what diapers to wear for first colonoscopy

nikthewerelion

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Incontinent
hi, I’m going in for my first colonoscopy in about a month. I would be interested in any advice people have for this situation. I’ve heard that the prep is the worst part and I am planning on getting some cheaper diapers because I have a feeling I’m going to be going through quite a few of them. I’m planning on wearing to and from the appointment just on the off chance that I have an accident. I am not bowel ic but I do need diapers for frequent urination and leaks of that nature. I’ve also read in some places that having Vaseline on hand would be helpful. Any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. The other thing to note is that I am blind, I’m not sure how the hospital staff will handle that part with regards to me being a Diapers, will it mean that they will prefer to put me back into them when I’m done? Will they help me with that? I’m just curious for any help with the situation

I’ve had three. The procedure doesn’t take long and you want have anything to drink the day of it so excessive urination probably won’t be an issue. You’ll be awake before you know it. You might need help getting dressed and you will not be driving yourself home.

Prep is another matter. Stay very close to a bathroom. Or be prepared to have very watery bms in your diaper. The good thing is you’ll be clean as a whistle from the prep, but you’ll probably be hungry because you won’t have anything solid to eat and probably tired from having so many bms.

Reactions: richieboy and Davvyboy
I’ve had two and the prep isn’t as bad as you think. Yes the bm’s are watery but you don’t get the cramps that a stomach virus will give you.
It’s true you’ll be really hungry after.

Reactions: Davvyboy
Also don’t worry about wearing diapers, I had a family member undergo a colonoscopy, and in the recommended supplies, it said that depends were recommended, due to possible leakage.

Reactions: DBabygirl2, bdale and Davvyboy
I had my third colonoscopy last month and I wore my normal, depends real fit. They will give you privacy to change before and after the procedure. You will take a short nap during the procedure and not feel anything. Like deepdriftAD said, they recommend protective underwear for everyone not just patents that are incontinent. Wear what you are most comfortable wearing.

Reactions: Jorelaxed and deepdriftAD
I've had one colonoscopy. The preparation started 3-4 days before the procedure with special diet, lots of water and meds to empty the bowel.
Not so bad actually, but the last day was no food at all, so got very hungry. Only drinking allowed.
Private room to take off clothes and diaper at hospital and put on special paper briefs with opening behind. Nurse to check the opening is closed when you walk out in the corridor😳
I was awake under the procedure. I must admit it was embarrassing. It was also extremely painful, but that was because of my problem that
caused the whole colonoscopy in the first place.
Diapered up and got dressed after procedure was over. No driving for me afterwards, so wife drove home.
Finally allowed to eat again (very hungry).
I would say normal diapers before and maybe next level diapers after for safety.

The worst thing was actually the waiting the few days before I got the colonoscopy, because the rush from I first saw my GP to getting appointment told us what he suspected. Luckily it wasn't that, but had to take several antibiotics cures and other meds for months.

Last edited:
Reactions: deepdriftAD
yeah, I’m gonna wear halfway decent diapers before and after, I don’t trust those cheap Walmart diapers to do anything. It is going to suck not being able to eat the day before and drink only liquids but I’m currently also taking Ozempic which is working decently and so unless like that, I feel hungry so that’s gonna help me a lot I think. since I am blind and I don’t drive anyways my mom is taking me to and from the appointment. I won’t have to work for four days after the appointment so on the R chance that I have a few accidents the day after it won’t be a big deal.

No problem wearing a diaper there. The nurse even made a supportive comment about how popular Tykables are these days. I love the new mini preps (two small jugs … like accidentally taking in a mouthful of ocean water when swimming). The mini prep option was the best money I ever spent

Reactions: DBabygirl2
not sure what the mini prep stuff is but the letter told me to get some bottles of MiraLAX and Gatorade and mix the two together and drink that. I’m going to get the white cherry Gatorade as my mixer. Not sure if I’m gonna wear a diaper with prince on it may be a something to change an after I well, but I need something on the cheaper side of things, as I would be afraid of having an accident or leakage on the way in and I don’t want to ruin a really good quality diaper without much use too bad i can’t buy animooz right now . it looks like I will have to settle for a packer or critter caboose.

Sorry … the ‘mini prep’ I used was called Clenpiq’

craigd1341 said:
Sorry … the ‘mini prep’ I used was called Clenpiq’
I have my 2nd colonoscopy coming up this month. Where did you get this "Clenpiq'"? I've heard there are new "cleansing" products that make prep a hell of a lot easier than the standard ones where you essentially are pissing out of your ass for a day, unable to sleep due to that etc. My non-VA PCP mentioned something about him using one of them for his and he says it's light years ahead of the BRUTAL products in use up until now. So, where does one get this and what does it cost?
Thanks!

Last edited:
nikthewerelion said:
not sure what the mini prep stuff is but the letter told me to get some bottles of MiraLAX and Gatorade and mix the two together and drink that. I’m going to get the white cherry Gatorade as my mixer. Not sure if I’m gonna wear a diaper with prince on it may be a something to change an after I well, but I need something on the cheaper side of things, as I would be afraid of having an accident or leakage on the way in and I don’t want to ruin a really good quality diaper without much use too bad i can’t buy animooz right now . it looks like I will have to settle for a packer or critter caboose.
Remember that if you got any leakages after the colonoscopy, it will basically be pure water.
How much you leak before is also dependent on how long your travel and waiting time is.

Pullups are probably best as the BMs are very acidic. You really don't want those to happen in your diaper so you really need them to happen in the toilet

yeah, for the prep and stuff I’ll probably just be using the Walmart diapers while I’m at home but when I go to the hospital, I will use in Abena and floor, some thing that gives me enough protection, but I don’t feel like I’m screwing myself over by throwing away, even if I don’t use it. I live a few blocks away from the hospital, so I’m not that far but they told me to show up an hour before the appointment. I’ll probably wear something more significant after the appointment but nothing with prints or anything. Just regular diapers.

craigd1341 said:
No problem wearing a diaper there. The nurse even made a supportive comment about how popular Tykables are these days. I love the new mini preps (two small jugs … like accidentally taking in a mouthful of ocean water when swimming). The mini prep option was the best money I ever spent
Your comment really helped me relieve some anxiety. Thank you. I haven’t had my first one yet and really still more anxious about being under, not so much about wearing a diaper. I plan on ordering what I wear now or a few good ones with high leak guards. Ik I’m not in control of what I might say when I’m loopy, but don’t like the idea of feeling out of it/fear of not waking up. Are the drugs they give addictive? Im a small person so I’m afraid it will take longer to come out of it.

i’m not so worried about being put under, although I am kind of fighting as I wake up, from what I’ve been told. It also doesn’t help that I am blind, not completely, but with so little that I really can’t realize what’s going on around me really quickly. I am hoping that the staff will put me back in a diaper after I’m done. And if not right away, I’m sure they will assist me in that. from all that, I have read it on these forms, the more times you do this the more you’ll get used to it.

Omg.. How does one get used to it! 🤔😳 It’s different from anal play bc of the true nature of the procedure and strangers are doing it. I think that part bothers me most.

oh, I just meant you probably get used to the prep after you’ve done it a few times. Since this is my first time, I’m not sure what to expect and I don’t have the exact mix figured out. I don’t know how bad it’s going to be for me, whether I’ll make it to the toilet, or end up having to use my diaper a couple times. but I’m sure as the years go on I’ll get used to it. Although every 10 years probably kind of makes it seem like it’s a new thing every time you do it. I’ve been put under a whole bunch of times though, it’ll suck, but other than that like who cares it is what it is.

Reactions: DBabygirl2
nikthewerelion said:
oh, I just meant you probably get used to the prep after you’ve done it a few times. Since this is my first time, I’m not sure what to expect and I don’t have the exact mix figured out. I don’t know how bad it’s going to be for me, whether I’ll make it to the toilet, or end up having to use my diaper a couple times. but I’m sure as the years go on I’ll get used to it. Although every 10 years probably kind of makes it seem like it’s a new thing every time you do it. I’ve been put under a whole bunch of times though, it’ll suck, but other than that like who cares it is what it is.
Yeah. You’re right.. is what it is. I’ve never been under except for local when I got my wisdom teeth out. Still nervous about that. Ik I’m a big baby but Ik I have to make the appointment and start the process.

CptKirk said:
I have my 2nd colonoscopy coming up this month. Where did you get this "Clenpiq'"? I've heard there are new "cleansing" products that make prep a hell of a lot easier than the standard ones where you essentially are pissing out of your ass for a day, unable to sleep due to that etc. My non-VA PCP mentioned something about him using one of them for his and he says it's light years ahead of the BRUTAL products in use up until now. So, where does one get this and what does it cost?
Thanks!
I took my prescription from the gastroenterologist and just went to Walgreens. The nurse at the gastroenterologist gave me a coupon to make it under $70 or so. My wife got hers at CVS. I had a cup of warm chicken broth to slam down after the clenpiq. The oily chicken broth totally cleaned the cranberry salt water taste away right away.

Reactions: CptKirk
Back