Were rewards involved in your potty training?

PurpleScorpion

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Other
This could have been as simple as a sticker chart with "underpants" as the final reward for filling it up fully, little plastic toys occasionally given out, getting an M&M for peeing or pooping, to a full "if you get potty trained we'll go to Disneyland" type deal.

Did this happen to you when you were a tot? A younger sibling or cousin? Did you apply it with your own children, if you had them?

Reactions: Cottontail and novaa
I got an M&M every time I went pee in the potty, and 2 M&Ms for #2. i loved candy so it worked pretty well for me

When I was training my parents did not do this.

The M&M reward technique (1 M&M if you empty your bladder and 2 M&Ms for the other thing) existed back then but my parents didn’t know about it until I was in college and I mentioned on the phone that I heard (in a Sociology 101 course) about it being popular in the late 1970s and (at least) the early 1980s back when I was training.

My mother told me that she never heard of this method when I told her about it being mentioned in my first Sociology course.

Knowing my parents, I doubt I got any reward except for praise from my parents. However, since I don't remember potty training at all, I have no idea if rewards were offered.

My brother used to get Smarties for staying dry four nights in a row. I never wet the bed (although I am told I was slow to get out of nappies), I used to be jealous of him being rewarded like that.

I got some rewards to get me to go on the potty. I had to keep going on the potty if I wanted hamtaro toys or smarties.

I don't remember. Vaguely remember being bribed with Scooby-Doo underwear that I couldn't wear until I stopped peeing my pants as I "wouldnt want to drown Scooby". 🤣

I don't remember if this was potty training or not. Even shortly after being potty trained, somewhere around 3-4 I still wet my pants randomly out of being stubborn and preoccupied. I'd refuse to stop whatever I was engaged in to make a bathroom trip and hold it and hold it and hold it until I couldn't make it. It was definitely a willful decision and bad habit to drag it out to the last second to maximize uninterrupted play time and not something I had no control over. 😂

Oddly this had no impact at all on my being ABDL later. That was literally started by just me being alone in a room with a box of open Pampers at 6 or 7 and just spontaneously getting goosebumps at the thought of wearing them and wondering what it feels like for no reason whatsoever. 😆😅

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Cottontail
I don't remember my own potty training, but I do remember my younger sister's. Mom kept a container of mini marshmallows in the bathroom and Sis would get a couple of those whenever she used her potty. Even though I was a sugar-crazed little kid myself, I remember eying those marshmallows very skeptically. ("Food? In the ... bathroom? Gross!")

Cottontail said:
I don't remember my own potty training, but I do remember my younger sister's. Mom kept a container of mini marshmallows in the bathroom and Sis would get a couple of those whenever she used her potty. Even though I was a sugar-crazed little kid myself, I remember eying those marshmallows very skeptically. ("Food? In the ... bathroom? Gross!")
I would've wondered about the marshmallows too, I don't blame you.

Reactions: Cottontail
I think I just got praise. My mom was pretty strict concerning the things I ate, but I had allergies. I do remember that for desert, I could get two cookies. She would say, one for each hand.

I remember a star chart I got to put stickers on when I had a dry night. I don't think it helped much and I definitley didn't outgrow having accidents (day and night) until I was much too old to be motivated by stickers anyway.

If I peed when she wanted me to mom would not yell at me, hit me or pour hot water on my penis.

• Angry
Reactions: LittleAndAlone
Ohhhh no my parents believed in that crazy man Dr Spock’s book how to raise your children . My mother would put a cloth diaper on me with a cover and lock me outside during the day to embrace me if front of the other neighbor kids . That did no good 😔

• Sad
Reactions: dogboy
Yes. I can still remember getting incentivized with candy. It helped me learn to pee in the toilet. It didn't last long though as the novelty wore off and I ultimately regressed. I don't think rewards generally work that well with potty training.

I was told that I got potty trained at my
grandparents farm one summer. It was in the Soviet Union so I’m pretty sure there were no rewards involved….

Last edited:
I mean my parents tried everything to stop my going number 2 in my nappy but I was not interested tbh haha

Back