Any Nuclear plant workers?

TheMat said:
No but I see the clouds that nuclear station puts out. I take my jetski out on Wylie occasionally. Usually up on Mountain Island though closer to McGuire.
Marshall steam station is right there too! Right near my house 😉

goodnitelvr10 said:
Marshall steam station is right there too! Right near my house 😉
Nice do you ever get out on the lake?

TheMat said:
Nice do you ever get out on the lake?
I haven’t in years but I’m minutes away. I had friends with boats a while back but haven’t been out in the water in quite a while.

Have spent some time at a few sites in Region 2 in various roles and travelled to a few others for short assignments.

Reactions: iluvdps2 and goodnitelvr10
Didn’t work in the plant . I was the radioactive containment officer in my department so in the event of an incident I would assume command 0f all personnel setting up decontamination and making the decisions who and what remained serviceable and who was a ghost . It was a hard position because I had existing relationships with everyone in the responder community . It’s not my nature to give up on somebody . That was like 30 years ago, the plant is now decommissioned and closed except for security . I think I would rather hop the fence at WH and be a chew toy than be shot hoping a fence onto reactor grounds there is no warning shots or commands they will turn you off like a light except with lead .

I don't work in the nuclear field but I have a nuclear blowout in my diaper at the moment, does that count?

• Haha
Reactions: iluvdps2
Wow you're back end is glowing in the dark🤣

I work in a place that builds valves to put in a nuclear power plants

Tetra said:
Didn’t work in the plant . I was the radioactive containment officer in my department so in the event of an incident I would assume command 0f all personnel setting up decontamination and making the decisions who and what remained serviceable and who was a ghost . It was a hard position because I had existing relationships with everyone in the responder community . It’s not my nature to give up on somebody . That was like 30 years ago, the plant is now decommissioned and closed except for security . I think I would rather hop the fence at WH and be a chew toy than be shot hoping a fence onto reactor grounds there is no warning shots or commands they will turn you off like a light except with lead .
Wow that’s crazy! I know security does not play any games

I was never in a working nuclear reactor, but I did tour the Limerick reactor before it went online. I was also involved a tiny bit with the construction of the tokamak fusion reactor at Princeton University.

BabyDenise said:
I was never in a working nuclear reactor, but I did tour the Limerick reactor before it went online. I was also involved a tiny bit with the construction of the tokamak fusion reactor at Princeton University.
Cool!!! I’ve never been to Limerick, but know exactly where it is.

Sounds like you guys working in the nuclear plants travel around a lot what’s the nature of the work ,why all the traveling?

goodnitelvr10 said:
Wow that’s crazy! I know security does not play any games
Incidently the plant was Buchanan AKA “three mile island “ which did have a couple of serious leaks but not on my watch .

Well, i've done a couple projects at sites in IL back in the 90's, been long enough that I dont think anythng i did back then would even still be in use anymore. But yeah i got a couple "tours" to see the light...

But, only did work on the sites a few weeks as part of a project i did, so wasnt there very long at all, just doing some upgrades. But yeah reactors are very cool and very complicated.
Also did some work at Fermilab as well back then. That is a cool facility as well, love to have seen CERN but never had the chance.

That said, anyone doing 12hr shifts or even doing more hours in a row need some relaxing time down, outages i've done have run into days long on-site and barely a nap in the truck or on a computer room floor. Long runs working suck!

But, we need to get back onto getting more reactors going, perhaps molten salt reactors even. But they are about the currently best option as for pollution to basic electric load on the grid.

Bigbabybret said:
Well, i've done a couple projects at sites in IL back in the 90's, been long enough that I dont think anythng i did back then would even still be in use anymore. But yeah i got a couple "tours" to see the light...

But, only did work on the sites a few weeks as part of a project i did, so wasnt there very long at all, just doing some upgrades. But yeah reactors are very cool and very complicated.
Also did some work at Fermilab as well back then. That is a cool facility as well, love to have seen CERN but never had the chance.

That said, anyone doing 12hr shifts or even doing more hours in a row need some relaxing time down, outages i've done have run into days long on-site and barely a nap in the truck or on a computer room floor. Long runs working suck!

But, we need to get back onto getting more reactors going, perhaps molten salt reactors even. But they are about the currently best option as for pollution to basic electric load on the grid.
I’ve been to Fermi! Unit 2 a number of times actually.
I’ve kind of lost track of all the nuclear sites I’ve been to honestly. But the hours are the same at all of them. Long…… I worked 84 hour weeks pretty consistently for 3 years straight and it takes it’s toll. Luckily today is my day off and I’ve had a diaper on my butt the entire day lol. It’s been a 72 hour week up to this point so I’m doing everything I can to relax. Being on night shift further complicates things since there isn’t much to do during the night.

I’m with you, without nuclear power, there is no way we can meet the increasing power needs.

Reactions: Bigbabybret
geka said:
Sounds like you guys working in the nuclear plants travel around a lot what’s the nature of the work ,why all the traveling?
Constant travel! It’s because of the various plant locations. You have to go where you are needed

Cottontail said:
Not me, but the university (Washington State) I attended had a student-run nuclear reactor, and one of my roommates was an operator. That was in the early/mid 90s. I got to take a tour, look down into the reactor pool, as see the core surrounded by its eerie blue glow. (Of course, it was nothing like an energy production reactor.) I've also toured B Reactor at the Hanford Site in Washington, which was probably the best/coolest/spookiest tour I've ever gone on.
That's awesome, Cottontail! I've had two opportunities to tour B Plant at Hanford. Both times I was driving back from the Tri-Cities and just was like Frick-It (107 F OSA temp!)

I so want to go; watched all the youtube videos of them pounding out the PU-239.

That and the Ape Caves. And gold panning in general I guess. I could care less about going to the "coast".

Anyway, Bremsstrahlung to you guys!

Personally I am a big fan of nuclear power. I think the world would be much cleaner with more power plants on it. But their are a few idiots that have ruined the idea for most people.

If you have never seen the movie Silkwood it will make your blood boil. The level of stupidity. I live less than 1 hour from that old Kerr Mcgee nuclear fuel rod plant in Crescent Oklahoma. Now it is a aerospace manufacturing plant. But it was almost as big as a black eye to the industry as 3 miles. Pure criminal. But I believe the military has proved safe if handled rite. The only issue is corporate and private facilities are pressed by greed to save a buck when the military has a pretty much endless budget. Greed is what causes corners to be cut.
Very cool job you have. I bet diapers at work could come in pretty handy. Any job with attention to detail and long hours and few breaks they can benefit greatly.. Diapers was my secrete weapon to driving over 600 miles everyday when I drove a truck.

Diaperman95 said:
Personally I am a big fan of nuclear power. I think the world would be much cleaner with more power plants on it. But their are a few idiots that have ruined the idea for most people.

If you have never seen the movie Silkwood it will make your blood boil. The level of stupidity. I live less than 1 hour from that old Kerr Mcgee nuclear fuel rod plant in Crescent Oklahoma. Now it is a aerospace manufacturing plant. But it was almost as big as a black eye to the industry as 3 miles. Pure criminal. But I believe the military has proved safe if handled rite. The only issue is corporate and private facilities are pressed by greed to save a buck when the military has a pretty much endless budget. Greed is what causes corners to be cut.
Very cool job you have. I bet diapers at work could come in pretty handy. Any job with attention to detail and long hours and few breaks they can benefit greatly.. Diapers was my secrete weapon to driving over 600 miles everyday when I drove a truck.
Alot of it comes down to human error! Nuclear is inherently safe, until us humans manage to screw it up. There are so many safety measures in place it’s mind bending!

As far as diapers at work….. It sure would be nice. But just not possible in the areas I work. We have to wear protective suits most of the time and are always at risk of losing closing due to contamination. But man would it be convienient since certain areas make it EXTREMELY difficult to take bathroom breaks.

Reactions: Diaperman95
goodnitelvr10 said:
I’ve been to Fermi! Unit 2 a number of times actually.
I’ve kind of lost track of all the nuclear sites I’ve been to honestly. But the hours are the same at all of them. Long…… I worked 84 hour weeks pretty consistently for 3 years straight and it takes it’s toll. Luckily today is my day off and I’ve had a diaper on my butt the entire day lol. It’s been a 72 hour week up to this point so I’m doing everything I can to relax. Being on night shift further complicates things since there isn’t much to do during the night.

I’m with you, without nuclear power, there is no way we can meet the increasing power needs.
Yes, i've always been a contractor, so on projects if something is getting behind and/or there is any issues, i'd be on-site and often pull up to 24hrs strait to get it done, probbly why i get a lot of repeat business back in the day, as just got the job done and didnt bother the client much. I also being contract was never on an hourly rater per se, my guys were paid hourly, but me was just the contract, good or bad.

Yes, atomic power has had failures, but also the tech still being used is from the 50's 60's at best, and the releases have been due to some rather glaring issues at least after the fact, backup generators in the basement in a known sunami flood zone, come on someone should have seen that, sites i've been on have the generators at elevation even if in a bunker it's not in a basement.
With the rbmk, well nuff said, not even a containment structure to speak of at all...

But, yeah on the grid there is a rather large base load that needs to be satisified and everything has pullution, from coal to hydro there is a cost. Atomic energy is a known quantity, known pollution and known issues for the most part, and the other options have much more pollution going out all the time, so in the end there is more damage IMHO in the end for just about everything, hydro is a close second depending on the location, but also limitied as well.

Take some more nukes and de-enrich them for fuel bundles and bring up some more reactors, many places are still adding or at least replacing atomic sites, and some getting rid of them, but its mostly pollitical...look at germany for instance.

But, i'm glad there are the people willing to do the hours and the work to keep things safe and running, keep it up, take the time off and relax when you can.

Back