Love yourself, love others
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
Hey fellow ADISC readers and bibliophiles, what have you been reading lately? Got any recommendations?

I've kind of been all over the place in terms of genre as of late. I decided recently to dive into a little cold war history with David Hoffman's The Dead Hand. Been pretty interesting so far. I've never looked into this timeframe before so it has been educational.
1690301892930.png

Reactions: Hahaurfnuuy and LittleJames97
1690308192529.png
i'm a fiction fanatic lol.....this is an adult vampuric fiction (big kid twilight lol)...more based around the real life vore of vampirism then a glorified modernized version....
i recently got back into reading after....shoot.....10 years x.x? haven't had time to finish a book, let alone the calm in the mind to concentrate on it

history is hard for me XD nonfiction or autobiographical, nah lol brain can't do it. as in Beetleguise, "this reads like a stereo manual." lol....brain can't focus, has to be a story line....
for you being you dove into history i'd recommend anything thats nonfiction- fiction. i really liked the Dear America series lol....my favorite was Voyage on the Great Titanic (the one that is navy blue almost in the center)....based around historical information with fictional characters in a diary like format; quick easy read for maybe a cloudy rainy day lol

Happy reading! :3
1690308460736.png

I recently finished this novel called "Out Of My Mind". It's about a girl who has cerebral palsy and can't verbal speak but, she is very gifted and very intelligent kid who studied very hard. She entered a school quiz show with her classmates that trying to go to the final in Washington D.C. It's a great book I recommend it.{AC4774D1-036E-4B9C-80BC-9EF4AC38BCF4}Img100.jpg

Reactions: Hahaurfnuuy
Unfortunately, I work around 90-100 hours a week at my job and read a lot of medical records doing so, so have a lot less time to pleasure read than I would like. I have a HUGE stack by the bed but rarely pick them up.

Currently reading Michael J. Fox's last book he had written a couple years back after watching his excellent documentary on Apple TV (highly recommended). But I have a bunch of things from fiction to non-fiction - Jonathan Kellerman and John Grisham, some books on FBI profiling, a biography about George Washington, Bob Iger's biography, a book about life after death...which at my current pace, I may BE dead before I finish reading everything, lol!

I'm reading a haunted house story titled, "Dark Inspiration". I grew up in a haunted house and I've always had an interest in ghosts and hauntings so it's a fun book for me.

Reactions: warmfeeling and Hahaurfnuuy
Like reading on line news papers from lager cites close to me !

journal-of-nicholas-cresswell_c7215_web_img_0132_90b9b2fc-75ee-48a9-836f-bf24717693c8_800x.jpg
Can't recommend this book enough . Thank you Townsends for the recommendation.

Reactions: snugglyowl, perlFerret and dogboy
I'm reading Testament of Youth. Again. Actually this is the 3rd read. Each time I understand it better. It's a hard read. Written by Vera Brittain. She lived in the north of England and in 1915, she abandoned school from oxford and enlisted as a nurse. During the war she lived in London, Malta and working at the front in France. She lost her brother during the war including the death of her boyfriend. The destruction and and suffering became a strong peace leader. Unbelievable book. 600 pages.

Reactions: dogboy
dogboy said:
I'm reading a haunted house story titled, "Dark Inspiration". I grew up in a haunted house and I've always had an interest in ghosts and hauntings so it's a fun book for me.

I just finished a classic you're probably already familiar with — Burnt Offerings by Robert Marasco. I loved it enough that I expect to read it again. One usually doesn't imagine that they need to worry about a summer rental being dangerously haunted…

I understand Stephen King drew inspiration for some of his stories from this one. ^.^

The Power of Right Believing by Joseph Prince

Gabbelino London and Complications of Unicorns by Kim M. Watts

Celtic Empire by Clive Cussler

Triumph of Justice : The Final Judgement on the O.J. Simpson Saga by Daniel Petrocelli

Tigerheart’s Shadow by Erin Hunter

Papi by David Ortiz

The Commissar Vanishes: The Falsification of Photographs and Art in Stalin’s Russia by David King

The Golden Age of Crap 77 B-Movies from the Glory Days of VHS by Nathan Shumate

The Second Confession by Rex Stout

Last edited:
Reactions: snugglyowl
%7BDB74E08A-ECA4-420D-A330-96748B7C1C18%7DIMG100.JPG

Last edited:
I'm a hudge fan of fantasy and Terry Brooks is the best of our generation. He has 23 New York Times best sellers 28 in the Shannara series a total of 36 books over 25 Million copys Sold. I've read most of them but he has written some prequels and this is one of them so I started over to read in chronological order.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230807_114255_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230807_114255_Gallery.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'm highly ashamed to admit that I don't read much any more, I used to visit the bookstore every week looking for something interesting. Mostly fiction (sci-fi, fantasy, alternate history and such).

Lately it's just hard to find the time to really sink into a good book, I did sign up with Audible if that counts hoping that might rekindle the passion and the last thing I listened to on there was the Bobiverse series starting with "we are legion, We are Bob"
We Are Legion (We Are Bob) – Josh's World

This was definitely a fun read and I can't wait for more.

Belarin said:
I'm highly ashamed to admit that I don't read much any more, I used to visit the bookstore every week looking for something interesting. Mostly fiction (sci-fi, fantasy, alternate history and such).

Lately it's just hard to find the time to really sink into a good book, I did sign up with Audible if that counts hoping that might rekindle the passion and the last thing I listened to on there was the Bobiverse series starting with "we are legion, We are Bob"
We Are Legion (We Are Bob) – Josh's World's World

This was definitely a fun read and I can't wait for more.
I think audio-books are a good alternative, albeit one that I don't personally use since I get distracted easily. In terms of books, you could simply give yourself a goal of reading a chapter a week or something similar. Small enough to be able to incorporate into your schedule. I believe it's more so about persistence than amount of pages read in terms of getting through books.

Last edited:
Reactions: Belarin
Oaktree said:
I think audio-books are a good alternative, albeit one that I don't personally use since I get distracted easily. In terms of books, you could simply give yourself a goal of reading a chapter a week or something similar. Small enough to be able to incorporate into your schedule. I believe it's more so about persistence than amount of pages read in terms of getting through books.
I can focus quite well on an audio book if it is read by someone who knows how to make a good recording (Steven Fry for instance does some great books).

My problem is that I used to read a Lot and quite fast too and I am particularly prone to binging things. This is why I don't like or watch regular tv, I despise waiting a week between episodes, I enjoy being able to just sit back and consume a good story until I'm satisfied. It's not about being impatient or will power as I can wait when I have to I just prefer the choice to take on as much or as little as I want, when I want.

It may have more to do with areas of interest, I would probably get bored of a book after a couple weeks if I was only getting a chapter a week, it becomes more of a chore to continue reading rather than a piece of entertainment to enjoy spending time with, and at that pace whatever peaked my curiosity and interest in a particular book might soon get replaced with a different interest after a few weeks.

Things come and go in cycles with me like a few weeks ago I started watching "from" which really got me wanting more 'mystery' stuff, depending on what happens in the next few weeks I may end up wanting something lighter and comedic or perhaps darker horror maybe I might suddenly get an itch for geeky sci-fi space opera stuff.

The last time this happened with a book was with "the lies of locke lamora"
Too much Speculation?: Review: The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

Which is another really good book that I was getting into but could only read a little at a time, then I saw something that pulled my interest in a different direction and I never finished it, still haven't been able to get back into that one yet which I really should.

Reactions: Oaktree
Belarin said:
I can focus quite well on an audio book if it is read by someone who knows how to make a good recording (Steven Fry for instance does some great books).

My problem is that I used to read a Lot and quite fast too and I am particularly prone to binging things. This is why I don't like or watch regular tv, I despise waiting a week between episodes, I enjoy being able to just sit back and consume a good story until I'm satisfied. It's not about being impatient or will power as I can wait when I have to I just prefer the choice to take on as much or as little as I want, when I want.

It may have more to do with areas of interest, I would probably get bored of a book after a couple weeks if I was only getting a chapter a week, it becomes more of a chore to continue reading rather than a piece of entertainment to enjoy spending time with, and at that pace whatever peaked my curiosity and interest in a particular book might soon get replaced with a different interest after a few weeks.

Things come and go in cycles with me like a few weeks ago I started watching "from" which really got me wanting more 'mystery' stuff, depending on what happens in the next few weeks I may end up wanting something lighter and comedic or perhaps darker horror maybe I might suddenly get an itch for geeky sci-fi space opera stuff.

The last time this happened with a book was with "the lies of locke lamora"
Too much Speculation?: Review: The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

Which is another really good book that I was getting into but could only read a little at a time, then I saw something that pulled my interest in a different direction and I never finished it, still haven't been able to get back into that one yet which I really should.
I think I'm similar in some ways. Sometimes it's hard to stay interested in something and then just moving onto the next. I try not to be too hard on myself when I kind of give up and move to another.

The Bees, by Laline Paul: a personified novelization of what it's like to be part of a honeybee colony. Weirdly accurate and weirdly dystopian-YA-dramatic at the same time. Just finished it and it was uniquely enthralling and a quick and easy read.

And also, to a more outright nonfiction end, Teaming With Bacteria: The Organic Gardener's Guide to Endophytic Bacteria and the Rhizophagy Cycle, by Jeff Lowenfels. He also wrote Teaming with Microbes. Cracking into Azincourt, by Bernard Cornwell. I've had a copy of it sitting for a while; it's published as Agincourt in the US if anyone is looking for it. Historical fiction story that describes the events leading up to the Battle of Agincourt via the protagonist, per the description. Seems good so far, picking up kinda slow.

Hoping to revive this thread if anyone's got any good recommendations! Just started cooling down in my neck of the woods, so I'm ready to be curling up with a book and coffee as frequently as possible. Big history (fiction and non), horror, mystery, and natural sciences topics fan.

I'm re-reading Alice in Wonderland. It's my favourite story

Reactions: chickpea and perlFerret
I just finished Holly by Stephen King, and then I went down the SK rabbit hole and now I'm reading Fairytale.

I really enjoyed Holly. I'll have to let you know about Fairytale after I finish it.

Back