What features are important for the “perfect” ABDL diaper?

What is most important to you in a diaper? Choose top 3

• Total voters
CheshireCat said:
I'm incontinent, not ABDL, but I think many who wear diapers would like a diaper with a different fluff to SAP ratio, or SAP layout. Meaning, a thicker diaper for overnight that wicks extremely well. I don't think people care about the ISO absorbency; they care about the real world absorbency. A diaper that easily wicked all the way up the back while still locking it in would be a BIG hit.
I love how this keeps getting brought up lately! 🙂

I am in total agreement with it too. I'd love to see some manufacturer focus on a high pulp ratio diaper...

Seems like one of the last good wicking diapers still available is the molicare maxi (super plus when it was purple)... I can definitely count on it protecting me better at night because it's not all sap...

Last edited:
Reactions: blaincorrous and CheshireCat
For me it's the crinkle from the soft baby plastic backing, the maximum absorbency capacity and the odour control which makes for the ultimate ABDL disposable.

• Love
Reactions: theancientmariner
MetalDan86 said:
I really wish there was an option here for odor control. The smell of Luvs or Pampers is really important to me in reaching little-space after the overall softness and absorption of the diaper itself. A good fit and elastics that don’t break apart is cool too.
In addition to odour control I also opt for a wetness indicator in the form of cute baby prints fading out once the absorbent core becomes wet and soaked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MetalDan86
High and strong leak guards to prevent a poonami

• Haha
Reactions: Deleted member 56273 and Abdlchriscrinkle
High-absorbent diapers that are plastic-backed with sticky tapes and having cute prints and colors (preferably covering the whole diaper) are the best.

• Love
Reactions: BlueDude and Deleted member 56273
First off it's absorbency and comfort for myself then its colors and pattern design.
I like the 4 tape diapers the most along with a good landing zone .

I mostly choose my diapers based off of the print so that is the most important part to me. I would also like the diaper to be as leak proof as possible.

High absorbency, hook and loop fasteners, solid color. And that makes me a happy diaper wear er.

I think a choice missing was something like mirroring an original baby design, like luv's thick from the 1980's.
And of course that is the hardest thing to do today, because unless you own the machine, none of these subcontractors are going
to make a full pad that reaches out to the wings, like they did back in the day.

Reactions: Deleted member 56273, bedwetterdavid and Ali123
Wider crotch plastic. Don't widen the padding, just the plastic. This will do a better job reducing & eliminating leaks in all positions & all activity levels...which is what a diaper is supposed to do.

Reactions: PaddedRita, Canadianfalls, Abdlchriscrinkle and 2 others
BobbiSueEllen said:
Wider crotch plastic. Don't widen the padding, just the plastic. This will do a better job reducing & eliminating leaks in all positions & all activity levels...which is what a diaper is supposed to do.
👍

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Pantyman said:
High absorbency, hook and loop fasteners, solid color. And that makes me a happy diaper wear er.

I actually just received a sample of a diaper fitting that description! But I think you may be in the minority wanting hook and loop fasteners. They work, but they don’t seem to be popular.

bedwetterdavid said:
I think you may be in the minority wanting hook and loop fasteners. They work, but they don’t seem to be popular.
That depends upon brand. InControl's hook/loop fasteners, be the diaper clothlike of plastic-backed ("hybrid") are utterly stellar: zero problems, zero failures on me. And I cinch snugly, like a diaper should be cinched. They're more popular than you believe.

• Love
Reactions: theancientmariner
NappiedSissyJessica said:
I’d also add ‘waddle factor’
The thicker they are, the more waddle you'll get.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 56273
Antientmariner said:
The thicker they are, the more waddle you'll get.
The diaper also thickens up when the absorbent core inside padding becomes wet.

ArchtopK said:
I think a choice missing was something like mirroring an original baby design, like luv's thick from the 1980's.
And of course that is the hardest thing to do today, because unless you own the machine, none of these subcontractors are going
to make a full pad that reaches out to the wings, like they did back in the day.
It's merely a question of money and profit. Corporate companies are best known for destroying a high-quality product by deleting key features to reduce production costs.

it is understandable that you would remove the padding in an incontinent brief because that way they don't interfere with putting on a
pair of pants for example. But to my mind, if your intent is to replicate a baby diaper, you need padding in the wings. Of course, even today's baby diapers have eliminated the padding in the wings, so i guess it comes down to what era do you want to replicate as well.

Be careful what you wish for. Especially when it comes to asking what the market says they want and finding out too late what they will pay for.

If you ask me, the ABDL industry is currently stuck on high-absorbency ratings by ISO testing. But if someone were to quantify overall absorbency WITH wicking capability to illustrate overall utilization of a single diaper in real world conditions, it could break the logjam. It’s almost as if, to sell a new diaper in the industry, you have to invent a new way of testing and expressing your diaper performance measurements.

For me, my favorites have a cut that huggies my ass, pampers my front with a slight bulge, and luvs my sheets by not leaking out the front-side wings when I’m laying on my back.

Oh, and it’s gotta have a landing zone design. Don’t doubt that.

Finding the right design is another tricky area. To break in after the advent of positional printing, you’ll have to start there or get ahead of the next major trend before the other big players in the market, which I’m fairly convinced is custom printing by the case.

My suggestion is to find a “channeling” pad design that doesn’t run afoul of the existing patents and blitz the market with a new visual design. In purples and greens, if you ask my opinion on what’s missing from the current mix.

Reactions: PaddedRita
One feature missing that needs to be there. “Higher pulp content”. This is needed and would make diapers better as far as absorption and thicker.

Reactions: ElPulpo, Abdlchriscrinkle and Deleted member 56273
blaincorrous said:
Be careful what you wish for. Especially when it comes to asking what the market says they want and finding out too late what they will pay for.
I'm pretty sure about my request. If a diaper can't stop leaks, what good is it? There will never be a diaper out there which will wick & absorb fast enough, be it baby or toddler, if the leg gathers can't seal as they should seal. Just widen the plastic in the crotch 3 inches total, space out the elastics to match, there it is. Plus, it'll waste less plastic during production. And the change of added weight & bulk per package won't even be noticed.

I was once told that there were "water knives" which cut the leg notches out of the plastic during production; that's not true. During production, the chain of diapers go through a die-cutting drum assembly which has that shape of sharp cutters on either side of the drum, which die-cut the leg-cutout shape as the diapers roll through, before they're individually cut. The big question is: how much will it cost to make new "cutter drums" for the machines? And why can't this feature be used on medical diapers if the company making our diapers makes medical diapers, too? That'll pay for the drums over time...and improve performance for everyone, resulting in a great reputation, more sales, more profit. That's the bottom line...right? Sales & Profit? Of course it is. And promote the puddin' out of it!

What's sad is that I contacted Northshore about this possibility and they weren't receptive of it, but they did respond. InControl didn't even respond at all. What's so laughable or dismissible about a good, tangible idea for real product improvement? 🤔

People also out there have this deeply mistaken notion that inner leak guards do the job. No...they don't. They contain feces, not urine, because that's how baby-diaper manufacturers promoted them in advertising their diapers: as fecal containment. The inner leak-guards are made of the exact same lining which lets urine go through into the absorbent padding. As much as there's some AB/DL diapers I love to buy & wear, they're not perfect; they leak, too. I'll take better leg-sealing over increased mega-absorption any day of the week. And twice on Sundays. 🤭

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PaddedRita, Deleted member 56273, Abdlchriscrinkle and 1 other person
Back