Baby powder yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love baby powder smells so good and has a nice dry comfy feel

Zendot said:
Haha, fair enough. I wear mostly at home which means i do move but i'm not doing any long walkings or anything like that. When i do wear outside after a while it does get a bit sweaty down there, especially if it's summer. Also as i've mentioned recently in another thread, most of disposables i use are either attends adjustable or slip active, one is cloth-backed the other is plastic but both have smaller cloth wings, much more similar to real baby diapers (the adjustables are even strechy), which helps a lot with the sweating.

And to make this even more strange for you, i'm from Portugal and you're from Finland! The weather sure is way colder up there in the north than here in sunny southern Europe.

This might explain this hmm xD
And man, true. It's snow to my knees in here right now!
But I am pretty active, and right now I'm on a binge and wear 24/7 meaning when I go shopping, hiking, walk the dog, school... the distances here are great and wading trough snow gets very hot and stuffy in winter attire, to be honest <__<

I like using baby powder most of the time as well. Definitely adds a nice dry feeling and smells nice, without being too strong or noticeable I think.

I use baby powder.
I like my bottom smelling like a baby.

I use baby powder from time to time and like the smell. I have used both the talc and corn starch types and like them both.

I do use it from time to time. American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against its sue due to possible breathing it in. There are is some discussion of the talc based ones possibly containing asbestos even though not being labeled as such, plus the particles can seriously affect lungs. If you have a diaper rash, quit using it, especially corn starch based ones, they tend to feed the bacteria especially if it is a yeast infection. I used to use zinc oxide based creams with every diaper change, but have moved to baby oil gel (both off brand and johnson/johnson). The gel gives me enough scent that I like, but is pretty decent with keeping rashes at bay and not making my whole crotch area white.

TyphaHare said:
BTW can someone recommend me some non-talcum baby powder? I don't find any in here, I live in Europe! Maybe I should just buy plain corn starch?

That's your options - talc or cornstarch. The scented cornstarch is pretty good, it has very similar properties to talc. I use a mix of the two while diapering up - cornstarch for the insides of my thighs to prevent chaffing, talc everywhere else to keep my skin from sweating and to try to keep the pimples at bay. I've found that cornstarch doesn't do as well to combat sweatiing and pimples, but talc can further irritate already irritated skin and cause over-drying, leading to eccema.

There are other products that have similar qualities. Monkeybutt powder, Dr Sholes, Zeesorb, to name a few. Most of them are specialized/medicated for one reason or another, either for irritated skin, diaper rash, heat rash, antifungal, etc. I use Zeesorb AF also when diapering.

Most places that sell any one of these will sell most of the others too, though you may have to hunt around. Walmart for some reason likes to break things up at one of their stores here - baby lotion, wipes, and talc are all by the diapers, which isn't near the pharmacy where there is also lotion (but no talc!) but has the medical stuff like moneybutt and dr scholes. You may have to ask someone for help finding it.

Hmm I don't think any of those products are sold here.
Gotta go for the corn starch :O

TyphaHare said:
Hmm I don't think any of those products are sold here.
Gotta go for the corn starch :O

It seems odd that they just wouldn't sell something in your area, these are all fairly popular products. There may be some government regulations in your area that bar the sale of talc as a topical ingredient. Talc has many uses and benefits externally, but can cause problems inside the body. (you should avoid inhailing it)

I have used talc baby powder my whole life. I use it after taking a shower and in my jockey shorts. Actually, the only time I don't use powder is when I am in a diaper. I generally diaper up only once or twice a week.

I love baby powder it makes me feel little<3

It's a must if I'm going to be wearing tape diapers (cloth or plastic backed) to keep everything cool and dry down there. Only cornstarch is sold in my area. The scent helps me feel little, too.

Everyone talks of the great scent, but damn I only buy the cheapest there is and it smells a bit too strong xD
And anyways, I prefer non-scented powder.

Myself I use baby powder, since it reduces chaffing and smells nice. I only use the hypoallergenic cornstarch variety since talc is pretty bad stuff.

Well I sweat a lot even in the winter and back when I was a kid I would get heat rash so I would use baby powder to help keep that down but occasionally I do get it especially when I diaper myself or wear warm baby clothes so for me it's a must when I diaper but when I do it enhances the experience for me.

Zendot said:
Based on my perception, it seems like something that is dated, that isn't common anymore. So I went searching online, and apparently my perception is correct, people don't use baby powder on their babies anymore or use it very rarely for whatever reason (health, not being needed, etc).

Having been a Nanny and in the child care feild for about a decade I can say that baby powder is used fairly often. The reason for using baby powder is to give a dryer feeling when the diaper is wet and for the smell. Talc powder is kinda being phased out because it is cancer causing.

It is often a misconception that you should use powder when you have a diaper rash. That is exactly the opposite of what you want to do. Using powder while you have a rash can make it worse depending on the type of rash that it is.

I personally rarely use powder but I do every now and then about half way between changes. It kinda just helps you have a dryer feeling. I would say that the reason most ABDL's who use it is for nostalgia purposes. Either way there are lots of different reasons that people use it.

binkygirl said:
It is often a misconception that you should use powder when you have a diaper rash. That is exactly the opposite of what you want to do. Using powder while you have a rash can make it worse depending on the type of rash that it is.

Diaper Rash:
- identification: red welts, spots, or blotches on skin, bumps painful to the touch
- cause: skin irritation from prolonged exposure to urine/feces
- response: clean and dry skin. air out as often as possible. treat with OTC medicated lotions and powders designed to treat diaper rash
- avoid: don't go too long before changing a used diaper

Eccema:
- identification: patch of very dry, smooth skin, with aged skin appearance, painful to even a light touch
- cause: extreme skin sensitivity caused by extremly dried skin
- response: clean GENTLY with warm water. coat with hydrating lotion (baby lotion etc), keep skin coated in lotion if possible, avoid rubbing clothing
- avoid: never wash roughly, use drying powders sparingly or not at all

Fungal Infection:
- identification: area of red skin, painful to the touch, stays damp or sticky despite cleaning and drying attempts, odor similar to parmesan cheese
- cause: yeaste infection
- response: wash thoroughly with soap and water. keep skin clean and DRY. consider regular application of AF powders. treat severe problems with OTC AF creames
- avoid: never use cornstarch on a fungal infection, don't hesitate to begin treatment as soon as possible

Awhile back when I started wearing 24/7 I battled an ongoing fungal infection on either or both sides of my crotch between scrotum and thighs. My response was to dry the hell out of it with lots of talc. This finally ended the fungal infection, only to lead right into eccema. (out of the pot and into the fire!) So then I slathered on the baby lotion down there for a few days straight (and wearing a diaper to work helped, I could keep that area saturated with lotion without soaking my pants!) but then I started veering back into yeaste problems again as I tried to go back to talc or cornstarch. After changing out baby lotion for AF cremes for a few days, I went back to powders and yep... eccema started up again. It was like damned if I do, damned if I don't.

What I finally settled on, and do to this day, is treat that area daily with a liberal coating of Zeesorb AF (an antufungal talc) but in a more reasonable quantity. It's not enough to give me eccema, but the AF in it combined with the drying talc keeps out the yeaste. I also make a point of washing that area thoroughly at least once a day with a warm damp facecloth. So my skin stays happy. :) My body is just prone to yeaste though, I get non-problematic patches behind my ears and its probably a contributing factor to my dandruff. So some people are just going to be more succeptable to certain probems than others. Some people can just abuse the heck out of their skin and never have a problem. With others, it's a daily battle.

I'd forgotten about baby powder. What a wonderful thing! Will go out Sat & buy a bottle & begin using it...

rick

Yes

I buy baby powder in bulk, open them up, and empty them in a big tupperware "Flour" container. I use a measuring cup (1/3 cup) and scoop out a leveled amount and pour it on each diaper before wearing, and another level measure poured in front and back after applying the diaper. I just leave the cup in the flour bin so it doesn't end up with measuring cups for food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back