Strategies Dealing with Curious and Needy Cats

YakuiAndOzoi

#1 (diapered) Silver Case fan (probably)
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Carer
  7. Other
Weird and somewhat embarrassing question. I have a cat who likes to bap at my clothes with his claws for attention, and I'm somewhat worried about wearing disposable diapers around him since I think his claws could get stuck on the thinner sides and tear them! I mean, obviously the solution is pretty much "don't let him do that, but mostly just curious about other peoples' experiences since I'd rather not have to be vigilant about it whenever I'm wearing with no cover and he's around. Thanks!

Reactions: TigerDL, Seasonedcitizen, Cottontail and 1 other person
YakuiAndOzoi said:
Weird and somewhat embarrassing question. I have a cat who likes to bap at my clothes with his claws for attention, and I'm somewhat worried about wearing disposable diapers around him since I think his claws could get stuck on the thinner sides and tear them! I mean, obviously the solution is pretty much "don't let him do that, but mostly just curious about other peoples' experiences since I'd rather not have to be vigilant about it whenever I'm wearing with no cover and he's around. Thanks!
My puppy is obsessed with my diapers and I have similar issues. I've just been wearing sweat pants over them because I don't want her to ruin my disposables.

Not sure what a better solution is other than training over and over again until they stop. Or distract them with a better toy👍

Reactions: YakuiAndOzoi
fleckothefennec said:
My puppy is obsessed with my diapers and I have similar issues. I've just been wearing sweat pants over them because I don't want her to ruin my disposables.

Not sure what a better solution is other than training over and over again until they stop. Or distract them with a better toy👍
Nice! Thanks for the input. I kinda already knew it but it's good to know my worries are justified! I've noticed a few of my dog toys have a similar crinkle actually, hehhhh. I don't it'll be a problem with my dogs luckily, but I can see why it'd be interesting to animals!

I have two cats that own the downstairs of the house where my office is. It’s also where all my diapering supplies and diaper pail are kept. When we got the cats, I was worried they’d catch of whiff of the pail, think “competition!” and start peeing/marking near it. Thankfully that hasn’t happened.

One of the two does visit me often while I’m working (and diapered). Usually he just rolls around on the floor next to me, begging for attention, but sometimes he’ll hop into my lap. I’ve worried that he might put a claw through one of my disposable diapers or cloth diaper covers. Thankfully that’s also remained a purely theoretical issue.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, fleckothefennec and YakuiAndOzoi
Cottontail said:
When we got the cats, I was worried they’d catch of whiff of the pail, think “competition!” and start peeing/marking near it. Thankfully that hasn’t happened.
I hadn't even thought of a potential issue like that, wow! That makes a lot of sense though. I'm real happy to hear it wasn't a problem at all for you! Thank you for sharing!

Always had cats around, and happen to have a new kitten right now. Stacks of diapers sitting out haven't really been a problem, and none of my cats have taken a liking to kneading the outside of my diapers with while I'm wearing them or they're sitting out. Incidental damage and holes in the plastic from claws HAS occurred when the claws come out while playing or being picked up or held - never intentional and while annoying not something you can teach them not to do.

The new kitten really likes to help with my diaper changes, getting inside the fresh diaper after I unfold it and powder the back, even kneading the inside before laying down in it, lol. I've had to remove the kitten before pulling the front of the diaper up, thank goodness he hasn't decided my penis is a toy to play with (yet!).

Attachments

• 20230109_020022.jpg
    20230109_020022.jpg
    950.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Haha
Reactions: CrazySmoker, JensBabyGirl, Seasonedcitizen and 2 others
PupSpaz said:
The new kitten really likes to help with my diaper changes, getting inside the fresh diaper after I unfold it and powder the back, even kneading the inside before laying down in it, lol. I've had to remove the kitten before pulling the front of the diaper up
Oh my gosh, that's absolutely adorable. That's definitely something my cat would do too!

I'll just have to get loose pants to cover up with when the cat comes around if it ever becomes a problem. Thank you for your input!

YakuiAndOzoi said:
Oh my gosh, that's absolutely adorable. That's definitely something my cat would do too!
Actually, it's gotten a bit funnier, because kittens are very full of energy and great at getting into things you don't want them to... Twice now the kitten has gotten desitin on it's face due to helpfuly (and infinitely curiously) jumping into the front of my diaper while I was applying the skin cream before I got the front pulled up! Baby wipes to the rescue for his face!

After the diaper is on, he's not interested, it's just normal to him now. Although he has attacked the lose plastic wings from time to time when in my lap. Tucking them back into the diaper stops the distraction...

sometimes I sleep diapered and of course being the slave to 5 fully clawed cats that beds down with them they have gotten my diaper a few times. Tell tale sign is in the morning when I release my am flood I'll get a little trickle down my leg and my onside will be wet.
One time I left a box of Bambino Catronauts open in my closet. When I went to move them I noticed one of my cats decided to use the top exposed bag as a scratch pad. I know which one had done but she won't admit and the other 4 aren't saying anything. I hate when they band together and stick up for each other.
When I'm diapered around them during the day I'm super careful when they want cuddle and lap time.

• Haha
Reactions: JensBabyGirl, Straycatz, Seasonedcitizen and 1 other person
Never had a cat use the diapers as a scratching post - but avoid this by keeping my bagged (denser / compressed) inventory generally out of reach. Cats will jump up onto anything, usually with claws extended if / when they start to slide around - a stack of diaper bags is nothing but temptation to see what's at the top to a cat, LOL. The cats I have tend to prefer other things to scratch, like the (sisal rope) scratching post or the cardboard scratching toys - none have used my diapers yet! My stacks of convenience diapers that are accessible just aren't tempting to them - they move around if they try interacting with them so aren't as appealing perhaps.

Pro tip - if a claw DOES tear a hole in your diaper, you can usually salvage the diaper with a piece of packing tape over the hole(s). Again, it has happened from time to time as incidental damage, not because the cat was trying to play / attack my diapers.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen and YakuiAndOzoi
PupSpaz said:
Never had a cat use the diapers as a scratching post - ...
We have four (clawed) cats. One of them likes to sleep curled up on my lap when I'm sleeping on my back. Punctures have never been a problem. What's more of a problem is waking up with cat scratches on my shins, chest, and sometimes even my forehead. If she thinks she needs to bound after another cat in the night, the claws come out during the jump and I seem to sleep through it.

But that reminds me that it's been a while since my last tetanus shot. I've had folks warn me to watch out for that "cat scratch fever!" I've had the shot at least a couple of times in my life, but I think it is probably time for another.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen
Wear thick clothes so that a cat in your lap will not puncture your diaper. If you have boxes of diapers where they can destroy them, put pieces of cardboard inside as added protection.

the cats were banished from the bedroom years ago for various reasons. I will still wear overnight so I get out of bed, pee, and get back to bed without them seeing me .

My Kitty like to do that also on my lap , but his front are declawed.

Back