Why not use an extra harness or a carseat?

Bigbabybret

It said to place avatar here!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
  4. Other
So, on a slightly different note.

Why would you NOT use an extra seatbelt/harness/carseat?

Yes I know the "People will teast me" issue, but what other reasons?

Also how to get past the whole people will make fun of these? Why can not something that may make things safer and/or fun be just normal like wearing a seatbelt or a helmet on a motorcycle, remember seatbelts and helmets were at one time also looked at the same way as a harness is today IMHO.

Afterall you can just get an ez-on harness from amazon today, multiple sizes and also types readily stocked, and if want/need custom sizes or something non stock you can get from ez-on themself or an affiliate.

Any no this is not an affiliate link for me or in any way gettin any money from this. I simply found these now available in stock sizes for relatively cheap compared to the 1000's for most other options i've seen.

For some strange reason it's ileagle in most states to have a 5 point "racing" seat belt in a car

robertabdl74 said:
For some strange reason it's ileagle in most states to have a 5 point "racing" seat belt in a car
It must be NHTSB/DOT approved/tested for use on the road.

Like a standard racing harness is NOT legal as a seat belt on the road. But there are a few that get certified, like the scroth belts i had for my M5 were certified for road use in the US.

Comes down to paperwork.

But things like the ez-on is NHTSB approved so that is legal as is the special needs seats and alike for the cars.

Yes you cant just get some belts at the local car parts store or order from ali express and use them, which is good to a point.

But there are plenty of options.

Would you use 5pt harness (being it certified)

In a car you have to use only seats (security belts) with correspondent homologation. I'm not really sure if racing seats are authorized for use in regular traffic.

Anchor points, escape from vehicle...

robertabdl74 said:
Only if your driving not for back seat passengers .

Bigbabybret said:
So, on a slightly different note.

Why would you NOT use an extra seatbelt/harness/carseat?

Yes I know the "People will teast me" issue, but what other reasons?
I would LOVE an adult car seat, but at 6ft 6" I'd need a armchair sized equivilent D':

Iroh said:
I would LOVE an adult car seat, but at 6ft 6" I'd need a armchair sized equivilent D':
Yes, i'm now just under 6', used to be 6'2" so i get that for sure.

I do currently use the ez-on, but if there was a seat within my my budget i'd get one for sure, i can get a custom one from a couple places but the price is to start in the multi thousand dollars and even though i do have a dr script for one insurance will not cover enough to make it viable at this point, thier response is to just use my wheelchair which i dont have a van for, which they say use the ride service...anyhow which is fine for an appt, but to say go shopping or to go to a friend or alike is doable but not easy as the times the service is available and also then the ridgid scheduling is not very good either, that even causes issues when my dr appt runs over and need to reschedule a ride and then takes a long time to get picked back up and sit in the lobby forever.

But yes, i wish there was some more things legally available for people that need yet alone want something.

Reactions: Straycatz and Iroh
Iroh said:

Spirit Plus Adjustable Positioning System (APS) Car Seat​

Up to 130 pounds this is my car seat I have braces on both legs and spinal cord damage . Mommy said she paid close to 4000$ for it . I’m 117 pounds 5”2” and I fit perfectly . It’s so comfortable I often fall asleep in it on road trips . The material is made so if there’s ever a messy diaper leak it’s easily cleaned .

Attachments

• IMG_0998.jpeg
    IMG_0998.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: PaddedCub
mightytoddler said:

Up to 130 pounds this is my car seat I have braces on both legs and spinal cord damage . Mommy said she paid close to 4000$ for it . I’m 117 pounds 5”2” and I fit perfectly . It’s so comfortable I often fall asleep in it on road trips . The material is made so if there’s ever a messy diaper leak it’s easily cleaned .
I'm a bit more than 130lbs unfortunately. And $4000 😱

Looks really cool though 😊

Reactions: mightytoddler
mightytoddler said:

Yes thoes look nice, i'm too big for them myself.

But yeah, they still should NOT cost 4 Grand.

Bigbabybret said:
Yes thoes look nice, i'm too big for them myself.

But yeah, they still should NOT cost 4 Grand.
They are built to withstand a small adults weight and have pads where no other have . It’s truly easy to fall asleep like a perfect cloud . Yes they are expensive but are certified by the AMA , for extra protection in a high speed collision test 🥰

mightytoddler said:
They are built to withstand a small adults weight and have pads where no other have . It’s truly easy to fall asleep like a perfect cloud . Yes they are expensive but are certified by the AMA , for extra protection in a high speed collision test 🥰
Yes, they are certified and should be good to go.

I have the ez-on in the van which does help a lot with my issues, but some more side support would be a good thing, albeit the harness does a pretty good job on the side/side support given no sides.
I have looked into a custom seat through the dr/medical and the only real issue is money. The insurance wont cover a car seat. As i'm not driving, and also have a wheelchair (which i use when out as i cant walk and stay upright for more then a 100ft or so, but i still try to walk as much as i can, just too much and my BP will crash and/or having other issues with muscles and alike.

But, yeah, either a handicap van with a lift and higher headroom or a carseat would be the best. It sucks to be in a position to not want to even leave the house as you end up hurting too much to even remotely enjoy going out. But i've been able to do some 30/45 min car rides without much pain with the use of the harness, that has actually been great the last few months, previous year only left for dr appts, didnt so much as go food shoppig for the previous year plus, or to a friends place or alike. I have a nice home, pca's to help out and most everything i need at home, but sometimes it's nice to go someplace ohter than the doctors...

I'm glad you got a nice seat and that you fit and are comfy in it, I wish i could get something, perhaps i'll be able to scrounge up the coin to get one built one these days.

• Love
Reactions: mightytoddler
I decided to join and share my thoughts after lurking and seeing a topic I am familiar with. I myself have also been cursed with tall person genes and have experimented with options for the past few years. I am 185cm (or 6'1"-ish in imperial units) and have found two working options:

First option, that I'd love to own and have been able to try is a Hernik Kidsflex 2XL, which is a complete seat that feels the most like the real deal and it even has some extra grow room as the highest harness slots, should the little one grow a bit taller 🤭. Too bad they're super expensive and not available second hand as far as I've been able to find.
KIDSFLEX - HERNIK GmbH - The most flexible child car seat

What I was able to find (and buy used, but open box) for about $400 was a Merritt Manufacturing Churchill with the escape-proof harness. The stock crotch buckle is a bit uncomfortable so I modified it to make it adjustable. It's not a real car seat and must be used with a seatbelt. Too bad I've not found anyone to drive me around in it (if anyone located near me is up for it, we can take turns 😁) but I've sat in it plenty of times and it does bring the juvenile "being held down, not in control" feeling which I love. I'd argue even more when used with the regular seat belt so I don't see it as a con.
Churchill Car Seat - Merritt Car Seat

Unfortunately getting out of both is pretty easy when you're a capable adult. But I've designed and printed add-ons with my 3D printer for the Merritt Manufacturing buckle guard that utilizes a Segufix lock to make sure you're staying seated. I'm also designing an alternative keyhole/lock part for the chest clip guard to hopefully make it so you can't use a seat belt tongue or a zipper to unlock it but that's still a few revisions away to make it perfect. I also made some locks for the harness adjusters that let you lock the harness tensioners. Looking for a way to design something that lets you tighten the harness but not loosen them but I'm out of ideas, so the lock is the next best thing.

For me it would be about how quickly I can get out of it,in an emergency. Extra straps and clips equils more time. Also how easy is it to cut the straps if emergency services needed to remove me from a vehicle.

PassiveRenegade said:
For me it would be about how quickly I can get out of it,in an emergency. Extra straps and clips equils more time. Also how easy is it to cut the straps if emergency services needed to remove me from a vehicle.
yeah, i havent seen anything that would cause any seatbelt cutter to not work on anything, and having one of them on/in the car is a good idea anyhow, as a stuck seatbelt is not uncommon in an accident, and emt carry them, so shouldnt be an issue.

Despite the anti-open things which preclude you from opening a buckle or alike you can get yourself out, and usually not more than pushing a button on the seat to open them up.

Yes some like the not being able to get out on thier own and not having control, that is not the usual thing with the stock/regular carseats in general.

Myself doesnt bother me either way as i need help with lots of things these days and the worried about getting/asking for help has long ago went away. I need help with things from depending on the day washing up to changing to somedays not needing too much help with the small things and only walking and doing big things.

As for the getting in/out of a car i quite often need some help at least with making sure not to fall. But to need some assistance with getting the buckles or alike on/off that isnt a big deal, and i have PCA to help with that, plus i dont drive, which giving i can pass out at any time is most likely a good idea to not drive!

Taapero said:
I decided to join and share my thoughts after lurking and seeing a topic I am familiar with. I myself have also been cursed with tall person genes and have experimented with options for the past few years. I am 185cm (or 6'1"-ish in imperial units) and have found two working options:

First option, that I'd love to own and have been able to try is a Hernik Kidsflex 2XL, which is a complete seat that feels the most like the real deal and it even has some extra grow room as the highest harness slots, should the little one grow a bit taller 🤭. Too bad they're super expensive and not available second hand as far as I've been able to find.
KIDSFLEX - HERNIK GmbH - The most flexible child car seat

What I was able to find (and buy used, but open box) for about $400 was a Merritt Manufacturing Churchill with the escape-proof harness. The stock crotch buckle is a bit uncomfortable so I modified it to make it adjustable. It's not a real car seat and must be used with a seatbelt. Too bad I've not found anyone to drive me around in it (if anyone located near me is up for it, we can take turns 😁) but I've sat in it plenty of times and it does bring the juvenile "being held down, not in control" feeling which I love. I'd argue even more when used with the regular seat belt so I don't see it as a con.
Churchill Car Seat - Merritt Car Seat

Unfortunately getting out of both is pretty easy when you're a capable adult. But I've designed and printed add-ons with my 3D printer for the Merritt Manufacturing buckle guard that utilizes a Segufix lock to make sure you're staying seated. I'm also designing an alternative keyhole/lock part for the chest clip guard to hopefully make it so you can't use a seat belt tongue or a zipper to unlock it but that's still a few revisions away to make it perfect. I also made some locks for the harness adjusters that let you lock the harness tensioners. Looking for a way to design something that lets you tighten the harness but not loosen them but I'm out of ideas, so the lock is the next best thing.
Yeah, thoes are options for people that are the right size and also that are able to get them/afford them.

I'm still annoyed that they need to cost thousands of dollars for something like this. They are low volume (at this point) and the company does need to make a profit, but it seems to me that the medical "tax" is too much and needs to be brought down to a rational amount. I get that the company will only get paid less from the insurance company than retail etc...but there is no reason that a carseat needs to cost 4000 Bucks, or more.

I myslef havent gotten into the 3d printing thing much.

I'm older and still have a machine shop at home on the farm, but dont have much ability to use it anymore but a couple times a year do get out there for something or another. So i have always been more into building things with metal as opposed to plastic and wood. I have a Mill, welders, etc for steel and aluminum work and being a farm fix/fixed things here on-site all the time.

so, myself as for plastic i've used things like shapelock when needed plastic or just machine things out of a block as needed.

I dont really know about the longevity and strength of FDM at all but have a tiny bit of experiance with some prototypes in resin and powered/laser methods way way long ago.

Back