Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
Sounds like something for the Stories forum, right? But no. It's real!

Except that the main character isn't real. Or, well, he's real... by which I mean he exists...

Never mind. Complicated stuff, obviously.

---

I've several times mentioned on ADISC that I still have my childhood Cabbage Patch Kid. His name's Carl. I've had him since 1982 when I was in second grade. Like all Cabbage Patch Kids of that era, Carl came wearing an actual disposable diaper with Cabbage Patch branding. Unfortunately, while pretending to change his diaper one day, I tore it. It ended up being discarded and was not replaced.

Carl was played with again by my own kids, but spent many long years in boxes before and since. Somewhere along the way, most of his wardrobe was lost. In fact, I have only one outfit for Carl, and it's such a bad look for him that he'd rather just go naked, and I don't blame him. Anyway, here's poor old Carl, undressed and a little on the dirty side. I really should figure out how to clean Cabbage Patch skin, if there even is a way. (And I'll have to fix the clothing issue at some point.)

Carl_naked.jpg

Also, you'll notice that his hair's a bit messy/frizzy. Believe it or not, when I was seven, I actually tried brushing it with a hair brush. :ROFLMAO: Kid Cottontail was NOT the sharpest tool in the shed!

So, anyway... First things first: How about some cloth diapers that I already have on hand? Here's a small Green Mountain Diapers prefold. The newborn size (which I don't have) would probably be better, but this isn't awful:

Carl_prefold.jpg

Or a Kawaii pocket diaper... for girls. 🫣 (I got this diaper because I liked the design and wanted to make an adult-sized version. Haven't started on that yet.) I don't think Carl appreciated being put in a girl diaper, and it was too big besides, even when adjusted for minimum rise:

Carl_AIO.jpg

I decided to sew him a proper "boy" diaper from some flannel scraps. I actually totally winged it on the construction of this, and barely measured anything, so I'm lucky that it's worked out at all so far. I decided to roughly mimic the construction of Pampers, with a rectangular body to which I'll add wings later. I haven't decided whether to do Velcro or snaps yet, something that ideally would've been known from the get-go, but again: Shootin' from the hip! This isn't going to be a how-to, by the way. I just took a few random pictures as I went.

Some leak guards:
leak_guards.jpg

Some white sides that'll become the leg cuffs. Upon closer inspection, I decided that these were too wide, and that I’d cut them down later with the serger:
sides.jpg

Some padding to insert. This is just a strip of Zorb 3D, serged along the long sizes:
padding.jpg

Padding inserted, leak guard elastic installed:
padding_leak_guard_elastic.jpg

Leg cuff elastics installed, serged all the way around. (Lots still to clean up!)
body.jpg

Folded so that you can see the outside:
body_folded.jpg

The leg cuffs aren't quite as scrunchy as they should be, but I still think it's a good look. I'll work on the tabs and fasteners tomorrow or Wednesday.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dogboy, Sissyleslie, BBBen and 4 others
That's so sweet, what a precious doll. What a nice story.
Thanks Cottontail. Made me smile.😸

Reactions: ianwee, mistykitty, BBBen and 2 others
There lots of vintage cabbage patch clothes on eBay looks great

Reactions: mistykitty, BBBen, KBoy and 2 others
foxkits said:
There lots of vintage cabbage patch clothes on eBay looks great
I might try my hand at sewing him a sleeper, or at least a onesie. We’ll see. At one point I had a fuzzy green sleeper for him, probably made out of minky, but I suspect that it and most of Carl’s clothes ended up being given to my sister. No biggie. I need the sewing practice, ha ha! It’s one thing to just slap things together and improvise like I did today. It’s quite another to really tailor them to a body, even a doll body. Practice makes perfect, and I’m definitely not there yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: mistykitty, BBBen and KBoy
What a great undertaking and wonderful diaper design! I am sure that Carl is grateful!

Reactions: mistykitty, foxkits, BBBen and 2 others
Ok! Wrapping this up!

Since I started off going for Pampers-like construction, I decided it would be silly to do snaps. I went with Vecro. Landing zone freshly installed:
landing_zone.jpg

Now for the tabs:
tabs.jpg

...with topstitching and elastic installed so they scrunch up a little:
tabs_topstitched.jpg

It was tempting to add those little front-end tabs that Pampers have, but I decided I was ready to be done, so here's the finished product:
finished_inside.jpg

...and outside:
finished.jpg

...and finally:
carl_in_diaper.jpg

Phew! It fits, LOL. If I had it in me to make another one, I'd probably go a little wider, but I'm callin' 'er good. :) Final thoughts: Making doll diapers is harder than making adult diapers! Elastics in small spaces make it very difficult to finish because there's not enough to hold onto to pull them flat while sewing. That led to a number of wonky seams and edges that make me a little grumpy to look at but I don't think Carl minds.

More measuring and planning next time!

And now to install this old water pump into Carl so that he can be like a Baby Alive doll and actually use his diaper!
s-l1600.jpg

Just kidding. That isn't even my image. (Thanks, eBay.)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BBBen, dogboy, ianwee and 3 others
Hey, on a side note: Is Cottontail Irish? Just a guess as her head fur and blue eyes tend to lean told that possibility.

• Haha
  • Thinking
Reactions: BBBen, dogboy, KBoy and 2 others
Edgewater said:
Hey, on a side note: Is Cottontail Irish? Just a guess as her head fur and blue eyes tend to lean told that possibility.
I have some Scottish heritage and had red hair when I was younger, so that was the inspiration for Cottontail's hair. My real-life eyes are hazel, but I married a blue-eyed redhead and have two blue-eyed redhead kids. :)

Reactions: BBBen and Edgewater
Nice we share heritage and lol
Eye color too. I love your sewing you have done. Thank you for sharing.
I can't wait to see Carl's new clothes.

Reactions: Edgewater, BBBen, KBoy and 1 other person
foxkits said:
I can't wait to see Carl's new clothes.
So much expectation, ha ha. :) I'll think about a snap-crotch onesie. I have some PAW Patrol fabric that's begging to be used, although Carl might prefer something a bit "retro." Hmm... He's got an oversized head like so many dolls, but I bet I could use human proportions and then stuff his whole body through the neck hole. 🤭

Last edited:
Reactions: BBBen, Edgewater, ianwee and 1 other person
Cottontail said:
So much expectation, ha ha. :) I'll think about a snap-crotch onesie. I have some PAW Patrol fabric that's begging to be used, although Carl might prefer something a bit "retro." Hmm... He's got an oversized head like so many dolls, but I bet I could use human proportions and then stuff his whole body through the neck hole. 🤭
Use a lap shoulder onesie or snap shoulder that's for bigger heads.
That's why baby clothes have them.

Reactions: Edgewater and Cottontail
foxkits said:
Use a lap shoulder onesie or snap shoulder that's for bigger heads.
That's why baby clothes have them.
Yeah, I thought about the lap shoulder thing. Hmm... Also, because of the way Cabbage Patch Kids always have their arms up at an angle, it's tempting to angle the sleeves upward too. Otherwise the neckline is liable to be pretty slack, and a lap shoulder might exacerbate that. I'll have to butcher an old t-shirt and do some tests. :)

Reactions: Edgewater
But what if Carl doesn't like his new look? What if Carl, after all these years imprisoned in a box, is unstable? What if Carl, in the middle of the night, discoveres the kitchen knives? Run. For God's sake......run!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: KBoy, BBBen, Edgewater and 1 other person
@dogboy, you watched Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey, didn’t you? 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: KBoy, dogboy, BBBen and 1 other person
Cottontail said:
@dogboy, you watched Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey, didn’t you? 🤭
Interesting...
The Winnie the Pooh from Hell!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: KBoy, dogboy, Edgewater and 1 other person
Cottontail said:
I have some Scottish heritage and had red hair when I was younger, so that was the inspiration for Cottontail's hair. My real-life eyes are hazel, but I married a blue-eyed redhead and have two blue-eyed redhead kids. :)
As a Scottish /Swedish /German heritage mix, the difference regarding having Irish heritage is in the percentages!
I was listening to an Irish CD and a song regarding 'when Irish Eyes are Smiling' left me thinking of Cottontail's eyes!
Family pictures must be a joy as there is no question regarding family...

Reactions: KBoy, BBBen and Cottontail
No he's thinking of Chucky.
He loved knives 😈

• Wow
Reactions: KBoy, Edgewater, BBBen and 1 other person
Edgewater said:
As a Scottish /Swedish /German heritage mix, the difference regarding having Irish heritage is in the percentages!
I was listening to an Irish CD and a song regarding 'when Irish Eyes are Smiling' left me thinking of Cottontail's eyes!
Family pictures must be a joy as there is no question regarding family...
We do make a rather obvious "unit" in photos. Wife's the freckly kind of redhead though, whereas the kids and I are the fair-skinned type that goes straight from white to blistered and has to wear SPF 10,000 on nice days. (*slight* exaggeration.) Oh, and 1/16th German here. That's probably why I like liverwurst. (And why nobody ever stole my lunch at school.)

• Haha
Reactions: KBoy, BBBen and Edgewater
Lol I love liverwurst and bratwurst too. 1/2 English here
Ancestors colonist.
The great melting pot.

Reactions: KBoy, Edgewater, BBBen and 1 other person
Wow! That looks professional!! And adorable! You could start a business doing this!

Sorry for not seeing this 'til now. I was traveling for a hockey game with my mom and just got home earlier today!

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater and Cottontail
Back