat your water before using it to wash your diapers.

Since, I wear cloth diapers during the day (being retired helps), I wash diapers everyday and line dry, outside anytime weather permits. On the very rare occasion that there is not a breeze, I slip them into the dryer for a few minutes to make them more comfortable.

At present, I am using NorthShore's Trifecta Diaper Covers, which is a blended PUL interior with a coated water-proof exterior and wide /comfortable openings. I have been using them for near eight months, every other day and they show no signs of wear or discoloring.

Since you are more like a cloth diaper Pro, this is targeted toward those that have never used. What you are doing is trading your time for the cost of disposables and you have to enjoy wash, drying and caring for your cloth diapers. Switching to cloth diapers without thinking about the time you will need to spend on them can quickly find yourself with a very expensive collect on cloth diapers and their accessories !

Reactions: Diprs2, tiron101, PastelPadding and 2 others
Cloth diapers aren't for everyone. they are bulky and the washing (laundry) is involved. however, you can save money in the long haul. cloth tend to be my wife's favorite on me at times. it is expensive getting started, so i suggest just purchasing a few up front to try them before investing a lot of money. there are various styles/types of cloth diapers. The pin on which are pre-fold or flat diaper squares, pocket diapers (that others have suggested), pullup, and velcro fasten. the velcro fasten i like best are those from Dependeco they are good all in one cloth diaper. pockets diapers are great you just add inserts and the pocket diapers are best for being out and about in. Rearz use to have great pocket diapers you might still be able to find them on line somewhere. if you go with pin on style it is best to get the adult size pins. You will also need plastic pants or diaper covers with the majority of cloth diapers. with pin on style i prefer the flat cotton diaper squares that can be layered as needed because pre-fold diapers are pretty bulky.
you will need a diaper pail with cloth. we have found line drying is best. certain diapers cannot be placed in a dryer so always check washing instructions. any laundry soap will do. we always add oxiclean. do not use fabric softener it will decrease the absorbance of the cloth. pre-soaking your diapers is only really needed if you have bowel IC. like anything this is a kind of learn as you go thing. finding what works best for you. Good luck

Reactions: SDB2014, Floodingpants, tiron101 and 4 others
PastelPadding said:
Seeing how much this is costing me, I'm wanting to look into cloth diapers as an alternative. Does anyone here use them? Does anyone know if there's a good guide online somewhere? In the research I've done, I should expect to need a pail to keep soiled ones in until I can launder them, but I see some places saying to use a wet pail and others saying to let them air out. Most of the stuff I've found is for infants, but I'm not that small. Does normal laundry detergent work or do I need to be more thorough? Should I tumble dry or line dry to make them last longer? What's up with vinegar? Does it need to be white vinegar or apple cider?

Disposables seem to be relatively easy, but I would like to save some money if I can. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
I am a big fan of cloth. I use a combination of cloth from Ecoables and ThreadedArmor and disposables. As @greatlake5 mentioned, cloth are great for activities. They are great for saving money. They are great for comfort. They aren't great for extended trips away from the house or when maximum absorbency is required (long meetings, airplane rides, etc.)

I agree that the article referenced by @Edgewater is great. I had posted information on washing here: on this thread I got great feedback from others on their laundry routine.

I would advise you to start small and work cloth into your routine. You'll learn things and learn whether you look forward to putting on cloth or dread the day. It is a little bit of a commitment so give it time.

Reactions: tiron101, PastelPadding, Edgewater and 1 other person
Cloth are great if you love bulk. They don't have the crinkle sound throw. And you will fell the wetness which is also a love it or hate it felling

Reactions: tiron101, PastelPadding and Edgewater
Cloth diapers are delightfully comfortable, highly absorbent, and I find them easier to put on than disposables. However, there is a learning curve when starting. You need to find the right size and a fold that works best for you. It also takes a bit of practice to get pinning technique down so that you don't poke yourself. The plastic pants you choose can make a huge economic difference. Unless you go for rather pricey PUL covers, they are not a one-time purchase. I counted the number of uses I got out of my old favorites, Leakmasters (around $20 per pair), and found that I only got about 15 wears out of them before they started to crack. They made cloth diapering about as expensive as using disposables. Currently, I use Priva plastic pants (made by Fiberlinks). These can be had for under $10 for packs of three. I find that as long as I use a generous size and am careful with the side seams when I put them on, I get just as many wears out of them as Leakmasters. Laundering choices can also change the economics. Dreft diaper detergent is quite expensive. Even the "store brand" equivalent has become pricey. I go for All Baby at less than half the cost. I don't recommend cloth for messing. Messes in cloth are a real chore to handle and they leave stains in the diapers and covers that are often impossible to remove. Rearz is good place to go for cloth diapers. Their sizing guide is easy to follow, and their overnight diapers are fantastic. They also have high-quality pins. That last point (no pun intended) is important. I've gotten dull pins from other sources that have been worse than useless. Like dull knives, they can be dangerous.

Reactions: EcoIncon, Floodingpants, tiron101 and 4 others
I would love more Ecoables but unfortunately the shipping cost to the Uk makes them extremely expensive like the shipping is more than the diapers expensive. If only they would find a UK stockist or something

I’ve been using cloth diapers and plastic pants exclusively for many years. I find Leakmaster diapers very comfort and cost effective. I also use pull up cloth diaper pants from Babykins and LLMedco. Very easy to put on—just like underwear. Of course plastic pants are needed. I buy these from Babykins, Amazon (Leakmaster) and ProTex. There is a it more work as you have to wash the diapers, but I don’t find that a problem. I wash every day. In my mind, cloth and plastic pants is the way to go.

Reactions: SDB2014, tiron101, PastelPadding and 1 other person
Letting used cloth diaper dry put will make your hole place stink like stail pee. I use a 5 gal bucket with a screw on led to hold over tial wash day. Just use regular laundry detergent with a splash of bleach

Reactions: PastelPadding
Edgewater said:
…..Switching to cloth diapers without thinking about the time you will need to spend on them can quickly find yourself with a very expensive collect on cloth diapers and their accessories !
There’s a few of us that have a tendency to overvalue our time and who overcharge for our labor. If you could buy me for what I’m worth and sell me for what I think I’m worth you’d be pretty well off.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: EcoIncon and Edgewater
The best diaper pail I've found is a 5 gallon bucket with lid. I get them for free from my local bakery. They originally contained icing for cakes.

Reactions: JustMe and Edgewater
I just use a kitchen size garbage can with a its lid. I have taken to using a car deodorant attached to the lid to aid in keeping any smell from escaping. Although I don't poop in them.

Reactions: Edgewater
I’ve worn cloth for my nightly bedwetting my whole life. I usually wet a few times every night so need the maximum absorbency. I am fine with quality disposables with a tranquility booster during the daytime.
Being a side sleeper an adult prefold with at least 4 baby diaper prefolds inside usually handles my wettings. I’ve always had a plastic mattress cover under my sheets for those 1-2 nights a week even my thick pin on cloth combinations aren’t enough to handle my wettings. Roomy plastic pants with snug leg and waist elastics, tucked in around all the edges provides excellent protection. By age 8 or 9 I became a dl actually looking forward to having my mom diaper me after my bath before bed. So being incontinent and really liking being in diapers is a double plus for me.

Reactions: SDB2014
PastelPadding said:

As many have already stated, there are things to consider. Let me summarize: the drawbacks are the initial cost, the learning curve, and the laundering. The benefits: cost over time leads to huge savings, great for us side sleepers, great when in hot weather climates!

Yes, cloth setup can be expensive at the outset, but over time (and with proper cloth diaper care) the cloths will last for quite a while which makes the daily cost much much less than a disposable! For me, a 24hr day would cost me about US$9 in disposables; in cloth, about $1 (which includes laundering).

Laundering is another issue that needs to be dealt with as well: do you pre-rinse before throwing in a diaper pail? do you pre-soak in the washer? etc! Yes, there are adult-sized diaper pails and supplies out there; or make your own. The latest washing machines have either a diaper washing mode or can receive a downloaded diaper mode which makes things easier. Nevertheless the key is to pre-soak, HOT wash, and then rinse at least 2 times; preferably 3-4 rinses to get all the soap and other stuff out. Dry should be hot; ideally line dry or finish in a hot sun if possible (the sun is best for killing off any remnant residue).

Finally, the learning curve: there will be experimentation for a bit while you figure out what works and what doesn't. There are soooooo many options and varieties out there: terry/bamboo/flannel/etc, prefold/contoured, pins or rubber fasteners, plastic/rubber/vinyl pants, etc. All have their good points and drawbacks. Experiment and see what works best for you.

And as others have pointed out, side sleepers will hardly ever experience leakage (unlike a disposable user which has no absorbency on the sides). Plus cloth is very breathable and forgiving in hot/humid weather climates; it absorbs sweat and disperses it throughout the cloth. Unlike plastic coated disposable which seem to contain the heat and humidity.

Of course forums like this will have invaluable info on what others have done/tried.

All that said, cloth is a very cost effective and beneficial diapering option. I for one would encourage you to seriously consider and try it!

Reactions: PastelPadding and Edgewater
Back