Trans Folks: How Do You Feel About "Gendered' Toys From Your Childhood

I'm Transmasc and I have an affinity for the gendered/traditionally female toys I grew up with.. And personally I'm comfortable with it! I have no shame in the things I enjoy.. I've never really associated my gender with what toys I played with so I guess it was never an issue for me?

Reactions: mistykitty
I’m not trans but I’ve been a sissy boy/guy most my life. I like cute things and like to look cute which in the 70s/80s most hated when kids played outside of their gender. I’m glad that as time progresses men don’t have to always be strong and women don’t have to be weak. Also my dad didn’t care about all that as long as we were healthy and happy all he cared. I love playing with dolls and dress ups. I also played with toy cars and super hero stuff. Let us be who we are.

Agender-Genderfluid person here.

Even when i was little i was drawn to mostly gender neutral toys like legos, dinos, art supplies, crafts, etc. but also enjoyed playing with toys that my sister had that were definitely marketed towards girls like littlest pet shop or barbies, etc.

Do feel a little weird about a lot of masc toys that i played with back then becuse as an adult i realize now just how many of them glorify violence. Like GI Joe or army men, or even most action figures. I had lots of toy guns too. But it feels strange now cause my beliefs are pretty opposed to the violent concepts some of those toys represented.

When in little space nowadays i tend to play with whatever toys i want regardless of what gender they were made to be targeted towards. Still find myself mostly drawn to toys like art supplies or crafting supplies and legos and the like.

One of my favorite toys was drawing my own paper characters and locations, and then cutting them out and making a little story for them. A blank sheet of paper, scissors, and crayons were all i needed back then and now to express myself in whatever way i wanted. No gender barriers on my blank sheets of paper, haha!

I never had any strange feelings over gender-specific toys, as I always had my Hot Wheels, Matchbox, and male/boy-oriented toys. Other than that, it was non-gender-specific 'mastermind' toys like a Meccano set, etc.

In later years, I still found myself still building with Meccano sets, and toy cars, well beyond the 'suggested' age on the box.

FtM speaking. There are a couple things I still find nostalgic, like Littlest Pet Shop or My Little Pony, but most girly things just make me feel bitter. Bitter that I was put into a sparkly pink box before I was even born. At least I can play with monster trucks as an adult.
Furbies were the shit though.

Reactions: PinkAndLittle
Maybe I’m just being stupid but I don’t really understand the problem with gendered toys. I’m a heterosexual man but I don’t feel like I cannot buy certain things because they are not labeled as being manly. I like the things I like and no label is going to change that.

I’ve read some of the replies saying that some people don’t like it if a boy wants a girly toy because it isn’t masculine but I don’t think putting a Barbie in a gray box and selling it as a gender neutral toy is going to change that. Unfortunately some people are way to obsessed about what other people do and think that everybody should act like them and like what they like.

Reactions: NihilisticPuppet
Back