When, if at all, was the training potty taken away?

PurpleScorpion

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Other
When did your parents retire the on-the-floor training potty in favor of having you use the adult toilet? Were you potty trained to use the big toilet from the start, with an insert and stool if necessary?

I honestly don’t remember. I remember using a on floor plastic potty. I think I got rid of it after I was big enough to fit on the adult potty.

I only have the vaguest memory or two of having it, so it was probably only used briefly early on to get me used to the concept of toileting before moving on to the real thing as soon as I was ready.

I vaguely remember using the potty at age 6 or so when I was ill. Otherwise not exactly sure.

I don’t know about my own as a kid, but we kept our two children’s potty chair until they were seven and nine. We only had one bathroom in our first house and kept the potty in the laundry room for emergencies. If you used it you had to leave a note on the sideboard so we could empty it. Most times it was for peepee but if the kids were having a bit of the runs then they did poo in it a few times. In addition, several of their cousins who were sleeping over used it also. We always had a small package of wet wipes near it and a coffee filter inside it ready for easy cleanups. I think it’s hard to imagine a nine year old kid using a toddlers potty, but quickies can even make the most holdout kid willing to break down and bite the bullet.

Reactions: Hell2DaNaw and AJFan2020
I think I was just trained with the big toilet and a stepstool!

I might have had a training potty? though I just as likely could have started with the big boy potty and no stepstool. I don't remember it at all.

My training potty (which I had since about eighteen months to two years of age) was taken away on my fourth birthday. At that point my parents threw it away. They told me that I was too old for a potty chair at that point. Looking back I think they took it away too early. I was only able to use the potty chair for around six months before that and by no later than three-and-a-half to four years of age I became absolutely terrified of heights.

It was about another three months or so before I was able to start using the big toilet, though.

Last edited:
craigd1341 said:
I don’t know about my own as a kid, but we kept our two children’s potty chair until they were seven and nine. We only had one bathroom in our first house and kept the potty in the laundry room for emergencies. If you used it you had to leave a note on the sideboard so we could empty it. Most times it was for peepee but if the kids were having a bit of the runs then they did poo in it a few times. In addition, several of their cousins who were sleeping over used it also. We always had a small package of wet wipes near it and a coffee filter inside it ready for easy cleanups. I think it’s hard to imagine a nine year old kid using a toddlers potty, but quickies can even make the most holdout kid willing to break down and bite the bullet.
I have images of you upgrading to one of the weird lightweight camping ones next…
A2517FA9-86BB-4D12-B134-5D73937713EE.png

WoollyAndJoshy said:
I have images of you upgrading to one of the weird lightweight camping ones next…
View attachment 126898
Those never quite looked sturdy enough … the thought of having to take my eight year old to the ER and explain what happened scared me.

craigd1341 said:
Those never quite looked sturdy enough … the thought of having to take my eight year old to the ER and explain what happened scared me.
There are a few weird models of them (not the toilet ones with the flush) but the potty type ones. I agree they don’t seem sturdy enough looking at them but they seem to sell. I think they make them with adults in mind too! I also think wearing a nappy with be way more comfortable and convenient than sitting on a plastic bag too!

Last edited:
After many attempts, my mother taught me how to use the potty at the age of 6. But the potty stayed in my room for another 3 years just in case, and I used it occasionally when the toilet was occupied.
After my 9th birthday, it disappeared after a year of non-use, which I was happy about because when I finally used it, I was very ashamed of it.

Back