Upcoming surgery

DiaperSWAG said:
I had a cath one time and it was not a pleasant experience, idk what happened if it was too big or what. Not going into detail but it was painful for weeks after so i am going to push that i dont want a cath.
It will depend on where the surgery was located on the body. Sounds like you're fine.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
My last surgery in September I didn't bring any diapers and was put under but upon waking up realized I had totally wet myself. I should have just brought diapers as I also got a UTI during the surgery at some point. It was more embarrassing to have my sheets changed and realize I should have just said something from the very beginning.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, cantwait, DiaperSWAG and 1 other person
I had my pre-admission testing today. It went well! They couldn’t answer if i could wear a diaper or not for the surgery but they said the nurse on the day of the surgery will let me know. But they did document that i do wear diapers for my ic and had to answer a few simple questions.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, BabyAby123, BigAl2 and 2 others
They cathed me for mine. That caused my 1st UTI that resulted in me going septic. When i went for my pre op. The nurse said a cath is not ordered.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
antgjuy said:
I wish you the very best of luck with your surgery! You should certainly tell the hospital about your incontinence issue which you use diapers to manage. You say that your surgery will be done on an outpatient basis, which means that, unless some complication arises, you won't be in hospital overnigh. That means you probably won't be having a hospital staff member changing your diaper more than maybe once. Nevertheless, assuming that you use high-capacity diapers on a regular basis, you should take a couple of your own diapers with you. Hospitals generally buy low quality diapers that won't last you more than two or three hours.
I bring my own diapers with me. There are far superior than the ones they supply.

Reactions: BigAl2 and BobbiSueEllen
Surgery went well. The nurse had me keep my diaper on and good thing she did i woke up soaked. My wife was able to change me and get me dressed. I am in a good amount of pain and it’s difficult getting around but these high capacity diapers are a life saver right now

Reactions: BabyAby123
You had your diaper on for the surgery? I don't see how. They either cut through the glute. Or from the side/front. Mine was done towards the front. Muscle sparing procedure.
1711649055678.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
BigAl1 said:
You had your diaper on for the surgery? I don't see how. They either cut through the glute. Or from the side/front. Mine was done towards the front. Muscle sparing procedure.
View attachment 132991
I had my left foot/ankle operated on

• Wow
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and BigAl2
My error. I had you mistaken for someone who was having hip surgery. I apologize.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and DiaperSWAG
I have a laparoscopic surgery coming up later this year and wonder what they end up doing about my incontinence. I’m not really worried about it either way, just more curious.
it’s my 2nd procedure ever and 1st since incontinence. I expect they cath me after I’m under and live with it for a day. Find out eventually.

I’ve had a lot of surgery over the last 12 years - four spinal ops and most recently a hip replacement. I wear nappies 24/7 and always take my own in - Tena Slip Maxi Active Fit. When had my hip replacement they removed my nappy as they needed to cut into the glute and I imagine it was probably wet anyway. When I woke up in the recovery suite they had put me into a hospital nappy. Not great quality or very absorbent. That was very soon wet and so I was changed into one of my own. The nurses were all great and very understanding. I was in hospital for longer than expected and needed help changing throughout.

• Wow
I should probably have added that the hospital knows not to catheterise me as I always get a UTI, so they are used to me wearing nappies.

Back