Tips on modding pacifiers?

bibi2205

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I'll try to keep the backstory short: Over the last 20 years or so I've used and collected many, many pacifiers from various brands (Avent, bibi, Nuk, Dodie, Mam, Tommee Tippee, Suavinex, Bibs, Chicco, ...) but my favorites will always be the classic (90's/2000's) bibi pacifiers as that was the brand I grew up with. I still have one of my original baby paci's and even though it's discolored and has a hole in it from chewing when I was a little boy, I will never, ever get rid of that one. I've also tried some adult pacifiers (like a modded Nuk with a Nuk 5 teat and the big silicone ones) but I prefer the real baby pacifiers because of their cute designs. Rearz has some cute designs but still can't match the real baby designs for me.

It's been a long lived dream of reviving my old bibi pacifier with a new (bibi) teat but I haven't dared trying to open one up yet because I'm worried I will ruin it completely. I have a pretty big collection of new-in-the-box and used ones I can experiment with but any pacifier that I'd break would be one too many. So I recently started looking into modding other brands as I've seen Nuk, Mam and Avent pacifiers with adult teats on them but they're usually pretty expensive for 1 paci. Apparently Nuk's are pretty hard to open but Mam and Avent (Ultra Air) are supposedly easier. So why not start easy and work my way up, right?

As it turns out, opening Mam pacifiers is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, especially with the classic ones. I know they have been discussed here before but the best tip I can give you (=found online) with those is to use a simple bottle opener (put a piece of paper towel between the opener and the knob to avoid damaging it) and it pops right off. The Mam Air/Perfect/Supreme use a slightly different knob design which I haven't been able to open yet. It has something to do with the hole between the knob and shield but after stabbing my hand 3x while trying I gave up and moved on to that other "easy" brand: Avent.

Unfortunately, Avent Ultra Air paci's are not as easy to open as it seems. There are plenty of guides out there for Mam paci's but if I try to Google for a guide on opening Avent pacifiers I find.. Nothing. So I gave it a go myself, going in blind so to speak, and the worst thing happened:

IMG_5187.jpg

As this one is now ruined that also gives me the opportunity to study it and try to not-break the next one I attempt. I still haven't found a way to get the ring/handle off, even with pliers for more leverage. The handle goes through the knob, into the shield and there's a small bump which prevents it from coming out of there again. Maybe boiling it in water will help to loosen up the plastic? Haven't had the opportunity yet to try but I hope to this weekend..

Have any of you attempted to open up an Avent paci and succeeded or is this "easy brand" only for the elites who don't want to share their little tricks? :) I've seen modded Avent pacis on Etsy so there must be a way to do it without breaking them. It's also a possibility they combine 2-3 pacifiers to create 1 adult one, might explain the high price tag as those are probably the most expensive adult modded paci's I've ever seen. I decided to contact the seller to ask but they could only reply with "We recommend buying from us to avoid hurting yourself or damaging the pacifier. We can't share our method on opening them." At least I tried...

Maybe (if there's any interest in this sort of thing) we can make this topic into a collection of tips/guides for others trying to do the same thing? Tips for other brands are also very welcome of course. Hopefully we can build the go-to-guide on opening pacifiers. ;)

(This post turned out way longer then I had in mind..)

Attachments

• IMG_5188.jpg
    IMG_5188.jpg
    910.5 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: princeminnow
I can help you mod Nuk pacis if you need! They're not THAT hard (especially more modern/newer ones) and I've molded so many for myself! I can post a tutorial or something!

Reactions: binkybaby2015
LilScapegrace said:
I can help you mod Nuk pacis if you need! They're not THAT hard (especially more modern/newer ones) and I've molded so many for myself! I can post a tutorial or something!
I thought the new Nuks were harder then the older generation.. If you find the time to share instructions that would be nice to see. :)

In the meantime I've managed to open the Avent paci's without breaking them. All you need is a microwave (in my case 900W for 3 minutes) and a bowl of water. The ring can then be easily pulled out and the knob comes off without any tricks as well.

Back