Anyone here play any instruments/have played? If so how hard was it to learn?

I wish I could afford a concertina.
Learn to play it In elementary school I won a talent show with my number organ . I did play my violin school one . But being very poor I had to turn it back in. And could not continue. My fingers to fat for strumming 🎸.
Not enough lungs to play a wind instrument. But I love classical, bagpipe, ballad foke music.
God old rock and roll.
Show tunes musicals are my favorite. There was a YouTube violin artist that is so talented playing Star Trek theme music I very much enjoyed it.

I play guitar and learned it for myself. And i played some more instruments. I think the most important thing is to excercise more than once in a week. And sometimes you need profis - music school or also youtube tutorials..
The problem by selflearning is, you do much mistakes and learn wrong. If you realy would play good, you have to go to music school.

BBBen said:
I play guitar and learned it for myself. And i played some more instruments. I think the most important thing is to excercise more than once in a week. And sometimes you need profis - music school or also youtube tutorials..
The problem by selflearning is, you do much mistakes and learn wrong. If you realy would play good, you have to go to music school.
I agree but my problem is with dyslexia written music I reverse letters. So I can understand it sadly I played by ear.

playing by ear is also a talent @foxkits
But evry music school teacher would say: for technic you need more. Is dyslexya also a problem by notes

Played trumpet for a bit while in school, don't do it anymore though. I still sing and e piano though.

@mistykitty i played trombone for beginners. I could also play a tone on trumpet. And singing and keyboard was my favorite. But could only play akkords not much more

BBBen said:
playing by ear is also a talent @foxkits
But evry music school teacher would say: for technic you need more. Is dyslexya also a problem by notes
Yes

I'm actually in a band where I play drums.
It really wasn't hard for as ever since i was young I would try to imitate the drums in music I heard so over the years I just kept getting better until now where I'm good (wouldn't call myself a pro) I can now listen to almost any music and pick out the drum parts and play it

Reactions: BBBen and nectar0001
Musical instruments came easy to me. I can play any instrument at a 12th grade level. My main instruments are guitar, drums and keyboards. How hard is it? Everyone is different but if you love it you’ll learn quicker

I play bass in a number of small bands - am no expert, but love to play. Rock & roll is for everyone!

(An ADISC band would be fun... what would the original songs be like??)

• Love
Reactions: critter74 and BBBen
I've got jogwheels a little while ago because I like DJs a lot and I think crab scratching is one of the coolest sounds in the whole of music! I'm not very practiced but I've got a general feel for the mechanics of it, I just need to get the dexterity down.

I've been playing the violin for 14 years, though I'm certainly no professional. I also play the recorder, ukelele and harmonica.

Reactions: critter74 and BBBen
critter74 said:
Honestly just curious to see some other musicians on here and thought this would be a fun discussion starter (bonus points if you are a sax player hehe totally not biased btw)
Does playing the radio count?

nectar0001 said:
I play bass in a number of small bands - am no expert, but love to play. Rock & roll is for everyone!

(An ADISC band would be fun... what would the original songs be like??)
Oooh that’s pretty fire, always loved bass and been obsessed with em when I was in my early teens. As for an ADISC band, I imagine that’d be pretty fun lol, though what the songs would be about? Honestly can’t tell cuz they’d probably just be instrumental if I helped make one lol

Reactions: nectar0001 and BBBen
JustAVisitor said:
I've been playing the violin for 14 years, though I'm certainly no professional. I also play the recorder, ukelele and harmonica.
That’s incredible!!! I love violin as it seems like such an elegant string instrument. I actually have one myself too although I’m pretty terrible at it since I never had access to string instrument lessons in my area so I’ve had to teach myself to play it. Being able to play so many different instruments must take a lot of time and patience, I only really know how to play 2 so it’s cool hearing about other musicians with much more experience than myself ^^

Reactions: JustAVisitor and BBBen
Wow lots here!! I have had over 20 albums published, almostv20 thousand downloads in 100 countries. Wooden flutes, drums, rattles, thumb piano, marimba, tank, keyboard. Bandname was my ymca indian guides Little Brave name: sleeping thunder.

Last edited:
I’ve played musical instruments since I was a kid. I play the following: guitar, bass, drums, piano, ukulele, mandolin, banjo, and pedal steel guitar.

There's lessons on YouTube.

Started fairly young with the euphonium (baritone) and as soon as I was big enough I started playing trombone. Tuba soon followed, again size constraints. I played in several local bands and an orchestra through my early twenties. I can also play keyboards/piano, sax (tenor mainly) and a little guitar (enough to read the guitarist in a band). I started playing keys in some rock bands (covers mostly) in my thirties plus back filling everything else with trombone, sax and a nifty little thing called an aerophone. I can also play accordion well enough to pass it off when needed.

I learned that guitarists and drummers seem to be everywhere. Every kid who ever dreamed of being a rock star learned those but every band needs a keyboardist (different from a pianist) and that guy who can figure out how to put together all the other pieces and I decided to do that. It's worked well and I am never short of offers or paying work if I want (not a pro although I have had some pretty tempting offers).

In grade school, we had to try the recorder, one year. Did not enjoy it. Years later, tried it on my own. Much better! Different when its your own choice.

Back