Simulating bedwetting

djwiktor said:
I think 20W should be fine for 5liter tank. I used 50W, because I had it at home :) make sure you do the mathematic calculation before. You know- energy, heat transfer and so on.

haha... I don't think my diaper would be fine for a 5 liter tank!

PaSS said:
I am contemplating making an arduino project that uses a long tube water pump and bowl or bottle of water.

Basically I set a 2 hour delay giving me plenty of time to sleep after that I have it pump water into my diaper in intervals over certain times.

I am thinking this will work but wont know till I give it a try. What do you guys think and what would you add to it?
Go to an aquarium store/online and look for shrimp drip acclimatiors. They are a small I-V type tube that are meant for acclimating shrimp to new water. They are gravity powered and usually have a wheel on the dripper to control flow. Get a gallon of warm water, drop the tube in your desired location and set your flow rate. As long as the water is higher than the end of the tube; you will have flow without pumps or other things that can cause a fire or a flood. Worst thing that can happen is you pull the tube too hard and knock over the water. I have done this many times and you can set the flow to a point where your nappy will be able to swell without leaking. Plus you can get one for less than 15 bucks. If you need; I can post a link to one, but if you search "drip acclimator" you should be able to find what I'm talking about. Good luck.

Any update on the project?

diaperedgeek said:
Any update on the project?
This is still running as an idea as I have been very poor recently. It will happen though. I just have other purchases that happen first. Likely this summer.

T00LIX said:
Go to an aquarium store/online and look for shrimp drip acclimatiors. They are a small I-V type tube that are meant for acclimating shrimp to new water. They are gravity powered and usually have a wheel on the dripper to control flow. Get a gallon of warm water, drop the tube in your desired location and set your flow rate. As long as the water is higher than the end of the tube; you will have flow without pumps or other things that can cause a fire or a flood. Worst thing that can happen is you pull the tube too hard and knock over the water. I have done this many times and you can set the flow to a point where your nappy will be able to swell without leaking. Plus you can get one for less than 15 bucks. If you need; I can post a link to one, but if you search "drip acclimator" you should be able to find what I'm talking about. Good luck.

Yea I would be interested in a link if you would like to supply one

its wil sim ulate but to become a real bedwetter you need to untrain yore bladder every single night

icklespace said:
its wil sim ulate but to become a real bedwetter you need to untrain yore bladder every single night

I have no plans of actually becoming a bed wetter...

This sounds like a good idea for someone who wasn't already incontinent like I am. One thing I might add is to put a tube in back of the diaper, that part rarely soaks any fluid, then you could have both the front and the back all soaked and cozy.

NW47guy said:
This sounds like a good idea for someone who wasn't already incontinent like I am. One thing I might add is to put a tube in back of the diaper, that part rarely soaks any fluid, then you could have both the front and the back all soaked and cozy.
Yea I am not sure how I plan to run the tube atm. But I do enjoy the back of my diapee being wet!

Reactions: NW47guy
Very cool idea! Would be fun to try the acclimator every now and then, wouldn't want to become bed wetter

JWolf said:
Very cool idea! Would be fun to try the acclimator every now and then, wouldn't want to become bed wetter

I am now on summer break so I may put some money into this idea. Sadly I have a verylimited amount of diapers till I get money for my next school term

Hi, i really liked the approach of "logancody16" with the Arduino project and use of a Solenoid.
unfortunately that user is not an active member anymore, i would liked to build also such project.
I'm a beginner and real Novice regarding Arduino, but i think this is a great project to build some skills and experiences in programming. I already order the Arduino and several parts like RelayModule and a Solenoid to be controlled by that RelayModule. Also liked the LCD to be able to see/program 1) set the probably that you will wake up wet, and 2) set how long you will be sleeping for that "logancody16" mentioned.

Anyone have done these projects?
I would like to revive this idea and experiment some with it.

johnzld said:
Hi, i really liked the approach of "logancody16" with the Arduino project and use of a Solenoid.
unfortunately that user is not an active member anymore, i would liked to build also such project.
I'm a beginner and real Novice regarding Arduino, but i think this is a great project to build some skills and experiences in programming. I already order the Arduino and several parts like RelayModule and a Solenoid to be controlled by that RelayModule. Also liked the LCD to be able to see/program 1) set the probably that you will wake up wet, and 2) set how long you will be sleeping for that "logancody16" mentioned.

Anyone have done these projects?
I would like to revive this idea and experiment some with it.
I really really should get back to this idea at some point.

The idea of gravity fed is smart as pumps can be noisy. As well as the addition for a heater is genius.

Maybe one of these days i will actually build this.

If I were to make any real changes. I would make it so it would dribble. Or something simular. This was the diaper would hold up for longer periods.

Also I would run the tubing up the back toward the front right near the bas of a man. This way it would get the most of a diaper with out leaking.

Last edited:
PaSS said:

The idea of gravity fed is smart as pumps can be noisy. As well as the addition for a heater is genius.

If I were to make any real changes. I would make it so it would dribble. Or something simular. This was the diaper would hold up for longer periods.

Also I would run the tubing up the back toward the front right near the bas of a man. This way it would get the most of a diaper with out leaking.

a lot of people sleep on their backs (and that's arguably the "safest" position to avoid leaks), so I would suggest running the tube in from the side, firmly attach to the diaper on the front, and then loop the line over the front waist and down in. (maybe feed the line in UNDER the top sheet and some of the padding?) End the line at the front of the crotch, about where urine would be getting introduced "naturally"?

PaSS said:

Yes, it would be great to build en share knowledge/experience to get eventionally the perfect setup.
Dribble or multiple "small spurts" so it will not be a "waterfall" that overload the diaper in short time but over time get it saturated by the time it is time to wake-up or get out of bed.

bambinod said:
a lot of people sleep on their backs (and that's arguably the "safest" position to avoid leaks), so I would suggest running the tube in from the side, firmly attach to the diaper on the front, and then loop the line over the front waist and down in. (maybe feed the line in UNDER the top sheet and some of the padding?) End the line at the front of the crotch, about where urine would be getting introduced "naturally"?
This would be a very good setup for the tubing.

Hi great people, i have recieved the Arduino and several parts like RelayModule and a Solenoid to be controlled by that RelayModule, LCD module.
I need some help with the programming:
"bambinod already posted: feel free to upload the sketch"

I want to build the program with these features:
-using an lcd shield and coded a simple interface to be able to do two things:
1) set the probably that you will wake up wet, and
2) set how long you will be sleeping for.
With these two parameters set, the code then picks a random time when you will be sleeping (waiting at least an hour) and, based on the probability, will actuate the solenoid or not.
-In order to avoid flooding/leaks/waking up, let the solenoid actuate open/closed to slow down the flow.

Additional/nice-to-have:
(idea of bambinod)
- Able doing random wetting throughout the night, random times, random amounts

Hope we can revive this idea, and build it together joining knowledge.
All replies are welcome, or if you wish leave me a PM here on the board.
Thank you all !

Just read through this briefly. I've done a ton of arduino/esp32 projects. This sounds like something I could possibly help with. I love tinkering in general.

I can do the electronics side and although I have no formal training in code I know enough to be dangerous.

Let me know if I can contribute. I could possible do prototype testing. I have a good selection of parts. 😜

BTW I have a fair bit of experience with Nextion graphic displays. I recently built this. It's an automated inflation device for an anxiety vest.

Attachments

• IMG_01032021_153825_(1080_x_1440_pixel).jpg
    IMG_01032021_153825_(1080_x_1440_pixel).jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_01032021_153746_(1080_x_1440_pixel).jpg
    IMG_01032021_153746_(1080_x_1440_pixel).jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Finally got home and ran the idea through my head a bit. Plenty of great ideas so far. I'm NOT an engineer and am mostly self taught.

As mentioned in the post the device itself should be as "unobtrusive" as possible. The most reliable and quiet device would be a gravity drip but would lack many features including on/off times and/or adjustable flow rates and temperature control.

I imagine something a little more "portable". A control interface would be important. The ability to adjust times, flow rates, and temperature. I imagine the liquid would come from something readily available. Something like a 1 or 2 liter bottle. This would give a known amount of water that's easy visualize. A 3d printed top could act as a connection point and also a one way air valve to allow the liquid to flow without creating a vacuum. The device should be relatively small however if temperature control is required I doubt it could be battery powered (but testing would be needed). The polyimide heaters would be cool but I was thinking of an "on demand" system. Something like a 3d printer heating element coupled to a small heat exchanger where the water would flow through it. This way the heater would only come on while the water was flowing. If the flow required is low enough I believe this could be doable and good temp control is needed so no cold water makes it down the lines (preheat cycle before flowing stuff like that). Two temp sensors, one on the heat exchanger for PID control of the element and another on the output flow to monitor water temps. As far as noise is concerned some experimentation would need to be done. With an encapsulated pump and good PWM control the noise "could" be very minimal. A peristaltic pump would be ideal but many of the small ones on Amazon max out at 100ml(3.3oz)/min. I have no idea if that's enough having never tried this before. A small normal liquid pump would probably work but testing would need to be done to find a "quiet" solution.

The business end has some interesting challenges. How would you keep the tubing attached to the person. Very small diameter silicon tubing is probably the best although if it's to flexible the flow might be cut off. Maybe small diameter PVC tubing. And what does the diaper end look like? Maybe a simple capped tubing with small outlet holes. Maybe even a small bulb or flat membrane so liquid could be directed inside the diaper? The diaper end would need to be comfortable and possibly attached to the outside with adhesive tape or something. I wonder if the diaper end would need to be easily detachable and disposable for sanitary reasons. And there should be ample length as to not pull things off the table/night stand during the night!

Of course precautions would need to be taken with heating the water. Simple over temp shutoff code could be easily implemented. And with a small flow meter you could measure the amount of liquid flowing into the diaper. You could go without and just use low PWM pump settings and test the flow. But the flow meter would give you a sensor to check for kinked line or an empty reservoir and stop pumping. Of course this wouldn't stop a leaking diaper but that's par for the course. 😜

LOL I realize this would be way overkill and over engineered for something so esoteric and with a very limited audience, but it would be a fun challenge to make it.

If you could figure out how to initially keep an ice cube from being felt in a diaper, it melting would wet the diaper, but might end up being too cold once the water hits the diaper. Though I wonder if you put ice in something that is then put into the diaper, maybe enough ice melts goes into a hole that then drips into the diaper.

Back