PaSS

Hi *looks down shyly*
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Carer
I am contemplating making an arduino project that uses a long tube water pump and bowl or bottle of water.

Basically I set a 2 hour delay giving me plenty of time to sleep after that I have it pump water into my diaper in intervals over certain times.

I am thinking this will work but wont know till I give it a try. What do you guys think and what would you add to it?

• Love
Reactions: FrankenBriefs and eastcoastdl
Seems very complicated for a potential mess in bed.

rennecfox said:
Seems very complicated for a potential mess in bed.
I'm less worried about leaking because of the fact thats to be expected. Plus I have a plastic sheet. So I'm not super worried about that. Also what may sound complicated to you may not be to others. To program the arduino took me like 5 minutes.

You asked for an opinion, I gave mine... just saying.

Reactions: Paddy2020 and BabyMargaret
rennecfox said:
You asked for an opinion, I gave mine... just saying.

No worries. I wasnt attacking you. Or didnt mean to.

I greatly appreciate your input!

You'll want to add a heater to warm the water to body temp. Having room temp water hit your diaper while you're asleep could be enough to wake you up.

Reactions: dous, Deleted member 9978 and rennecfox
Slomo said:
You'll want to add a heater to warm the water to body temp. Having room temp water hit your diaper while you're asleep could be enough to wake you up.
You know what I actually did not think about that. I will do some searching!

PaSS said:
I am contemplating making an arduino project that uses a long tube water pump and bowl or bottle of water.

Basically I set a 2 hour delay giving me plenty of time to sleep after that I have it pump water into my diaper in intervals over certain times.

I am thinking this will work but wont know till I give it a try. What do you guys think and what would you add to it?
As somebody who's pretty much a professional Arduino tinkerer, I can only think to say: Wow! What a totally awesome idea!! I'm going to have to cogitate over this one myself. I've done plenty of motor control and sensor applications, but never anything with valves, pumps, or fluids.

I think the design problem is less about electronics and whatnot, though, and more about keeping the thing small/unobtrusive so that it doesn't detract from the experience. You probably wouldn't want it to be like hooking up to a CPAP machine or something!

Last edited:
Cottontail said:
As somebody who's pretty much a professional Arduino tinkerer, I can only think to say: Wow! What a totally awesome idea!! I'm going to have to cogitate over this one myself. I've done plenty of motor control and sensor applications, but never anything with valves, pumps, or fluids.

I think the design problem is less about electronics and whatnot, though, and more about keeping the thing small/unobtrusive so that it doesn't detract from the experience. You probably wouldn't want it to be like hooking up to a CPAP machine or something!

Currently that is basically the way its gonna be. But I am thinking down the road I can condense all of it and make it smaller. Before that though I will need to find a smaller pump and water containing device.

The current setup will be on my night stand witha fairly long tube. But I'm sure I can make it smaller and something I can actually attack to the diaper its self and wear like a fanny pack haha. But overall it should be a ton of fun once I'm done!

PaSS said:
Currently that is basically the way its gonna be. But I am thinking down the road I can condense all of it and make it smaller. Before that though I will need to find a smaller pump and water containing device.

The current setup will be on my night stand witha fairly long tube. But I'm sure I can make it smaller and something I can actually attack to the diaper its self and wear like a fanny pack haha. But overall it should be a ton of fun once I'm done!
Yeah, totally. I look forward to hearing how it goes. The CPAP approach would be a challenge for me, in large part due to the fact that I'm a twisty, turny sleeper. I'd pull the whole contraption off my nightstand and wake up to a crash! :)

I'll keep thinking on this also, as it does sound like a fun--if rather nerdy--way to wet a diaper. But then we're all diaper-nerds.

Cottontail said:
Yeah, totally. I look forward to hearing how it goes. The CPAP approach would be a challenge for me, in large part due to the fact that I'm a twisty, turny sleeper. I'd pull the whole contraption off my nightstand and wake up to a crash! :)

I'll keep thinking on this also, as it does sound like a fun--if rather nerdy--way to wet a diaper. But then we're all diaper-nerds.

I think the most difficult part of all this is finding a place to store the water or liquid pumped into your diaper. As well as a way to keep it at a stedy tempature. Althought i should mention that I found a tempature sensor and heater that are cheap so just finding a way to keep the liquid heated is the only thing.

You could always use a catheter bag. As they are used to store liquid. From there you can pump it out and have all the electronics stored in your crotch area and a battery pack in your pocket.

Here is the pump you could use

This sounds like an AWESOME project that I’d love to get tinkering with on my own as well... except that I wet the bed nearly nightly anyway. :LOL:

The easiest method of storage and temperature control I can think of is an aquarium and aquarium heaters. Here, you can safely store an amount of circulating water at a temperature you determine. Of course, I'd start with a clean tank, pump, and heaters. Most preferably brand new and never used for aquatic life.

I am going to assume that you don't twist and turn a lot when you sleep?

This would not work for me as I am a restless sleeper so I would expect that the tube would either come loose or kinked during the night.

TLDR; eh, seems overkill and obtrusive. If you want to simulate bed wetting, just use a drip feed.

Hahaha. As an engineer, I am laughing my ass off. This is absurd but at the same time I can't help but like the idea. :D

Some notes. Using a pump is overkill. I recommend a elevated inverted bottle with surgical tubing going into a cheapo double action pneumatic solenoid. You can place a the bottle on a variable hotplate, also tends to be cheap. And there's plenty of ways to control outlet velocity of the fluid cheaply.

Mechanically, there is several considerations when purchasing a pump, which includes variable load and pump speed (potential energy calculations inlet + outlet elevation), large continuous power input (battery + powe), and NOISE NOISE NOISE. You'll probably wake yourself up with the pump noise. Using a elevated inverted bottle and pneumatic solenoid is kinda the way to go. Elevated IV bags esentialy do the same thing, but without the pump.

Heck, can probably just use an elevated bag with drip feed.

I entertained the notion, and now I going to advise against doing anything that I have said. Mostly safety issues.

Finding materials to play nicely with your skin over long periods of time is difficult, escpially in 'extreme conditions' of a soiled diaper. This is a problem that prosthetic/biomedical engineers have to deal with all the time.

This has high potential to reduce the quality of your sleep and induce toss/turning. Tubes themselves are problematic devices (kinking, wraping, irritation, ect).

Lastly, working with devices that do a work (pump) can have dangerous failures, even if they're small cheap units. E.g. Pump -> surgical tube kinks -> water backups -> pump overloads(most don't have safety features built in) -> pump smokes and/or catches on fire.

So yea, this sounds obtrusive and overkill.

Last edited:
Eplus013 said:
TLDR; eh, seems overkill and obtrusive. If you want to simulate bed wetting, just use a drip feed.

Hahaha. As an engineer, I am laughing my ass off. This is absurd but at the same time I can't help but like the idea. :D

Some notes. Using a pump is overkill. I recommend a elevated inverted bottle with surgical tubing going into a cheapo double action pneumatic solenoid. You can place a the bottle on a variable hotplate, also tends to be cheap. And there's plenty of ways to control outlet velocity of the fluid cheaply.

Mechanically, there is several considerations when purchasing a pump, which includes variable load and pump speed (potential energy calculations inlet + outlet elevation), large continuous power input (battery + powe), and NOISE NOISE NOISE. You'll probably wake yourself up with the pump noise. Using a elevated inverted bottle and pneumatic solenoid is kinda the way to go. Elevated IV bags esentialy do the same thing, but without the pump.

Heck, can probably just use an elevated bag with drip feed.

I entertained the notion, and now I going to advise against doing anything that I have said. Mostly safety issues.

Finding materials to play nicely with your skin over long periods of time is difficult, escpially in 'extreme conditions' of a soiled diaper. This is a problem that prosthetic/biomedical engineers have to deal with all the time.

This has high potential to reduce the quality of your sleep and induce toss/turning. Tubes themselves are problematic devices (kinking, wraping, irritation, ect).

Lastly, working with devices that do a work (pump) can have dangerous failures, even if they're small cheap units. E.g. Pump -> surgical tube kinks -> water backups -> pump overloads(most don't have safety features built in) -> pump smokes and/or catches on fire.

So yea, this sounds obtrusive and overkill.

As for how I sleep. I do turn and what not but never onto my belly. So its a very limited movement. Also I plan on having a fairly long silicone tube. My body has no issue with silicone.

As for hardware failure. If it happens it happens. I'll be safe about it.

As for the quality of sleep. I'm not 100% sure if I will sleep through it auto wetting. If I do I do. If I dont I don't. I am going into this as if I'm not going to sleep and will only do it on nights where its not required to sleep per say.

The noise I doubr will bother me. I fall asleep and stay asleep with my tv being loud.

I am using a pump for more control. Plus its really cheap.

Llayden said:
The easiest method of storage and temperature control I can think of is an aquarium and aquarium heaters. Here, you can safely store an amount of circulating water at a temperature you determine. Of course, I'd start with a clean tank, pump, and heaters. Most preferably brand new and never used for aquatic life.

The aquarium heater is actually a decent idea and likely cheaper haha

Reactions: FrankenBriefs
I don't have to simulate wetting or messing the bed because I frequently get the real thing in my sleep due to my bladder and bowel incontinence. Lately, I wake up wet everyday and messy 3 or 4 times per week. On the days that I don't mess myself while sleeping, I very rarely make it from my bedroom to the bathroom without messing my diaper on the way.

Tundra1975 said:
I don't have to simulate wetting or messing the bed because I frequently get the real thing in my sleep due to my bladder and bowel incontinence. Lately, I wake up wet everyday and messy 3 or 4 times per week. On the days that I don't mess myself while sleeping, I very rarely make it from my bedroom to the bathroom without messing my diaper on the way.

Yea. That tends to be a thing on this community haha. But when you have diapers its fair to expect a large amount to need them and not just want them!

I've considered doing that myself, though I' never got around to it. I did fin a few pumps though. It's hard to find one with the right flow rate. Medial type pumps (that roll over tubing) are very precise but slow Most other pumps are much higher volume. Here are a few things I was thinking about:

- pay attention to the need to prime the hose (most pumps can't hold water in a raised line when not running)
- pay attention to pump priming. many pumps are NOT self-priming
- consider that the liquid it pumps will probably be room-temperature (and feel COLD) - I was looking into a way of heating it in the line
- you will need a way to run the line away fro your diaper in a way that doesn't interfere with you as you move in your sleep
- any motor is going to require more power than a digital pin on an arduino can drive, you will probably be using an IRF510 or similar
- pumps can be quite loud when running at night

Now that I've gotten very used to wetting my diaper several times a night, this has mostly fallen off my to-do-list

I also considered doing this, except building on it a little to be an overall potty training simulation. I thought about building it into a camelback so you could wear it around the house and having the Arduino set to dispense at semi random intervals. If you wanted to make it even more complicated you could add some kind of haptic feedback as a warning system.

Back