wearing Diapers till 15 . Is this more common today?

I think a lot of parents are of the mindset that kids will choose when the diapers should go. People are busy and the stress of pushing a child to stop wearing is not worth the time. I'm in my 60s and my mom let me and my siblings wear them through our 3s. It was not a big deal. Maybe more parents think the same today.

Clothforever said:
I think a lot of parents are of the mindset that kids will choose when the diapers should go. People are busy and the stress of pushing a child to stop wearing is not worth the time. I'm in my 60s and my mom let me and my siblings wear them through our 3s. It was not a big deal. Maybe more parents think the same today.
Plus the fact that modern disposables don't feel wet when they're wet and are barely noticeable when dry. That may account for why children spend longer in nappies than they used to. Then again, I was in cloth and wasn't dry in the daytime until I was 2.5 years old (at night even later), so it's not a guarantee of early toilet training.

dpcare said:
back when Goodnites came out with their Boxer Style I remember reading that they were suggesting placing them in different locations including children's underwear aisles and the aisle where they sold bed sheets and protectors and even the laundry aisle to avoid placing them with baby diapers

I also remember they had some packaged in cans to put in those aisles

I remember this well. There was mention somewhere (maybe goodnites.com?) that they were going to start putting goodnites in the underwear section at the store so that older kids wouldn't be so self-conscious about shopping in the baby section. That way even kids that didn't wet the bed would see and talk about them, maybe even consider buying them just for fun or because they liked the print lol. I never did see them ever sold in another isle though.

I also remember the tube which was specifically made for sleepovers. It contained one goodnites boxer, and the label was made to easily peel off so that it was a plain blue cardboard tube with the goodnite rolled up inside. There was no bag, wipes, or anything else like a travel changing kid would have had, but it was fun to see a different marketing strategy. I only ever saw them in the S/M size and only at Kmart for a short amount of time. I would love to get one of them into my collection today.

I had a random thought but saw some mentioned ages put on products and wondering if they should put for older kids or can fit most teens and leave out age as their is some slim adults that wear them. I do think with products made for older kids & teens they should include waist measurements as well more so because if it turns into long term issue and they need to go to youth or adult sizes most are sold by waist/hip size some have a weight and height chart but their not accurate. Kind of prepares for the next products needed.

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192
I think there are two factors at work here:

1. Kids are getting bigger. Not just fatter, but overall bigger. My two youngest grandkids have been above the 90th percentile in height and weight from the start. My 8 year old granddaughter is the same height and weight I was at age 12. She's not a bedwetter, but if she were, she would certainly need the larger size.

Dandelion said:
Some packs were labelled up to 9- to 15 year olds.

2. I think we of the ABDL persuasion are also contributing to it. I doubt marketing guys/gals really know if its older kids using them, but they have to put SOMETHING on the pack. 9-15 is probably more acceptable then "for Fat Kids" or "Old Pervert size". Some of that stuff is done by focus groups, but some is just dartboard. Throw a larger size out there in a couple test markets and see what happens.

Maybe there are more older bedwetters. I haven't seen any stats on that, though. I think there are societal pressures both ways. More daycare = more pressure to potty train. More single parents = more stressed out kids.

HockeyGuy said:
I’m guessing that they advertise to age 15 because kids are getting bigger. So while a normal sized 15 year old could fit them, more likely it’s being worn by a larger 12 year old.
KaleidoscopeKitty said:
I always find it odd that they advertise as being specifically for up to age 15.
I'm fairly sure the '15 years' label is all to do with tax rates, any clothing for children under the age of 16 is subject to 0% vat/sales tax, nappies, even disposable ones are still classed as clothing and hence attract no tax.

Going back to the original post, the gap between baby nappies and adult incontinence products is always shrinking, depending what shop you where in there can be a seem less transition from nappy pants to pyjama pants to bladder weakness pants, some shops, these are all on the same aisle.
There often lined up in that order in my local Aldi, from size 7 nappies and pullups to age 4-7 night pants then the medium incontinence pants, Tesco is probably the best example with the junior and junior plus nappies entirely filling the gap between the baby and adults products.

oddly enough the biggest Goodnites are smaller now then when goodnites first came out

I think they don't market to larger kids like 16+ because of the stigma against diapers
usually they migrate into adult diapers at that stage

HappyNappin said:
I'm fairly sure the '15 years' label is all to do with tax rates, any clothing for children under the age of 16 is subject to 0% vat/sales tax, nappies, even disposable ones are still classed as clothing and hence attract no tax.

Going back to the original post, the gap between baby nappies and adult incontinence products is always shrinking, depending what shop you where in there can be a seem less transition from nappy pants to pyjama pants to bladder weakness pants, some shops, these are all on the same aisle.
There often lined up in that order in my local Aldi, from size 7 nappies and pullups to age 4-7 night pants then the medium incontinence pants, Tesco is probably the best example with the junior and junior plus nappies entirely filling the gap between the baby and adults products.
That’s a good theory about the VAT relief!

That really interesting that in your local Tesco they have the adult products next to the baby/ junior products. In any I’ve been in the baby/ junior products are on one aisle and the adult incontinence products are on a completely different aisle next to the feminine hygiene products (tampons/ pads etc). I’ve never been in any supermarket actually where I’ve noticed the adult incontinence products are on the same aisle as the baby nappies, (although I’m not one of those people who always takes a detour down the nappy aisles so could easily have missed it!). I had always assumed keeping nappies away from adult products in stores was intentional so that adults didn’t feel embarrassed about their pull-ups or whatever and like they were wearing nappies but could tell themselves it’s more like ‘protection’ that they’re wearing and in their head just justify it’s more like the fact women need to wear protection during their period etc. I work in social/ disability care and any incontinence products have to be referred to as pads or briefs etc, we’re absolutely not allowed to use the word nappy as I think there is still a perception that there would be stigma around an adult wearing a ‘nappy’ compared to protective underwear (even though it’s really the same thing!).

If stores are starting to market their adult incontinence products alongside their baby/ junior products maybe this is a positive in that maybe people’s mindsets are changing and their is less embarrassment/ stigma attached to needing to wear for people experiencing incontinence and it’s being more recognised as a common thing lots of people need to deal with in various degrees at different parts of their lives.

Well, I noticed more people being up front about it but no not more.common. people were wearing diapers and we didn't even think about it two bits!

KaleidoscopeKitty said:

That really interesting that in your local Tesco they have the adult products next to the baby/ junior products. In any I’ve been in the baby/ junior products are on one aisle and the adult incontinence products are on a completely different aisle next to the feminine hygiene products (tampons/ pads etc).
In my observation, the baby nappies (and older child products), incontinence and menstrual products were kept in separate sections each. It's only recently that the latter two started being sold together, perhaps because of the likes of Always getting in on the incontinence pants market. But supermarkets tend to only sell pants, not nappies.

KaleidoscopeKitty said:

I work in social/ disability care and any incontinence products have to be referred to as pads or briefs etc, we’re absolutely not allowed to use the word nappy as I think there is still a perception that there would be stigma around an adult wearing a ‘nappy’ compared to protective underwear (even though it’s really the same thing!).
That's common even in the states(assuming your in UK because it's often where nappy is used) most healthcare providers usually calls them briefs but depending on age of them some do refer to them as depends or attends but the "D" word is like a major no-no. I won't lie when I first got hurt the issue I had was when I called them briefs I usually got a pullup version which after time depending on situation sometimes refer to them as tabbed briefs or diapers and even if I called them a diaper it would be very rare if the provider in front of a patient called that now not in front of patients is a whole different story. I think it honestly goes more to dignity of a patient or respect, but because of confusion (medical they need big fancy words or language ha) for me depending on situation depends what i call them.

The only exceptions to this, because alot of the higher quality incont products come from EU I have seen manufacturers in Jr size refer to the as Junior/Children's Nappy's think Tena is one that does it, but only size and only online that does and hate to make an assumption but most that would wear that size are probably being bought by a parent so to avoid confusion they use Nappy as well so they can see both terms. But also do wonder(you maybe able to correct me) with those that are delayed I have heard them call it nappy or diaper and my thinking was even if a child/teen is delayed alotmoc aids talk to them as if weren't delayed and explain what their doing like where going to change you/r but in that situation where they might not understand other words and just use what words they have heard.

Most kids who wet at night stop before they're 10, but there are some who wet at night well into their teens. I knew a kid like that - his family just stayed out of his bedroom. Goodnights in his size might have made a big difference.

ParaRomeo said:
... some do refer to them as depends or attends but the "D" word is like a major no-no. ...
I've been IC for a couple of years now and my wife will still not say the word, nor likes me using the word "diaper". Then there are the plastic pants hanging in the closet -- when she sees them she immediately averts her eyes to somewhere else.

Reactions: sport1 and Zeke
HumanFly said:
In my observation, the baby nappies (and older child products), incontinence and menstrual products were kept in separate sections each. It's only recently that the latter two started being sold together, perhaps because of the likes of Always getting in on the incontinence pants market. But supermarkets tend to only sell pants, not nappies.
back when Goodnites came out with their Boxer Style I remember reading that they were suggesting placing them in different locations including children's underwear aisles and the aisle where they sold bed sheets and protectors and even the laundry aisle to avoid placing them with baby diapers

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 5
dpcare said:

i sure remember the boxers they were aweful
they didn't last long

do they still sell the underwear with insert or that gone too?

the Goodnites Tru-Fit are long time discontinued

Attachments

• goodnites11.jpg
    goodnites11.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 17
Doesn't seem too odd noway days. Personally, my mom kept me in diapers until I was 14 o_o

oldpppants said:
Most kids who wet at night stop before they're 10, but there are some who wet at night well into their teens. I knew a kid like that - his family just stayed out of his bedroom. Goodnights in his size might have made a big difference.
I was that kid. I wet every night until my late teens and often until my early 20's I was in nappies at night from being 15 until almost 22. My bedwetting came back in my late 40s and I have been in nappies 24/7 since turning 50.

KenworthW900b said:
I know I wore goodnites til I was 15 for bed wetting and I wasn't the only one I knew that did. I don't know anything about the statistics of teens wearing at that age but for me personally I was super happy to wake up in a wet goodnites versus a soaked, cold smelly bed! This was back in the mid 90's.
How many others did you know? Did any of them ever stop 🛑?

Back