Military

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had all of my paperwork turned to the Air Nation Guard, but I had to lose 25 pounds which isn't all that much of a problem,, but I ended up in a hippy mind set and I never went back for a while. I was thinking about it again so who knows. I even did AFROTC a bit at my university. I'm currently studying Aviation and there are a lot of military people in the program.

Really hard, because we are an overpowered MOS

USMC Vet here.
1300 (All Marines are!)/3521, 3522 (if it had wheels, I worked on it)
Joined up after the bombing of the Marine Corps. barracks in Beirut, Lebanon (I was still in H.S.).
Mustered-out just prior to the first Gulf War (but tried to rejoin. Alas, medical injuries prevented)

A Country Song, titled- 'All gave some. Some gave all!', has always kept me grounded in my attitude about Vets, and the way our govt. directs the countries' Forces throughout the world. While I may not personally agree with what our politicians do/don't do, I always hold fellow Vets in very high regards.

Until you place your hide on the line, and prove you are willing to invest your life in what you believe in?

Semper Fi!

B.

Current Marine here been in for 11 years, 3 combat deployments and 2 MEU's. I'm a door gunner/mechanic on helicopters. I would wear in the barracks on quiet nights alone, never had a problem.

13 years US Air Force. They got rid of me because of injuries and a massive draw-down state. I got to see Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan with Uncle Same. I also went around the world many many many times and to many many many countries. I recently was released after a year spent fighting their decision (I wasn't going without a fight!) and absolutely hate it.

I was a military Brat and always knew that I would serve. It's not that I don't have any further aspirations for myself, I just always wanted to serve my country. I feel lost on the outside, and feel very much like a small boy excluded from his secret clubhouse with all his friends inside. It does hurt knowing that I will not retire from the military, I always thought I would.

Now I have the extreme displeasure of dealing with continuing health care through a VA system that is staffed by some of the most uncaring incompetent angry and lazy individuals. I am also having to adjust to a civilian society, one that I have NEVER been part of. In some ways, I am like Bane. "Oh, you're in the US Military, but you merely joined the service. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn’t see the civilian world until I was an old man (military standards); by then, it was nothing to me but confusing and twisted!"

But seriously, the civilian world confuses me. I cannot understand why simple orders are not given and followed, why people will not work together and accomplish the mission, and why people seem so caught up in racial, religious, and even sexual definitions of a person. Those don't matter as long as you can succeed as a unit.

These feelings come from my being in college now. I am now able to fully pursue my engineering degree instead of one class here and there. I have dedicated all my time to school, as much time as I dedicated to my job while I was still in. I do not wish to seek employment for as long as possible, and treat my education as my employment. I think I've earned that much.

I do find that I get aggravated easily by the civilian population now. It was easy to interact with them while I was in, but now that I am one it is difficult and I don't fit in (which is very difficult for someone that spent his whole life moving constantly and learning to fit in wherever he was at!). For example, if there is someone in my class that is not paying attention, I cannot correct the situation. Granted, if they are not being disruptive it should have no bearing on me, but by nature it is disruptive to me as I find it very rude and distracting. I ignore it though.

If someone IS being disruptive I have to be very "tactful", "polite", "pc" in addressing the situation. I cannot simply correct the offender. I know that I am rambling now, but it feels good to get these things out. Where I am at now is the FIRST time I have been in a city where there was not at least one other person I knew. Even as a kid, when we moved so much so did other military brats. You always seemed to know someone somewhere or at least someone who knew someone. The same with different assignments. This assignment is different, and I don't like it.

I don't have that same social network that comes with military service. I didn't have a group of strangers welcome me with open arms, a beer in one hand, and a handshake for the other. I didn't have a group of strangers willing to help me move, show me around, and get me situated. It is hell.

I hate the outside.

All I wanted was 7 more years to serve my country. I can still walk and the memory issues have subsided. Why couldn't I just stay and be a productive member?

Semper Paratus was my Motto after being born USN. Privileged to go lots of places as a dependent then boot camp in Cape May. Took me years to adjust to civilian life, still miss some parts of that life, but life continues.

Llayden. My brother is going through a similar thing. The psychs classify it as "adjustment disorder." But he passed it on to a lot of us. :) It must be contagious. He sees people in our world as selfish, inefficient and rude. The difference is he is no longer tactful in return. He's throwing himself into his work but he wants to start volunteering with animals because animals aren't people. Dog shelters are his main thing.

Can you join a volunteer organisation? Volunteer firefighting? You may get annoyed at the casualness of it as it's discipline isn't as strict and there's a lot of chatting before and after training, if I go by Australia. That is more aiming towards retaining members and being social. But there are often ex-military members and it's good training. (unless you have already done the training through the military)

I don't know how your VA works but ours is screwed. My brother and my best mate have both got lawyers for it. Do you have a RSL system in the US? Do they provide advocates to do some of the annoying shit for you? (Don't get me started on OUR RSL. "Oh, you didn't fight in a conventional war. We fought in a real war." ... not in those words but that's how they treat my brother.

Aidy said:
Llayden. My brother is going through a similar thing. The psychs classify it as "adjustment disorder." But he passed it on to a lot of us. :) It must be contagious. He sees people in our world as selfish, inefficient and rude. The difference is he is no longer tactful in return.

This sounds awfully familiar! Haha! Yeah, It is an adjustment disorder. The problem is the rest of the world just won't adjust for some reason. Haha! Actually, I am looking quite heavily into some different volunteer units around here. I guess there is just something in me that enjoys serving the community in some capacity. I am looking into the local SAR (Search and Rescue), volunteer wildfire units, and even park rangers. I love my area here in the Pacific North West, and there is so much to do in the outdoors. That means there are many people that need help unfortunately.

I have found the veterans area on campus and find that is where 99% of vets congregate between classes for studying, tutoring, and just to escape the insanity that is the civilian population. It is kind of like a safe area, and I really appreciate it. It is strange that such a place is needed for us. Honestly, when I was still in I never would have thought in a million years that I would have these feelings and frustrations.

Our VA system is severely flawed, providers flawed and ineffective service, and is universally despised. I don't even want to discuss it. It angers me most of the time.

I was in active service three years. And never want to return.

My father has served for 27 years and counting with the U.S. Air Force, formerly working on the flight line on C130s. Now in a classified job.

I currently waiting on a bid to go through Navy OCS at Newport RI to become either an Intel officer, NFO (naval flight officer), or IW officer (information warfare). Im also looking into JAG somewhat.

Stuggling with the maddening 'hurry up and wait' BS, but I'm nonetheless fired up to get over to OCS and (hopefully) graduate an officer once I'm through with school.

Truthfully the Air Force was going to be my first choice, but they are not accepting officer candidates for OCS right now due to budget issues. So I am going Navy.

Duality said:
Be a Pilot or work with JAG. I'm working with them right now and Sergeants all the way to Colonels are so laid back in this environment it's great really. A lot of Servicemen get so caught up with rank and forget their just People. Pilots have it made dude. If you can't do OCS to fly, the Army has Warrant Officer School for aspiring Helo Pilots. All options for you. I recommend flying though.

For sure! Truthfully, those two areas came up to me in particular specifically because they seemed to be the more laid back of the various officer positions. I've known for a while that I wanted to go in as an officer, but I never felt particularly eager to be the sort of sterotypical asshole officer who's existance seems to be based on making subordinates lives hell.

From what I understand, pilots and JAG people, while still officers--are much more approachable/laid back than other officers (although this is a HUGE generalization I'm making here). That ultimatly, is something I was hoping to find. I'm willing to lead obviously, but I'd much rather be in an officer position where things are a bit more casual, if that's even a possibility with the military.

I've heard a TON of great things about Army helo pilots, and actually I live fairly nearby to Fort Campbell, where the 160th SOAR guys are based out of (Nightstalkers). The things those pilots do with a helicopter is so incredible it makes me dizzy just thinking about it. Freaking awesome honestly.

Clearances

As long as you keep your stuff secure and are keeping correct securities on your online social media they won't really come after you. Don't use your shops/ commands computers to get online to the ab/dl websites but if you're not careless about it, no one can really find out/ cares to. I would watch out for the regular stigmas. A lot of people in the military can be close minded so you have to be careful who you tell. It just comes down to security and their "reputation". Can't really post pics of self in diapers and such. As long as it's not conflicting opsec most will be ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Duality said:
16 Months left till I get my DD214. I'll stick around if another War kicks off but I'm ready to live my own life without having people micromanage every aspect of my existence.

Life isn't too bad outside of all the politics! Take advantage of whatever you can. Unemployment, VA benefits etc... They help with transitioning too!

In one of the darker periods of my life, I tried to join the military as an elaborate suicide. Turns out though it's difficult to lie about one's medical problems to enter and I never made it in. That's the closest I ever came to the military, heh.

6 years active and 2 reserves. I would have to disagree with the idea that its a itch that can't be scratched if you live in the barracks. I spent four years in the barracks and met the desires. I also shared community housing in Afghanistan and met the need their as well. I will admit its a lot harder and would agree not to even think about 24/7ing it or even overnight it (unless your in a hotel) but it is fully possible to identify whether there is immediate potential for discovery or if the area is secure for a bit and spend some quality diaper/baby time. Key is quantity and or disguise. Keep the amount of AB/DL stuff to a minimum and when possible disguise it so it won't be recognized. Most are so closed minded to the idea of what an AB/DL is that they will latch onto any alternative explanation for something because you just don't fit the mold of what they view a AB/DL to be. I had a pacifier discovered in my barracks room during a surprise inspection they just auto-assumed my family had a baby with them when they visited and accidentally left it behind. I got dinged for not cleaning up well enough to find it but that was the end of it. So as I said quantity and disguise. If there are any in the service in the barracks that are wondering about it feel free to message me and I'd be happy to share techniques I used in private.

Ooops, I can't respond to private messages yet. I am still to new. I have received and read the PM's and even typed up responses (that are now saved in a notepad) I will try very hard to remember to go back and send them once I'm out of the new member dog house. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back