Windows 10 users: is anyone else holding out on upgrading to 11?

All of my computers are running 10 and are old enough that upgrading to 11 is not an option.

Chimera said:
I can relate to what you are saying, because I do prefer 10's interface. In an effort to make Windows more tablet/touchscreen friendly, they are kind of making it worse for those of us who still use traditional mouse and keyboard. They're also changing things around that don't need changing, like the control panel. I also really liked Windows 7. As a millennial born in '91, I believe it was the best Windows OS ever made. I think they hit the nail right on the head on interface. A lot of people my age look back fondly on Windows XP, but I often think they forget how buggy XP was before Service Pack 1 came out. I've had experience in pretty much all Windows operating systems from Windows 95 to now, except for Windows 8, which was basically a useless Windows since 10 came out not too long after ("The last version of Windows" haha, very funny Microsoft) Like I said in my original post, I will probably stick with Windows 10 for another year or so, since we will continue to receive security patches until October 2025, there really is no rush. That's 2 and a half years away...and who knows? If Windows 11 doesn't gain enough market share by then, Microsoft might decide to support Windows 10 for longer, but I certainly won't count on that happening.

Complete loss of data? really? That is very concerning for sure. I figured data was always easily recoverable, whether it is legacy or UEFI bios... unless you use bitlocker and don't save your encryption key...then yeah, you're definitely SOL.
I also hope they extend support like they did with XP. I also prefer the old control panel to settings. I don't remember using XP before like SP1, so I always remember it working great. XP and 7 will always be my favorite versions, despite me being 10 years younger than you. As for the other versions I've used (newer than XP), I thought Vista was slow, 8 had a dumb interface, 10 was alright, and 11 feels like it just makes the interface more cumbersome (like how you can't have the start menu open directly to all programs and removing the task manager shortcut from the taskbar for the first year).

Chimera said:
I can relate to what you are saying, because I do prefer 10's interface. In an effort to make Windows more tablet/touchscreen friendly, they are kind of making it worse for those of us who still use traditional mouse and keyboard. They're also changing things around that don't need changing, like the control panel. I also really liked Windows 7. As a millennial born in '91, I believe it was the best Windows OS ever made. I think they hit the nail right on the head on interface. A lot of people my age look back fondly on Windows XP, but I often think they forget how buggy XP was before Service Pack 1 came out. I've had experience in pretty much all Windows operating systems from Windows 95 to now, except for Windows 8, which was basically a useless Windows since 10 came out not too long after ("The last version of Windows" haha, very funny Microsoft) Like I said in my original post, I will probably stick with Windows 10 for another year or so, since we will continue to receive security patches until October 2025, there really is no rush. That's 2 and a half years away...and who knows? If Windows 11 doesn't gain enough market share by then, Microsoft might decide to support Windows 10 for longer, but I certainly won't count on that happening.

Complete loss of data? really? That is very concerning for sure. I figured data was always easily recoverable, whether it is legacy or UEFI bios... unless you use bitlocker and don't save your encryption key...then yeah, you're definitely SOL.
This is a major issue for the person who is stuck trying to recover that data. The other problem is that the requirements from Microsoft state TPM and the os be written to the drive in UEFi. That part is what kills most data recovery operations, this is why it is so important to back-up your own data. I pull back-ups from my main computer every night before shut down. Not to mention I have back-ups of all the important data in cold storage ( i.e. drive are not in a computer and do not get turned on unless something happens to my live back-up ).

I'm staying with Windows 10, they took "never combine" feature away. I know they're putting in back in autumn, but until then, it's a big NO.

I have a modern MB that supports TPM but I hate the concept of being forced to use it.

If I'm forced to upgrade to Windows 11 then I'll probably at least dualboot some kind of desktop Linux and see how that works for me.

I have Windows 10 on my main desktop computer and Windows 11 on my laptop, the latter which I’ve never used very often because it’s cheap and a bit slow with only 4GB RAM. Windows 10 just seems far better on games and programs than 11, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I do have a windows 10 and 11 I think there good in theory and on paper, in execution its way off which is what annoys me about microsoft the last number of years. I have had some bugs but there not super bad. I must be lucky or something with 11/10. I hate the forced tpm and secure boot crap I understand why but for home users it shouldn't be forced

Last edited:
I hope you all like AI.... because It's being integrated into Win11. Personally, I have mixed feelings about AI (and I never use windows anyway). I love some stuff about AI, and I hate some stuff about it. But I'm not trying to start a debate over it. that's not my point. If you hate it, you'll have to find a way to shut it off, switch to Linux, or buy a Mac.

Last edited:
I hate Microsoft for os and they set it up to spy on you . I don't trust Gates. All we need is a good os and drop micro soft .Soft wear people need to switch to a new os .
It's time

Last edited:
GabeG30 said:
for me I recently rebuilt my computer but I think I'm still using a older CPU architecture I am using LGA 1151 anyway I did the windows 11 install just to get it over and done, However I really don't like microsoft anymore because all the junk apps they put in with a clean install and all the cloud shit ( sorry for my language) becasue in a business nobody will ever touch those built in apps so what is the point even from a home user standpoint. like me I don't do heavy stuff on my computer I just do email internet movies that's it. I think that with all the bad stuff people are saying about windows 10 and 11 they should just go back to 7 and xp you can do all the stuff that i mentioned above before all the cloud stuff. and when windows 10 and 11 act up there is no way to tell why. sorry for the rant but that is how i feel if I could I would like to switch to mac.
Microsoft hasn’t made any operating system worth upgrading to since XP Pro and 7 Pro. But if you want a system that’s still supported by your peripherals suppliers drivers. I’ve got a Brother color laser printer/scanner/copier that can be a pain to get set up and it gets worse with each Windows generation since it worked without a problem with Windows 7 Pro and I believe I had it setup in XP prior to that and that also was without missing a beat. I still believe that the reason MS started out giving Windows 10 upgrade away free was due to their commercial customer’s demand that they do something to regain consumer trust after their Windows 8 and 8.1 fiasco. I’ve got friends that fled to Apple forever after those 2 failures.

Last edited:
Zeke said:
Microsoft hasn’t made any operating system worth upgrading to since XP Pro and 7 Pro. But if you want a system that’s still supported by your peripherals suppliers drivers. I’ve got a Brother color laser printer/scanner/copier that can be a pain to get set up and it gets worse with each Windows generation since it worked without a problem with Windows 7 Pro and I believe I had it setup in XP prior to that and that also was without missing a beat. I still believe that the reason MS started out giving Windows 10 upgrade away free was due to their commercial customer’s demand that they do something to regain consumer trust after their Windows 8 and 8.1 fiasco. I’ve got friends that fled to Apple forever after those 2 failures.
I see yeah I had a canon printer that worked in XP and 7 I believe I set it up on xp as well but unfortunately had to give it away because it bricked it self because it would no longer connect to my computer anymore no matter what I did. and yeah windows 8 was garbage. what are your views on windows 10/11 besides your brother printer also if you still have that printer does it still work today? I look forward to your reply thanks.

Last edited:
GabeG30 said:
I see yeah I had a canon printer that worked in XP and 7 I believe I set it up on xp as well but unfortunately had to give it away because it bricked it self because it would no longer connect to my computer anymore no matter what I did. and yeah windows 8 was garbage. what are your views on windows 10/11 besides your brother printer also if you still have that printer does it still work today? I look forward to your reply thanks.
I haven’t felt the need to upgrade to Windows 11 so I haven’t had any experience with it yet, but after I did manage to get my printer to work with Windows 10. Windows 10 did help to calm the resentment towards MS for releasing Windows 8, and its doomed partner, Windows 8.1, on the consumer so it performed its duty, but I still prefer 7 or XP. After using iPhones without even the slightest problem for the past 7 plus years I’m beginning to believe that those friends who fled to Apple after Windows 8 may have made the right decision in abandoning MS.

Zeke said:
I haven’t felt the need to upgrade to Windows 11 so I haven’t had any experience with it yet, but after I did manage to get my printer to work with Windows 10. Windows 10 did help to calm the resentment towards MS for releasing Windows 8, and its doomed partner, Windows 8.1, on the consumer so it performed its duty, but I still prefer 7 or XP. After using iPhones without even the slightest problem for the past 7 plus years I’m beginning to believe that those friends who fled to Apple after Windows 8 may have made the right decision in abandoning MS.
yeah that is how I feel too I want a mac too but it's too expensive.

I'm still using Windows 10. I'm afraid Windows 11 might break my iTunes for Windows, and I still use my iPod Nano

You can actually trick the Windows 11 upgrade tool into letting you pass but I don't know if explaining that is OK on this site. This is my upgrade strategy. I image my hard drives before doing anything big and my files backup to my NAS anyways so I don't loose anything. I have my fake computer for work emails and posting online about how much I love being normal. The rest of what I do is encrypted and I can just swap hard drives as needed. Most of what I do is threw Linux but I do use Windows for gaming.

Back