Uncommon Wearing Advice?

AnotherGundalian

Diaper Changes ARE The Punishment
Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Heya hey! So I've been wearing diapers every now and then for at least a year now, and whenever I see wearing tips, it's usually all the same. Get powder or creams, wear the right size, poke holes in the primary layer, etc, etc. But even after all that, there's still always something that gives frustration one way or another.

What are some tips that you wish you heard before wearing, or some you don't see often enough?

If you want to give anything specific, I'm thinking of going double-layered for my long weekend, so anything for that would especially be appreciated.

Reactions: TigerDL and PearlandDL
If using a booster pad make sure the booster pad does not cover the leg gaurds / leak gaurds
Lot of frustration when I first started wetting heavier and thought man alive boosters are useless till someone said make sure they don't cover the leg gaurds and I was like oh duh such a simple explanation
haven't had issues since

also an other tip I hand out all the time
change your diaper frequently

Yes some diapers might be designed to last 12+ hours but your skin doesn't do well in dark & moist

change frequently & clean skin well between changes 😊

Reactions: TrashPanda01, AnotherGundalian and Lethdale
There is a physical capacity/flow through limit. I can use 2 regular boosters in a thick diaper but 2 overnight boosters have more absorbing capacity than you can use. Boosters are better than double diapers but sometimes a double can be fun and feels different. A third diaper to go super thick might sound like a good idea but the same problem, you can never really use it. Don't poke a few holes in the inner diaper, cut long slits with a razor knife, end to end (minus a hand width at the front and back). 3-5 slits depending on the width and size of the diaper, stay an inch or more from the sides.

Don't go to bed with a diaper that has been wet for more than an hour or so or that you have wet in more than once or twice.

It's fine to drink lots of fluids but know that there is a limit there too. Too much water can make you sick and cause other issues, don't over do it.

Enjoy your planned special diapered times but avoid the binge/purge cycle. If you want to purge, just box everything up and store it. It's expensive to buy it all again. Same goes for binges, set rules for yourself and follow them. If you can't shower on your long weekend, clean well and make sure to have some open air time for a few hours every day.

Reactions: eastcoastdl, PearlandDL, TrashPanda01 and 1 other person
tango79 said:
There is a physical capacity/flow through limit. I can use 2 regular boosters in a thick diaper but 2 overnight boosters have more absorbing capacity than you can use. Boosters are better than double diapers but sometimes a double can be fun and feels different. A third diaper to go super thick might sound like a good idea but the same problem, you can never really use it. Don't poke a few holes in the inner diaper, cut long slits with a razor knife, end to end (minus a hand width at the front and back). 3-5 slits depending on the width and size of the diaper, stay an inch or more from the sides.

Don't go to bed with a diaper that has been wet for more than an hour or so or that you have wet in more than once or twice.

Ooh, good stuff here, thanks! Couple questions though.

What kind of boosters would you suggest? Going for big numbers here so overnight would (presumably) be the best call.
And the slits, wouldn't that just make the SAP layer spill out and such, or is that not really a problem?

(also to clarify it's more than a couple holes I'm doing, I use a Wartenburg Wheel to make hundreds of tiny holes)

I don't have easy access to a huge range of products so I only use the Rearz brand diapers and boosters (their main warehouse is in my country so reasonable shipping vs competitors). One of their Elite plus overnight diapers (available in a few versions and prints) and up to 2 of their overnight boosters but I actually prefer just one booster or an overnight and a regular.

I haven't used any double diapers in a long while but, I cut the inner diaper with the plastic up, stretched on a table and then place the outer diaper on it and put both on together. That way any SAP falls into the outer diaper. Fasten the tapes on the inner, then outer. It helps to lean on a table or chair with your backside so th outer layer stays put. The challenge is tiny holes are easily clogged by swelled SAP and stuffing. Many small slits would work too but I find if the holes are to small then you don't get very good flow into the outer layer and the inner gets leak level soaked before the outer has a chance to fill up. Take them off and wrap them as a single unit to avoid a mess.

OK, that is way more 'Uncommon Advice' then I have shared in a long time.

Reactions: AnotherGundalian
AnotherGundalian said:
Heya hey! So I've been wearing diapers every now and then for at least a year now, and whenever I see wearing tips, it's usually all the same. Get powder or creams, wear the right size, poke holes in the primary layer, etc, etc. But even after all that, there's still always something that gives frustration one way or another.

What are some tips that you wish you heard before wearing, or some you don't see often enough?

If you want to give anything specific, I'm thinking of going double-layered for my long weekend, so anything for that would especially be appreciated.
1. Fluff your diapers before wearing
2. Trim/shave downstairs - makes for easier cleanup and less smell
3. Use lotion on your diaper area followed by Vaseline (petroleum jelly) as a barrier cream; this will give baby soft skin & you’ll never get a rash again.
4. Find a diaper that fits your body best. It’ll make wearing 10 times better

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen and Lethdale
Don’t think that your diaper has infinite capacity. Leaks at home aren’t a problem but leaks in public are. Use enough diaper to last your outing if you are not going to have a chance to change. My trips are short but I always leave with a dry diaper.

Reactions: LiddleBigBoy, AnotherGundalian and Lethdale
When using a booster or doubling up diapers, I sometimes like to use the outer layer first by itself, then add the booster or other diaper inside. So I will wear a diaper, use it fully, and then add a booster or 2 inside the soaked diaper. I don't double often, but similarly, you can use a diaper fully, and if you don't want to give up the bulk but need more capacity or need to change, you can put on a fresh diaper and put on the used diaper over it (with or without slits, depending how thoroughly you used the outer diaper).

For boosters this is especially helpful since boosters often cause premature leaks when you pee and it goes over the leg guards, since the booster gets really thick and is the first to absorb pee before the diaper can get properly soaked. When you use the diaper fully first, there isn't a thick booster that gets in the way of wetting the main diaper to its fullest, you don't need to worry about flow-through of the booster.

This method might also be beneficial for your skin. If you're wearing a boosted or doubled diaper, you're probably spending a lot of time in that wet diaper. By adding a dry layer under, your skin isn't touching the same pee over the whole wearing session. It can also give you a chance to clean yourself up a bit with a wipe to clean your skin even more.

Reactions: AnotherGundalian
I don't double diapering. For sleeping I add a quality booster (Eternadry 2-xl contour 10.5" x 27"). Flow through with no plastic backing. I sometimes use these boosters when I'm unable to change during the day. I've never used a double diaper. Just using an Eternadry booster with my diaper is fine enough. They're thick enough (and plastic pants) that I rarely leak (flash floods). If it's during the day I'll use compression shorts to hide the bulk. Especially when they get really wet (or dirty).

Last edited:
I have noticed that some diapers don't wick the fluid away very well, so I've started using the cloth boosters/socks/wash cloths which have been extremely helpful with preventing leaks and preventing a noticeable bulge in the front during the day. Able to use more of the diapers capacity.

Back