Tips on telling friends about wearing diapers

EdwardTheDL1998

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Greetings!
I've been taking a month or so break from ADISC, but I am now back, and I thought I would kick my return off with some stories and tips regarding telling friends that you wear diapers.

I have as of this time, voluntarily, told 6 friends about me wearing diapers. Well... 5 friends, only one of them didn't stick around, so I guess he wasn't a friend after all.

Anyhow, I am going to be sharing some of my stories that regards telling others.

First off, let me just say, that all the times I've "told" a friend, I have written it, rather than saying it. Whilst saying it in person probably could help you in the future, and make you more confident in notifying others, I just haven't found ability to do that.

I will start with a few of my stories and then get to some overall tips.

Story 1:
This was the first time I told someone that I wear diapers. This is a long distance friendship, and we talk very often, also now, which means that it went pretty well. Regardless, I started by saying that I had this thing I wanted to say, and it basically wasn't anything I had ever told anyone, but I felt like I wanted it out of my mind, and that I would love to have a friend to be able to talk to, no matter what it was. The rest of the story is pretty generic. I recall me writing something like: "Okay, so... I wear diapers. This is not entirely because of a medical reason... More stuff." and to be honest, that message worked out pretty well. He was very understanding, and said: "If it helps you, and you feel like it is something you need, then who would I be to say otherwise?" (There was more to the response, and this was a summary.)

Regardless, after this, I thought that: Maybe it wasn't so hard anyway.

After this, I told a few other friends as stated, and most of them went pretty much with the same response. With a few exceptions.

The "Friend" that cut all contact with me, was a whole other approach.
Basically, I was needing advice, because I wanted to tell my girlfriend (Now ex... :/) "something". He then said he would help, and he promised not to judge me, whatever it was. Well, sometimes, people lie... Note that...
He ended up completely ridiculing me, luckily only in private messages though.

And another one that stuck out, was when I told a lady friend of mine.
She was really understanding, but that was also because she considered herself as part of the "little community" as some of you might know of.

At this time, while writing this, I told someone just yesterday. (It's not that different a story from the others, but I just wanted to mention it, since it was less than a day ago.)

Basically, I just went straight to the point and told him the truth, which for me is that I wear diapers, because of an overactive bladder, and because it gives me confidence. His response was literally: "Is it that you wanted to tell me? I thought you killed someone. Hehe. There is nothing wrong with that."(Just a note: I am fully continent, and haven't seen a doctor with my overactive bladder, mostly because it isn't that much of an issue since I wear.)

Anyhow, enough stories! Here are my tips for you:

1. Keep it simple.
Don't overexplain yourself. If you are not asked for details, be careful with giving them Try to keep the message itself short, regardless of if you are speaking, or texting.

2. Build it up nicely and casually.
When building up for the actual message in itself, make sure to make them know that it is hard for you to say, but also be careful to not make them think that it is something that's wrong. Perhaps try with something along the lines of: "I have something that I want to tell you. It is something that I don't really like to talk about, but just want to get off your mind.

3. Pick the right time.
Make sure that you don't have to rush it, that is not encouraging.
Take your time, try to squeeze in the right moment.

4. Determination/Drive to tell.
Make sure you actually have a want/need/drive to tell whoever you are planning on telling. It doesn't matter what your drive is, as long as you have a drive for it, otherwise, it can be a hell to take the last step.

-If you follow these simple guidelines and spice it up with some of your own personality, you should be more than good to go. :)

Make sure to ask if you have any questions, and I will then try to answer as thoroughly as possible.

Have a nice day.
Best regards.
-Edward.

Reactions: DLguy23 and neophyte
Just upping this threat, as someone might need it. Better be safe than sorry. :)
Feel free to post your own tips if you have any. :)

-Edward.

While I’m sure this info can definitely help some people here, I have always been of the mindset that nobody needs to know about one’s choice of underwear except for a partner or significant other. You wouldn’t be compelled to tell a friend that you are wearing boxers, briefs, boxer briefs, thongs, g-strings, panties, etc, would you? Diapers are just another type of underwear and I feel that’s information that should remain private. The only people in my life that know about me wearing diapers is my wife (who hates it) and a childhood friend who lives two states away. I only told him because he told me that he was gay and I could tell he was terrified to do so. To make him feel more at ease about giving such a big reveal, I told him about my diapers. He thought it was great.

Congrats on most of it going well though. I’m glad it worked out for you.

Reactions: perlFerret and diaperloverfromPA
PaddedInPuyallup said:
While I’m sure this info can definitely help some people here, I have always been of the mindset that nobody needs to know about one’s choice of underwear except for a partner or significant other. You wouldn’t be compelled to tell a friend that you are wearing boxers, briefs, boxer briefs, thongs, g-strings, panties, etc, would you? Diapers are just another type of underwear and I feel that’s information that should remain private. The only people in my life that know about me wearing diapers is my wife (who hates it) and a childhood friend who lives two states away. I only told him because he told me that he was gay and I could tell he was terrified to do so. To make him feel more at ease about giving such a big reveal, I told him about my diapers. He thought it was great.

First of all, a fair statement. I can see what you mean, and I mostly agree. The reason that I told friends, was mostly because of the reason, that I would rather have them know, then ending up finding out by themselves one day, which could be far more embarrassing- or otherwise, because it's friends I trust, and that I actually feel much better having someone to talk with it about.
That might not reason enough for someone to tell their friends, but for me, it was, and I actually am pretty happy I did so. One of those friends have saved my ass countless of times, cause when we are out with other friends drinking, or partying, etc. he helps out with letting me know if my diaper is visible, or something like that. So if I for an example hadn't told him, he would've just found out anyways the first time he was observant or something, which could result in me having to say it anyways.

Anyhow, just wanted to throw some tips out for people, in case they needed them. This could be some tactics you could use when telling a significant other, etc. So just wanted to make people aware. :)

Best regards.
-Edward.

My friends (and some coworkers) all know, mainly because I have no filter (Aspie thing, apparently? dunno), especially when drunk. Unless someone explicitly tells me it's a secret (Masonically, personal stuff, or classified information), then I tend to pretty much tell anyone. LOL.

perlFerret said:
My friends (and some coworkers) all know, mainly because I have no filter (Aspie thing, apparently? dunno), especially when drunk. Unless someone explicitly tells me it's a secret (Masonically, personal stuff, or classified information), then I tend to pretty much tell anyone. LOL.

I've pretty much been drunk 3/5 times when telling others about me wearing diapers, so I understand your aspect. How did people react to it?

Reactions: perlFerret
PaddedInPuyallup said:

While I agree with you that these are generally private, I think because diapers are not "normal" underwear for over 90% of the population, I can see the OP's point. I just told a friend because of other reasons. I knew he would be understanding as he is a crossdresser.

Timmy53 said:
While I agree with you that these are generally private, I think because diapers are not "normal" underwear for over 90% of the population, I can see the OP's point. I just told a friend because of other reasons. I knew he would be understanding as he is a crossdresser.

I know your response wasn't directed for me, but I wanted to say that I am happy it worked our for you. :)

-Edward.

I also agree that diapers aren't just another type of underwear for many of us. They are an integral part of who we are. And that runs much deeper, and is more important. Dare I point out, important enough to let other close to us know about as well. Mind you that isn't going to be the case for everyone (ie. diaper fetishist), and the reasons for telling will also vary for everyone. It's still enough of a reason for the rest of us though, and those close to us.

I told my husband once and that was back in the late 80's and his only response was "that's your thing" So I never told anyone. I loved diapers since the age of twelve and i never ever told my parents. I knew in my heart their reaction would have been to take me straight to a shrink. It is my fetish and what I love. I feel safe and i use my diaper. I am not incontinent in any way, but I love the way they make me feel. I never had the urge to tell anyone in school or college or for that fact people I work with. It is my secret and it will stay like that.

EdwardTheDL1998 said:
I've pretty much been drunk 3/5 times when telling others about me wearing diapers, so I understand your aspect. How did people react to it?

Friends, pretty awesomely. Mother-in-law who as also drunk, forgot what I said. Coworkers, 3/4 that were there said "That's not nearly as weird as I was expecting" and "yeah, that's actually pretty understandable". One just turned red and won't talk to me now. XD

• Wow
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Couple of friends know and my family and a couple of other friends who I didn't want to know because they like to talk to much and that is the only way I know is one of the people who knows his step dad used to give me a ride to go buy my diapers and was not supposed to say anything but did and now he has went and talked about it to another friend of mine who also talks to much but I don't even care anymore nobody really even mentions it anymore and I am not that embarrassed anymore

Honestly, I think that the fewer people that know, the better. I wouldn’t tell my friends because I don’t do it around them to begin with, unless they’re the few friends I have who are ABDL.

Hi. I joined ADISC many years ago, after having spent some time incontinent, but mostly being an AB/DL. My incontinence, as I should probably have known, was cyclic, and looks like it's here to stay this time.

I tell partners and significant others. I also tell anyone who I may need special accommodations from, because I think it is wrong to even risk leaking on their furniture or linen without giving them a chance to protect it.

Only two people that know me personally know.

1st person is my crush haha, he is completely fine with it, so that's good :).
2nd really good friend. :p

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
CocaCola said:
Only two people that know me personally know.

1st person is my crush haha, he is completely fine with it, so that's good :).
2nd really good friend. :p
Interesting, how did you go about the whole "telling part"? :)

EdwardTheDL1998 said:
Interesting, how did you go about the whole "telling part"? :)

First the crush we talked about peps that we like and I mentioned that I'd really want someone with the same fetish, he got couriers and told him to guess and I'd be 100% honest. He was never able to guess but he still asked about it so I told him. (This one is recent. Think I told him like 3 weeks ago?)

2nd friend. I honestly don't remember I think we were like 14 - 15. I think I might've made a joker about me wearing a diaper while I was wearing one? Honestly, don't remember.

After going 24/7 recently I have told most of my coworkers and 1 friend. No one cared,. They cared that i had some baldder issues, but other than that there were no F's given on what I wear under my pants.

Planning on telling Even more friends as I dont want to live a life in hiding and feeling stressed out if someone sees my diaper butt.

I told one of my friends because I was tired of carrying what felt like a big secret around with me, and didn’t like feeling like I was hiding a massive part of my identity. She took it really well and accepted it totally, she knows I wear more often for comfort than for need, and understands that it’s a security thing for me. These days we just bring it up when it’s relevant or make jokes about it, I’m really glad I told her.

thanks for this. i dont know which of my friends id really want to tell, not because of shyness but just because they really just dont need to know and it wouldn't make a difference to randomly have them accept something they dont understand but as for the friends that i do want to tell, ill remember some of these things. ive only told 3 friends and its always gone really well, i wear around them and everything now. the one thing i think about is when i meet someone one day. when i have a significant other, i know that they will need to know eventually. i dont use the toilet, its not something that can be hidden. being DL is a sexual thing for me too, so having my partner know and accept it would be a generally positive feeling on the inside.

Back