DiaperSWAG

From Cleveland, Ohio
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
Figured this would be the most supportive forum to post in; not looking for disrespectful replies. Little background first; i have always been a bedwetter with moderate day accidents. As i got older (now 28) my accidents got worse of the years, probably because i am also an abdl and love wearing/using diapers. So its never really bothered me to the point where i thought hey i should go see a urologist about this. I now have to wear 24/7 just for urine and i have been for a couple years now. I do have plans to see a dr about it in the future as it should be looked into but i have another step to take first in the meantime. I am getting reconstructive foot/ankle surgery at the end of the month. I am sure i need to address my incontinence to the nurse doing my pre-admission testing? I am having outpatient surgery and will be at-least bed bound for two weeks, so i have plans for trying to stay more clean down there; i also have my wife who is willing to help change me also. Just looking any recommendations or helpful tips o even things you experienced will be helpful if you have any.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Stephie1049, MegaLugia and 1 other person
I wish you the very best of luck with your surgery! You should certainly tell the hospital about your incontinence issue which you use diapers to manage. You say that your surgery will be done on an outpatient basis, which means that, unless some complication arises, you won't be in hospital overnigh. That means you probably won't be having a hospital staff member changing your diaper more than maybe once. Nevertheless, assuming that you use high-capacity diapers on a regular basis, you should take a couple of your own diapers with you. Hospitals generally buy low quality diapers that won't last you more than two or three hours.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Stephie1049, MegaLugia and 3 others
antgjuy said:
I wish you the very best of luck with your surgery! You should certainly tell the hospital about your incontinence issue which you use diapers to manage. You say that your surgery will be done on an outpatient basis, which means that, unless some complication arises, you won't be in hospital overnigh. That means you probably won't be having a hospital staff member changing your diaper more than maybe once. Nevertheless, assuming that you use high-capacity diapers on a regular basis, you should take a couple of your own diapers with you. Hospitals generally buy low quality diapers that won't last you more than two or three hours.
Yes i use high-capacity diapers. I planned on asking the nurse if i should bring my own diapers; i have heard about the low quality diapers hospitals use. And non-printed diapers.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Stephie1049, MegaLugia and 2 others
I was in hospital a few years ago at the start of Covid and On the admission process we went through the fact I have an upper denture so a denture cup was provided and then I told the nurse I was incontinent. She asked if I needed help changing and as I could walk said no. She then took me to the nappy cupboard, showed me the stock (good with pull ups and nappies) and showed me where to dispose of my wet nappy. Very matter of fact and no embarrassment. Very soon all of us walking wounded were discharged to make way for Covid patients.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Stephie1049, DiaperSWAG and 2 others
I always wear for my surgerys. The hospital knows im susceptible to UTI'S. So no caths. But yes tell the pre-admin team.

Last edited:
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Stephie1049, DiaperSWAG and 2 others
Hospitals may not be keen on letting people bring in diapers from outside, unless certain circumstances prevail. The reason why is because certain hospital diapers--baby, child or adult--are made to weigh the exact same each, in each respective size, dry; that dry weight (called "tare") is programmed into a scale. A nurse will usually weigh a wet diaper to monitor bladder voiding volume; the scale deducts the dry weight out and gives the volume inside the diaper. Badda-bing! 🥳🤭

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, DiaperSWAG, Constantlydamp and 4 others
good luck with your surgery! i'd definitely say bring it up and see what they have to say, if they're okay with bringing your own or like BobbiSueEllen said, if they'd prefer for you to use theirs. hope everything goes well with your recovery!

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, DiaperSWAG, MegaLugia and 2 others
I have worn Tykables cammies to my last two surgical hospital admissions. Never a word said. I have only had help changing once as I was able to do it myself. Honesty is the best policy.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, DiaperSWAG, BigAl1 and 1 other person
Teddy02 said:
I have worn Tykables cammies to my last two surgical hospital admissions. Never a word said. I have only had help changing once as I was able to do it myself. Honesty is the best policy.
I was thinking about wearing my blue trest diapers, i will definitely need help changing after the surgery

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Teddy02, BobbiSueEllen and 2 others
BobbiSueEllen said:
Hospitals may not be keen on letting people bring in diapers from outside, unless certain circumstances prevail. The reason why is because certain hospital diapers--baby, child or adult--are made to weigh the exact same each, in each respective size, dry; that dry weight (called "tare") is programmed into a scale. A nurse will usually weigh a wet diaper to monitor bladder voiding volume; the scale deducts the dry weight out and gives the volume inside the diaper. Badda-bing! 🥳🤭
In my hospital we just ask for an extra dry diaper, so we can 'zero' or tare the scale if the patient uses their own diapers and we need to weight their output. Some patients have sensitive skin or allergies and have to use specific diapers for certain reasons.
So I suggest just bringing some extra, if this is the case. Healthcare workers are so use to diapers and other medical devices for health issues, we don't bat an eye at it. Just be upfront and they will let you know what you options are. Every facility is different, some may provide them (though as stated they are usually cheap quality), and some don't provide them at all.
I hope your surgery goes well and you have a quick and comfortable recovery 😊

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, EcoIncon, Canadianfalls and 4 others
Jamison86 said:
In my hospital we just ask for an extra dry diaper, so we can 'zero' or tare the scale if the patient uses their own diapers and we need to weight their output. Some patients have sensitive skin or allergies and have to use specific diapers for certain reasons.
So I suggest just bringing some extra, if this is the case. Healthcare workers are so use to diapers and other medical devices for health issues, we don't bat an eye at it. Just be upfront and they will let you know what you options are. Every facility is different, some may provide them (though as stated they are usually cheap quality), and some don't provide them at all.
I hope your surgery goes well and you have a quick and comfortable recovery 😊
Out of curiosity, whats the reasoning behind weighing the diaper? I am sure that wont be needed for me since i am having foot/ankle outpatient surgery.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
DiaperSWAG said:
Out of curiosity, whats the reasoning behind weighing the diaper? I am sure that wont be needed for me since i am having foot/ankle outpatient surgery.
Measuring how much you put out.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and DiaperSWAG
Good luck with the surgery.

The hospitals are used to all sorts of problems so just ask before you have to go for the surgery.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, BigAl1 and DiaperSWAG
Seasonedcitizen said:
Good luck with the surgery.

The hospitals are used to all sorts of problems so just ask before you have to go for the surgery.
I have to go to the hospital and do pre-admission testing on Thursday with a nurse so i figured she would be the one to tell and ask questions to. Thanks 😊

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Seasonedcitizen, BigAl1 and 1 other person
DiaperSWAG said:
This is done just to measure how much a patient urinate, if the provider is concerned with fluid balance. This shouldn't be the case for an outpatient procedure.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Seasonedcitizen, DiaperSWAG and 1 other person
I had a knee surgery when I was a teenager. The hospital knew from my chart that I was IC. That morning my nurse removed my diaper and put on a cath. After the surgery they finally removed the cath and put on my diaper. It really wasn't difficult. Of course I had my diaper changed during the evening. The next morning I had had a BM while sleeping (as usual). I was still half asleep when I felt the nurse trying to change me. It did feel a little weird since I hadn't been changed since I was a kid. But when you're in the hospital and they have my chart, it's not a problem. They're used to it.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Canadianfalls, Seasonedcitizen and 1 other person
Good luck. I just had surgery to lengthen my achilles and a few other tendons back in december.

• Wow
DiaperSWAG said:
Figured this would be the most supportive forum to post in; not looking for disrespectful replies. Little background first; i have always been a bedwetter with moderate day accidents. As i got older (now 28) my accidents got worse of the years, probably because i am also an abdl and love wearing/using diapers. So its never really bothered me to the point where i thought hey i should go see a urologist about this. I now have to wear 24/7 just for urine and i have been for a couple years now. I do have plans to see a dr about it in the future as it should be looked into but i have another step to take first in the meantime. I am getting reconstructive foot/ankle surgery at the end of the month. I am sure i need to address my incontinence to the nurse doing my pre-admission testing? I am having outpatient surgery and will be at-least bed bound for two weeks, so i have plans for trying to stay more clean down there; i also have my wife who is willing to help change me also. Just looking any recommendations or helpful tips o even things you experienced will be helpful if you have any.
I was literally just about to do a similar post!
I have also been urinary incontinent for a few years now. I’m having knee surgery done in May.
Yes, let the medical staff handling your care know (nurses, doctors, surgeon).
When I had my previous surgery (several years ago, on my elbow), I was having some problems with urinary incontinence, but not as much as now, so I wore a diaper. The medical staff were totally fine with it. The only comment I really got was when I laid down on the operating table and one nurse asked why I was wearing a Tena, the other nurse just said that I occasionally had problems with my bladder, and nothing else was said. When I informed the nurse at pre-op check in, she said that it would be fine for me to leave it on the whole time, and that I would probably be more comfortable than using a catheter.
I know you mentioned using high capacity diapers, that’s good. Even when I didn’t need high capacity, I still wore a Tena Super at my last surgery. And it was a good thing I did! My body seemed to like the anesthesia, and I didn’t wake up for hours after they thought I would, and I was completely soaked!
So yes, wear a good diaper that you would be comfortable in. Is there any way to contact your surgeon and ask to wear a diaper rather than have a catheter? Bring another diaper to change into after, much better than hospital diapers! When I got changed after my surgery, I forgot to bring another with me, so I was put into one that was 2 sizes too big, and leaked everywhere instantly. Then I was given those mesh panties and large pads that women use after giving birth. Much better than the leaky too big diaper, but ultimately could have been avoided if I brought another diaper with me.

So with all that, any good high capacity diapers that anyone recommends for when I recover from knee surgery? (Menisus and MCL repair) I will be staying with a family member for a week or so after surgery, and then going home to my roommate (neither know I am incontinent). Biggest problem is that the bathroom is quite far from both rooms, so I will definitely use more protection than normal. Any ideas for something that won’t be too obvious?

greatlake5 said:
I had a knee surgery when I was a teenager. The hospital knew from my chart that I was IC. That morning my nurse removed my diaper and put on a cath. After the surgery they finally removed the cath and put on my diaper. It really wasn't difficult. Of course I had my diaper changed during the evening. The next morning I had had a BM while sleeping (as usual). I was still half asleep when I felt the nurse trying to change me. It did feel a little weird since I hadn't been changed since I was a kid. But when you're in the hospital and they have my chart, it's not a problem. They're used to it.
I had a cath one time and it was not a pleasant experience, idk what happened if it was too big or what. Not going into detail but it was painful for weeks after so i am going to push that i dont want a cath.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Seasonedcitizen and BobbiSueEllen
DiaperSWAG said:
I had a cath one time and it was not a pleasant experience, idk what happened if it was too big or what. Not going into detail but it was painful for weeks after so i am going to push that i dont want a cath.
It will depend on where the surgery is located on the body.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and DiaperSWAG
Back