Terrible PT visit

kb382kk

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
So I want to rant just a little and see if there are any opinions out there.

A bit of history, I was in a blast when I was deployed to Iraq. I was thrown in an explosion, woke up under rubble in shock. I would walk about five feet and then fall over. Turns out I had some fractures, including S2. Just to today I am mobile but completely incontinent bowl and bladder. So I use adult diapers, which is actually recommended by the neurosurgeon and neurologist. Turns out I am not a candidate for really any other option out there.

So I moved to a new area and got a new PT therapy. They had me fill out a big long list of questions and one of them was about incontinence. So of course I say yes. This… let’s say older PT, asked med about details and when I folder I use adult brief she made such a disgusting face. And then I get a lecture on how not to use the word chronic and my incontinence can be fixed. Three different neurosurgeons and four neurologists have said chronic conditions and I just have to manage the symptoms.

I feel kind of terrible after the visit. Am I wrong? Did I just give up and accept something that has made me a disgusting human being?

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: artemisenterri, weemouse, newt and 8 others
I get so tired of doctors always saying there is a fix.. no sometimes there isn’t and sometimes the fix is managing…

Reactions: artemisenterri, BigAl2, littledub1955 and 1 other person
Man. I’m sorry you had that experience. When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. I believe patients should be the experts of their own health. You know better then this PT. And it’s her problem that she’s disgusted, not yours. Your incontinence is not in her lane of expertise, so don’t be too concerned about her opinion about it. You’re doing what you gotta do.

• Love
Reactions: artemisenterri, dogboy, BigAl2 and 4 others
I'd be tempted to report that. How dare she display that kind of behavior, especially to someone who's been through what you have.

• Love
Reactions: artemisenterri, dogboy, BigAl2 and 3 others
So the thing is there have been Three different neurosurgeons and four neurologists have told you it is chronic, there is not fix, and you have to manage the symptoms. Their credentials and expertise in this area overshadow anything the PT said. They are the expert she is not and her training and background is not in the issues you are dealing with. Yes some of her training and the things she will teach you can help with incontienence but the training and education of the neurosurgeons and neurologists is far more than hers. This is especially true because you have been more then two for both of. You have a second, third, fourth opinion all telling you the same thing. It sounds like that PT needs a little humble pie.

• Love
Reactions: artemisenterri, BigAl2, sledder23 and 3 others
It is sometimes amazing what you get to hear - but in that case I would have laughed and said: I love your optimism and I really hate this problem - do you feel like a bet? You will get $1000 from me if you can cure it in 12 weeks - if not it will probably be chronic and I will get the $1000 from you... Deal?

• Love
Reactions: artemisenterri, dogboy, BigAl2 and 2 others
You are NOT a disgusting human being. Quite the opposite, you're a freakin' HERO! Thank you for
serving, you make us proud and grateful. She is obviously in the wrong line of work.

• Love
Reactions: artemisenterri, newt, diaperkool and 8 others
Thank you for your service. That’s just wrong of the PT to make the assumption without knowing your full medical history. You are a HERO!!!

• Love
Reactions: artemisenterri, BigAl2, sledder23 and 1 other person
I very much thank you for your service your a great American.
She would not be my therapist.
No compassion.
I would request someone else.
Talk to her supervisor or the head of the center. She should learn that she's not you doctor or surgeon.
She is there to help with improving your muscles and movements.
Not how you manage your nerve damage. She is not a professional.
I did medical transport.
I had one client that had a major blow out at the hospital they didn't help him clean up just towels only. We had a two hour ride . He didn't understand how it happened I explained that his body needed a way to expelled water sence his kidneys were impaired so the bowel is it . I told him if it happened more often then he may need protection. In a very compassionate way. To make him feel better I did fib I was a bedwetter . That's how a professional should be.We are so glad you are here in our community thank you.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: artemisenterri, newt, Piotrula and 3 others
kb382kk said:

A bit of history, I was in a blast when I was deployed to Iraq. I was thrown in an explosion, woke up under rubble in shock. I would walk about five feet and then fall over. Turns out I had some fractures, including S2. Just to today I am mobile but completely incontinent bowl and bladder. So I use adult diapers, which is actually recommended by the neurosurgeon and neurologist. Turns out I am not a candidate for really any other option out there.

So I moved to a new area and got a new PT therapy. They had me fill out a big long list of questions and one of them was about incontinence. So of course I say yes. This… let’s say older PT, asked med about details and when I folder I use adult brief she made such a disgusting face. And then I get a lecture on how not to use the word chronic and my incontinence can be fixed. Three different neurosurgeons and four neurologists have said chronic conditions and I just have to manage the symptoms.

I feel kind of terrible after the visit. Am I wrong? Did I just give up and accept something that has made me a disgusting human being?
First of all I want to thank you for serving and I'm sorry for your injuries that led to your symptoms. You are absolutely NOT in the wrong here but your PT is most definitely in the wrong. Very wrong and very unprofessional.

I'll echo what others have said, Thank you for being a HERO your service is something that nobody should ever slight. If I were you I would report this PT person to their supervisor and demand a different one. There is no excuse to be treated like that in my book.

• Love
Reactions: artemisenterri, BigAl2, sledder23 and 2 others
Thanks for the support. I don’t ever say it’s been a hard journey to anyone, but it has. The first two years after I was blown up I couldn’t even leave the house.

Reactions: BigAl2, sledder23 and Edgewater
Diaper shaming in the medical profession is real. I’ve experienced it. I’m sorry you had to hear this from this person. Try to get another therapist. I’ve had numerous surgeries and injuries and PT people are usually nice, but I’ve run into some that are full of themselves. Your doctors should know what they are talking about. PT’s are not doctors.

I have gone to PT my self for several other injuries. Every time i was diapered because of being incontinent. I never had any issues with the Therapist and most understood my issues. GET a different Therapist. You should not have to deal with their issues and preconceived notions. the good therapists i have had were honest and full of compassion to help with my PT.

Reactions: artemisenterri, sbmccue, BigAl2 and 1 other person
BuffedBaby said:
You are NOT a disgusting human being. Quite the opposite, you're a freakin' HERO! Thank you for
serving, you make us proud and grateful. She is obviously in the wrong line of work.
I agree with you 100%.

• Love
Reactions: foxkits, BuffedBaby, BigAl2 and 2 others
Thank you, for your Service to our Country as it is folks like you that reminds us that Freedom Matters!

The treatment by the PT therapist was sub-standard and totally unacceptable and for not only you, but for all of us other Vets, this person needs to be reported. Such treatment is what needs to be left in the distance past. Whether this person is within the VA system or not, such treatment is likely occurring on others as well and it needs to stop!

Again, thank you for your service!

• Love
Reactions: artemisenterri, newt, foxkits and 3 others
I’ll echo what others have said in a hearty thank you for your service!

Many of us are managing long term chronic incontinence and it doesn’t mean that we are dirty human beings. Just means that we have to accept that our bodies have a malfunction and that we’ll be managing it with one of the many resources at our fingertips. I’ve got urge incontinence and my management system that best allows me to live a normal life is full tab briefs (diapers). They’re comfortable, convenient (better than pull ups because I don’t have to undress to change), and the healthiest option for my needs. Taking charge of my health and making the decision to discontinue pharmacological and surgical options and just wear diapers was liberating. I’m more relaxed, easy going, and don’t have to be chained to a bathroom or my bladder’s urges. If I can make it to a bathroom, great! Most of the time I don’t have more than 10 seconds from the start of an urge to my bladder overpowering my sphincters…but it’s ok. I’m protected.

Best thing you can do is be the master of your own destiny and find what works best for you. Ignore all the negativity and noise from the medical profession and make decisions that best suit your needs. I wish you all the best, and we’ll be here to support you along the way.

Reactions: foxkits, artemisenterri, babyscotty37 and 2 others
Unfortunately in some people the diaper stigma is alive & well and worn on their sleeve
just explain no it is chronic cite the doctors
if still issues request a different PT

Reactions: artemisenterri, Edgewater and BigAl2
kb382kk said:

I'd have asked this "expert" what makes her right and these two other highly trained, probably much more than her, wrong.
In my lifetime history of 36 surgeries, I've met some pretty insensitive and arrogant "experts" who have also caused more harm than good.

Reactions: artemisenterri, Edgewater and BigAl2
Well..... that was unprofessional.
Personally i would not go to that person anymore if you have other options.
This is not your fault. Dont worry about that.

Reactions: artemisenterri and Edgewater
Back