UK space diapers at 3pm !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my sample today and have just put on the medium. I'm a 38-40 waist and the fit is perfect for me. If you are looking for a comfortable, 'baby-style' diaper this may be the best. If I was wearing only for comfortable fit, bulk and look, this would be my top pick. Have not tested it yet and have heard mixed reviews. I'll update later tonight.

Update. Absorbency was very good. No leaks after three medium wettings. Wearing the large to bed tonight. Fit was good as well. So far I am pleasantly surprised!

Last edited:
I like them better than I thought I would. I was a little leery because I found the Comfycare and Rearz Spoiled a little too wide between the legs, and expected the same from this. And they are wide, but softer and more flexible than the other two, so they feel more comfortable to wear. Absorbency was excellent. They're certainly on the expensive side, but then you do use fewer of them. I'm hoping that they may drop the prices after they've gouged the early adopters.

Akastus said:
Ordered a pack. Looks like £1.80 per nappy if you order by the case, £1.50 if you claim the VAT exemption. Though I'm surprised that they offer than on what they know is a product targeted at the fetish market.

As far as I know, the law doesn't actually make a differentiation based on what the product is going to be used for. It's like cake - you don't pay VAT on cake, regardless of if you're going to eat it... or use it as a fetish object, you know? ;)

I also think that the very limited market for companies like Nappies R Us would mean that it's probably not worth the tax man's time to go after the very minimal amount of VAT that they could get. Maybe they could start by getting Starbucks and Vodafone to pay their fair share before coming after the little guys :)

NikJ said:
As far as I know, the law doesn't actually make a differentiation based on what the product is going to be used for. It's like cake - you don't pay VAT on cake, regardless of if you're going to eat it... or use it as a fetish object, you know? ;)

I also think that the very limited market for companies like Nappies R Us would mean that it's probably not worth the tax man's time to go after the very minimal amount of VAT that they could get. Maybe they could start by getting Starbucks and Vodafone to pay their fair share before coming after the little guys :)

Cake is explicitly VAT-exempt. Adult nappies are assessed at standard rate, with an exemption permitted to people who actually need them. Which makes no sense at all, objectively, since the majority of people purchasing them presumably need them.

Starbucks and Vodafone DO pay their share of VAT. It's a tax that's hard to avoid. It's Corporation Tax that they evade. And HMRC do occasionally make an example of small companies, precisely in order to avoid the idea that small fish can get away with tax avoidance with impunity. Besides, not charging VAT to the customer where it should be paid does not directly benefit the company.

Akastus said:
I like them better than I thought I would. I was a little leery because I found the Comfycare and Rearz Spoiled a little too wide between the legs, and expected the same from this. And they are wide, but softer and more flexible than the other two, so they feel more comfortable to wear. Absorbency was excellent. They're certainly on the expensive side, but then you do use fewer of them. I'm hoping that they may drop the prices after they've gouged the early adopters.
Just what I think of them :thumbsup: I hope betterdry can match up to them if not better and cheaper
p/s I'm wearing a space D while typing this :biggrin:

I've used both samples And
miss them already. Ordered a case this morning.

Akastus said:
Perfectly understandable. The test is going to be how well the plain white version of the Space sells. The problem is that even if it is a superior product, there are still going to people who are extremely uncomfortable buying from a company that is AB-oriented.

Out of interest, how much evidence do you have of ICs purchasing Space? Beyond the stated intentions of people on this board?

What are the plain white ones? I have no interest in coloured or ab style nappies. I like plain white nappies, the current ones I use are tender care and not very good for wetting, my main reason for wearing is comfort. I'm always searching for a better nappy, they have to be plastic backed, I hate this new fangled cloth like covering!

Akastus said:
Starbucks and Vodafone DO pay their share of VAT. It's a tax that's hard to avoid. It's Corporation Tax that they evade.
Sorry, should've been clearer - I did indeed mean corporation tax rather than VAT. When I said "their fair share", I meant in general, not pertaining particularly to VAT.

Anyhow, I thought that incontinence products were zero-rated 'on the shelf', and the only need for a declaration is when you're buying a particularly large quantity? I imagine it would be logistically difficult for a major retailer like Boots to get VAT exemption forms from every customer who wanted to buy a pack of Tena pants or whatever.

Also, to keep this (relatively) on topic and not all about tax - I love the Space Diapers, got some a couple of weeks back when I was in the USA. They're awesome! I like the design, though I would love to see a Cushies type design on diapers this thick, as the current space design doesn't feel overly diaper-ish to me, if you know what I mean. But feel and performance wise, they're awesome.

woolybobs said:
What are the plain white ones? I have no interest in coloured or ab style nappies. I like plain white nappies, the current ones I use are tender care and not very good for wetting, my main reason for wearing is comfort. I'm always searching for a better nappy, they have to be plastic backed, I hate this new fangled cloth like covering!

ABU have indicated that they will be producing a plain white version to the same design as the Space, releasing around the same time as Little Pawz, sometime in January.

Little pawz eh,? That's a new one one me.
I can't wait to see what the new comficare is going to be like. Whatever changes are planned it's bound to be cheaper to produce even if the cost goes up or remains the same.

woolybobs said:
Little pawz eh,? That's a new one one me.
I can't wait to see what the new comficare is going to be like. Whatever changes are planned it's bound to be cheaper to produce even if the cost goes up or remains the same.

Call me a pessimest, but cheaper to produce means not as much capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back