What do you look for an a diaper cream?

Nova95

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
I’m looking for a diaper cream to stop rashes from forming. I already have one, but I hate how hard it is to come off my hands. It just sticks to me even when I try and since it off in a sink. What’s the essential ingredient you look for in a diaper cream as well?

Reactions: ChristianDiaperLover
A pleasant baby smell is essential, I like Baby Magic Lotion the best. The skin protection is good, I can enjoy a messy diaper for several hours without a problem.

Reactions: DIAPERBOY920 and Nova95
I like the Desitin Maximum Strength Diaper rash cream, I have sensitive skin so using this while wearing is essential for not getting rashes.

Reactions: Nova95
Nova95 said:
I’m looking for a diaper cream to stop rashes from forming. I already have one, but I hate how hard it is to come off my hands. It just sticks to me even when I try and since it off in a sink. What’s the essential ingredient you look for in a diaper cream as well?
I need to use barrier for every change. I glove one hand for this process so I don't need to wash the creme off my hand.

My favorite item is palmer's cocoa butter, it's a lotion and barrier in one. Otherwise I'll use vaseline, lanolin, or zinc oxide creme as alternative options. Zinc oxide for rashes, otherwise I tend to stick with cocoa butter. It's excellent for your skin and provides good waterproofing.

Any good barrier will be waterproof and hard to wash off, hence why I stock / carry gloves with all of my diaper change supplies.

Edit: I also use a foaming cleanser (welmedix) which is *excellent* at removing and cleaning up old cream and odors from your diaper area. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Reactions: AttilaThePun, DIAPERBOY920, Jonnythepony and 2 others
My two go to ones are calmoseptine (Walgreens carries it, they have a generic but it’s less easy to work with and smells worse). There is a Dynacare are one that is similar if you can get it. Pinkav is my other go to. I generally use the calmoseptine for friction points and problem areas and desitin or pinkav for my butt. Seems to work well for me. Baby wipes do wonders for getting creams off. Anti Monkey butt powder is what I use when I’m prolonged in diapers, it has calamine in it. Amazon or tractor supply carries it. They had a cream that was amazing but it was discontinued.

Reactions: BigAl2
I'll 2nd calmoseptine.

Having had an overwhelming affinity for plastic pants as far back as I can remember and having experience with what oils, Vaseline and other petroleum based products can have on them I avoid them in diaper rash treatments. The products that I use as someone who’s been diapered 24/7 for more than 8 years now are zinc oxide based ointments for rash and rash prevention with Remedy Skin Care Crème, that I first received from a hospital as a patient, for skin maintenance. I’ve been buying high zinc oxide content diaper rash ointment in tubs and use it as a skin sealant or protective ointment on a daily basis and I’ve found several that don’t cause hardening and cracking with my vinyl pants. My PEVA pants seems to be immune to this but I have many PVC and vinyl pants that aren’t.

The PUL pants hold up the best to creams.

BigAl1 said:
The PUL pants hold up the best to creams.
They do stand up well to hardening and cracking from oils and cremes, but I don’t find them to work well with cloth diapers. By morning, when my cloth diapers are fairly well soaked, PUL pants that I have used always get damp on the outside. I use them now with disposables, when I where disposables, although I haven’t tried them with cloth backed disposables which I have also found to weep moisture.

Being allergic to both aloe and lanolin, there are many brands that I wish I could try, but can't even consider. Some concoctions contain aloe, some contain lanolin - I've even found some that contain both. Suffice to say, I must read labels and ingredients lists very thoroughly before buying any products.

I usually use petroleum jelly, or zinc oxide ointment, or bacitracin zinc in a parrafin base (depending upon circumstances and where they're to be applied). To protect my PUL pants from any of these, I usually wear a pair of cotton briefs/short inseam boxer briefs over my disposable diaper for sleeping or extended wear. This has a bonus effect of absorbing potential leaks so my PUL pants may be damp-ish but not sloshy if a leak does occur.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen
Back