Towns with strange names

KittyninjaW said:
Hell, Michigan. Also, not really weird but I wanna mention my town Seymour, Missouri.
I find it funny that when I used to see Hell, Michigan as people's locations on FB, I thought it was a joke. But you can literally take a roadtrip in Michigan from Hell to Christmas if you wanted.

One location I don't think anybody mentioned yet is Nothing. Arizona. An online friend pointed this one out to me years ago, thought they were joking at first until I googled it. Ever since the area was abandoned by the original owner in 2005, all that remains is a small boarded up building and a foundation where the gas station used to be. I believe a guy tried buying it in 2008 to turn it into a pizza joint, but it only lasted until 2011 when nothing was once again, full of nothing.

EDIT: I did further digging and found out the original owner of the gas station passed away in 2017 at the age of 86

Last edited:
Reactions: AttilaThePun
Reactions: AttilaThePun, Kirisin, HappyCamper and 1 other person
ade said:
Don't worry, you get better with practice 🤭
I've seen the Intercourse sign before (pre-internetish)... could've been on a comedy roadtrip film (got National Lampoon's in mind, but I'm not sure).

Anyway, Kalamazoo, Michigan!
And Ade's in France, too (working for the UN, trying to pacify all those cross ants).
K-zoo, Michigan. Michigan is home to a lot of fun and strange names due to our ties with the native Americans who originally were the settlers of the state. There is a video on YouTube of "Texans Pronounce Michigan Names." Worth a chuckle to check out.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Kirisin and ade
Chimera said:
I find it funny that when I used to see Hell, Michigan as people's locations on FB, I thought it was a joke. But you can literally take a roadtrip in Michigan from Hell to Christmas if you wanted.

One location I don't think anybody mentioned yet is Nothing. Arizona. An online friend pointed this one out to me years ago, thought they were joking at first until I googled it. Ever since the area was abandoned by the original owner in 2005, all that remains is a small boarded up building and a foundation where the gas station used to be. I believe a guy tried buying it in 2008 to turn it into a pizza joint, but it only lasted until 2011 when nothing was once again, full of nothing.

EDIT: I did further digging and found out the original owner of the gas station passed away in 2017 at the age of 86
In Michigan, we not only have Hell, but Paradise. We also have a town in the U.P. named Gay. It has a bar... You can imagine the novelty hats they sell there.

• Haha
Reactions: AttilaThePun, Kirisin and Chimera
We have a Paradise Tx as well , oh and then theirs Dime Box and Cooney .

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Kirisin
There is a "NO Where" Arizona North West of Phoenix.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and ade
PaddedMI said:
K-zoo, Michigan. Michigan is home to a lot of fun and strange names due to our ties with the native Americans who originally were the settlers of the state. There is a video on YouTube of "Texans Pronounce Michigan Names." Worth a chuckle to check out.
Saw the Wisconsin videos first (as per YT suggestions).
🤣

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Kirisin and PaddedMI
We also have Ding Dong , Frog knot , Noodle, Mule Shoe , Sulfer Spings, Tex Arkana , Sweet Water,
Heck I could even find more. After all this is Texas and we gotta do everything big including funny names.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Kirisin and ade
As a Truck Driver I see a lot of what I think are really kool names. I found that these names are are closely related to Indian tribes. Exspecially like a few town/city names in Wisconsin. Oconomowoc Fond du Lak, Sheboygan. In Indiana there is Mishawaka. In Idaho there is Coeur d'Alene. In Virgina there is Tom's Brook. In Washington there is Snohomish, Snoqualmie, Enumclaw, Chelan in Montana there is Blackfoot, and Crow Agency Deer Lodge Lame Deer. In Wyoming Shoshone, and Hells Half Acre, Thermopolis, Casper, and Cheyenne, and my personal favorite Chug Water. Nebraska has Winnebago. I can go on and on. It's really kool to find strange names for City's and Towns in America.

Last edited:
Reactions: AttilaThePun and HappyCamper
stinkape said:
We also have Ding Dong , Frog knot , Noodle, Mule Shoe , Sulfer Spings, Tex Arkana , Sweet Water,
Heck I could even find more. After all this is Texas and we gotta do everything big including funny names.
Arklatex that would be on the corner of Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas. And Texhoma bordering Texas and Oklahoma and as you said Texarkana obviously on the border of Arkansas and Texas.

Last edited:
Pretty much any rural community in New Brunswick, Canada. Including – but not limited to – Mactaquac, Apohaqui, and who could ever forget about Nauwigewauk?

stinkape said:
We have a Paradise Tx as well , oh and then theirs Dime Box and Cooney .
Um lol Paradise Montana where a recent train load of beer derailed. Got a few fish drunk but otherwise Montanas best kept seceret.
Fishkill NY and Fishtrap WA and

Last edited:
While all those 'new world' First Nations placenames sound strange to English-speaking ears, Dave Gorman reminded me of the plight of foreigners in Britain who'd encounter towns and everyday words with 'ough' [and spelling variants] in them (Loughborough University being part of his sketch).

We have a Bacon Tx and Egypt Tx , just to add a couple more

There's Sweets in Cornwall!

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Kirisin and stinkape
Here's a couple who are actually funny (wedding article in the paper). 2 towns in Illinois called Normal and Oblong. The article said - "Normal woman with an Oblong man marry."

Last edited:
Reactions: AttilaThePun, stinkape and Kirisin
There's a forgotten town in southern New Jersey called Batstow. I've been there several times.

There's a "Fluffy Landing" FL, ironically and unfortunately, getting hit with a tornado right now most likely.

I saw somebody mention Nowhere, AZ. There's also a Why, AZ.

I grew up near Ware, MA. You can imagine the jokes people made about that one.

Chili, NY

For some reason everyone there pronounces it "chy-ly" and both syllables rhyming with sky.

I refuse and pronounce it the same way you did when you read the first line of this post :geek:

Back