So, anyone planning on watching the total solar eclipse April 8th?

Derry, New Hampshire where I live is outside the eclipse totality path.
Therefore I will not see it from my front deck.

Reactions: KBoy, Zeke and Edgewater
caitianx said:
Derry, New Hampshire where I live is outside the eclipse totality path.
Therefore I will not see it from my front deck.
It doesn’t look like it’s that far from you. The center of the eclipse path looks like it just north of the northern tip of New Hampshire. Maybe if you had a bigger deck?

• Haha
Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
Zeke said:
That’s who I order my 55mm filter from and it’s supposed to be delivered by April 2nd.
What kind of lens is it?
Just curious by the filter size and the sun/moon (safest size-in-the-sky reference) is pretty small in the sky.
Do you have tele-converters/multipliers in your bag o' stuff?

I did a quick lens cost search for over yon and 😲

Last edited:
Reactions: KBoy and BobbiSueEllen
The only items that I have moved to my camera case are the lenses that I had for the Minolta Maxim 5000 that can be used on the Sony Alpha A100. I’ll have to look in the camera bag that the Minolta’s in to see what’s still in there besides the Maxim. I don’t remember having multiplers or tele-converters but it’s been over 35 years since I ordered the Minolta, the lenses, and the bag and accessory when I was in Alaska and I’m not sure what I’ve got in the bag. I’m pretty sure that I didn’t buy the items that you mentioned. Here’s the Amazon listing for the filter that I ordered after looking at the lens to verify its 55mm size. Hopefully it will suffice as many items used for observing the solar eclipse are already solar out.

Attachments

• IMG_1495.jpeg
    IMG_1495.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: KBoy and ade
Looks better than what I use 🤭
Liked,
Screenshot_20240325-134723.png
I have a Tamron 70-300mm on 16megapixel Nikon and was looking at extra magnification for the sun and moon.

Reactions: KBoy and BobbiSueEllen
ade said:
What kind of lens is it?
Just curious by the filter size and the sun/moon (safest size-in-the-sky reference) is pretty small in the sky.

Thanks for making me investigate this filter that I ordered further. After look through the questions asked about it I see that it’s not sufficient for what I was going to use it for and I canceled the order. Any recommendations?

• Thinking
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
I just use 2 polarizing filters and twist the outer one as needed.
There's a load of technical blogs and forums out there to bamboozle your mind 😁

On edit: I tend avoid looking through the viewfinder anyway, as a precaution, but also because it's still quite hard to get a crisp focus and I'll use the pixelpeep function (I forget it's proper name) on the lcd screen.

More edit: you've got remote shutter release, haven't you?

Last edited:
Reactions: KBoy, Zeke and BobbiSueEllen
I'm planning on seeing it from satellite imagery. I got a gif of the last eclipse, it was pretty cool. I'm in the uk so I'm definitely to far away.

Reactions: KBoy and Zeke
ade said:
I just use 2 polarizing filters and twist the outer one as needed.
There's a load of technical blogs and forums out there to bamboozle your mind 😁

On edit: I tend avoid looking through the viewfinder anyway, as a precaution, but also because it's still quite hard to get a crisp focus and I'll use the pixelpeep function (I forget it's proper name) on the lcd screen.

More edit: you've got remote shutter release, haven't you?
Yes, I bought the appropriate remote release for my Sony after I bought the camera, used, on eBay. Now I’ve got to get my Slik tripod out and put the the handgrip release swivel reassembled after I took it apart.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
ade said:
What kind of lens is it?

I found a filter that appears like it will work and ordered it. The link is: https://a.co/d/6xh7Wwm and I attached a screenshot of part of the listing. In the description it’s claimed to work with a digital SLR so that it doesn’t burn out the sensor plate or view finder. Besides the filter I ordered a 10 pack of eclipse glasses made to American Astronomical Society specifications. You’re supposed to be able to tear one of the lenses off and use it to protect your iPhone camera if you’re using it to photograph the eclipse. I included a screenshot of its Amazon listing as well. What do you think will these will suffice?

Attachments

• IMG_1521.png
    IMG_1521.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1520.png
    IMG_1520.png
    381 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Zeke said:
Besides the filter I ordered a 10 pack of eclipse glasses made to American Astronomical Society specifications.
Do you have the link to the glasses? I'd like to examine the listing for the glasses' certification stating CE or ISO standards compliance to make sure they're safe. I bought some 'postcard' eclipse viewers once and when they arrived, they had no certification and I destroyed them. I want to make sure yours are legit.

• Thinking
Reactions: KBoy and Zeke
I'm going to have to view it after the fact. I'm pretty sure PA isn't in the path this time.

mistykitty said:
I'm going to have to view it after the fact. I'm pretty sure PA isn't in the path this time.
The shadow clips the top-left of PA...but you get 90+ percent, average. Still a good show. Between the yellows is the Totality Zone.

20240328_080925.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeke and mistykitty
I'm driving up to Northern Vermont for the solar eclipse, staying in an air bnb for the weekend with some friends and we're planning on just hanging around and just having some fun :)

Reactions: Zeke, MeDisneyBaby and BobbiSueEllen
BobbiSueEllen said:
Do you have the link to the glasses? I'd like to examine the listing for the glasses' certification stating CE or ISO standards compliance to make sure they're safe. I bought some 'postcard' eclipse viewers once and when they arrived, they had no certification and I destroyed them. I want to make sure yours are legit.
The 10 pack of eclipse glasses link is: https://a.co/d/cTRPyJ8

If the test report is correct, then the glasses conform to ISO 12312-2:2015 (2015 standards, no expiration date) and are perfectly okay. 🥳

I went to NASA.gov and they have a list of recommendations so I can ensure they truly are ISO12312-2 Certified and this is what I got : https://a.co/d/0XVRnlj

I will be viewing them from Houston, not in 100% total but close enough. I dont wanna have to deal with traffic in the path of eclipse and the weather might get cloudy. :cool:

Last edited:
Not gonna see a total one here in North Carolina but it’ll be pretty significant. If the weather is nice, and the skies are clear, we might go to our lake house and view it from the shore.

Reactions: Zeke, BobbiSueEllen and jamiejamie
I'm headed to Northern Maine to see it, I just hope the weather cooperates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeke and BobbiSueEllen
BobbiSueEllen said:
The shadow clips the top-left of PA...but you get 90+ percent, average. Still a good show. Between the yellows is the Totality Zone.

Maybe I will get to see some of it then 😸

• Love
Reactions: Zeke and BobbiSueEllen
Back