Were nappies around in 1997?

Status
Not open for further replies.
willnotwill said:
The first adult disposables I came across was in 1977. They were listed in the Sears Catalog as Medalist Disposable Incontinent Pants. I wasn't able to find them in stores until a few years later. Attends came out in about 1981.

Attends first came into production in 1979.
Distribution across UK and European markets began the following year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
BabyTweetyBird said:
Attends first came into production in 1979.
Distribution across UK and European markets began the following year.
Found this,
full

No year with it, but it looks 80s-ish.
At first, I thought it was a fake, but the company concerned is real.

Reactions: Dohmer194, Deleted member 56273 and BobbiSueEllen
ade said:
Found this,
full

No year with it, but it looks 80s-ish.
At first, I thought it was a fake, but the company concerned is real.

This printed ad dates from the late 1980s (c. 1988-1989).

Nice find 😉

By 1997 I had quite making diapers long enough to fit myself using 2 pampers XL and switched to adult diapers. Back than they where no wheres as good as modern adult diapers, but thanks to those of us who wanted to wear diapers and enjoyed wearing diapers, the manufacturers started to listen to our demands and today we have great adult diapers to wear and use, there are many brands out there, but the best ones are geared to the AB/DL community.
So if you enjoy wearing quality adult diapers, thank your local gray hair AB/DL.

Reactions: Deleted member 56273 and BobbiSueEllen
Linette does excellent adult briefs having one of the nicest, smoothest and almost baby-soft plastic backing ever seen throughout the last 4 decades - though it's sad they didn't make plastic-backed Nannys any more.

0114010-8_L_L_L_L_L.jpg

1997 aye? Yeah nappies were disposable but they weren't modern (in the way they are now). Plastic-backed until mid (or more likely early) 1999 Pampers were a treat (and the only brand I wore as an infant and pursued as a trained wanted (if that's understandable)) as they weren't still that hour-glass like in shape. A kinda halfway house between an oblong and what's on the market today you (and I've used this term before) knew you were wearing them! Certainly in 1996 UK Pampers were wide-in-the-crotch and bulky when dry, genuinely only Tykables Waddler cuts have given me the best nostalgia etc. etc.!!!!!!!!!
Not everyone used disposable nappies for their families, I asked my in-school (secondary) therapist how she'd parented and she seemed oddly proud that she'd raised a son born in 1985 in pin-on traditionals ...some folk don't rush to embrace new products it seems.
-
BW

Reactions: Deleted member 53140
W3NTBOTHWAY5 said:
1997 aye? Yeah nappies were disposable but they weren't modern (in the way they are now). Plastic-backed until mid (or more likely early) 1999 Pampers were a treat (and the only brand I wore as an infant and pursued as a trained wanted (if that's understandable)) as they weren't still that hour-glass like in shape. A kinda halfway house between an oblong and what's on the market today you (and I've used this term before) knew you were wearing them! Certainly in 1996 UK Pampers were wide-in-the-crotch and bulky when dry, genuinely only Tykables Waddler cuts have given me the best nostalgia etc. etc.!!!!!!!!!
Not everyone used disposable nappies for their families, I asked my in-school (secondary) therapist how she'd parented and she seemed oddly proud that she'd raised a son born in 1985 in pin-on traditionals ...some folk don't rush to embrace new products it seems.
-
BW
When I asked my mother if I wore cloth or disposable diapers as a baby, she said I was in cloth diapers and pottytrained by 32 months,, (2 1/2 years).
At the age of 7 I was enjoying wearing diapers again by my own choice even though the Pampers we had in the house did not fit me properly.

BarneyTheDino said:
I know bit of a stupid question but where modern disposable nappies around then and what were they like? In the uk
Soooo this thread has 'woken up' again and people are posting on it after just under a year
...it remains your only post, it would be nice to hear an introduction from you unless you want to remain a lurker, I don't mean to pressure you and being a lurker?
I wish I'd done that for a bit tbh.
-
BW

Well all you kids! I was born in 1949 and became fascinated in the nappy that a friend of my mothers’ put on her baby. It was called Paddi Pants and came with a cotton wool soaker, Paddi pad. They were soft and pink and I desperately wanted some, I was 9/10 so 1959/60. I was a terry nappy boy until I was 3/4 when they dissappeared and I just wet the bed until I was over 12. Daytime I was sort of ok, but boarding school was truly frustrating/embarrassing/humiliating. But how is an ABDL born ... these must be some of the triggers!

W3NTBOTHWAY5 said:
Soooo this thread has 'woken up' again and people are posting on it after just under a year
...it remains your only post, it would be nice to hear an introduction from you unless you want to remain a lurker, I don't mean to pressure you and being a lurker?
I wish I'd done that for a bit tbh.
-
BW
A lurker , not by far, I have enjoyed wearing diapers for more years than most here on this site. However I dont visit this site hourly or daily, more like monthly or bi-monthly.
I have been into wearing diapers since 1971, and ever since 84, I have worn and used diapers daily.

lonnie said:
By 1997 I had quite making diapers long enough to fit myself using 2 pampers XL and switched to adult diapers. Back than they where no wheres as good as modern adult diapers, but thanks to those of us who wanted to wear diapers and enjoyed wearing diapers, the manufacturers started to listen to our demands and today we have great adult diapers to wear and use, there are many brands out there, but the best ones are geared to the AB/DL community.
So if you enjoy wearing quality adult diapers, thank your local gray hair AB/DL.

Sani Sensitive and Self Care by Nannys are by far the most high quality adult briefs to date, though there are other domestic brands I hadn't tried yet.

BobbiSueEllen said:
I wore Attends between 1988 and 2001, when they were identical to Pampers in design, appearance, fit and super-cuddly softness. They were heavenly then, the perfect adult diaper. I miss them, badly. :cry:

They also did Attends youth briefs as the 1989 ad posted by our venerable friend Adrian suggests.

Personally I never seen youth-sized Attends on local grocery stores back in the 1980s, the only sizes available were S, M and L.

From what I recall P&G began shipping Pampers, Luvs and Attends in poly bags in late 1987.

Last edited by a moderator:
1997??? Heck...

"Flashback: 1979...
Cool Pamps weren't hard to find." 🤭

Reactions: Dohmer194
Yeah, that was back when HDIS was a decent company. DOMTAR has ruined them.

• Sad
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Deleted member 56273
I wore Tena Slip Supers from 1997 and I don't think they have changed much from then with their Active fits.

BarneyTheDino said:
I know bit of a stupid question but where modern disposable nappies around then and what were they like? In the uk
A little bit of Google would have told you this and you would have read some interesting things

willnotwill said:
Yeah, that was back when HDIS was a decent company. DOMTAR has ruined them.

It appears that Domtar decided to sell their Attends business to American Industrial Products for $920 million.

BabyTweetyBird said:
It appears that Domtar decided to sell their Attends business to American Industrial Products for $920 millioIn.
American Industrial Partners.

Apologies for the mistyping.

BobbiSueEllen said:
1997??? Heck...

"Flashback: 1979...
Cool Pamps weren't hard to find." 🤭
1992 was the first year for the 6-tab design and waistband.

One-1-Vintage-Attends-Plastic-Diaper-Brief-Size-Medium.jpg

Attends from that era also featured light blue lining in the middle of the sposie.

The more crinklier and bulkier they get, much better for many of us! :love::giggle:

• Love
Reactions: SofiaInPampers, AJFan2020, BobbiSueEllen and 1 other person
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back