Anyone here play any instruments/have played? If so how hard was it to learn?

critter74

Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Honestly just curious to see some other musicians on here and thought this would be a fun discussion starter (bonus points if you are a sax player hehe totally not biased btw)

Reactions: Bbypoco, diaperdude and Cottontail
I took piano lessons when I was young and played trombone for years. And I sing.
Recently picked up the kalimba!

Reactions: Cottontail and critter74
I played a bit of guitar when I was younger and also bought a bass guitar a few years back and got pretty decent at it but stoped playing after 2 years or something. I’m trying to get back into it because I would love to be able to play them well but I’m too impatient to practice. Maybe one day…

Reactions: critter74
I played clarinet and alto sex in elementary school, then oboe, English horn, a little bit of bassoon, and tube/sousaphone in later years. During high school, I also worked as a wedding musician. I kept up sousaphone through college (university) and was in the marching band. It was all a lot of fun. When my dad passed away a few years ago, he bequeathed to me a nice flamenco guitar, and I'm hoping to learn. I just have way too many hobbies!

TrueHero said:
I took piano lessons when I was young and played trombone for years. And I sing.
Recently picked up the kalimba!
Yooo that’s awesome!! Kalimba looks so fun to play but the ones I’ve seen seem so tiny I imagine I’d get hand cramps trying to play one lol. Good luck on your journey of learning kalimba, I’m sure you’ll be a great player!!

Reactions: TrueHero
I have played trombone since I was 12. Have played in orchestras, jazz bands, done musicals.... I love it's versatility. I don't play as much any more, life kind of gets in the way, but I still practice. As for how hard - well it's all relative I think. Sometimes you need to practice a lot, sometimes it comes easy.

Reactions: TrueHero and critter74
Cottontail said:
I played clarinet and alto sex in elementary school, then oboe, English horn, a little bit of bassoon, and tube/sousaphone in later years. During high school, I also worked as a wedding musician. I kept up sousaphone through college (university) and was in the marching band. It was all a lot of fun. When my dad passed away a few years ago, he bequeathed to me a nice flamenco guitar, and I'm hoping to learn. I just have way too many hobbies!
Ayyyy alto sax in elementary is cool, I didn’t get to start learning mine until I got to middle school. That’s a lot of instruments too! Bassoon and sousaphone is especially impressive to me since bassoon is a double reeded instrument. I couldn’t play one for the life of me lol. Good luck learning the guitar, I actually got one passed down to me recently too!! I mostly just strum it every now and then for fun though as I’m just trying to get better at sax atm.

Reactions: Cottontail
critter74 said:
Yooo that’s awesome!! Kalimba looks so fun to play but the ones I’ve seen seem so tiny I imagine I’d get hand cramps trying to play one lol. Good luck on your journey of learning kalimba, I’m sure you’ll be a great player!!
Mine (gifted to me) has a little more than 2 octaves! It’s a decent size. I learned a couple songs from Lord of the Rings/Hobbit movies so I could play them on vacation to New Zealand

Piano is the easiest instrument, then Flute and then Guitar, but mostly I compose music using FL Studio.

critter74 said:
Honestly just curious to see some other musicians on here and thought this would be a fun discussion starter (bonus points if you are a sax player hehe totally not biased btw)
I primarily did piano growing up, but I eventually branched out and learned the basics of a lot of instruments (sax included ofc ;>)

I usually played clarinet and pretty much any mallet percussion though when it came to bands and competitions, but now I play the Mini Kinnor Harp (my new fav)

Learning the basics of any instrument was pretty easy for me, once you get past the hurdle of reading the music and understanding how the instrument is played it was super simple for me
But getting to the competition level? that was the real kicker. Hundreds of hours of practice dedicated to a couple songs wrecked me for a while lol

lintukoto said:
I primarily did piano growing up, but I eventually branched out and learned the basics of a lot of instruments (sax included ofc ;>)

I usually played clarinet and pretty much any mallet percussion though when it came to bands and competitions, but now I play the Mini Kinnor Harp (my new fav)

Learning the basics of any instrument was pretty easy for me, once you get past the hurdle of reading the music and understanding how the instrument is played it was super simple for me
But getting to the competition level? that was the real kicker. Hundreds of hours of practice dedicated to a couple songs wrecked me for a while lol
Okay first off BASED FOR SAX— second off, harps of any kind are my literal favorite instrument so that’s really cool.. Just looked up a Mini Kinnor and wow that is one really cool looking instrument. As with learning basics of new stuff being easy but hard to master holy cow I relate with that so much 😭 I felt so happy with my progress on clarinet only to be given some slightly more complex + faster music and I straight up croaked… As for my main instrument being sax even after 5-6 years of playing I still feel like such a beginner lol

Reactions: nectar0001 and LittleEila
critter74 said:
Okay first off BASED FOR SAX— second off, harps of any kind are my literal favorite instrument so that’s really cool.. Just looked up a Mini Kinnor and wow that is one really cool looking instrument. As with learning basics of new stuff being easy but hard to master holy cow I relate with that so much 😭 I felt so happy with my progress on clarinet only to be given some slightly more complex + faster music and I straight up croaked… As for my main instrument being sax even after 5-6 years of playing I still feel like such a beginner lol
I love harps so much- which is why I love my lil mini kinnor harp
Like legit it's portable, sounds amazing, is relatively cheap, and you can pretty easily tune it to any key
If i had more time and money I totally would've tried to master the baritone sax, it was my dream instrument in the past but for now it remains but a dream 😅

Really depends what your goals are. Based on my own experience, practically anyone can learn how to play a scale and a 4 chords song in a day. I was playing basic blues solos within a couple of weeks.

Mastery? I don't know. I'm not a musician, just a guy who plays. I like guitar, uke, and a wee bit of keyboard and bass. Played trumpet for a year, but that was ages ago. I remember nothing.

lintukoto said:
I love harps so much- which is why I love my lil mini kinnor harp
Like legit it's portable, sounds amazing, is relatively cheap, and you can pretty easily tune it to any key
If i had more time and money I totally would've tried to master the baritone sax, it was my dream instrument in the past but for now it remains but a dream 😅
Actual dream instrument wtf I’d love to just carry my sax around in my pocket and whip it out to play some tiny jazz solo lmao might even get a kinnor harp just to mess around ngl—
ALSO BARI SAX YEAAAAH it’s actually so fun to play too I just wish they didn’t cost like $5k 😭 some instruments are best left alone just cuz of the sheer cost honestly

Reactions: LittleEila
critter74 said:
Actual dream instrument wtf I’d love to just carry my sax around in my pocket and whip it out to play some tiny jazz solo lmao might even get a kinnor harp just to mess around ngl—
ALSO BARI SAX YEAAAAH it’s actually so fun to play too I just wish they didn’t cost like $5k 😭 some instruments are best left alone just cuz of the sheer cost honestly
i'm not saying you should buttttt you totally should :3
and YESSS i love the bari sax so much, i swear it's like the one expensive instrument that i'm going to aim to get at some point in my life :>
i must play cool tunes, it's calling me

I play on piano, amateur way, I took lessons in my childhood but I missed for a decade. Hardest part is/was sheet music reading. Nowdays youtube and other sites can help learning, there are many vids where you can watch and see the hands of players and listen to the music which you want to play. When I was child I played on real piano instrument and all my family and neighbor got angry when I practiced for hours so I think electric keyboard with earphones is better choice for start and you can record your playing and controll yourself. It needs much practice but it's one ofthe best way to relax for me.

Reactions: critter74 and TrueHero
I play guitar and piano. Taught myself to play both. Guitar as a 12 year old and piano at 40. If you have a piano or keyboard get the book “how to play the piano dispute years of lessons”. Teaches “Facebook” piano which is what you need to play most popular songs.

Reactions: TrueHero
critter74 said:
Henlo! Yes I have been playing instruments most of life! I play an assortment of em started percussion in middle school and quickly picked up guitar after. I did the whole music route in college with a focus on jazz studies and that's when I started learning piano. I think drums are the easiest of em all but I have been playing those the longest. Still play to this day and gigging constantly I play with a handful of local bands and sit ins when I get called. I just recently started fronting my own band here tho playing guitar and singing! I can't sing very well but everyone tells me it's unique and they like it lol.

Reactions: critter74 and LaLoneDigi
I was in elementary school band and when I got to 7th grade I joined our winter indoor marching drumline 7th grade thru 12th. In my sophomore thru senior year I marched for the Blue Stars Drum and Bugle Corps on their Bassline then my junior and senior year I marched with Minnesota Brass Inc. Drum and bugle Corps on the Bassline. My junior and senior year for Marching Band and winter drumline I marched on the Snare Line. Now, I teach my 2 sons drumming.

Reactions: critter74 and LaLoneDigi
I play church organ: I'm mostly self-taught, although I have attended a course on playing organ, which gave me the privilege of briefly playing one of England's finest cathedral organs. I learned piano as a child, and moved on to organ later. It's a very powerful instrument, like playing a whole orchestra, and it's easy to make it sound very loud and grand by pressing the right buttons, but playing it well is much more difficult, especially with the feet as well, which you don't learn with the piano.

I'd love to try playing other instruments, such as brass.

Reactions: KendallP, critter74 and nectar0001
Back