Taller Leak guards The Next Big Thing?

BabyLink9

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
I've been wondering what the next big advancement in diapers is going to be. Positional printing being the most recent has seriously shaken up the industry. Pretty much every ABDL diaper manufacturer has created a diaper with positionally printed prints at this point. Along with cloth backing thanks to how ABU's burst onto the scene with it has gone. Before that I remember when Hook and Loop tapes where a big deal, and the ultra absorbent cores that these diapers have. So what is next? Seems like stretch sides are probably a bit of a pipe dream thanks to how heavy ABDL diapers can get. I've notice a few companies jumping into this, and its a subtle change, but one that is finally gonna lead to some fixes with leaking. I noticed the Baby Parade diapers have pretty tall leak guards, and it seems like they are pretty difficult to cause a leak to spring in. Is that the next big move? Finally getting these diapers to have better fits and to stop leaking? Taller leak guards for better protection?

• Thinking
  • Wow
Reactions: Jk95, MetalDan86, theancientmariner and 6 others
Possibly something to make self-diapering easier. I think capacity and tapes can always be improved as well.

Reactions: CuriousFabio
They need a better diaper for side seepers

Reactions: DiaperedJoey, Tinklepanties, ogdlv and 7 others
I really think we need to rethink leg elastics and go back to the classic style of leg gatherers...

elastic.jpg

• Love
Reactions: PlastiBrain, GoodnitesXL21, Chocobo114 and 11 others
I feel like the thing I want to see most is a diaper utilizing more pulp to distribute the liquid more evenly to the back of the diaper. Abena was traditionally good with that, then ConfiDry 24/7 (RIP), and the Northshore Supreme especially pushed that forward. But then these newer diaper manufacturers started focusing solely on ISO absorbency above all else. The new super high-capacity diapers (Megamax, Rearz Elite, XP5000, Trest, etc.) balloon up in the front 1/3 (if you’re a guy) and then start leaking. Most of the usable capacity of the diaper is wasted and the diaper becomes insanely bulky and noticeable in the front.

Dear diaper manufacturers, please use less SAP and more pulp.

Reactions: MetalDan86, ogdlv, Ecchi231 and 7 others
growlycub said:
I feel like the thing I want to see most is a diaper utilizing more pulp to distribute the liquid more evenly to the back of the diaper.
I think the innovation of Pampers' channels is likely to be next. A European manufacturer I saw recently is doing that for adult sizes? I'm sure there's a patent involved that will require some processes to either license or workaround, though, here in the States. I think 5 channels compared to the Pampers 3 would net a very big gain in absorbency and address the distribution you mention.

I also think the next big thing someone is going to figure out is a type of side material similar to Pull-Ups/Goodnites that can result in a respectable adult-sized Pull-Up.

• Thinking
Reactions: MetalDan86, Edgewater, denimchicken and 3 others
The thing is the new baby diapers are more like a straight pad with wings stretchy sides even used in cheap adult cloth backed diapers.
Stretch briefs assurance.
The wings are too long only holds one wetting. They separate come apart I prefer plastic backed. Not having things that chafe the inside of legs.

quartz200420012 said:
I really think we need to rethink leg elastics and go back to the classic style of leg gatherers...

View attachment 127797
Is this why we don’t see cute ruffles around the edges of diapers anymore?

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnitesXL21
How about cloth like backing that don’t leak like a sieve. Down to two cases of confidry.

Reactions: bigtoddler96
foxkits said:
The thing is the new baby diapers are more like a straight pad with wings stretchy sides even used in cheap adult cloth backed diapers.
Stretch briefs assurance.
The wings are too long only holds one wetting. They separate come apart I prefer plastic backed. Not having things that chafe the inside of legs.
Dailee Pants (adult pullups in europe) do this and use the same channel technology that is licensed to Procter & Gamble.
Reallly good stuff btw, they’re my favorite pullups and i pay (a lot) extra to get them imported from europe to the USA.

We still need to widen the crotches 2-3 inches...and leave padding width alone. That will go a long way toward stopping leaks. The standing leak guards were made to contain messy leaks...it just happened they delayed piddle leaks. For a time. The manufacturers keep running from a very basic truth.

BabyLink9 said:
Is this why we don’t see cute ruffles around the edges of diapers anymore?
I get cute, frilly ruffles on my legs with my diapers. Very, very happy.

• Love
Reactions: Joediaper, MetalDan86, Tinklepanties and 2 others
wiliawi said:
How about cloth like backing that don’t leak like a sieve. Down to two cases of confidry.
Some brands have already worked on that, but using a hybrid plastic+cloth cover. They keep the plastic layer under the cloth covering the same thickness as a usual plastic-backed diaper, so it has all the protection of plastic-backed, but the outer is soft with the cloth cover. But you sacrifice the other benefits usually associated with cloth-backed, the breathability, which is the exact issue that causes the seeping in the first place.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
dpcare said:
They need a better diaper for side seepers
This would be my wish too… I wonder if taller leak guards would help with that? I also agree that we need better wicking, as it is frustrating when your nappy is close to leaking, but the back is completely dry.

LePew said:
Dailee Pants (adult pullups in europe) do this and use the same channel technology that is licensed to Procter & Gamble.
Reallly good stuff btw, they’re my favorite pullups and i pay (a lot) extra to get them imported from europe to the USA.
Dailee pants belong to Drylock (European company)

Drylock is trying to differentiate with innovation...
They invented the 3 channels and P&G is under Drylock license...
They created the first compostable baby diaper (currently in trial phase with birth clinics)
They try to be the least CO2 foot print hygiene product producer.

There is a plan to create an adult diaper with 3 channels... After the pull-ups...

Interesting company to follow. Who knows, maybe we'll have a 3 channels, stretchy sides diaper in the future.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Better chassis - we have the strong wings, strong tapes, need strong elastics on the side with deeper leak guards, then the diaper will be more form fitting allowing the diaper to expand but stay close to your body on the sides were it counts the most

Reactions: CuriousFabio, ogdlv, Jonnythepony and 1 other person
front and back pockets like new pampers would be cool.

Reactions: CuriousFabio, BabyLink9 and jakenappy
soggybottoms8882 said:
front and back pockets like new pampers would be cool.
Yeh that sounds really good, just hope Pampers havent got a patent on it so diaper companies can copy it 😊

Reactions: soggybottoms8882
I hope for an actual pull up style abdl diaper. The ones we currently have are pathetic compared to what the kids get.

You beat me to it
jakenappy said:
Yeh that sounds really good, just hope Pampers havent got a patent on it so diaper companies can copy it 😊

Another thing that I saw on a baby diaper commercial was blow out protection. It's a little pocket on the top of the diaper that is supposed to be an extra barrier to prevent a messy leak out the back of the diaper. I think this should be put on adult diapers, but instead of the back, put it on the front. Not to contain messes, but to prevent my boyhood from sticking out the top of my diaper when I'm erect.

Reactions: Chocobo114, CuriousFabio, soggybottoms8882 and 2 others
abrich said:
This would be my wish too… I wonder if taller leak guards would help with that? I also agree that we need better wicking, as it is frustrating when your nappy is close to leaking, but the back is completely dry.
more side padding would help

Reactions: abrich
quartz200420012 said:

View attachment 127797
Is this an old Huggies diaper? They were the best at not leaking ang holding a ton. They way they were designed would work much better for us than what we have now.

abrich said:
Leak guards are one part of the puzzle. They aren't waterproof though so they can't do it all by themselves.

pampers4U said:
Better chassis - we have the strong wings, strong tapes, need strong elastics on the side with deeper leak guards, then the diaper will be more form fitting allowing the diaper to expand but stay close to your body on the sides were it counts the most
This exactly. The modifications I do to my diaper make this possible and the result is anywhere from 20% to 30% more absorbency and wicking without adding any padding to the diaper. I actually take padding away just to make it possible. Even works better when I sleep on my side.

dpcare said:
more side padding would help
That would actually make it even worse. The padding in the wings keeps the waterproof material away from the skin and allows fluids to pass through and press out easier. Which is why wearing plastics pants over your diaper works so good at keeping leaks at bay.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: abrich
Back