Were you put in nappies or pull ups for days out or long trips after potty training?

Did you wear nappies past potty training when out

• Total voters

Lily12345

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I was thinking to my childhood and had a lots of times when if the trip was more than 3 hours I'd be put in a pull up for the day up to the age of 10 and 11. I wet the bed until 13 so I think that was the main factor, but I wondered if this was something that happened to lots of kids or if it was just something my parents did with me? It was typically most trips where we'd be out for more than 3-4 hours that I'd have to wear one.

When did you stop having to wear them all the time?

Reactions: craigd1341, Diprs2, Lyric and 1 other person
Lily12345 said:
I was thinking to my childhood and had a lots of times when if the trip was more than 3 hours I'd be put in a pull up for the day up to the age of 10 and 11. I wet the bed until 13 so I think that was the main factor, but I wondered if this was something that happened to lots of kids or if it was just something my parents did with me? It was typically most trips where we'd be out for more than 3-4 hours that I'd have to wear one.

I can't remember when I went through potty training 😔

Reactions: Diprs2
No, in the 70s there were no pull-ups, so potty training was pretty much the end of diapers for us. I don’t remember potty training, but do remember being envious of my youngest brother's diapers and wishing I still used them. I took and wore them in secret, but never was put in one “just in case” or after accidents. I was the oldest of three and recall one time not long after he was potty trained, the middle kid pooped his pants while we were out and mom put him in one of our little brother's diapers because they didn’t have a change of clothes for him. I was very jealous, and several times tried to convince my mom I might need a diaper after an accident, but was never taken up on my suggestion.

• Sad
Reactions: TenaciousDL, Diprs2, TigerDL and 2 others
SoggyRunner said:
No, in the 70s there were no pull-ups, so potty training was pretty much the end of diapers for us. I don’t remember potty training, but do remember being envious of my youngest brother's diapers and wishing I still used them. I took and wore them in secret, but never was put in one “just in case” or after accidents. I was the oldest of three and recall one time not long after he was potty trained, the middle kid pooped his pants while we were out and mom put him in one of our little brother's diapers because they didn’t have a change of clothes for him. I was very jealous, and several times tried to convince my mom I might need a diaper after an accident, but was never taken up on my suggestion.
That's a bummer.

Nope, but I do have somewhat of a "core memory" from being really young. We were visiting my cousins I think. I not sure of the specifics but I think I peed myself a little bit. My dad said something about putting me back in nappies if I was gonna do that. I remember actually wanting that at the time. However, I had too much shame built up even then so I didn't just say yes lol.

In hindsight I suppose that might have been a sign of things to come lol.

• Love
Reactions: TenaciousDL, Diprs2, gobphus and 2 others
If I couldn’t hold it, I didn’t go on the outing. As an adult, my wife made me wear under my clothes. I wish she was still around.

Reactions: denimchicken and Diprs2
Stopped at 2 years old. Ironically enough I asked to be potty trained and directly skipped the potty step. My parents and grandparents got a sort of baby-sized adapter booster seat thing for the toilet seat and I just sat on that. Potty trained within two months.

Reactions: denimchicken and Diprs2
Aimeesaurus said:
Nope, but I do have somewhat of a "core memory" from being really young. We were visiting my cousins I think. I not sure of the specifics but I think I peed myself a little bit. My dad said something about putting me back in nappies if I was gonna do that. I remember actually wanting that at the time. However, I had too much shame built up even then so I didn't just say yes lol.

In hindsight I suppose that might have been a sign of things to come lol.
I think you may be right.

Reactions: Aimeesaurus
Lily12345 said:
I was out of Nappies all together before I started special needs school age 4 years old in September 1992 :(

If I had been a bedwetter, I think it is likely I would have regularly worn on long car trips as I almost always fell asleep during long car ride up to the age of 12+. I didn't however ever wet the bed, so once I was potty trained before my 3rd birthday, pull ups and diapers were completely out of the question.... much to my disappointment.

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2 and littledub1955
Pull ups didn't exist when I was that age - it was cloth nappies and plastic pants only. I am aware that one pair of plastic pants and some nappies were retained but I have no recollection of them being used

Reactions: TenaciousDL, Diprs2 and Lyric
There was one incident when I was a 5 and my parents took me along while shopping for a new SUV. Somehow, I was allowed to drink a 20oz bottle of soda before we left. We were about 15 minutes from home and I was bursting so, dad had to make an emergency stop at a McDonalds so I could go pee.

My mom was freaking out that I was going to pee all over the car seats so she was digging around for a plastic bag and tissues. I thought it was funny.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Babyboyzen, Diprs2, TigerDL and 1 other person
quartz200420012 said:
There was one incident when I was a 5 and my parents took me along while shopping for a new SUV. Somehow, I was allowed to drink a 20oz bottle of soda before we left. We were about 15 minutes from home and I was bursting so, dad had to make an emergency stop at a McDonalds so I could go pee.

My mom was freaking out that I was going to pee all over the car seats so she was digging around for a plastic bag and tissues. I thought it was funny.
So their fault if you did

Lily12345 said:
Were you put in nappies or pull ups for days out or long trips after potty training?
I don't think so. I do remember being put in diapers at bedtime for a few months after potty training, so I think I'd remember being put in one during the day. Also, even when I was little, I was able to hold my pee for a long time without it becoming an emergency.

Lily12345 said:

Hi @Lily12345, I grew up at a farm so we didn't travel that much due to the animals. Town was also just over an hour away so I really didn't have the needs for extra protection. But there were other situations when I did need at that age. But I mostly wore for my heavy bedwetting (still do).

Yeah we travelled a lot when I was younger and having always been a bed wetter was in a nappy for travelling.

I was a bedwetter till my late teens and wore cloth diapers and plastic pants to bed. My mother had me wear diapers and plastic pants when we went on longer car trips like visiting relatives and the like, or when we went to the beach or mountains, basically anytime when the drive was long, restrooms were few and far between or anytime when boredom might result in napping, dozing off. We used to go to the drive in movie and my sister and I always wore diapers. Dad would get drinks and pop-corn and we all had fun watching the movies-double features, without having to leave the car to use the restroom. As long as we still wet our beds we were supposed to wear diapers for these occasions.

Reactions: TenaciousDL and Diprs2
I'm incontinent so not been out of nappies really,

When I was younger mum would have me wear a drynite when we were travelling so to keep from stopping so often but usually ended up changing my pull up for one of my night nappies when we arrived at our destination for the rest of the day

Reactions: BwBunny, gobphus and Diprs2
I never was put in diapers or trainers after potty training. Me and my siblings trained so well that we never wore anything but underwear travelling after training. I never had any accidents either . My mom was very against any diapers after potty training especially if she was successful. There was not turning back after training. Me and my siblings had very few accidents. I did though deep down still wish I could wear a diaper again sometimes.

Reactions: TenaciousDL and Diprs2
When I'd go on long trips with my parents when I was very young, my mom would bring a glass bottle with a lid and I'd have to pee into the bottle, something I hated.

Reactions: craigd1341, Diprs2 and BwBunny
Back