wearing Diapers till 15 . Is this more common today?

dpcare said:
the Goodnites Tru-Fit are long time discontinued
It is much better diaper than underwear 😅

I was still wetting my bed when I was 15 or 16 and wore depends diapers and pullups at night

JustinCace said:
How many others did you know? Did any of them ever stop 🛑?
As far as I know they all eventually stopped wearing/needing diapers though I do know of one that does or did still wear diapers into adulthood for comfort reasons. I bet I had at minimum 10 friends that wore at night at least into middle school and 2-4 on into highschool. There were probably more people than that but by highschool there are not many people that are comfortable talking about things like that even to someone they trust.

• Wow
Reactions: JustinCace
I think as whole, we are seeing the market and the society become gradually more inclusive for special needs. I can only hope it’s the stigma slowly being broken down!

I think it also goes to parents being gentler than back in our days, parenting styles being more focused on developing wellbeing instead of obedience and compliance. As an extension of that, special needs children and adults are gradually becoming more understood and accepted. You used to hide your autistic child and punish them into compliance, where now the knowledge is out there and parents of special needs children are becoming much more educated. The internet and easy availability of answers to any question you might have improve understanding elevenfold!

The stigma for adults is starting to be broken down too. It all gives me a glimmer of hope for the future of mankind!

Reactions: wetaccident
I wore until I was 15 as I was a nightly bedwetter and I don’t think it’s more common now at all. I just think that the stigma has gone down and people are more accepting about bed wetting, incontinence, and those with disabilities that have little to no control over voiding.

KenworthW900b said:
As far as I know they all eventually stopped wearing/needing diapers though I do know of one that does or did still wear diapers into adulthood for comfort reasons. I bet I had at minimum 10 friends that wore at night at least into middle school and 2-4 on into highschool. There were probably more people than that but by highschool there are not many people that are comfortable talking about things like that even to someone they trust.
Either you had many friends or you attracted bedwetters - or both? Either way it's nice that they didn't need to hide their diapers from you.

dpcare said:
products for bedwetting have been around a lot longer than Goodnites they were not as well known
Those products were available in the ‘50s through ‘80s, but their volume of their sales was several orders of magnitude lower than what P&G, and other disposable manufacturers, have managed to create today. Madison Avenue psychological sales techniques and marketing methods have changed people’s attitudes towards bed wetting products. This, and changes in parenting have caused these products sales to skyrocket and them to become ubiquitous in today’s society.

Last edited:
Zeke said:
Those products were available in the ‘50s through ‘80s, but their volume of their sales was several orders of magnitude lower than what P&G, and other disposable manufacturers, have managed to create today. Madison Avenue psychological sales techniques and marketing methods have changed people’s attitudes towards bed wetting products. This, and changes in parenting have caused these products sales to skyrocket and them to become ubiquitous in today’s society.
How can you be certain that products available in the ‘50s through ‘80 weren't ubiquitous compared to today?

JustinCace said:
How can you be certain that products available in the ‘50s through ‘80 weren't ubiquitous compared to today?
Because I grew up in that era and outside of a few magazine ads and catalog stores’ listings on a couple of pages of their catalogs they weren’t seen in public. There weren’t rows dedicated to them in big stores or grocery stores (big box stores didn’t even exist back in the ‘50s through mid ‘70s). You never saw TV ads or magazine ads pushing these products other than disposable diapers for babies. They were very limited larger sized plastic pants and a few cloth diaper products available at five and dime stores and Woolworth’s and a few drug stores or pharmacies, but they were few and far between. It was often considering a failure of the parents if infants weren’t potty trained by 24 to 30 months and adolescent bed wetting wasn’t brought up in public. I was fortunate to have parents that didn’t blame me for my bed wetting, that I experienced until age 10, but that wasn’t the case in general at that time.

Reactions: vp39 and JustinCace
Zeke said:
Because I grew up in that era and outside of a few magazine ads and catalog stores’ listings on a couple of pages of their catalogs they weren’t seen in public. There weren’t rows dedicated to them in big stores or grocery stores (big box stores didn’t even exist back in the ‘50s through mid ‘70s). You never saw TV ads or magazine ads pushing these products other than disposable diapers for babies. They were very limited larger sized plastic pants and a few cloth diaper products available at five and dime stores and Woolworth’s and a few drug stores or pharmacies, but they were few and far between. It was often considering a failure of the parents if infants weren’t potty trained by 24 to 30 months and adolescent bed wetting wasn’t brought up in public. I was fortunate to have parents that didn’t blame me for my bed wetting, that I experienced until age 10, but that wasn’t the case in general at that time.
I will second this. I was born in 1970, and there wasn't the host of products you see today available for control issues. I know my mother stopped getting me diapers for bedwetting once I outgrew the largest disposable infant diapers and it wasn't until I was 16 when Depends (back when they were decent) came out and I used those. In the meantime, there were no Goodnights or other protection to be had. Medical supply stores and a few drug stores may have carried products, but your run-of-the-mill grocery store had nothing of the sort.

If you lived through this, either you paid a lot via the specialty stores (since the sales volumes were low), you had someone make cloth ones for you (and plastic pants were tough to come by), or you had some sort of mattress protector on your bed and slept in wet/stained sheets with your room smelling of pee.

AnalogRTO said:
I will second this. I was born in 1970, and there wasn't the host of products you see today available for control issues. I know my mother stopped getting me diapers for bedwetting once I outgrew the largest disposable infant diapers and it wasn't until I was 16 when Depends (back when they were decent) came out and I used those. In the meantime, there were no Goodnights or other protection to be had. Medical supply stores and a few drug stores may have carried products, but your run-of-the-mill grocery store had nothing of the sort.

If you lived through this, either you paid a lot via the specialty stores (since the sales volumes were low), you had someone make cloth ones for you (and plastic pants were tough to come by), or you had some sort of mattress protector on your bed and slept in wet/stained sheets with your room smelling of pee.
there were a few products around but mostly were found in mail-order67503baadb97718b22519058668aefbb--water-balloons-plastic-pants.jpgthumbnail (5).jpgSANIPAC5.jpgVtg-Salk-Pro-pant-Flannel-Lined-Plastic-Vinyl-Pants.jpg945247_510000312382195_859400076_n.jpg catalogs and in the back of magazines

Reactions: WillFord384
JustinCace said:
Either you had many friends or you attracted bedwetters - or both? Either way it's nice that they didn't need to hide their diapers from you.
I don't know about attracted but maybe... I did have a ton of friends though, there were probably 20 of us in my neighborhood that were within a year or two of the same age and probably another 20 that were a little older or a little younger than that and we all played together and for the most part got along. Then you add in the kids in the neighborhood down the road which had a lake we all fished at there were definitely a lot of us! Heck when we would all go camping in the woods an onlooker may have mistaken our camping area as a tent village! So yes I definitely had many friends.

Reactions: WillFord384
slimjiminy said:
I've been IC for a couple of years now and my wife will still not say the word, nor likes me using the word "diaper". Then there are the plastic pants hanging in the closet -- when she sees them she immediately averts her eyes to somewhere else.
That sounds like my wife doesn't use the word diaper but calls it my stuff.

dpcare said:
there were a few products around but mostly were found in mail-orderView attachment 103236View attachment 103237View attachment 103238View attachment 103239View attachment 103240 catalogs and in the back of magazines
The economy of scale has certainly helped us a lot when it comes to dealing with issues like this. Look at the "Ever-Safe" product pricing and I just assumed this was roughly 1975. One dollar in 1975 is now equivalent to $5.56. So each pant/liner combo would cost over $44, additional liners would be close to $22, and a package of 50 disposable liners would be close to $50. Even the Staydry panties in an adult size (34-30" waist) is equal to almost $22 each. Not a major price difference with the reusable products compared to today, but disposables are a different matter.

We now have full disposable diapers that are in the same price range as disposable liners were so many years ago. Not only that, but purchase of them is a lot easier with how much they have proliferated into more common marketplaces. By finding them so available, there is not the huge stigma that was held before and those of us with those issues don't have to feel as bad, after all, if the products to manage this are so commonly found, the problem must be more common.

• Love
Reactions: JustinCace and Edgewater
AnalogRTO said:
I will second this. I was born in 1970, and there wasn't the host of products you see today available for control issues. Medical supply stores and a few drug stores may have carried products, but your run-of-the-mill grocery store had nothing of the sort.

This brings back plenty of memories. I had these plastic or rubber-ish pants that had long legs down to above the knees. Don't remember the official name for them. Then under those I wore heavy fleece sweats cut off to shorts and my regular underwear under that. Easier to deal with than actual cloth diapers/pins which I didn't have anyway. I could layer as much as needed, and the extra leg material on the cloth shorts helped soak it up.

The other option was pretty much just wetting the bed. When the disposables became available they weren't even that good and usually used them for travel or occasions when the other options didn't work.

tiron101 said:
I had these plastic or rubber-ish pants that had long legs down to above the knees. Don't remember the official name for them. .

Sounds like bloomers which I thought were only developed for the fetish market although the functionality sounds quite similar to the waterproof pjama.com PJ bottoms so maybe they work by spreading the liquid over a larger area?

tiron101 said:
I had these plastic or rubber-ish pants that had long legs down to above the knees.
Yeah, definitely bloomers. They've been available from most vendors of plastic pants for a long time. I didn't associate them particularly with fetish. The AC Medical website suggested that they were good for people who spend a lot of time sitting - I suspect so they wouldn't be bothered by sitting on the leg elastics of plastic pants. I do have a few bloomers but don't wear them often.
I swiped this pic off the website of fetware.com - it shows the typical size and shape.

Attachments

• RubberBloomers.jpg
    RubberBloomers.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: JustinCace and WillFord384
I do not think it is more common. It is just more aknowledged and not as much stigmatized. So marketing becomes more outfront. Incontinence is ancient it was simply kept firmly under the rug.

Cheers

vp39 said:
Yeah, definitely bloomers. They've been available from most vendors of plastic pants for a long time. I didn't associate them particularly with fetish. The AC Medical website suggested that they were good for people who spend a lot of time sitting - I suspect so they wouldn't be bothered by sitting on the leg elastics of plastic pants. I do have a few bloomers but don't wear them often.
I swiped this pic off the website of fetware.com - it shows the typical size and shape.

Yeah, bloomers are great for sitting, especially driving. I used to wear them a lot before I discovered PROTECBriefs.

These are my favorites, the KINS Shorter Leg Vinyl Bloomer.

30600VB_2048x2048.jpg

Last edited:
Back