The "wash of shame"

slimjiminy

Diabetes, type-2
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
For those of you who are incontinent or dealing with unintentional night time wettings, where, when and how
do you wash your plastic pants? Do you wash them in secret, or as part of a machine wash? Or do you wash
your plastic pants by hand in the bathroom sink (like I do)?. My immediate family knows of my incontinence but
it always feels awkward. My son's GF was over this afternoon, so I decided to do my wash in the bathroom
with the door closed this time (just in case, since GF doesn't know).

I buy 3 plastic pants at a time (Priva is packaged that way). I try to make them last the entire week by hanging them
up to air and rotating the ones in use (I wear nightly). By the end of the week, they do acquire quite
some smell, even though they remain dry in the morning. I use a small amount of Tide Free and Gentle to help
with the cleaning action, and rinse thoroughly.

I'm not incontinent, not yet anyway but I wear cloth diapers and plastic pants. I wash my plastic pants in the shower when I take my shower in the morning. We have good water pressure where I live so letting the shower stream hit the plastic pants takes care of most of the odor. I gave up using soap on my plastic pants because it seemed to make the plastic hard and then crack, at least a lot quicker than just using water. I hang my plastic pants on a plastic hanger and they dry in less than a day.

I wet very heavily when I sleep, I use Tykables Waddle-cut diapers with NorthShore 2xl liners and Babykins absorbent plastic pants overtop. I do not leak very often, usually only requiring fresh plastic pants once a week.

To wash my plastic pants, I turn them inside out - soak, rinse & ring them a couple times to get most of the urine out - wash them with normal laundry ( still turned inside out ) - air dry for 3 or 4 days.

Last edited:
I gave up using soap on my plastic pants because it seemed to make the plastic hard and then crack
A lot of soaps are designed to cut grease and thus affect the pasticisers. I am hopeful that detergents like Tide Free and Gentle, which can be used on cloth diapers are also safe for plastic pants. My cost per pant is less than $3 each, so I'm not that worried about it.

I’m 24/7 due to dual IC and I wear cloth contour diaper and plastic most of the time with cloth prefolds and plastic pants as an alternative when home and Abena Abri-Forms with plastic pants when I going to be gone for an extended period. Generally I change my cloth diapers in the shower and rinse them and the plastic pants out in there. Before I start my shower I add about 10-12 pumps of Dollar General Soft Soap with Aloe Vera to a 5 quart ice cream pail of hot water and soak the pants in it after they’re rinsed out. Before the water they’re soaking in gets cool I hang them over the shower head to drain without rinsing the soap and I’ve had no problems from hardening other than where they come into contact with poop. They do pick up a little residual smell from poop contact but not from urine.

Though plastic pants can be washed in the washer, do not put them in the dryer, it can start a fire. Back when I had some I just hand washed them in the sink (added a cup of detergent). Then just let them air dry in the closet away from the other clothes. Too bad they all ripped at the sides eventually.

slimjiminy said:
For those of you who are incontinent or dealing with unintentional night time wettings, where, when and how
do you wash your plastic pants? Do you wash them in secret, or as part of a machine wash? Or do you wash
your plastic pants by hand in the bathroom sink (like I do)?. My immediate family knows of my incontinence but
it always feels awkward. My son's GF was over this afternoon, so I decided to do my wash in the bathroom

I buy 3 plastic pants at a time (Priva is packaged that way). I try to make them last the entire week by hanging them
up to air and rotating the ones in use (I wear nightly). By the end of the week, they do acquire quite
some smell, even though they remain dry in the morning. I use a small amount of Tide Free and Gentle to help
with the cleaning action, and rinse thoroughly.
I just rinse mine under the tap and dry them out of sun light. They last a lot longer that way.

I'm lazy and stick them in the washing machine on a delicate cycle at 20 degrees C. Ultra low spin speed, give them a shake, and hang them up. They only ever smell if crap has got into the folds around the legs, and in that case I go at them in the bathroom sink with some soap before sticking them in the washing machine.

When wearing cloth nappies, I normally use two pairs of plastic pants a day - one during the day and another at night, and then wash them. If they're smelling with your system, maybe wash them more often?

slimjiminy said:

with the cleaning action, and rinse thoroughly
Ummm. I just wash them. I wear klinert duralite pants. I throw them in with my whites with bleach on hot, sometime on sanitize, which heats the water even more. Then I put them in the dryer....

I don't always wash them in the washer. Maybe twice a month. Sometimes I just give them a quick rinse in the shower.

Would they last longer without the bleach? Maybe, but I usually get about three years out of a pair. Plus the bleach really really remove and prevents odor. My cloth diapers really never smell bad.

I just wash them every one in my family know any way , I even hang my cloth nappies out to dry in the garden when I wear them

My PUL pants always seem to whiff of wee, if I clean them by hand the next morning rather are back to how they were before being washed, it seems like you can only remove the surface odour which must seep deep into the plastic 😠
New PUL pants take about a week before they adopt the usual Nappy niffs.
I do sometimes put them in with my microfiber and cloth Nappy inserts and it then takes two days before the Nappy niff returns.
I have tried airing them outside for a few days but once worn the Nappy niff is back again after the first wearing.
The only effective method I have found is to machine wash them every day or spray them with an old perfume, but then I and everything around smells like a tarts handkerchiefs.
I am currently very aware of my Nappy niffs as the smell must be very obviouse to my poor wife who so far has not said anything and I don't like imposing it on her as why should she suffer from my problem.

I run the plastic pants through the wash with the diapers but hang them to dry while the diapers go into the dryer.

Lysol and Febreze both make laundry deoderant stuff you can throw into the wash. I also select an extra rinse on the washing machine.

If you buy quality PP you can wash them in a machine and also dry them in the dryer. I have done this for years and have many, many PP's. However, cheap PP will turn hard, melt or discolor. Hey what you pay for. Very discreet washing this way with other garments

Reactions: Napincolove
I rinse mine in the morning in the shower together with my wet cloth diapers. After a rinse I hang them to dry in the shower. In the evening they are dry. Once in a while I let them soak in the sink with washing soap, when they start to smell, or my wife puts them in the sink for a soaking if she thinks they have become smelly.
I never machine wash mine, as it affects their durability.

No ‘shame’ for me, just necessity. The cloth napies are rinsed in the shower together with my Suprima plastic pants, then every three days they are all washed together in the machine at 60 degrees. They are then hung on the line outside, the nappies in full sun, which helps bleach them and the plastic pants in the shade as the sun rots the elastic. Each pair last about three years as I have a rotation of about 15 pairs.

Reactions: NotTheAverageMan, Napincolove and NappiedTruckDriver
Same for me, I’m also drying my cloth diapers on the outside. during summer the sun helps remove any odor which may reside, even after washing. In wintertime, only the wind is helping reducing the buildup of odor.
however drying them this way, is the most economically way. I never machinedry my diapers.

NotTheAverageMan said:
Same for me, I’m also drying my cloth diapers on the outside. during summer the sun helps remove any odor which may reside, even after washing. In wintertime, only the wind is helping reducing the buildup of odor.
however drying them this way, is the most economically way. I never machinedry my diapers.
All my inco stuff goes on the line too.

Wow, amazed to see people saying their plastic pants last year's... I would say 2 - 3 months...
I usually try and hand rinse mine (urine only) and maybe some wool wash detergent.
Last time I put them in the washing machine, wool detergent - 30°C - gentle spin, rolled them up in a clean towel to get excess water off and left them to air dry, but I think they came out harder and now the side stitching has torn...

wiliawi said:
Ummm. I just wash them. I wear klinert duralite pants.
These look like PUL pants rather than plastic pants...? Need to try these!
I need a guide to waterproof pants!

All the old PVC pants used to last me two weeks or three tops if wearing 20 hours a day before they started cracking and nipping my skin, then I found PUL pants that are really good as they are chemical resistant (Vaseline, Sudocream and Metanium etc) just do not affect them!
They last for many months and I have one pair that is about 18 months old being worn every night, the only negatives are over time they will grow in size (stretch) and usually the elastics die before the PUL tears.
I have recently just discovered Nylon PUL pants that are really tough Nylon lined with PUL and would thoroughly recommend this type especially Kylie as they are so strong and very well made, the sewing is absolute quality and you will not be let down by dodgy seams something my old PVC pants often suffered with causing catastrophic failures.

Reactions: DLWee and dogboy
Back