why are you afraid to tell your doctor that you will be wearing diapers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toocomplicatedfor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
The tips shown below are for people who are not incontinent medically (AB / TB DL ...) For people who have incontinence but have never done a test it is important to talk to your doctor, incontinence that seems harmless can hide other diseases.
It's been a long time since I've been to different DL forums in different countries, and I've noticed that a worry often comes back "I'm afraid to say that to my doctor". But you know that the only thing you have to say if you do not want to have a problem is "I am incontinent" If he offers you stretching you say that you have already tested, if it is a penis case you say that you have already tested, it's not pleasant, not practical, it leaks at times if he offers you, drugs you say are not interested,and if he talks to you about surgery you say that the product currently on the market have too much risk of causing complications worse than incontinence.
I hope I could help you :)

Last edited:
Yeah, this is a reoccuring problem. It's because general society still tells most of us that adults needing diapers is an embarrasing and shamefull thing. A lot of people are also afraid simply for the sake of being afraid "what if" or being badly judged in spite of any evidence that will happen. Some also tend to lack the personal confidence to staind against that potential judgement too.

We just have to be patient with them, thats all. Keep showing them that most others don't notice or don't care. And doctors aren't going to judge, they are going to try and help. The very, very few people that do have a problem with us wearing diapers also need to be pittied, not feared, since it's really their problem not ours.

I have urge urinary incontinence and have worn a diaper 24/7/365 for many years. That of course includes to doctor’s appointments. I’ve found that, unless the purpose of a doctor’s appointment has something to do with my incontinence, the doctor almost never comments on it.

Who says I'm afraid? I'm 24/7.

I wasn’t afraid of seeing a dr just a little embarrassed that I was wetting myself I have OAB with urge incontinence diapered 24/7 365. Still getting used to needing diapers maybe a little dl because I want a cute diaper when going to bed why have a plain old diaper when I can have a diaper with a print on them

There's so many incontinent people that do not go to the doctors because of the surrounding stigma. It's a joke to those who are not. I think it boils down to tactics parents use to toilet train their kids. That memory usually never leaves anyone.

What people do not realize is that incontinence could be a sign of something worse, that's why doctors offer tests or suggestions. It's standard practice. While incontinence might not affect some people here. There still could be a bigger problem. Things like prostate cancer, UTI, or many other things include symptoms such as incontinence.

With that said, don't follow that advice if you're having sudden, or abnormal incontinence issues. Do see a physician, because your life could actually be on the line.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thank you I corrected for me the "target" seemed obvious. But that could not be the case :)

The other side of the coin regards those of us who are not incontinent but wear for pleasure. I've not told my psychologist about that and certainly not my medical doctor. As for my psychologist, I'm still thinking about telling as it's an important part of who I am.

I think it's important to talk to your psychologist, but only if you think that the person is sufficiently open (there are unfortunately some psy who considers it a disease, something that needs to be rid of it) but they are fortunately more and more rare, 10 years ago that type of thinking was much more common ....

Reactions: Wetbutt
I said a lot of people are afraid, not everyone and certainly not any one person specifically. And yeah, there are just as many who aren't afraid of being judged kr embarrased (probably more even). It IS a reoccuring problem though, even if nobody would want to admit it.

I am recuperating from cancer surgery. I'm 15 months post and I have urges in the middle of the night. I wear a diaper for night time dribbles and so I don't have to get up in the middle of the night, sometimes up to three times. My doc asks me how many times I get up a night. I tell him about two. Which is true. I go, just not in the bathroom. My thought is that if I told him he might have a funny look on his face and maybe tell me I'm being lazy as I'm supposed to practice holding it (Kegel exercises). On the other hand, he would probably just tell me whatever works.

It would suffice to tell him that sleep is the most important, and that you prefer a good night's sleep than risking being wet :)

I don't like it when doctors and nurses, who don't already know, see me in my diapers. Not that they comment, usually, but they do show surprise sometimes, so they pay attention, which is embarrassing. Even if I'm as dry as I can manage, which I try to be at such times...

Toocomplicatedfor said:
I think it's important to talk to your psychologist, but only if you think that the person is sufficiently open (there are unfortunately some psy who considers it a disease, something that needs to be rid of it) but they are fortunately more and more rare, 10 years ago that type of thinking was much more common ....

I would think that knowing that your psychologist is LGTBQ-friendly would be some assurance that they could give you an outlet to share your enjoyment of diapers. As far as this writer is concerned they’re a well-kept secret! Folks don’t know what they’re missing!

I was afraid to tell my doctors about my wearing diapers because I had no actual need to wear diapers, but when the opportunity arose I wore a diaper to a appointment for an checkup on my spine injury and I was put through some painful tests to determine what was the cause of my now supposed incontinence.
Tests results came back as nerve damage and a hyperactive bladder.
I’ve been diapered to every doctor visit since and only when I’m assigned a new doctor do I get questioned, I just tell him it’s all right there in my medical history.

Reactions: SoS7883
I have no issue letting any new doctor or medical staff that needs to know I wear diapers 24/7 its a non issue for me at least my current urologist is ok with me wearing but has said if I get tired of dealing with diapers he will suggest alternatives.

meds are out
surgery for implants is never going to be an option
a catheter and leg bag may be an option in the future but its not practical for a work environment

Scaramouche said:
I am recuperating from cancer surgery. I'm 15 months post and I have urges in the middle of the night. I wear a diaper for night time dribbles and so I don't have to get up in the middle of the night, sometimes up to three times. My doc asks me how many times I get up a night. I tell him about two. Which is true. I go, just not in the bathroom. My thought is that if I told him he might have a funny look on his face and maybe tell me I'm being lazy as I'm supposed to practice holding it (Kegel exercises). On the other hand, he would probably just tell me whatever works.

Yes, would be quite fun to say "I pee twice a night. But I never get up" and see the reaction...

I have been to urologist a few times but it seems like they charge me to much for the visit and never even came up with a explanation for the incontinence I was experiencing or why I still wet the bed but the last time I went I had two appointments that day and both times I had to take my clothes off and they were still in the room I was embarrassed to be wearing just a diaper but they probably see it everyday

I am not afraid at all to tell my doctor that I wear diapers because I have to wear them because I am partially bladder and bowel incontinent from an L5-S1 ruptured disc. She is completely understanding of my issue and non judgmental about it. Every time I go to the doctor, I am diapered and she knows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back