Bowel IC.

jdlake131

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
I got up this very early morning (~3 AM) because I was really thirsty for a glass of water. I was still sleepy so I went to bed. My diaper was wet but not saturated so I'd just go to sleep. Then (as usual) I had a strong and sudden urge for poop. It brought me completely alert. I knew enough that it would be pointless to get to the bathroom. I wouldn't have time. There's nothing I could do but just relax. So with about a minute I completely filled my diaper. God I hate this. Laying there I could just feel this huge load and there was nothing I could do. I'm alert but exhausted. Too tired to go in the bathroom and clean-up and put on a clean diaper. So I'd post this frustration. Yes, I do have some control. For about a minute or two. So here I am, laying back in bed on my laptop, sharing my irritation. I'm sure others here are just with the same annoyance. Do you bite the bullet and struggle through a clean-up? Or do you go to sleep and worry about cleaning tomorrow?

Reactions: Jonnythepony
I just go to back to sleep, or about my business if I’m up. This hasn’t been a problem for me, with rashes, as long as I get thoroughly cleaned up in my shower when I get changed. II apply a layer of Remedy Skin Repair cream, or zinc oxide diaper rash ointment, if it feels as though a rash might be getting started, to has given me RhinoTushie!

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192 and Jonnythepony
This is not quite on topic, but...
The bowel IC is still new for me – about two years now, but it happens so infrequently that I don't have a good handle on it yet. Accidentally messing myself happens around my regular time BM time in the morning. I have radiation induced chronic colitis, which causes diarrhea. I take medication which prevents watery stool, but it's soft, not solid. If I'm standing, there's a high probability that sitting will cause it to leak. If I'm sitting, I'll try to get up while the accident is happening to avoid a leak. Several times when laying down reading I've had an accident that resulted in a blow out at the back of the diaper. So I always change immediately. As accidents like this happen when my disorder is triggered, clean up can be quite challenging.

I have been U-IC for just over a year now (from diabetes nerve damage). But I fear from past experiences and recent near accidents, that I will be F-IC in the future. So I am learning from experiences posted. During my last scare at a store, I just barely managed to hold off a full BM as I was headed for the cashier. I had to take baby steps to the cash register without being too obvious, else I would have lost the whole load there in my pull-up. I paid and barely made it out of the store and across the parking lot in more baby steps. I found however, that I was able to subdue the BM by sitting in the car. That allowed me to get home and use the toilet.

But even 20+ years ago, I have found that almost every time I go to the central library here, I get a strong need for a BM as soon as I arrive. Almost every single time! This is especially annoying right now since there are restrictions on washroom use during this pandemic (only one person at a time is permitted). I've often wondered if I am under some kind of hypnosis.

• Wow
Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192
CheshireCat said:
This is not quite on topic
Accidentally messing myself happens around my regular time BM time in the morning. it's soft, not solid. So I always change immediately. .
Actually, it is exactly on topic. Accidentally messing is academic. For me it just happens. Sorry for how difficult you have with diarrhea and blow outs. Usually I have solid loads. I have experienced loose stool a few times and they're more than challenging. Most of the time I don't know how full my colon is. I just get a sudden urge and in seconds I poop. I can't hold it. Normally I defecate in the morning but it can actually happen at any time. From sleeping, morning or across the day. The question I was asking is : Do we struggle through a clean-up now or do we go to sleep and worry about tomorrow. Certainly I'd rather clean-up right after the event but sometimes I'm sleepy and /or exhausted, so I just go to sleep and worry the cleaning later. It's just logic.

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192
jdlake131 said:
I got up this very early morning (~3 AM) because I was really thirsty for a glass of water. I was still sleepy so I went to bed. My diaper was wet but not saturated so I'd just go to sleep. Then (as usual) I had a strong and sudden urge for poop. It brought me completely alert. I knew enough that it would be pointless to get to the bathroom. I wouldn't have time. There's nothing I could do but just relax. So with about a minute I completely filled my diaper. God I hate this. Laying there I could just feel this huge load and there was nothing I could do. I'm alert but exhausted. Too tired to go in the bathroom and clean-up and put on a clean diaper. So I'd post this frustration. Yes, I do have some control. For about a minute or two. So here I am, laying back in bed on my laptop, sharing my irritation. I'm sure others here are just with the same annoyance. Do you bite the bullet and struggle through a clean-up? Or do you go to sleep and worry about cleaning tomorrow?
I like my skin and no rashes or cracked skin. I always change as soon as it happens I never wait unless I happen to be like driving in the car home in the middle of no place to change. I don't see how anyone can lay in a mess and feel good about it myself. Fecal IC especially the runs like mine is the worse for skin care

Reactions: legojoker88
jdlake131 said:
The question I was asking is : Do we struggle through a clean-up now or do we go to sleep and worry about tomorrow.
That's why I said my post wasn't quite on topic, as I'm awake when it happens.
CheshireCat said:
As accidents like this happen when my disorder is triggered, clean up can be quite challenging.
Normally I'm fine, but when triggered I'm extremely weak, fighting paralysis, and have trouble walking and standing. I'm barely capable of cleaning up, and doing so makes the weakness worse. If/when the messing becomes more consistent, I will need to work on better containment so that I have the option not to change immediately if necessary. That said, my skin can get irritated even changing immediately, so obviously digestion is seriously messed up and incomplete.

• Wow
Reactions: Deleted member 57387
CheshireCat said:
That's why I said my post wasn't quite on topic, as I'm awake when it happens.

Normally I'm fine, but when triggered I'm extremely weak, fighting paralysis, and have trouble walking and standing. I'm barely capable of cleaning up, and doing so makes the weakness worse. If/when the messing becomes more consistent, I will need to work on better containment so that I have the option not to change immediately if necessary. That said, my skin can get irritated even changing immediately, so obviously digestion is seriously messed up and incomplete.
Keep your head up. diapers with tall leak guards like better dry and mega max. are king. But prices are making them hard to afford for us common folk on disability. I have lived with a bladder that hates me my entire life but my bowels starting to betray me is very hard to deal with.

Diaperman95 said:
Keep your head up. diapers with tall leak guards like better dry and mega max. are king. But prices are making them hard to afford for us common folk on disability. I have lived with a bladder that hates me my entire life but my bowels starting to betray me is very hard to deal with.
MEGAMAX is my go to diaper, and I use BetterDry on occasion. I'll get this situation figured out. If I start messing more consistently, I may have to "practice" to find the best fit and size for both bladder and bowel. I do not enjoy it whatsoever, so it's not something I want to deal with until I have to. Currently I can wear a MEGAMAX medium or large. For wetting, the mediums are less likely to leak along the back of the legs. I may need to switch to a large with a full length booster for bedtime.

CheshireCat said:
MEGAMAX is my go to diaper, and I use BetterDry on occasion. I'll get this situation figured out. If I start messing more consistently, I may have to "practice" to find the best fit and size for both bladder and bowel. I do not enjoy it whatsoever, so it's not something I want to deal with until I have to. Currently I can wear a MEGAMAX medium or large. For wetting, the mediums are less likely to leak along the back of the legs. I may need to switch to a large with a full length booster for bedtime.
The mediums fit me better around the legs too. I am sure you got this. sometimes it is just nice to know we are not alone.

jdlake131 said:
My diaper was wet but not saturated so I'd just go to sleep. I had a strong and sudden urge for poop. I knew enough that it would be pointless to get to the bathroom. I wouldn't have time. There's nothing I could do but just relax. So with about a minute I completely filled my diaper. Laying there I could just feel this huge load and there was nothing I could do. I'm alert but exhausted. Too tired to go in the bathroom and clean-up and put on a clean diaper. Yes, I do have some control. For about a minute or two. I'm sure others here are just with the same annoyance. Do you bite the bullet and struggle through a clean-up? Or do you go to sleep and worry about cleaning tomorrow?
Sometimes I awake in the middle of the night. I give myself a little "check" and feel how wet or messy my diaper is. When I'm sleeping I have no idea if or when I pooped my diaper. But in the usual morning, I too have that sudden urge to go. And there's really nothing I could do. Maybe wait for a while, have a cup of coffee and see if there's going to be more before I clean and shower. When I get up in the middle of the night and I notice that I had messed while sleeping, I have to consider how tired I am. Sometimes I will change but most of the time I'd just go back to sleep. It's easier. I've been IC since forever so it doesn't really upset me or feel that bad.

I can't just go back to sleep when it happens to me. I have Crohn's so I haven't had solid bm's in over 10 years. Often when I have an accident I need to change immediately because of the acids. The 2 times I had to wait for a change (leaving work 15 min drive home) I had a rash start developing. Maybe if I get some barrier cream I could wait to change a little longer, but then I would be at the mercy of the leg gathers. I just don't love to sit in it like some people. I will say this to close, I no longer hate myself when I have an accident like I used to.

• Love
Reactions: uknappygirl and Diaperman95
legojoker88 said:
I can't just go back to sleep when it happens to me. I have Crohn's so I haven't had solid bm's in over 10 years. Often when I have an accident I need to change immediately because of the acids. The 2 times I had to wait for a change (leaving work 15 min drive home) I had a rash start developing. Maybe if I get some barrier cream I could wait to change a little longer, but then I would be at the mercy of the leg gathers. I just don't love to sit in it like some people. I will say this to close, I no longer hate myself when I have an accident like I used to.
Mine is loose too and my skin does not like it at all. Nor do I

Diaperman95 said:
Mine is loose too and my skin does not like it at all. Nor do I
Yeah, if I get woken by an accident I just take a quick shower, put on a clean diaper and go back to bed. Usually it doesn't take long to go back to sleep, but sometimes I can't so I just stay up and take a nap later

jdlake131 said:
Yes, I do have some control. For about a minute or two.
When you say you have some control, do you mean you can hold it for a short period? Or would you describe it as having a sense of the inevitable a minute or two before it happens?

At this point in my life I have experienced four levels of control (or lack thereof):
Prevent - when a toilet is absolutely unavailable for a long period of time - very uncomfortable, but ultimately the urge dissipates
Hold - waiting in a queue for a toilet - breathing and relaxing techniques to mitigate the discomfort until a toilet is available
Sense - aware that one is about to mess one's self - twinges in the abdomen associated with immediate, uncontrollable evacuation
Unaware - no sensation whatsoever - I know after the fact because of sense of touch and "Löded Diper" songs looping in my head

Prevent is no longer a possibility for me. Hold is becoming more and more time constrained. Sense and unaware have now started occurring. I was warned about bowel issues being a future problem by my oncologist, but between future bowel issues or death... I'll take "Easy Answers" for $100 Alex! I just didn't realize that dealing with bowel incontinence is a whole new learning experience over bladder incontinence.

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192 and Diaperman95
Interesting morning. I woke up at 4AM, which is very early for me, and stayed in my bedtime diaper figuring I'd crawl back in bed. By 6AM I knew I was up and fixed myself breakfast. By 6:30 I needed the toilet (BM), and changed into a fresh bedtime diaper afterwards, so that I could crash anytime without thinking about it. About 10AM I was hungry, which is not normal for me, so I decided to fix myself brunch. As I was cooking, I suddenly realized that I was slowly loading my diaper. Really loading. I couldn't stop cooking or I would ruin the meal, I had to eat as soon the meal was cooked or it would be ruined, and I realized I couldn't sit to eat without serious leakage. So I stood there and quickly ate my meal, then went to cleanup and shower. What a messy cleanup. To have a normal BM and then 3+ hours later to have a massive uncontrolled BM was weird. I think it's time to get back with a gastroenterologist.

• Wow
Reactions: legojoker88
CheshireCat said:
Interesting morning. I woke up at 4AM, which is very early for me, and stayed in my bedtime diaper figuring I'd crawl back in bed. By 6AM I knew I was up and fixed myself breakfast. By 6:30 I needed the toilet (BM), and changed into a fresh bedtime diaper afterwards, so that I could crash anytime without thinking about it. About 10AM I was hungry, which is not normal for me, so I decided to fix myself brunch. As I was cooking, I suddenly realized that I was slowly loading my diaper. Really loading. I couldn't stop cooking or I would ruin the meal, I had to eat as soon the meal was cooked or it would be ruined, and I realized I couldn't sit to eat without serious leakage. So I stood there and quickly ate my meal, then went to cleanup and shower. What a messy cleanup. To have a normal BM and then 3+ hours later to have a massive uncontrolled BM was weird. I think it's time to get back with a gastroenterologist.
I have those days too. I have to be careful I am supposed to take at least one cap of miralax a day. I am on chronic pain meds and I have gastroparesis. I Let my IBS stop me up it will most of the time set off a gastroparesis attack. Those attacks make a shitty diaper absolutely a walk in the park compared to throwing up my guts every 2 to 10 minutes for up to 36 hours at one point. I never let it get that bad again. I will ask for a NG tube before doing that ever again. I did get surgery in Dec. to help with the symptoms but it is a forever type of disease. Everyone here that knows me knows... Diaperman95 does not like nor enjoy number 2 without notice in the pants. Nor do I like the the clean up after. But the gastroparesis is the worse thing I have ever endured in my life. So very seldom do I miss my dosage of miralax so instead every day is a new adventure. I cant complain because it has been a week since the last time my bowl IC won.. Praise the Lord mine is only 3 to 4 times a month at the moment..

Today i had my second bowel accident.
And unfortunately it was like the first i had three years ago.I returned from my job again this morning and before I get the elevator i felt a cramp into my stomach.I thought that i could make it to the toilet but...no
I soiled my diaper outside the door of my home.Im bladder incontinent and I am not used in bowel movements so it took me some hour to clean the mess.

Ive had a couple of nocturnal bowel accidents but I clean and change as soon as I become awear of the accident I no longer stress about it as long as my diaper contains everything.

activefit said:
Today i had my second bowel accident.
And unfortunately it was like the first i had three years ago.I returned from my job again this morning and before I get the elevator i felt a cramp into my stomach.I thought that i could make it to the toilet but...no
I soiled my diaper outside the door of my home.Im bladder incontinent and I am not used in bowel movements so it took me some hour to clean the mess.
Based upon my own history, I seem to be headed in that direction. My full sympathies. I can learn from your experiences. What do you wear to work in protection, if you don't mind me asking. I am getting by with pull-ups but at some point, I suspect I need something better for F-IC.

Reactions: activefit
Back