why are you afraid to tell your doctor that you will be wearing diapers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toocomplicatedfor said:
The tips shown below are for people who are not incontinent medically (AB / TB DL ...) For people who have incontinence but have never done a test it is important to talk to your doctor, incontinence that seems harmless can hide other diseases.
It's been a long time since I've been to different DL forums in different countries, and I've noticed that a worry often comes back "I'm afraid to say that to my doctor". But you know that the only thing you have to say if you do not want to have a problem is "I am incontinent" If he offers you stretching you say that you have already tested, if it is a penis case you say that you have already tested, it's not pleasant, not practical, it leaks at times if he offers you, drugs you say are not interested,and if he talks to you about surgery you say that the product currently on the market have too much risk of causing complications worse than incontinence.
I hope I could help you :)

I'm not scared.

Honestly, I’ve been forced to go to therapy before because I wore diapers, so I’m not a big fan of telling anyone that I wear, let alone a doctor. I don’t wear 24/7 to begin with, and I really don’t see a need to tell my doctor since I never wear to appointments anyway.

Reactions: SoS7883
PaddedBrony said:
Honestly, I’ve been forced to go to therapy before because I wore diapers, so I’m not a big fan of telling anyone that I wear, let alone a doctor. I don’t wear 24/7 to begin with, and I really don’t see a need to tell my doctor since I never wear to appointments anyway.

I think the therapy did not change anything, and just validate that it did not matter?

Slomo said:
... It's because general society still tells most of us that adults needing diapers is an embarrasing and shamefull thing...

That's hard truth and if that one thing could change a lot of this would be easier for everyone and anyone.

I told my doctor that my brain doesn't tell me to wake up when i have to go so i wear a diaper. She didn't say anything about it.

From a clinical point of view, non-IC use of diapers is consided a disorder. It is outside the biological natural reproductive processes or behavior for humans. I am not fond of this point of view myself but as much as a doctor wants to understand our point of view we should also keep in mind their point of view. If a doctor asks you if you want to change and help you in your choice, they might be good for you. If a doctor says they want to fix you or figure out what is wrong without asking about your needs, move on to someone else. Theapists should be helping you achieve your goals and not the goals that society expects unless there is a possibilty of a danger to self or others. ABDL alone has never been associated to violent behavior.

Reactions: trysexiea
It is not that I classify this but the general medical community. I will get back to you on some references.

I think this article from Psychology Today has the basis of what I am talking about but case studies are rare I think in part with the stigma from the ABDL point of view and the general lack of clinical interest in the topic. Are they correct from a clinical point of view? Maybe, hard to say. Does it matter to me if there is science behind this? For me, it is the understanding of the science and to understand a different point of view.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/in-excess/201310/childs-play

DanielW said:
I'm not disagreeing with you but what disorder would you classify non-ic use of a diaper as? I can't think of anything off the top of my head.
More directly to your question, I think I would be Paraphilic Infantilism. It describes a person who is aroused by paraphanalia related to babies or young juveniles. I am not about to start handing out labels here. There is a good amount of literature online. If you are interested, start surfing! 😎

Reactions: Wetbutt
DanielW said:
Yes, I suppose perhaps a negative view of the fetish angle on a heath professional's part might be an issue. I'm merely curious what some might be thinking. I have to admit though, no one has ever voiced a negative comment towards me in particular at least.
Hard questions have hard answers. It is good to ask questions. If you are happy then there is no problem but being confused about such a personal topic might bring some to see a therapist. It is a good idea to let others know what to expect. I am no therapist but I have seen enough of them to know how some work and how others fail.

I told my urologist I didn't want them to even try to correct that part anymore because I'd rather have it leaking at night than having painfull pressure buildup from severe retention. Not to mention that one time I had no feeling in my bladder for 2 days after post surgical cath I ended up having an overstretched bladder and bilaterial hernia in the abdomen from pushing too hard (it was already weak mind you) and that was enough for him to understand and never went on to it again.

If I had a medical reason for wearing them I would have no problem with the nurses or a doctor seeing me in my diaper. But if I didn’t have a good reason for wearing them and knowing that a doctor is likely to ask why I’m wearing them I would not wear to a doctor or try to keep them covered, most likely the former.

I don't tend to wear to doctor appointments anyway but even if I did, it's in my file since my psych and GP are part of the same system. Also, I've flat out told my doc before and she's like "that's weird but whatever floats your boat" and gave me advice about barrier creams and changing regularly.

I haven't had the pleasure of a doctor seeing my diaper who wasn't specifically treating my incontinence symptoms, but a lot of urologists look at diapers as the easy way out option, as if they think you've given up on life. My urologist made a grimace when he asked if I was using protection and I said yes (although I did respond in a way as to suggest "Do you expect me to wet my pants all the time?"). I'd imagine other doctors would just assume it's there for a reason (although childish prints may get a rise out of them lol).

I personally see it the other way around, diapers allow me to do whatever I want and not have to worry about my bladder!

Reactions: Deleted member 47221
My therapist saw them as a valid and non-harmful way of dealing with stress and helping me focus.

All my doctors are in the same medical group, when they look in my records they all know I'm incontinent, so theres no surprises there, I usually wear boxer briefs over my diaper.... I'm sure my GP and Pulmonologist have seen it when I've had to pull my shirt up to check my breathing... only awkward moment was last spring I had a hemorrhoid, and had to remove my diaper for a rectal exam...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back