Autism and diapers

Sidewinder said:
I'm pretty sure of that, too.

Another thing that I think contributes as well, is the fear of change.

For the longest time in my life, I've always perceived change as a negative thing, regardless of the countless times that many people in my life have told me that "change is good," or that "change is not a crisis, but an opportunity."

And a small part of that might be (and this is just pure speculation on my part) that after being potty trained and started wearing underwear, I wanted to start wearing diapers again, maybe because I didn't want to fully abandon something that was familiar to me for the first 2-3 years of my life.

I find that when you're very young, you're not as mindful as you are when you're much older.

And where this ties in with potty training, (at least for me) is not thinking about how it will affect you in the days/weeks/months/years to come.

Now I don't remember too much about when I was very young, but from what my mother told me once, I initially was very eager to be potty trained and when I finally was, I eventually ended up wanting to wear diapers again.

Looking back, I speculate that's where my fear of change probably originated.
Possibly... I used to find change very distressing. My Nan was always changing the furniture around and I would have a major tantrum about it because it would upset me, and I could never settle, because the furniture was going to change. Buddhist teachings helped me because everything changes, just let it be, without the empty nappy, there cannot be the full nappy ;)

Reactions: Diprs2, BobbiSueEllen and Sidewinder
I'm not diagnosed, but my children are and their psychiatrist suspects me as the main source of autistic genes, which would nicely fit my mutism in childhood, my general social awkwardness and some other traits. Maybe I should have me tested.

As long as I remember, I have loved essentially every sensory aspect about diapers (outer soft plastic feel, those cute little wrinkles on the leg cuffs, the soft crinkle, the softness when dry, the bulge when wet, I stop here because you all know anyway). It's nice to read from others, thanks to all for sharing.

Reactions: Diprs2, BobbiSueEllen, Sidewinder and 1 other person
ElPulpo said:
I'm not diagnosed, but my children are and their psychiatrist suspects me as the main source of autistic genes, which would nicely fit my mutism in childhood, my general social awkwardness and some other traits. Maybe I should have me tested.

As long as I remember, I have loved essentially every sensory aspect about diapers (outer soft plastic feel, those cute little wrinkles on the leg cuffs, the soft crinkle, the softness when dry, the bulge when wet, I stop here because you all know anyway). It's nice to read from others, thanks to all for sharing.
You sound just like me when it comes to the sensory aspects. I love everything you mentioned. Now as an adult, becoming incontinent wasn't hard to adjust to. I have been diagnosed with combined type ADHD, My psychologist told me I had a lot of autistic traits, but he was hesitant about making an official diagnosis because I didn't quite "tick all the boxes" for an official diagnosis. I've often wondered how many ABDL's are also Neurodivergent in some aspect.

Reactions: Diprs2, BobbiSueEllen and UnderTheRadar
LittleRugrat45 said:
You sound just like me when it comes to the sensory aspects. I love everything you mentioned. Now as an adult, becoming incontinent wasn't hard to adjust to. I have been diagnosed with combined type ADHD, My psychologist told me I had a lot of autistic traits, but he was hesitant about making an official diagnosis because I didn't quite "tick all the boxes" for an official diagnosis. I've often wondered how many ABDL's are also Neurodivergent in some aspect.
In one word: loads. Quite a lot. I think we started finding that out within the last five years as a "Have you ever noticed...?" topic, which grew with responses. What stunned me was finding out I was included! There's a topic here that's titled, roughly, "I just found out I'm autistic. I guess that explains the diapers". Funny enough, I said the exact same thing immediately after my own epiphany. It's certain legion others here have said it, too. It speaks for so many of us.

But I personally love being in diapers, dry or wet...and just as much love and live my baby life. I neither love nor hate my autism but it's amazing where it's taken me all these years. It's been a ride which has taken me on an edge2edge ride in the universe of my mind.

To all the people who've bragged about smoking dope or doing drugs, I've told them "That's nothing. Want a real trip? Try autism for 24 hours, it'll take you places that'll truly blow your mind, might even scare you".

Or for "three strange days", who knows?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AJFan2020, Diprs2, JulestheFloof and 2 others
caitianx said:
Hmm?
How old are you?
I am Autistic and age 66.
Correctly diagnosed at age 47 by a Developmental Neurologist after a lifetime of vocational failures as an adult.
I am 26, I may me on the spectrum but I don't find it too likely. My brother can work from home and is easy enough to take care of without training. I think it is just that we are the same age that made him self conscious.

Reactions: Diprs2, BobbiSueEllen and Sidewinder
Normax said:
My brother is autistic and at the point that he needs a handler for, He is twenty three and still in diapers. I have recently started to care for him and for whatever reason he asked why so few people would still be in diapers and asked about me being in one. I actually tried putting one on and surprisingly I liked it and even wet my diaper intentionally. Having looked into it I noticed Goodnites even markets to autistic people.

I have always been supportive of him and know this is fairly common with autistic people. I was just wondering if anyone had first hand or second experience with this, thank you.
Aww, how supportive of you! I am also on the spectrum although being diagnosed recently, I am not incontinent.

However, I have been in diapers since my childhood and it did fulfill my sensory needs to an extent, but it worked effectively to accommodate my demands. I can't say for all autistic people because we all have different severities of autism and conditions that make us diaper users, however, something about the texture of diapers, and how comforting they can become make them a great product for us to use.

For me, the sensation of the diaper's texture and how tight it wraps around my body, especially if it is wet, makes them a great thing to wear. It also makes me feel grounded, stable and secured. To me, those feelings that it gives to me, are far more important and effective than any other coping mechanisms I was given to try out. There are just some things I can't stand, and by being in my diaper makes me feel that I'm in a safe environment to move on, to take things slowly and to work it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, Elhon and BobbiSueEllen
doublepadded said:
Aww, how supportive of you! I am also on the spectrum although being diagnosed recently, I am not incontinent.

However, I have been in diapers since my childhood and it did fulfill my sensory needs to an extent, but it worked effectively to accommodate my demands. I can't say for all autistic people because we all have different severities of autism and conditions that make us diaper users, however, something about the texture of diapers, and how comforting they can become make them a great product for us to use.

For me, the sensation of the diaper's texture and how tight it wraps around my body, especially if it is wet, makes them a great thing to wear. It also makes me feel grounded, stable and secured. To me, those feelings that it gives to me, are far more important and effective than any other coping mechanisms I was given to try out. There are just some things I can't stand, and by being in my diaper makes me feel that I'm in a safe environment to move on, to take things slowly and to work it out.
I'd like to think so. I mean I was clearly curious, I have never thought about this. I had heard of it but only directly tied to sex, it is not that for me. I have done it a few more times and it is just strangely comforting. This is hardly my first non-conformist action. But yeah grounding and security, I think this is why my furry friends feel, it is strange but I mean... so was moving into an antiracist commune and I did that for about three years.

Reactions: Diprs2, doublepadded and BobbiSueEllen
Normax said:
I'd like to think so. I mean I was clearly curious, I have never thought about this. I had heard of it but only directly tied to sex, it is not that for me. I have done it a few more times and it is just strangely comforting.
It's case by case per person, but that's my coping strategy. You are right about having those sensations in connection tied to sex - its pretty common for people outside of our perspective to assume that. It's also hard for us to explain it, especially when we're unintentionally trying to strafe out of the sexuality topic.

What do you see or feel from your perspective?

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Diapers are not even sexual for an Autistic like me.

I'm definitely autistic, though I refuse to be diagnosed because of the enormous drawbacks in the states and lack of resources as an adult.

I was never treated that way as a child - it was the 90s and AFAB kids weren't ever diagnosed. But oh my word did the signs point to that - even more so as an adult.

Art and drawing started early - I'd hyperfixate on characters for years at a time - (Sonic, Pokémon, Barney, TLK, Naruto, Avengers as I got older.) Photos of me had my stuffed animals constantly lined up or in a circle as I "played" with them that way.

My diaper fixation started when I was 5ish - sneaking plastic-backed Luvs home from my sister's little brother, trying in vain to put them on, and keeping them on my stuffies instead as I "babied" them.

Was gifted in reading, writing, and art, and always struggled with math of any kind - I have the mental capability of a 9-year-old in that subject. Always struggled through high school and college with any math.

Had a handful of close friends growing up that were as eccentric as me. I feel much closer to animals emotionally than many people. High school was surprisingly fun and I had a great social life - diaper wearing included! It was college that was isolated as I became infatuated with a boy that was constantly on-and-off with what he wanted from me. I was used and manipulated and it did a number on my mental health.

Now as an adult, I've got tons of aligned issues - I am super picky with food, get overstimulated easily, have a huge ABDL kink among other niche interests, am trans and queer, developed minor incontinence, still deeply hyperfixated (Detroit: Become Human) and would rather wear comfy clothes than appear super stylish. I struggle with income and work - though I do work, I find it deeply mentally draining.

I find it fascinating that many people with interests in the ABDL world are on the spectrum too. It's a wonderful coping mechanism - sexual or not, that brings us comfort and a way to connect with others like us 🤗

Last edited:
Reactions: Sidewinder and BobbiSueEllen
JulestheFloof said:
Was gifted in reading, writing, and art, and always struggled with math of any kind - I have the mental capability of a 9-year-old in that subject. Always struggled through high school and college with any math.
This is the DIRECT opposite of me! I struggle understanding unwritten "meanings" in literature (though my reading & comprehension skills in technical matters remains well above average) ...... I mean, HOW THE HELL people "see" unwritten/hidden meanings in literature or songs makes ZERO sense to me. I remember studying Shakespeare in HS and damn I suffered! If not for a teacher who continually tried to beat those fucking meanings down my throat despite me really "not giving a shit" (even a little) and I can't "see" the same things she saw (I DO appreciate what she did, just not the subject matter!) as I see a bunch of OLDE ENGLISH words on a page that are gibberish! Then again, I EXCELLED in every advanced math & science I ever took, through college, as numbers are "mechanical" and for some reason I CAN SEE THEM (along with music, science, history) in my head, eyes closed, without trying.

I know we're all wired differently. Same way I can see numbers I can see music even though I am musically illiterate. I excelled as a lyricist/vocalist with impeccable timing and a "driving" lyrical sense even though I can't carry a note to save my life. Thank god "power" vocalists sound good with heavy music. I can't tell you how many times I struggled diagnosing a problem on a car or machine yet would wake up at 3:30 am out of a dead sleep and KNOW EXACTLY WTF the problem was and when this happened, I was not wrong once. I don't understand HOW though, but gave up caring, so long as my "visions" proved accurate.

CptKirk

Last edited:
CptKirk said:
This is the DIRECT opposite of me! I struggle understanding unwritten "meanings" in literature (though my reading & comprehension skills in technical matters remains well above average) ...... I mean, HOW THE HELL people "see" unwritten/hidden meanings in literature or songs makes ZERO sense to me.
Bingo. 'Hidden messages', 'implications', 'reading between the lines' or 'getting the hint' has never been easy for us with autism. It took me years, decades to begin to understand that concept. And Muggles love to talk like that, seem to think it boosts their 'cred' or IQ. No...it doesn't. It just wastes a lot of hot air and time. It's show-off shit and they know it. But any advantage they can get and weaponize, I guess...

• Love
Reactions: CptKirk
I was diagnosed with autism as an adult fairly recently (April 2022). I have since wondered if that had anything to do with why I’m a DL.

grst said:
I was diagnosed with autism as an adult fairly recently (April 2022). I have since wondered if that had anything to do with why I’m a DL.
A lot of us here have autism. But we the active bunch of AB/DL make up a small percentage of the whole community. It'd be interesting to learn, for sure.

Reactions: MikeRotch and grst
About 25 years ago a friend sent me an article on Borderline Personality Disorders. The first thing they said was not to self diagnose yourself because most of us have these traits to a minor degree and they aren’t a problem. Get a disinterested professional to analyze you properly. Not family members or friends.

BobbiSueEllen said:
Same here! 🥳🥰🧸🍼
me 3. love em, need em, use em, Diapers. Oh i can imagine someday seeing abdl ads normally on yt, on tv & browning the web it'll make me feel happy to have this community be more understood

BobbiSueEllen said:
Bingo. 'Hidden messages', 'implications', 'reading between the lines' or 'getting the hint' has never been easy for us with autism. It took me years, decades to begin to understand that concept. And Muggles love to talk like that, seem to think it boosts their 'cred' or IQ. No...it doesn't. It just wastes a lot of hot air and time. It's show-off shit and they know it. But any advantage they can get and weaponize, I guess...
NT's weaponize language.
Being Autistic, I do not.

BobbiSueEllen said:
love how you called em muggles, nice hary poter refrance :3 and yea i struggle with that stuff too

i am autistic myself and was potty trained late most kids and still couldn't fully control my bladder as got older

caitianx said:
NT's weaponize language.
Being Autistic, I do not.
NT's?????

Back